Remembering Lorin C. Woolley

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
Luke
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 9456
Location: England

Remembering Lorin C. Woolley

Post by Luke »

It was the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II today. I am, as you know, from the UK, and the knowledge of this fact is inescapable for me. The news of it is everywhere, and it will of course be on my mind.

But there is also another who I will be thinking of today.

His name is Lorin Calvin Woolley.

Lorin was born on 23 October 1856 in Salt Lake City, to John W. Woolley, another faithful man of great renown.

He lived and worked on the farm, and was a brilliant horse rider.

He was ordained an Elder at age sixteen.

He spent his Sundays endlessly speaking about Mormonism. He had a love for the truth.

He worked as a bodyguard for John Taylor during the underground days, and delivered correspondence for those in hiding from the wicked persecutors of the true disciples of Jesus Christ.

His house was a frequent destination for those in the underground circle, as was his father’s.

It was at the house of his father that the foundation was laid for a Mormon movement committed to perpetuating all of the principles of the Fullness of the Gospel.

On 26 September 1886, President John Taylor was encouraged to ask the Lord whether Celestial Plural Marriage was to be continued as a practise or not, as he was under intense pressure to abandon it.

That night, Lorin stood guard for President Taylor who retired to a bedroom. Lorin was very tired due to him just completing a three-day trip, but faithfully carried out his duties (a characteristic which defined his very life).

As he stood watch, he noticed a light emerge from under the door, and heard voices ring in the room. Startled, he arose to take action, but the Spirit of God assured him that all was right. This satisfied his worried soul.

The next morning, John Taylor emerged from his room, and told all those present the news: Celestial Plural Marriage was not to be abandoned! It must be kept alive—God cannot revoke an everlasting covenant. He had been visited by the Prophet Joseph Smith and the Lord Jesus Christ, who informed him of this fact.

President Taylor sat those present down and spoke for eight hours, expounding upon the Principle of Celestial Plural Marriage. He told them that he would rather have his limbs cut off than assent to the abandonment of that precious Principle!

In the wake of this exciting happening, the President set apart five men who were to perpetuate this Principle regardless of any circumstances—this sacred law simply had to be preserved.

Many in the Church were aware of this fact, although it was kept quiet for a time to protect those set apart unto this duty, especially after this Principle had been publicly abandoned. One Mission President wrote to the President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles:

“President Taylor died in exile for this principle and he gave men authority to perform the ceremony of marriage which authority I have been told was never revoked . . .” (Letter to Francis M. Lyman, 10 October 1906, as quoted in D. Michael Quinn, Extensions of Power, pg. 809)

Lorin was one of these faithful, elect men. He was faithful to his covenant, and lived the law himself. Thanks to Lorin, there are many today who have received their commission unto the same end, down a line which can be traced back to President John Taylor.

He was transported by the Spirit to the Yucatan to preach the Fullness of the Gospel to a group of Indians and to give them the Fullness of the Priesthood.

He died 88 years ago today, on 19 September 1934.

Lorin’s exploits for the Fullness of the Gospel can’t, and won’t, be forgotten by those who love the truth.

Simply put, Lorin Woolley was utterly brilliant. Thank God for men like Brother Woolley!
lorincwoolley.jpg
lorincwoolley.jpg (43.72 KiB) Viewed 436 times
lorincwoolley1.jpg
lorincwoolley1.jpg (581.16 KiB) Viewed 436 times

User avatar
Dusty Wanderer
captain of 100
Posts: 432

Re: Remembering Lorin C. Woolley

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

Luke, thanks for this historical vignette. Question: you say that there is an unbroken link back to those five who had been given the sealing authority? Do you know who any of them are today?

User avatar
Dusty Wanderer
captain of 100
Posts: 432

Re: Remembering Lorin C. Woolley

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

Luke wrote: September 19th, 2022, 1:09 pm
President Taylor sat those present down and spoke for eight hours, expounding upon the Principle of Celestial Plural Marriage. He told them that he would rather have his limbs cut off than assent to the abandonment of that precious Principle!
In all sincerity, what are the precious points about this principle? I'm not asking rhetorically, as someone who has already made up his mind and is merely looking to spar. I'm continually studying this out in my mind, not having found the unshakable conviction yet in either direction.

