General Conference October 2022 - Rumors & Predictions

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Re: General Conference October 2022 - Rumors, Predictions, Live Thread, and Recap

Post by Subcomandante »

Fred wrote: September 19th, 2022, 10:13 am
Subcomandante wrote: September 19th, 2022, 8:09 am
h_p wrote: September 19th, 2022, 7:26 am Yesterday, their wise and thoughtful leader declared the pandemic over (fortuitous, completely coincidental timing for the midterms), so maybe they'll announce full capacity this time?
Lizzy is right here. It'll be half-capacity for the foreseeable future due to parking constraints in and around Temple Square as construction continues.
That is incredibly stupid. Riding the Trax train is free within the city so parking has nothing to do with anything. If they are willing to pay a small bus fare to attend conference they can park as far away as Utah County and ride a cheap bus to the conference center. The reason they don't want full attendance as they don't want to have to explain why only 6 people showed up.
Not everyone that goes to Conference is from Utah, otherwise I would concede your point. I remember taking the bus to the Sandy Trax line up from Provo and then taking the Trax straight up to downtown.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: General Conference October 2022 - Rumors, Predictions, Live Thread, and Recap

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

CuriousThinker wrote: September 19th, 2022, 8:33 am We recently had a visit from the area authority and I am told that they are not calling it missionary work anymore, but "ministering to all". I'm not sure if that's another top down name change/revamp or the area authority made it up on his own. I will be listening for that phrase this conference.
I think there will be another huge push for young men to go on missions.
A whole lot of quoting others quotes.
Rebranding is the extent of the apostolic "revelation" in the church today.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Subcomandante wrote: September 19th, 2022, 12:00 pm
h_p wrote: September 19th, 2022, 7:26 am Yesterday, their wise and thoughtful leader declared the pandemic over (fortuitous, completely coincidental timing for the midterms), so maybe they'll announce full capacity this time?
Lizzy is right here. It'll be half-capacity for the foreseeable future due to parking constraints in and around Temple Square as construction continues.
That is incredibly stupid. Riding the Trax train is free within the city so parking has nothing to do with anything. If they are willing to pay a small bus fare to attend conference they can park as far away as Utah County and ride a cheap bus to the conference center. The reason they don't want full attendance as they don't want to have to explain why only 6 people showed up.
Not everyone that goes to Conference is from Utah, otherwise I would concede your point. I remember taking the bus to the Sandy Trax line up from Provo and then taking the Trax straight up to downtown.
You don't have to be from Utah to ride the bus or Trax. You can park at Walmart.

If you fly in, the Trax takes you right from the airport to the conference center.

solonan
captain of 100

Post by solonan »

😂 well I don't know if profits are down. My brother, while reading the new handbook changes, tells me that they'd like you to continue paying tithing after you are exd. I didn't check that, I was dumbfounded.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

blitzinstripes wrote: September 19th, 2022, 10:49 am My prediction: Nothing of any significance. Nothing prophetic. No "Thus saith the Lord " moments. No focus on being a disciple of Christ. It will be more "obedience" to the church. The church is the only safety. Follow the profit. Lots of over the top prophet worship.....He's so cute and adorable. He just turned 98. Let's all stand and cry when he enters the room. More of the covenant path talk. Big push on tithing and it's carrot stick, temple attendance. Maybe throw a bone or two to the LGBT crowd. We won't JUDGE you.

They know that active membership is down, which means invariably that profits are also down. Maybe they will bump tithing to 15%. Gotta make back those spreadsheet losses somehow.
I'll scale this on a 0 to 10 scale (0 being not at all probable, 10 being a nearly absolute certainty)

"Nothing of any significance" - 3
"Nothing prophetic" - by LDSFF standards 8 by TBM standards 3
"Thus saith the Lord" said by the prophet - (-1)
No focus on being a disciple of Christ - 0
Church is the only safety - 8
Follow the prophet - 9
Over the top prophet worship - 1 (though some here might rate this a 6 or 7)
Let's all stand when he enters the room - 11
Covenant path mentioned - 11
Tithing - 9
Temple Attendance - 9
Bone or two to LGBT - 8
Bone or two to conservatives - 8
Tithing upped to 15pct: - 0

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Fred wrote: September 19th, 2022, 12:11 pm
Subcomandante wrote: September 19th, 2022, 12:00 pm

Well, last time that I was in Utah, the TRAX hadn't even started construction out to the airport just yet. I'll concede your point on that.

