I was able to say this and NOT get exxed!

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

I was able to say this and NOT get exxed!

Post by LDS Physician »

I'm sort of proud of myself. I gave 2 talks in Stake Conference and was able to say the following in one of them without getting exxed, censored, otherwise chided:

"The covenant path can be your idol. You can check all of the boxes on that covenant path and still turn out being a turd big enough to cheer when they condemn the Savior to death by crucifixion."

:D

(I was talking about modern-day idolatry and got into the fact that "members of the church" in Christ's day thought they were righteous because they followed the letter of the law to a T ... meanwhile, their hearts were void of charity, compassion, righteousness)

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: I was able to say this and NOT get exxed!

Post by Chip »

That sentence might have temporarily lit a warning indicator in people's minds, but they would have quickly determined that you weren't actually questioning the efficacy of the Covenant Path (tm) or the infallibility of the PSR's. You were just talking about their human frailty. I bet they figured that the church was even MORE true since you said those hard-to-hear things. As long as it's them being challenged, and not their idols, it's cool.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Good stuff. I've never said such from the pulpit, just in Sunday school. People say follow the prophet, and then my wife or I say, follow Christ, don't put anyone between you and the Lord, they are not infallible, their arms are still flesh, be careful of idolatry, etc. We are kind of known for it. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

You would have to be exceedingly direct and explicit in order to get a non-conforming message across the rameumpton into people's minds. Most anything you say, though it seems daring, will automatically be construed as church-positive through reflexive mental gymnastics by the hearers. I mean, they don't think it's true that anyone could actually entertain any real criticism and, certainly, nobody would dare voice it.

To get them to understand what you are thinking, you would have to read some scriptures about the prophet teaching lies and the people who follow him being misled and destroyed ....and then.... because they would be insisting in their minds that you are obviously talking about people like David Koresh.... you would have to say that THIS IS ABOUT US, IN THIS CHURCH, RIGHT NOW! ....At that point, they would not be able to trick themselves into thinking you were talking something else. All they would register is that you are an enemy. They wouldn't know what in the hell you were actually talking about, other than you just spoke very hostile fightin' words. Then, you would get assailed by the stake presidency, with full support of the bishoprics and members.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Post by darknesstolight »

Chip wrote: โ†‘September 21st, 2022, 7:09 am You would have to be exceedingly direct and explicit in order to get a non-conforming message across the rameumpton into people's minds. Most anything you say, though it seems daring, will automatically be construed as church-positive through reflexive mental gymnastics by the hearers. I mean, they don't think it's true that anyone could actually entertain any real criticism and, certainly, nobody would dare voice it.

To get them to understand what you are thinking, you would have to read some scriptures about the prophet teaching lies and the people who follow him being misled and destroyed ....and then.... because they would be insisting in their minds that you are obviously talking about people like David Koresh.... you would have to say that THIS IS ABOUT US, IN THIS CHURCH, RIGHT NOW! ....At that point, they would not be able to trick themselves into thinking you were talking something else. All they would register is that you are an enemy. They wouldn't know what in the hell you were actually talking about, other than you just spoke very hostile fightin' words. Then, you would get assailed by the stake presidency, with full support of the bishoprics and members.
Yup...

The Red Pill
captain of 1,000

Post by The Red Pill »

LDS Physician wrote: โ†‘September 21st, 2022, 6:16 am I'm sort of proud of myself. I gave 2 talks in Stake Conference and was able to say the following in one of them without getting exxed, censored, otherwise chided:

"The covenant path can be your idol. You can check all of the boxes on that covenant path and still turn out being a turd big enough to cheer when they condemn the Savior to death by crucifixion."

:D

(I was talking about modern-day idolatry and got into the fact that "members of the church" in Christ's day thought they were righteous because they followed the letter of the law to a T ... meanwhile, their hearts were void of charity, compassion, righteousness)
Put yourself down for a silver star! More people need to say these sort of things.

I gave a talk a little over a year ago...covered doing your own research on all things covid, Ether 8, freedom and free agency to choose. A high council friend of mine said the TBM bishop was squirming and looked constipated the entire time...

....I consider that one of my biggest successes.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Wait...your claiming you said "turd" across the podium?

I call bull crap.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

tribrac wrote: โ†‘September 21st, 2022, 9:50 am Wait...your claiming you said "turd" across the podium?

I call bull crap.
You don't know me very well then. It was leadership section of conference which is quite informal.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

tribrac wrote: โ†‘September 21st, 2022, 9:50 am Wait...your claiming you said "turd" across the podium?

I call bull crap.
Oh, I have heard far worse than that across the podium living in Australia. Australians swear across the podium from time to time.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

gkearney wrote: โ†‘September 21st, 2022, 11:26 am

I call bull crap.
Oh, I have heard far worse than that across the podium living in Australia. Australians swear across the podium from time to time.
Lol, once on my mission this elder thought he was using the diminutive form of a word, but instead he kept saying the "B" word. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

In England the word crap is as bad as the word sh!t. My parents were serving a mission in a British ward that also had some American military members. One Sunday an American woman was giving a talk, and said โ€œAfter my grandmother died, we had to clean all the crap out of her attic....โ€.