User avatar
Luke
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 9456
Location: England

Re: Remembering Lorin C. Woolley

Post by Luke »

Dusty Wanderer wrote: September 19th, 2022, 1:34 pm Luke, thanks for this historical vignette. Question: you say that there is an unbroken link back to those five who had been given the sealing authority? Do you know who any of them are today?
Many Fundamentalist groups trace their authority back to Woolley, as do many independents.

Ogden Kraut, for example, received Priesthood from Joseph Musser who received Priesthood from Lorin Woolley.

User avatar
Luke
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 9456
Location: England

Re: Remembering Lorin C. Woolley

Post by Luke »

Dusty Wanderer wrote: September 19th, 2022, 1:53 pm
Luke wrote: September 19th, 2022, 1:09 pm
President Taylor sat those present down and spoke for eight hours, expounding upon the Principle of Celestial Plural Marriage. He told them that he would rather have his limbs cut off than assent to the abandonment of that precious Principle!
In all sincerity, what are the precious points about this principle? I'm not asking rhetorically, as someone who has already made up his mind and is merely looking to spar. I'm continually studying this out in my mind, not having found the unshakable conviction yet in either direction.
I believe it’s precious because it’s a law upon which certain blessings are conditioned. Without compliance with said law you can’t receive the blessings.

It’s like having a key to your house. It’s precious because without it, you wouldn’t be able to enter. That’s why you make sure to keep it safe, not lose it, and also not let it into the hands of the wrong people.

User avatar
Dusty Wanderer
captain of 100
Posts: 432

Re: Remembering Lorin C. Woolley

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

Luke wrote: September 19th, 2022, 2:45 pm
Dusty Wanderer wrote: September 19th, 2022, 1:53 pm
Luke wrote: September 19th, 2022, 1:09 pm
President Taylor sat those present down and spoke for eight hours, expounding upon the Principle of Celestial Plural Marriage. He told them that he would rather have his limbs cut off than assent to the abandonment of that precious Principle!
In all sincerity, what are the precious points about this principle? I'm not asking rhetorically, as someone who has already made up his mind and is merely looking to spar. I'm continually studying this out in my mind, not having found the unshakable conviction yet in either direction.
I believe it’s precious because it’s a law upon which certain blessings are conditioned. Without compliance with said law you can’t receive the blessings.

It’s like having a key to your house. It’s precious because without it, you wouldn’t be able to enter. That’s why you make sure to keep it safe, not lose it, and also not let it into the hands of the wrong people.
Thanks for the response. I agree on the basis that, if true, one would be damned by not accepting it, in light of the conditional blessings.

I guess what I was getting at with my question is more along the lines of your house analogy. The key to my house is precious because it allows me to access its many benefits, which can all be enumerated. (eg. shelter, warm bed, security, comfort, store of food, prepare food, etc, etc). There are other gospel principles where other temporal benefits can be enumerated, as well. Are there any precious benefits that can be enjoyed or witnessed in this mortal probation, as there are with monogamous marriages, that are just not attainable without practicing the law of plural wives? Or is it mostly about sacrificing some of those benefits in this probationary estate for greater ones in the next?

User avatar
Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 6341

Re: Remembering Lorin C. Woolley

Post by Sarah »

An article by Brian Hales about Lorin Woolley

https://mormonfundamentalism.com/wp-con ... pdated.pdf

User avatar
Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 11258
Location: England

Re: Remembering Lorin C. Woolley

Post by Robin Hood »

Luke wrote: September 19th, 2022, 1:09 pm It was the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II today. I am, as you know, from the UK, and the knowledge of this fact is inescapable for me. The news of it is everywhere, and it will of course be on my mind.

But there is also another who I will be thinking of today.

His name is Lorin Calvin Woolley.

Lorin was born on 23 October 1856 in Salt Lake City, to John W. Woolley, another faithful man of great renown.

He lived and worked on the farm, and was a brilliant horse rider.

He was ordained an Elder at age sixteen.

