Prepping Maps

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Re: Prepping Maps

Post by BeNotDeceived »

harakim wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 10:32 pm
Original_Intent wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 10:10 pm
harakim wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 9:56 pm
Niemand wrote: January 21st, 2022, 6:45 pm

Some areas will be a turkey shoot. Take Central Scotland, for example, which I know very well, it includes Glasgow and Edinburgh (both major cities), Faslane (which is where the UK's nuclear subs are stationed), Rosyth (one of the UK's main naval facilities), several RAF stations (e.g. Leuchars), several major power stations, a number of significant army bases (e.g. Kirkliston), a major chemical plant (Grangemouth) and that's just off the top of my head. That means multiple targets within a hundred miles of each other. Glasgow particularly is going to be in trouble, not only does it have nearly a million people living in or near it, the fact it is within a short distance of the nuclear sub base at Faslane makes the area a double target. Half of Scotland at least will be affected by the fall out.

By the way, I think it's obvious that the USA has the best hardware in military terms, but some of that will fail (simply because these things do). The Russians and Chinese do have weaponry which is *very* formidable, and not to be sneered at. Sure, some of it will be unreliable (Russian tech tends to be like that), but they've a lot of it and some of it is advanced. The worst part of it is that China probably wouldn't have all this if the west hadn't turned it into its manufacturing base, which has boosted their ability to build this stuff. I'm not hugely worried about Iran or North Korea although both have potential to cause trouble within their region.

These missiles don't have to be fully accurate, in the NYC area, if you hit New Jersey or even the east of Long Island rather than Manhattan, you're going to kill hundreds of thousands, minimum. In many parts of western Europe, you could land those things anywhere and do significant damage. Maybe not most of Scandinavia, but almost anywhere else.

Also, I suspect Idaho should have more splotches. I know a lot of it is remote, and that's why survivalists go there, but we get some missionaries from there and they tell me there are a lot of military facilties there, it seems to be one of the state's main employers. You can bet the Russians and Chinese are aware of most of them.
People greatly underestimate the US military. It can only be destroyed from within. You are right that the biggest risk is that we manufacture our military equipment and other critical things with parts made in the countries of our adversaries. The next biggest risk is that we are leaving things open to cyber attacks. Other than that, there is basically a 0% chance another country could successfully invade and it's very unlikely they could even have a successful nuclear strike without treason or divine intervention.
Our economy is a bigger risk than anything you mentioned. If our economy collapses, our military industrial complex collapses.
Other than cyber attacks and the fact we manufacture critical items overseas, what threat is there to our economy?
Ballooning debt that may even sink the hopes of a Slog type Frog. :lol:

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

LostCreekAcres wrote: September 20th, 2022, 8:38 am
I always try to remember this when I'm stuck in traffic and grumbling because I'm late or because some other perceived ill fate has befallen me... Divine Providence may be at hand. How many folks were able to escape the 911 tragedy because they had spilled coffee on themselves and were late, etc?
Exactly! A month ago we were heading back to Houston from our country cottage. 10 minutes into the trip my husband asked me to turn around. He had forgotten his wallet. The added time going back to get the wallet, may have saved our lives.

This is what we rolled up on as we entered the greater Houston area... Eight cars involved. They were still cutting people out of one of the vehicles as we slowly inched through on the shoulder.
Attachments
wreck - 2.jpg
wreck - 2.jpg (155.79 KiB) Viewed 255 times
wreck -1.jpg
wreck -1.jpg (108.17 KiB) Viewed 255 times

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Niemand wrote: January 21st, 2022, 6:45 pm
harakim wrote: January 21st, 2022, 6:03 pm
mudflap wrote: January 21st, 2022, 9:31 am
Niemand wrote: January 21st, 2022, 8:57 am

That doesn't even cover the whole thing. That's worst for the Canadians of course, but some of these will affect parts of the USA as well.
I think a lot of them would get shot down, but some would make it to target.

no one really knows.
The reason the splotches are so large is because the missiles are somewhat inaccurate
Some areas will be a turkey shoot.

Also, I suspect Idaho should have more splotches. I know a lot of it is remote, and that's why survivalists go there, but we get some missionaries from there and they tell me there are a lot of military facilties there, it seems to be one of the state's main employers. You can bet the Russians and Chinese are aware of most of them.
The first city lighted by nuclear power was Arco, Idaho. There are over a dozen nuclear reactors there. It is not on the map because it is Idaho's area 51. They have a naval base there. Go figure. 800 or so miles from the ocean. Big names there. Westinghouse. Others I can't think of right now. The secret base is an hour west of Idaho Falls. I lived in Darlington for a few years and many ward members work there. It is a lot like Utah's Dugway. Nobody ever talks about it.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

Niemand wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 1:05 am
harakim wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 9:56 pm People greatly underestimate the US military. It can only be destroyed from within. You are right that the biggest risk is that we manufacture our military equipment and other critical things with parts made in the countries of our adversaries. The next biggest risk is that we are leaving things open to cyber attacks. Other than that, there is basically a 0% chance another country could successfully invade and it's very unlikely they could even have a successful nuclear strike without treason or divine intervention.
The US military is huge... but that's not to say that some parts of it don't screw up or its hardware go wrong. .

