Blackout…. Now What..??

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
mudflap
captain of 1,000

Re: Blackout…. Now What..??

Post by mudflap »

Fred wrote: September 12th, 2022, 2:35 pm
mudflap wrote: September 12th, 2022, 2:19 pm
Fred wrote: September 12th, 2022, 10:26 am If one is not ready already, you better get on it as time is running out. 72 hours is nothing. Get out of the city. You can buy an older camp trailer of large 5th wheel trailer for cheap. Self contained. Raw land is cheap. You won't want or need any government pipes or wires attached to it. The farther away you get, the safer you are. Put some chickens in a fenced area so predators don't get them. Bury an old non working refrigerator on it's back with door at ground level. You can store many things all year long. If the climate is extreme, you may have to put a few bales of straw on top of the door. Work every day to get what you will need. You can trade with locals for most anything.
Agreed, but I'm going to do a "yeah, but" here:

yeah, but I don't think you actually have time anymore. It's almost too late to get out of the city. I think it takes years to build up a good relationship with neighbors. Also, I don't know about y'all, but everyone I know is $500 from bankruptcy at this point. As it is, EVERYTHING is eating us up - gas, utilities, car repairs, food, insurance. I actually got a raise at work this year (better than last year), but then insurance went up $200/mo, and so I ended up with a PAY CUT. lol. That's what a "J.O.B." is, though, right? : "Just Over Broke". Yup. you never get rich working for someone else, but working for someone else is usually more stable than contracting - at least for the first 5 years of contracting.

But yeah, if it's only about selling your place, taking the money + a loan to buy another place = just another headache when you lose your job, but in a new location. "Get out of the city, and do it Debt free" should be the goal, IMO.

Anyway, I don't need the headache (right now) of wondering where my next job is coming from (because the job is providing the funds to finish the cabin) - all of the focus is on "getting the cabin finished so we can move in". Moving in will eliminate 300 miles a week of travel to work on it. It will cut our utilities in half (even though it's bigger sq ft). It will provide a space to grow our own. And then I can focus on the J.O.B. situation, if necessary. It's work from home now, so living in the country (with Internet) will be fine. But getting out of debt means I don't NEED a high paying city salary - the gas station or chopping firewood or fixing lawnmowers or any number of other "small town jobs" will make ends meet comfortably.

Eliminating the mortgage is most folks #1 problem right now - and that's not a problem you can solve overnight.

I do like the fridge idea. that would be temporary until I build the above ground cellar out of earthbags or something....
You are right. It does take years to get to know which neighbors to trust. But living in the city is a loser. City dwellers are dependent for everything. Even if they are smart enough to have food storage, they can't defend it. Death is just around the corner.

When I first got my place, I lived in a tent. With a wife and kid. Then I got a camp trailer. Then I built a building. Then I put solar panels on the roof. Then I bought water tanks so I can store a couple thousand gallons above ground. It took time. It was 13 years ago. I'm still working on it.

There is no future in the city. People that are already relatively prepared need help. I have a neighbor that needs help with his greenhouses. They are large and he has several. He gives literally tons of food to the food bank. But he will feed those that help him when tshtf.

Houses in Salt Lake went up a hundred grand last year. Same with lots of places. Sell it and get away.

We have had a hundred years of warnings. One of these days, it will be too late for sure.

yes!

I honestly think that if you have a choice between a tent out in the country on your own debt-free piece of land, and your standard 1/4 acre 3bd/2ba standard Utah Ivory Home with the arch over the front door and $300k in debt (hopefully you didn't buy it this year for $600k) - anyway, if those are your choices, the tent is the better option, due to the coming collapse. Cities will become basically prison camps with slaves who will own nothing and "be happy" (TM).

We started on this "build your own cabin idea" back in 2012 after nobody listened to us about the election and voted the Kenyan back for another round. We decided to stop trying and start focusing on preparing for the collapse that was inevitable. sold a bunch of useless inheritances I'd received, and traded the money for more useful stuff we don't talk about online. Then set about to make our move - fixed up the house and sold it, moved into the in-law's home that they couldn't get up and down stairs anymore - just so they didn't have to sell it - and it made selling ours easier. But then we couldn't find "1 acre, 5 beds, 3 baths, and a garage" in the country that we could afford that didn't smell like mold or wasn't on a cracked foundation or any other number of problems. After about a year of looking, my wife finally thought we should consider building our own - pay-as-you-build mortgage/debt-free LHBA log home. So that's our journey.

I feel like we'll be moving into it while the country is running on fumes in a few months (maybe 4-5?), and then "stuff is going to happen" (next year?). Anyway, we've been really lucky and blessed to get this far by this time, hopefully we get it done in time.

Anyway, hopefully it's not everlastingly too late, but I do believe we are close.

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

JK4Woods wrote: September 12th, 2022, 2:39 pm
Wolfwoman wrote: September 12th, 2022, 9:57 am I haven't purchased this book yet, but it has some good info, from what I've heard.
https://www.amazon.com/First-72-Hours-C ... 141&sr=1-1

The issue here is this presupposes other regions outside of the disaster area can send in relief crews/supplies/stuff to help stabilize and then repair the affected society.

In a grid down scenario, help is countries away.