He spent his Sundays endlessly speaking about Mormonism. He had a love for the truth.

He worked as a bodyguard for John Taylor during the underground days, and delivered correspondence for those in hiding from the wicked persecutors of the true disciples of Jesus Christ.

His house was a frequent destination for those in the underground circle, as was his father’s.

It was at the house of his father that the foundation was laid for a Mormon movement committed to perpetuating all of the principles of the Fullness of the Gospel.

On 26 September 1886, President John Taylor was encouraged to ask the Lord whether Celestial Plural Marriage was to be continued as a practise or not, as he was under intense pressure to abandon it.

That night, Lorin stood guard for President Taylor who retired to a bedroom. Lorin was very tired due to him just completing a three-day trip, but faithfully carried out his duties (a characteristic which defined his very life).

As he stood watch, he noticed a light emerge from under the door, and heard voices ring in the room. Startled, he arose to take action, but the Spirit of God assured him that all was right. This satisfied his worried soul.

The next morning, John Taylor emerged from his room, and told all those present the news: Celestial Plural Marriage was not to be abandoned! It must be kept alive—God cannot revoke an everlasting covenant. He had been visited by the Prophet Joseph Smith and the Lord Jesus Christ, who informed him of this fact.

President Taylor sat those present down and spoke for eight hours, expounding upon the Principle of Celestial Plural Marriage. He told them that he would rather have his limbs cut off than assent to the abandonment of that precious Principle!

In the wake of this exciting happening, the President set apart five men who were to perpetuate this Principle regardless of any circumstances—this sacred law simply had to be preserved.

Many in the Church were aware of this fact, although it was kept quiet for a time to protect those set apart unto this duty, especially after this Principle had been publicly abandoned. One Mission President wrote to the President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles:

“President Taylor died in exile for this principle and he gave men authority to perform the ceremony of marriage which authority I have been told was never revoked . . .” (Letter to Francis M. Lyman, 10 October 1906, as quoted in D. Michael Quinn, Extensions of Power, pg. 809)

Lorin was one of these faithful, elect men. He was faithful to his covenant, and lived the law himself. Thanks to Lorin, there are many today who have received their commission unto the same end, down a line which can be traced back to President John Taylor.

He was transported by the Spirit to the Yucatan to preach the Fullness of the Gospel to a group of Indians and to give them the Fullness of the Priesthood.

He died 88 years ago today, on 19 September 1934.

Lorin’s exploits for the Fullness of the Gospel can’t, and won’t, be forgotten by those who love the truth.

Simply put, Lorin Woolley was utterly brilliant. Thank God for men like Brother Woolley!

lorincwoolley.jpglorincwoolley1.jpg
Well written post.

User avatar
Luke
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 9456
Location: England

Re: Remembering Lorin C. Woolley

Post by Luke »

Sarah wrote: September 19th, 2022, 3:38 pm An article by Brian Hales about Lorin Woolley

https://mormonfundamentalism.com/wp-con ... pdated.pdf
Can we just remember that Brian is an anti-Fundamentalist propagandist.

User avatar
Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 6341

Re: Remembering Lorin C. Woolley

Post by Sarah »

Luke wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:12 pm
Sarah wrote: September 19th, 2022, 3:38 pm An article by Brian Hales about Lorin Woolley

https://mormonfundamentalism.com/wp-con ... pdated.pdf
Can we just remember that Brian is an anti-Fundamentalist propagandist.
What do you think is propaganda?

User avatar
Luke
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 9456
Location: England

Re: Remembering Lorin C. Woolley

Post by Luke »

Sarah wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:13 pm
Luke wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:12 pm
Sarah wrote: September 19th, 2022, 3:38 pm An article by Brian Hales about Lorin Woolley

https://mormonfundamentalism.com/wp-con ... pdated.pdf
Can we just remember that Brian is an anti-Fundamentalist propagandist.
What do you think is propaganda?
His outright dismissals of Lorin Woolley’s claims when the facts are clearly in favour of Lorin.