An invasion of the USA (or for that matter Russia or China) would be almost impossible to pull off in my view, without substantially weakening it first.
yup - see bolding. Someone else mentioned "it has to come from the inside". Yup. 1+1=2

-food/supply shortages
-False Flag event - Let's go to war. 9/11 2.0
-Foreign war losses
-economic collapse
-starvation, societal collapse
-invasion

get out of the cities as you see these happening. .... now?

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Fred wrote: September 20th, 2022, 10:37 pm The first city lighted by nuclear power was Arco, Idaho. There are over a dozen nuclear reactors there. It is not on the map because it is Idaho's area 51. They have a naval base there. Go figure. 800 or so miles from the ocean. Big names there. Westinghouse. Others I can't think of right now. The secret base is an hour west of Idaho Falls. I lived in Darlington for a few years and many ward members work there. It is a lot like Utah's Dugway. Nobody ever talks about it.
That's almost as good as Darwin in the far north of Australia. Someone pointed out to me the Aussie army had a base on the coast with a port facility while the Aussie navy had an inland one of around the same size. No one in the federal government there had the smarts to get the two to exchange. At least when I was there many years ago...

I can imagine the US Navy will test out all kinds of things there like weaponry, armour, drones and so on. Some of that may account for some proportion of UFO sightings.

The Russian and Chinese governments have a lot of things wrong with them, but when it comes to gathering intelligence they have always been thorough. They'll be aware of facilities that the average US citizen won't have heard of, unless they work there. They're similar... they'll have bases off in bleak forsaken bits of Siberia, the Gobi Desert etc. And the US government will in turn be aware of most of those and have nukes pointed their way.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

LostCreekAcres wrote: September 20th, 2022, 8:38 am *you know how I survived that 1999 downtown EF2 tornado? Every day at lunch on a certain day of the week, I would take a walk with a friend who worked at the BLM - we would walk up State Street to the capital, and then back down to our offices - I worked at the phone company on 2nd South and 2nd East. Well, he had an unexpected meeting that day and had to cancel. We would have been right in the middle of the storm where all the trees blew down near the capital, had we gone out. Divine Providence...
I always try to remember this when I'm stuck in traffic and grumbling because I'm late or because some other perceived ill fate has befallen me... Divine Providence may be at hand. How many folks were able to escape the 911 tragedy because they had spilled coffee on themselves and were late, etc?
[/quote]

I was down at the memorial to the Lockerbie Bombing a few weeks ago. As you may recall this is when a Pan Am airliner going to the States was blown up in the late 80s, killing 259 on board and taking out a couple of streets of a Scottish town killing eleven on the ground. (The entire Pan Am operation was destroyed by this incident, because no one wanted to fly with them anymore.)

Some people overslept or had bad dreams and never caught that flight. I don't know what the deal in the town of Lockerbie was, but that was a matter of fluke as well. In a few seconds, the aircraft would have been over the hills to the north and in a few minutes, it would have been out over the Atlantic.

https://www.britannica.com/event/Pan-Am-flight-103

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

I just finished reading "one second after" - it's pretty grim. He shows how most of the town dies off because:

- they are on meds
- they are old
- or they just starve.

I think I have some pushback / alternative thoughts on how an EMP would play out - although I agree with much of the book. I think he missed some things:

- I think if an EMP struck in the Spring that many folks would definitely plant seeds. I don't think everyone would just sit around and starve to death. He doesn't mention any kind of gardening going on at all in the town they live in after the EMP.

- there's only one big organized gang in the book. I think there would be several small ones, as close as they were to some of the bigger cities.

- I don't think it would take me 6 months to figure out how to rig up an EFI motor to run without all the electronics. Also, none of the characters voice a lot of concern over gasoline. They just drive into town normally for the most part. I would think there would be rationing of gasoline - probably more than rationing of food.

Anyway, good book, makes you think, as it should.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

mudflap wrote: February 8th, 2024, 7:33 pm I just finished reading "one second after" - it's pretty grim. He shows how most of the town dies off because:
- I don't think it would take me 6 months to figure out how to rig up an EFI motor to run without all the electronics. Also, none of the characters voice a lot of concern over gasoline. They just drive into town normally for the most part. I would think there would be rationing of gasoline - probably more than rationing of food.
As a related idea, I've been thinking about getting a boiler and steam engine/belt for turning an electric motor for short-term things, or with the right attachments, for turning saws, light-work lathe, sander, mill, etc.

I've seen some interesting things with a fresnel lens, too. Though, mostly a proof of concept.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Dusty Wanderer wrote: February 9th, 2024, 12:02 pm
mudflap wrote: February 8th, 2024, 7:33 pm I just finished reading "one second after" - it's pretty grim. He shows how most of the town dies off because:
As a related idea, I've been thinking about getting a boiler and steam engine/belt for turning an electric motor for short-term things, or with the right attachments, for turning saws, light-work lathe, sander, mill, etc.

I've seen some interesting things with a fresnel lens, too. Though, mostly a proof of concept.
That's pretty interesting. Though, I wondered where I might find a steam engine. I searched eBay for steam power and found many. Several under $100. In my case, I'm not sure what I would run with it. I use solar and if I need more, I have pallets of new solar panels. Whenever I buy a new tool, I get a battery operated one if possible.