But you must also know, many people like to drive and show off in their glitzy vehicles. Social status thing, which should not exist in a true Zion.
You don't have to be from Utah to ride the bus or Trax. You can park at Walmart.

If you fly in, the Trax takes you right from the airport to the conference center.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

solonan wrote: September 19th, 2022, 3:19 pm 😂 well I don't know if profits are down. My brother, while reading the new handbook changes, tells me that they'd like you to continue paying tithing after you are exd. I didn't check that, I was dumbfounded.
Here is the link to the latest handbook:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... k?lang=eng

These things seem to be the case:

1) You can't search it for words or phrases.
2) You cannot download it and then search it.
3) It is available only on-line.
4) It is organized in a way to guide your thinking, not answer your questions.

Am I not understanding something?

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Chip wrote: September 19th, 2022, 3:31 pm Here is the link to the latest handbook:

You can download it in pdf form. Click the gear icon, and there's an option to download it. At least it works from the website. Here's the direct link: https://assets.ldscdn.org/5b/b6/5bb6fae ... f?lang=eng

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

h_p wrote: September 19th, 2022, 3:49 pm
Chip wrote: September 19th, 2022, 3:31 pm Here is the link to the latest handbook:

You can download it in pdf form. Click the gear icon, and there's an option to download it. At least it works from the website. Here's the direct link: https://assets.ldscdn.org/5b/b6/5bb6fae ... f?lang=eng

Thanks. I couldn't find that.

So, in section 32.11.4 it states that those who've had their membership withdrawn CANNOT pay tithing.
Those whose Church membership has been withdrawn may not enjoy any privileges of membership.
• They may not enter a temple or wear the temple
garment. If the person has a temple recommend,
the leader cancels it in LCR.
• They may not exercise the priesthood.
• They may not partake of the sacrament or participate in the sustaining of Church officers.
• They may not give a talk, lesson, or prayer in
Church settings or lead an activity in church.
Nor may they serve in a Church calling.
They may not pay tithes and offerings.

madvin
captain of 1,000

Post by madvin »

They will definitely talk about climate change (the next big scam to the forefront).
They will continue to hammer us on racism (which originally meant the ability to identify with your ethnic heritage. One was racist because one wanted to be with others of the same ethnicity)
I do look forward to other topics though.

Severed Lips
captain of 10

Post by Severed Lips »

This is the worst GC rumor thread ever.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Severed Lips wrote: September 20th, 2022, 3:16 pm This is the worst GC rumor thread ever.
Kudos to your screen name though. :)

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Post by gradles21 »

Chip wrote: September 19th, 2022, 8:08 am Maybe a talk on "how a baffling case of myocarditis in our brave five-year-old grandson helped us to #HearHim and further commit ourselves to the
Covenant Path".

Christianlee
captain of 1,000

Post by Christianlee »

They will say the same things they have said since RMN became President of the Church. Many active members will be in the mountains or at the beach when the meetings are being held. On Monday members will go back to their daily lives and very few will remember what was said.

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Post by gradles21 »

I predict that RMN will be worshipped more than Jesus.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Here's my prediction. They will quote each other more than the scriptures.

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Post by Mindfields »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: September 20th, 2022, 3:43 pm Here's my prediction. They will quote each other more than the scriptures.
And then later in sacrament talks the members will quote them quoting each other. One eternal round...