Some gasps were heard, and kids giggled.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

So you were taking it easy on them... :)
I think we'll all be presented with a defining moment when we can no longer be coy about what is happening in the church.

solonan
captain of 100

Post by solonan »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: โ†‘September 21st, 2022, 12:17 pm So you were taking it easy on them... :)
I think we'll all be presented with a defining moment when we can no longer be coy about what is happening in the church.
I, for one, am looking for it.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

"People say follow the prophet, and then my wife or I say, follow Christ, "

Same thing in our ward - just last Sunday (School), a Brother said "follow the Prophet" and I immediately said, "And the prophet says to Follow Jesus Christ."

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

BroJones wrote: โ†‘September 21st, 2022, 1:41 pm "People say follow the prophet, and then my wife or I say, follow Christ, "

Same thing in our ward - just last Sunday (School), a Brother said "follow the Prophet" and I immediately said, "And the prophet says to Follow Jesus Christ."
With a GIANT steaming pile of "we can't lead you astray" and you can "trust us completely."

When are you guys gonna wake up?

solonan
captain of 100

Post by solonan »

I have given that in many a testimony meeting. I've also said the drought we're having is a covenant curse. The sacrament is like a marriage covenant, the Holy Ghost is something you seek not given to you because someone put their hands on your head, all ordinances need ratified by the Holy Ghost etc. I will be in the SP's office in Oct for teaching false doctrine.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Lizzy60 wrote: โ†‘September 21st, 2022, 11:53 am In England the word crap is as bad as the word sh!t. My parents were serving a mission in a British ward that also had some American military members. One Sunday an American woman was giving a talk, and said โ€œAfter my grandmother died, we had to clean all the crap out of her attic....โ€.

Crap in that context is not the equivalent of sh*t. Crap is used all the time here.
"The weather's crap", "the goalkeeper was crap", "I'm feeling crap", "the fish & chips were crap"....

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Robin Hood wrote: โ†‘September 21st, 2022, 2:16 pm
Lizzy60 wrote: โ†‘September 21st, 2022, 11:53 am In England the word crap is as bad as the word sh!t. My parents were serving a mission in a British ward that also had some American military members. One Sunday an American woman was giving a talk, and said โ€œAfter my grandmother died, we had to clean all the crap out of her attic....โ€.

Crap in that context is not the equivalent of sh*t. Crap is used all the time here.
"The weather's crap", "the goalkeeper was crap", "I'm feeling crap", "the fish & chips were crap"....
This was in Norwich in 2002. Could it be that 20 years ago it wasnโ€™t as commonplace?

Anyway, thanks to LDS Physician, turd is my go-to from now on.

BenMcCrea
captain of 100

Post by BenMcCrea »

Someone said โ€˜FU*Kโ€™ on the stand in the Kilmarnock Ward just a few weeks after I joined the Church.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

BenMcCrea wrote: โ†‘September 21st, 2022, 2:37 pm Someone said โ€˜FU*Kโ€™ on the stand in the Kilmarnock Ward just a few weeks after I joined the Church.
An interesting reaction to you joining the church. ;)

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Robin Hood wrote: โ†‘September 21st, 2022, 4:00 pm
BenMcCrea wrote: โ†‘September 21st, 2022, 2:37 pm Someone said โ€˜FU*Kโ€™ on the stand in the Kilmarnock Ward just a few weeks after I joined the Church.
Hahaha๐Ÿ˜‚that's a good one๐Ÿ˜

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Cruiserdude wrote: โ†‘September 21st, 2022, 4:12 pm
Robin Hood wrote: โ†‘September 21st, 2022, 4:00 pm
Hahaha๐Ÿ˜‚that's a good one๐Ÿ˜
Robin Hood always delivers! :-D

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

LDS Physician wrote: โ†‘September 21st, 2022, 6:16 amI was able to say this and NOT get exxed!
Nice clickbait title! โค๏ธ
Reluctant Watchman wrote: โ†‘September 21st, 2022, 12:17 pm I think we'll all be presented with a defining moment when we can no longer be coy about what is happening in the church.
And then your next talk at Church will be your last talk at Church, if you even get to give a next one.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: โ†‘September 21st, 2022, 1:49 pm
BroJones wrote: โ†‘September 21st, 2022, 1:41 pm "People say follow the prophet, and then my wife or I say, follow Christ, "

With a GIANT steaming pile of "we can't lead you astray" and you can "trust us completely."

OK - so I'll be listening at the upcoming General Conf for
1 - Follow Jesus Christ
or
2- With a GIANT steaming pile of "we can't lead you astray" and you can "trust us completely."

I predict 1, and not 2, at the upcoming General Conf. We'll see.
Game on.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

BroJones wrote: โ†‘September 21st, 2022, 8:17 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: โ†‘September 21st, 2022, 1:49 pm

OK - so I'll be listening at the upcoming General Conf for
1 - Follow Jesus Christ
or
2- With a GIANT steaming pile of "we can't lead you astray" and you can "trust us completely."

I predict 1, and not 2, at the upcoming General Conf. We'll see.
Game on.
It doesnโ€™t matter if itโ€™s said in this GC. It has been repeated by nearly every church president for 170 years. Iโ€™m still surprised you guys think the Lord speaks to these men, especially after the past two years.