Certainly, Lorin told tall tales (like claiming he was a 33° Mason or government spy), but these are no different from the wild stories that a Grandfather would tell with a glint in his eye. I would be willing to bet that the likes of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young probably told fantastic tales (all in good fun, of course, like Lorin).

But when you get down to it, he was a faithful man who was faithful to his commission given in 1886, the facts vindicate this, and everyone who actually knew him believed him and trusted him. Many may dismiss him, but I have come to believe that he was a man like no other.

User avatar
Baurak Ale
Nauvoo Legion Captain
Posts: 928
Location: The North Countries (Upper Midwest, USA)

Re: Remembering Lorin C. Woolley

Post by Baurak Ale »

Luke wrote: September 19th, 2022, 1:09 pm On 26 September 1886, President John Taylor was encouraged to ask the Lord whether Celestial Plural Marriage was to be continued as a practise or not, as he was under intense pressure to abandon it.

That night, Lorin stood guard for President Taylor who retired to a bedroom. Lorin was very tired due to him just completing a three-day trip, but faithfully carried out his duties (a characteristic which defined his very life).

As he stood watch, he noticed a light emerge from under the door, and heard voices ring in the room. Startled, he arose to take action, but the Spirit of God assured him that all was right. This satisfied his worried soul.

The next morning, John Taylor emerged from his room, and told all those present the news: Celestial Plural Marriage was not to be abandoned! It must be kept alive—God cannot revoke an everlasting covenant. He had been visited by the Prophet Joseph Smith and the Lord Jesus Christ, who informed him of this fact.

President Taylor sat those present down and spoke for eight hours, expounding upon the Principle of Celestial Plural Marriage. He told them that he would rather have his limbs cut off than assent to the abandonment of that precious Principle!

In the wake of this exciting happening, the President set apart five men who were to perpetuate this Principle regardless of any circumstances—this sacred law simply had to be preserved.

Many in the Church were aware of this fact, although it was kept quiet for a time to protect those set apart unto this duty, especially after this Principle had been publicly abandoned. One Mission President wrote to the President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles:

“President Taylor died in exile for this principle and he gave men authority to perform the ceremony of marriage which authority I have been told was never revoked . . .” (Letter to Francis M. Lyman, 10 October 1906, as quoted in D. Michael Quinn, Extensions of Power, pg. 809)

Lorin was one of these faithful, elect men. He was faithful to his covenant, and lived the law himself. Thanks to Lorin, there are many today who have received their commission unto the same end, down a line which can be traced back to President John Taylor.
I just want to add my testimony here that I know these things are true. Thanks for writing this up, Luke.

User avatar
Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 6341

Re: Remembering Lorin C. Woolley

Post by Sarah »

Luke wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:18 pm
Sarah wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:13 pm
Luke wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:12 pm
Sarah wrote: September 19th, 2022, 3:38 pm An article by Brian Hales about Lorin Woolley

https://mormonfundamentalism.com/wp-con ... pdated.pdf
Can we just remember that Brian is an anti-Fundamentalist propagandist.
What do you think is propaganda?
His outright dismissals of Lorin Woolley’s claims when the facts are clearly in favour of Lorin.

Certainly, Lorin told tall tales (like claiming he was a 33° Mason or government spy), but these are no different from the wild stories that a Grandfather would tell with a glint in his eye. I would be willing to bet that the likes of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young probably told fantastic tales (all in good fun, of course, like Lorin).

But when you get down to it, he was a faithful man who was faithful to his commission given in 1886, the facts vindicate this, and everyone who actually knew him believed him and trusted him. Many may dismiss him, but I have come to believe that he was a man like no other.
My impression is that Lorin took facts, and then embellished them.

User avatar
Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 6341

Re: Remembering Lorin C. Woolley

Post by Sarah »

Baurak Ale wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:34 pm
Luke wrote: September 19th, 2022, 1:09 pm On 26 September 1886, President John Taylor was encouraged to ask the Lord whether Celestial Plural Marriage was to be continued as a practise or not, as he was under intense pressure to abandon it.

That night, Lorin stood guard for President Taylor who retired to a bedroom. Lorin was very tired due to him just completing a three-day trip, but faithfully carried out his duties (a characteristic which defined his very life).