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

Severed Lips wrote: September 20th, 2022, 3:16 pm This is the worst GC rumor thread ever.
Care to explain? Maybe just a clutch-my-pearls moment, sprinkled with a little hyperbole.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Mindfields wrote: September 20th, 2022, 3:53 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: September 20th, 2022, 3:43 pm Here's my prediction. They will quote each other more than the scriptures.
And then later in sacrament talks the members will quote them quoting each other. One eternal round...
I'm guilty as charged. :)

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

blitzinstripes wrote: September 19th, 2022, 10:49 am They know that active membership is down, which means invariably that profits are also down. Maybe they will bump tithing to 15%. Gotta make back those spreadsheet losses somehow.
They have enough in stocks and other interest-bearing or profit-generating income that every single LDS soul could cease paying tithing and they'd be fine.

Edit: meaning they'd be fine, still quite wealthy - not that they would feel fine with tithing losses.
Last edited by Silver Pie on September 20th, 2022, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

solonan wrote: September 19th, 2022, 3:19 pm 😂 well I don't know if profits are down. My brother, while reading the new handbook changes, tells me that they'd like you to continue paying tithing after you are exd. I didn't check that, I was dumbfounded.
Wow! 😲 That's a new one! Their tithing profits must have really taken a hit in the last few years.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

h_p wrote: September 19th, 2022, 3:49 pm You can download it in pdf form. Click the gear icon, and there's an option to download it. At least it works from the website. Here's the direct link: https://assets.ldscdn.org/5b/b6/5bb6fae ... f?lang=eng
I couldn't find it.
Church leaders teach members the principles of tithes and other offerings and encourage members to live these principles. People who are not members of the Church may also make contributions. However, only members of the Church may pay tithing.
Tithes are holy to the Lord, and members honor Him by paying tithing.
The Church normally discourages making in-kind contributions (non-monetary) as tithing and other offerings.

Interesting:
Tithing is the donation of one-tenth of one’s income to God’s Church . . .
All members who have income should pay tithing

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I missed that. Probably because I was searching "tithing" instead of "tithes".
Chip wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:03 pm So, in section 32.11.4 it states that those who've had their membership withdrawn CANNOT pay tithing.
Those whose Church membership has been withdrawn may not enjoy any privileges of membership.
• They may not enter a temple or wear the temple
garment. If the person has a temple recommend,
the leader cancels it in LCR.
• They may not exercise the priesthood.
• They may not partake of the sacrament or participate in the sustaining of Church officers.
• They may not give a talk, lesson, or prayer in
Church settings or lead an activity in church.
Nor may they serve in a Church calling.
They may not pay tithes and offerings.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

CuriousThinker wrote: September 19th, 2022, 10:19 am
I don't think it is for lack of attendance. Didn't that young adult one have a lot of people? I think someone mentioned people were turned away.
It could be that they just want it at 50% capacity cause of Covid fears and the parking excuse works well.
How can a person afraid of their own shadow (covid hoax) have even the tiniest amount of faith in God? We know that covid like any corona virus like the common cold or flu is not even a remote threat to anyone with a healthy immune system. Maybe they will close the temples because someone might fart. Same threat level.

Perhaps they could have suggested keeping the Word of Wisdom or to take 10 cents worth of Ivermectin every month if they are a high risk. But to support the fraud, close temples, change church to zoom, require masks which are of no benefit whatsoever, just makes them look stupid and makes people realize that they have zero faith in God.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

Silver Pie wrote: September 20th, 2022, 5:21 pm
h_p wrote: September 19th, 2022, 3:49 pm You can download it in pdf form. Click the gear icon, and there's an option to download it. At least it works from the website. Here's the direct link: https://assets.ldscdn.org/5b/b6/5bb6fae ... f?lang=eng
I couldn't find it.
Church leaders teach members the principles of tithes and other offerings and encourage members to live these principles. People who are not members of the Church may also make contributions. However, only members of the Church may pay tithing.
Tithes are holy to the Lord, and members honor Him by paying tithing.
The Church normally discourages making in-kind contributions (non-monetary) as tithing and other offerings.

Interesting:
Tithing is the donation of one-tenth of one’s income to God’s Church . . .
All members who have income should pay tithing
Someone already posted it, but it's on page 324 of the pdf. As usual, the ldsff rumor mill got it wrong.
Screenshot_20220920-164430.png
Screenshot_20220920-164430.png (411.99 KiB) Viewed 834 times