Was Christopher Columbus Who We Thought He Was

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Ado
captain of 100

Was Christopher Columbus Who We Thought He Was

Post by Ado »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0yoVsZfypQ

I like to watch things on YouTube while I am on the treadmill, and found this today. They talk slowly enough that I was able to keep it on 1.5 speed with captions on. The video demonstrates how there is evidence that Christopher Columbus was actually an illegitimate son of a Portuguese prince and a Jewish woman, and a double agent for Portugal. You’ll have to watch to get the full picture, and it really is worth watching. I enjoyed it. But part of the theory is that he was working in an effort to help the 800,000 Jews who were to be expelled from Spain who refused to embrace Catholicism, as well as the many Jews who faked conversion and were tortured during the Spanish Inquisition. He didn’t speak Italian, but spoke Spanish and Portuguese well. When he died, his last will and testament revealed his wish that 1/10 of his income be tithed to the poor, and to provide an anonymous dowry for poor girls. These happen to be Jewish customs. In signing his will, he used three dots in a triangle that resemble inscriptions in a Jewish cemetery.

The theories are interesting, and could give new insight into the verses in 1 Nephi 13:12-13
12 And I looked and beheld a man among the Gentiles, who was separated from the seed of my brethren by the many waters; and I beheld the Spirit of God, that it came down and wrought upon the man; and he went forth upon the many waters, even unto the seed of my brethren, who were in the promised land.
13 And it came to pass that I beheld the Spirit of God, that it wrought upon other Gentiles; and they went forth out of captivity, upon the many waters.

For those who have the chance to watch, let me know what you think.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Re: Was Christopher Columbus Who We Thought He Was

Post by BuriedTartaria »

There have been a few threads here lately suggesting Christopher (regardless of whether or not he was a good or bad person) is not the gentile referenced in 1 Nephi 13.

I think reevaluating 1 Nephi 13 is the correct direction to go for better understanding the Book of Mormon. I think Columbus was a "so obvious it's actually wrong" thing we jumped on. An example of a false tradition steering us down an incorrect path.

But then again, maybe he is the person referenced in 1 Nephi 13.

In case you haven't come across it, you may find Adrian Larsen's (prominent figure in Denver Snuffer's remnant movement) stab at identifying what 1 Nephi 13 is all about (and rejecting the Columbus connection) interesting; https://www.totheremnant.com/2022/03/de ... tiles.html

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

adocrawford wrote: September 16th, 2022, 5:33 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0yoVsZfypQ

I like to watch things on YouTube while I am on the treadmill, and found this today. They talk slowly enough that I was able to keep it on 1.5 speed with captions on. The video demonstrates how there is evidence that Christopher Columbus was actually an illegitimate son of a Portuguese prince and a Jewish woman, and a double agent for Portugal. You’ll have to watch to get the full picture, and it really is worth watching. I enjoyed it. But part of the theory is that he was working in an effort to help the 800,000 Jews who were to be expelled from Spain who refused to embrace Catholicism, as well as the many Jews who faked conversion and were tortured during the Spanish Inquisition. He didn’t speak Italian, but spoke Spanish and Portuguese well. When he died, his last will and testament revealed his wish that 1/10 of his income be tithed to the poor, and to provide an anonymous dowry for poor girls. These happen to be Jewish customs. In signing his will, he used three dots in a triangle that resemble inscriptions in a Jewish cemetery.

The theories are interesting, and could give new insight into the verses in 1 Nephi 13:12-13
12 And I looked and beheld a man among the Gentiles, who was separated from the seed of my brethren by the many waters; and I beheld the Spirit of God, that it came down and wrought upon the man; and he went forth upon the many waters, even unto the seed of my brethren, who were in the promised land.
13 And it came to pass that I beheld the Spirit of God, that it wrought upon other Gentiles; and they went forth out of captivity, upon the many waters.

For those who have the chance to watch, let me know what you think.
I do think the wording in 1 Nephi is interesting. "A man among the Gentiles" strikes me as a little odd. Why not just say "a Gentile".
This suggests to me that the man was not a Gentile, but lived amongst them.
However, I don't believe Nephi is referring to Columbus.