As he stood watch, he noticed a light emerge from under the door, and heard voices ring in the room. Startled, he arose to take action, but the Spirit of God assured him that all was right. This satisfied his worried soul.

The next morning, John Taylor emerged from his room, and told all those present the news: Celestial Plural Marriage was not to be abandoned! It must be kept alive—God cannot revoke an everlasting covenant. He had been visited by the Prophet Joseph Smith and the Lord Jesus Christ, who informed him of this fact.

President Taylor sat those present down and spoke for eight hours, expounding upon the Principle of Celestial Plural Marriage. He told them that he would rather have his limbs cut off than assent to the abandonment of that precious Principle!

In the wake of this exciting happening, the President set apart five men who were to perpetuate this Principle regardless of any circumstances—this sacred law simply had to be preserved.

Many in the Church were aware of this fact, although it was kept quiet for a time to protect those set apart unto this duty, especially after this Principle had been publicly abandoned. One Mission President wrote to the President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles:

“President Taylor died in exile for this principle and he gave men authority to perform the ceremony of marriage which authority I have been told was never revoked . . .” (Letter to Francis M. Lyman, 10 October 1906, as quoted in D. Michael Quinn, Extensions of Power, pg. 809)

Lorin was one of these faithful, elect men. He was faithful to his covenant, and lived the law himself. Thanks to Lorin, there are many today who have received their commission unto the same end, down a line which can be traced back to President John Taylor.
I just want to add my testimony here that I know these things are true. Thanks for writing this up, Luke.
How do you reconcile the line in 132 about one man with the keys to this power?

User avatar
Luke
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 9456
Location: England

Re: Remembering Lorin C. Woolley

Post by Luke »

Sarah wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:49 pm
Baurak Ale wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:34 pm
Luke wrote: September 19th, 2022, 1:09 pm On 26 September 1886, President John Taylor was encouraged to ask the Lord whether Celestial Plural Marriage was to be continued as a practise or not, as he was under intense pressure to abandon it.

That night, Lorin stood guard for President Taylor who retired to a bedroom. Lorin was very tired due to him just completing a three-day trip, but faithfully carried out his duties (a characteristic which defined his very life).

As he stood watch, he noticed a light emerge from under the door, and heard voices ring in the room. Startled, he arose to take action, but the Spirit of God assured him that all was right. This satisfied his worried soul.

The next morning, John Taylor emerged from his room, and told all those present the news: Celestial Plural Marriage was not to be abandoned! It must be kept alive—God cannot revoke an everlasting covenant. He had been visited by the Prophet Joseph Smith and the Lord Jesus Christ, who informed him of this fact.

President Taylor sat those present down and spoke for eight hours, expounding upon the Principle of Celestial Plural Marriage. He told them that he would rather have his limbs cut off than assent to the abandonment of that precious Principle!

In the wake of this exciting happening, the President set apart five men who were to perpetuate this Principle regardless of any circumstances—this sacred law simply had to be preserved.

Many in the Church were aware of this fact, although it was kept quiet for a time to protect those set apart unto this duty, especially after this Principle had been publicly abandoned. One Mission President wrote to the President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles:

“President Taylor died in exile for this principle and he gave men authority to perform the ceremony of marriage which authority I have been told was never revoked . . .” (Letter to Francis M. Lyman, 10 October 1906, as quoted in D. Michael Quinn, Extensions of Power, pg. 809)

Lorin was one of these faithful, elect men. He was faithful to his covenant, and lived the law himself. Thanks to Lorin, there are many today who have received their commission unto the same end, down a line which can be traced back to President John Taylor.
I just want to add my testimony here that I know these things are true. Thanks for writing this up, Luke.
How do you reconcile the line in 132 about one man with the keys to this power?
I won’t speak for Baurak Ale, but in Fundamentalism you can observe two different lines:

1. That the one man doctrine is bogus and that interpretation of D&C 132:7 is false
2. That John Woolley and Lorin Woolley at certain points in their lives were the one man (AUB, FLDS, etc. believe this)

User avatar
Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 6341

Re: Remembering Lorin C. Woolley

Post by Sarah »

Luke wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:53 pm
Sarah wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:49 pm
Baurak Ale wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:34 pm
Luke wrote: September 19th, 2022, 1:09 pm On 26 September 1886, President John Taylor was encouraged to ask the Lord whether Celestial Plural Marriage was to be continued as a practise or not, as he was under intense pressure to abandon it.

