Slavery reparations.

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Separatist
captain of 1,000

Re: Slavery reparations.

Post by Separatist »

Don Lemon suggests to a Royal commentator the UK pay reparations. Proceeds to get a history lesson

scottja
captain of 100

Post by scottja »

If my ancestors came to this country after slavery was abolished, wouldnt it be unfair to require me to pay? Just thinking out loud.
Oh and as a requirement to accepting payment the person and all their decedent's are immediately provided a one way airline ticket back to their homeland, and not allowed to return. Oh and the fair market value of government housing and food stamps that they and their ancestors received would be deducted.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

I do think slavery was a terrible thing, but none of my ancestors were directly responsible for it. I always feared I would find a slave trader, but none of them owned slaves. Some were too poor to buy any if they'd wanted to.

Therefore if anyone tells me my ancestors were guilty of this I can disabuse them of the notion.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Fred wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 6:41 pm.Nobody today is a slave and nobody today is a slave owner.
There are quite a few slaves around still or being used by multinational corporations.

When you see something which is "Made in China", it can be made by free people (or as free as someone can be in the PRC), or by people enslaved in a prison camp. A few years ago, some people found a message hidden in a pack of Christmas cards sold by a major UK supermarket telling them to contact a particular journalist. It turned out the journalist had been kept in that Chinese prison and people who still knew him were in there and were making the cards.

Cheap clothing is also made by slaves in some countries.

The sex industry is also full of women (and a few men) who are either imprisoned or trafficked, so they count as slaves. That occurs within the USA itself.

Slavery is still very much around. Even within western countries. It's just not out in the open.

Separatist
captain of 1,000

Post by Separatist »

Niemand wrote: September 23rd, 2022, 3:29 am I do think slavery was a terrible thing, but none of my ancestors were directly responsible for it. I always feared I would find a slave trader, but none of them owned slaves. Some were too poor to buy any if they'd wanted to.

Therefore if anyone tells me my ancestors were guilty of this I can disabuse them of the notion.
Why would you "fear" if any of your ancestors were "guilty"? This was a common practice for centuries and accepted by 90% of the population. If you lived 200, 500, 1000, 3000 yrs ago, you probably would have accepted the social norms as well. You would probably find some of your ancestors on both sides of the equation. I would be more fascinated to learn more than fearful.

We also need to understand that nobody back then had any of the industrial comforts we have today, which are immense, and that many people probably preferred to be a servant / slave and the somewhat security of that position rather than the insecure alternative. It was so prevalent, that God even gave instructions on being a good servant and good master. We shouldn't judge the situation of our ancestors, but be fascinated by it and learn from it.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Separatist wrote: September 23rd, 2022, 12:20 pm Why would you "fear" if any of your ancestors were "guilty"? This was a common practice for centuries and accepted by 90% of the population.
Many things have been common practices for centuries. Robbery, rape, incest, murder, assault, drunkenness etc. All the things we don't like talking about and not really great things to have up your family tree.

I feel no guilt for the slave trade although I think it was repulsive. It is still with us in whorehouses and Chinese concentration camps that make goods for the west. Yes, I am aware some slaves were overseers in modern history or tutors in classical times, but they were never the majority... most of it was donkey work.

You are wrong to suggest everybody favoured slavery. Two hundred years ago there was a notable section of white society who opposed it even back then. Samuel Johnson picked up on some of the irony back in 1775 when he wrote, "how is it that we hear the loudest yelps for liberty among the drivers of negroes?"

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

:lol:

Black Panthers-linked Marxist professor just found out that she is the descendant of a slave owner and a Mayflower settler — and can't handle the news
February 23, 2023

Angela Davis is a Marxist University of California professor who won the Soviet Union's Lenin Peace :?: Prize and was once accused of supplying weapons to a black supremacist who went on to murder Superior Court Judge Harold Haley and two inmates.

The 79-year-old identitarian, one of the founders of critical race theory and a former Black Panther, was shocked to learn on Tuesday's episode of PBS' "Finding Your Roots" that she is the descendant of a slave owner as well as of one of America's first settlers.

Full article here - https://www.theblaze.com/news/black-pan ... Daily%20AM

CaptainM
captain of 100

Post by CaptainM »

Maybe our black brothers and sisters should look in the mirror and over their shoulders. What would Christ have us do?

https://www.brighteon.com/1d08c674-720a ... 4c6574e207