That night, Lorin stood guard for President Taylor who retired to a bedroom. Lorin was very tired due to him just completing a three-day trip, but faithfully carried out his duties (a characteristic which defined his very life).

As he stood watch, he noticed a light emerge from under the door, and heard voices ring in the room. Startled, he arose to take action, but the Spirit of God assured him that all was right. This satisfied his worried soul.

The next morning, John Taylor emerged from his room, and told all those present the news: Celestial Plural Marriage was not to be abandoned! It must be kept alive—God cannot revoke an everlasting covenant. He had been visited by the Prophet Joseph Smith and the Lord Jesus Christ, who informed him of this fact.

President Taylor sat those present down and spoke for eight hours, expounding upon the Principle of Celestial Plural Marriage. He told them that he would rather have his limbs cut off than assent to the abandonment of that precious Principle!

In the wake of this exciting happening, the President set apart five men who were to perpetuate this Principle regardless of any circumstances—this sacred law simply had to be preserved.

Many in the Church were aware of this fact, although it was kept quiet for a time to protect those set apart unto this duty, especially after this Principle had been publicly abandoned. One Mission President wrote to the President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles:

“President Taylor died in exile for this principle and he gave men authority to perform the ceremony of marriage which authority I have been told was never revoked . . .” (Letter to Francis M. Lyman, 10 October 1906, as quoted in D. Michael Quinn, Extensions of Power, pg. 809)

Lorin was one of these faithful, elect men. He was faithful to his covenant, and lived the law himself. Thanks to Lorin, there are many today who have received their commission unto the same end, down a line which can be traced back to President John Taylor.
I just want to add my testimony here that I know these things are true. Thanks for writing this up, Luke.
How do you reconcile the line in 132 about one man with the keys to this power?
I won’t speak for Baurak Ale, but in Fundamentalism you can observe two different lines:

1. That the one man doctrine is bogus and that interpretation of D&C 132:7 is false
2. That John Woolley and Lorin Woolley at certain points in their lives were the one man (AUB, FLDS, etc. believe this)
Right, but I know Baurak Ale has testified in the past that LDS temple ordinances are valid.

User avatar
Luke
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 9456
Location: England

Re: Remembering Lorin C. Woolley

Post by Luke »

Sarah wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:58 pm
Luke wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:53 pm
Sarah wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:49 pm
Baurak Ale wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:34 pm

I just want to add my testimony here that I know these things are true. Thanks for writing this up, Luke.
How do you reconcile the line in 132 about one man with the keys to this power?
I won’t speak for Baurak Ale, but in Fundamentalism you can observe two different lines:

1. That the one man doctrine is bogus and that interpretation of D&C 132:7 is false
2. That John Woolley and Lorin Woolley at certain points in their lives were the one man (AUB, FLDS, etc. believe this)
Right, but I know Baurak Ale has testified in the past that LDS temple ordinances are valid.
I believe they’re probably valid in some form, too.

They clearly aren’t complete though. But it’s better to have a portion of light than no light at all.

User avatar
JLHPROF
captain of 100
Posts: 694

Re: Remembering Lorin C. Woolley

Post by JLHPROF »

Luke wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:18 pm
Sarah wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:13 pm
Luke wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:12 pm
Sarah wrote: September 19th, 2022, 3:38 pm An article by Brian Hales about Lorin Woolley

https://mormonfundamentalism.com/wp-con ... pdated.pdf
Can we just remember that Brian is an anti-Fundamentalist propagandist.
What do you think is propaganda?
His outright dismissals of Lorin Woolley’s claims when the facts are clearly in favour of Lorin.

Certainly, Lorin told tall tales (like claiming he was a 33° Mason or government spy), but these are no different from the wild stories that a Grandfather would tell with a glint in his eye.
I would be willing to bet that the likes of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young probably told fantastic tales (all in good fun, of course, like Lorin).

But when you get down to it, he was a faithful man who was faithful to his commission given in 1886, the facts vindicate this, and everyone who actually knew him believed him and trusted him. Many may dismiss him, but I have come to believe that he was a man like no other.
The problem is many of his tall tales were demonstrably false AND gospel related.

I don't have issues with his claims about his spy career or his masonic rank. Those don't matter.
His claims about the 8 hour meeting and 1886 revelation have some historical evidence backing them.

I do have issues with some of the blatant false statements he made about gospel related things. He told a huge bunch of whoppers. Perhaps he did it so that faith would be necessary to believe the authority claims.

User avatar
JLHPROF
captain of 100
Posts: 694

Re: Remembering Lorin C. Woolley

Post by JLHPROF »

Luke wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:53 pm I won’t speak for Baurak Ale, but in Fundamentalism you can observe two different lines:

1. That the one man doctrine is bogus and that interpretation of D&C 132:7 is false
2. That John Woolley and Lorin Woolley at certain points in their lives were the one man (AUB, FLDS, etc. believe this)
Number one is wrong based on the teaching of basically every prophet and apostle since Joseph. Including Lorin Woolley.

User avatar
FrankOne
captain of 1,000
Posts: 1037

Re: Remembering Lorin C. Woolley

Post by FrankOne »

Luke wrote: September 19th, 2022, 2:43 pm
Dusty Wanderer wrote: September 19th, 2022, 1:34 pm Luke, thanks for this historical vignette. Question: you say that there is an unbroken link back to those five who had been given the sealing authority? Do you know who any of them are today?
Many Fundamentalist groups trace their authority back to Woolley, as do many independents.

Ogden Kraut, for example, received Priesthood from Joseph Musser who received Priesthood from Lorin Woolley.
I had heard this account before from the local plygs in this area (friends).

but..the fact that Ogden Kraut received it from Musser... I -did- not- know- that. (Johnnie Carson).
I am a fan of Ogden Kraut and all that he wrote. He was one of the last of a sound generation. I've had talks with his son Kevin, who is quite an entertaining guy with many interesting stories.

There isn't a single serious student of church history that agrees with the revisionist mindset that polygamy didn't come from JS. Michael Quinn's research was impeccable. I wish I had been given the chance to meet O.Kraut. I'm not a polygamist, and I'm not sure if 'authority' truly exists anymore although I was impressed with Owen Allred.

I'll wait till the end of times to see where this all gets sorted out.

User avatar
Baurak Ale
Nauvoo Legion Captain
Posts: 928
Location: The North Countries (Upper Midwest, USA)

Re: Remembering Lorin C. Woolley

Post by Baurak Ale »

Sarah wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:58 pm
Luke wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:53 pm
Sarah wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:49 pm
Baurak Ale wrote: September 19th, 2022, 4:34 pm

I just want to add my testimony here that I know these things are true. Thanks for writing this up, Luke.
How do you reconcile the line in 132 about one man with the keys to this power?
I won’t speak for Baurak Ale, but in Fundamentalism you can observe two different lines:

1. That the one man doctrine is bogus and that interpretation of D&C 132:7 is false
2. That John Woolley and Lorin Woolley at certain points in their lives were the one man (AUB, FLDS, etc. believe this)
Right, but I know Baurak Ale has testified in the past that LDS temple ordinances are valid.
Yes, I believe there is limited efficacy in the LDS temples since they have altered and limited the priesthood by altering and limiting the ordinances. But the LDS church is still Christ’s bride, though in a wayward and unfaithful state like unto ancient Israel in Isaiah’s time. It is written that God will cleanse his house first, first among those who have blasphemed his name in the midst of it.

As for the one man idea, I adhere to the view that the one man is Joseph Smith, and his death did not remove him from this world since the spirit world is here and it has been taught repeatedly that he still holds the keys on this world though on the other side of the veil.

I have a testimony that Joseph still leads and is personally involved (in spirit) in the preservation and continuance of the fullness of the Gospel even today.

Post Reply