IE. if you live in the inter mountain west, and there is a significant western grid down event. Help would have to come from Missouri at the closest not effected area.

If a bi-national grid down (US & Canada) some border help from Mexico may help, but knowing the Cartel control of the southern land border, it would be minimal.

That book is all about hurricane or tornado or earthquake events, where 300 miles away are unfazed and can start helping.
Thanks for the review. I haven't read it.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Wolfwoman wrote: September 12th, 2022, 9:57 am I haven't purchased this book yet, but it has some good info, from what I've heard.

The issue here is this presupposes other regions outside of the disaster area can send in relief crews/supplies/stuff to help stabilize and then repair the affected society.

IE. if you live in the inter mountain west, and there is a significant western grid down event. Help would have to come from Missouri at the closest not effected area.

If a bi-national grid down (US & Canada) some border help from Mexico may help, but knowing the Cartel control of the southern land border, it would be minimal.

That book is all about hurricane or tornado or earthquake events, where 300 miles away are unfazed and can start helping.
One of the purposes of getting off-grid is so you don't care whether the grid goes down or not. I couldn't care less. Solar is FAR cheaper than utility power. I guess people enjoy paying 10 times as much on a perpetual debt than being self reliant. Cost of grid over a lifetime = $250,000. Cost of owning power = $30,000. Of course you can build your solar system a thousand bucks at a time and use it the whole time even if it isn't enough for your entire home until you are finished building it.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Everyone is preparing for bunker life. Sitting in our castle surrounded by our comforts and treasures.

Few consider mobility, yet "fleeing" is what the Bible shows people in the past had to do, and predicts for us.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

tribrac wrote: September 13th, 2022, 10:18 am Everyone is preparing for bunker life. Sitting in our castle surrounded by our comforts and treasures.

Few consider mobility, yet "fleeing" is what the Bible shows people in the past had to do, and predicts for us.
Well, I have a large motorhome in case I need to get to Missouri. Otherwise, I too, am surrounded by my treasures. I haven't had a utility bill in over 10 years.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

mudflap wrote: September 12th, 2022, 9:00 pm
Fred wrote: September 12th, 2022, 2:35 pm
mudflap wrote: September 12th, 2022, 2:19 pm
Fred wrote: September 12th, 2022, 10:26 am If one is not ready already, you better get on it as time is running out. 72 hours is nothing. Get out of the city. You can buy an older camp trailer of large 5th wheel trailer for cheap. Self contained. Raw land is cheap. You won't want or need any government pipes or wires attached to it. The farther away you get, the safer you are. Put some chickens in a fenced area so predators don't get them. Bury an old non working refrigerator on it's back with door at ground level. You can store many things all year long. If the climate is extreme, you may have to put a few bales of straw on top of the door. Work every day to get what you will need. You can trade with locals for most anything.
Agreed, but I'm going to do a "yeah, but" here:

yeah, but I don't think you actually have time anymore. It's almost too late to get out of the city. I think it takes years to build up a good relationship with neighbors. Also, I don't know about y'all, but everyone I know is $500 from bankruptcy at this point. As it is, EVERYTHING is eating us up - gas, utilities, car repairs, food, insurance. I actually got a raise at work this year (better than last year), but then insurance went up $200/mo, and so I ended up with a PAY CUT. lol. That's what a "J.O.B." is, though, right? : "Just Over Broke". Yup. you never get rich working for someone else, but working for someone else is usually more stable than contracting - at least for the first 5 years of contracting.

But yeah, if it's only about selling your place, taking the money + a loan to buy another place = just another headache when you lose your job, but in a new location. "Get out of the city, and do it Debt free" should be the goal, IMO.

Anyway, I don't need the headache (right now) of wondering where my next job is coming from (because the job is providing the funds to finish the cabin) - all of the focus is on "getting the cabin finished so we can move in". Moving in will eliminate 300 miles a week of travel to work on it. It will cut our utilities in half (even though it's bigger sq ft). It will provide a space to grow our own. And then I can focus on the J.O.B. situation, if necessary. It's work from home now, so living in the country (with Internet) will be fine. But getting out of debt means I don't NEED a high paying city salary - the gas station or chopping firewood or fixing lawnmowers or any number of other "small town jobs" will make ends meet comfortably.

Eliminating the mortgage is most folks #1 problem right now - and that's not a problem you can solve overnight.

I do like the fridge idea. that would be temporary until I build the above ground cellar out of earthbags or something....
You are right. It does take years to get to know which neighbors to trust. But living in the city is a loser. City dwellers are dependent for everything. Even if they are smart enough to have food storage, they can't defend it. Death is just around the corner.

When I first got my place, I lived in a tent. With a wife and kid. Then I got a camp trailer. Then I built a building. Then I put solar panels on the roof. Then I bought water tanks so I can store a couple thousand gallons above ground. It took time. It was 13 years ago. I'm still working on it.

There is no future in the city. People that are already relatively prepared need help. I have a neighbor that needs help with his greenhouses. They are large and he has several. He gives literally tons of food to the food bank. But he will feed those that help him when tshtf.

Houses in Salt Lake went up a hundred grand last year. Same with lots of places. Sell it and get away.

We have had a hundred years of warnings. One of these days, it will be too late for sure.

yes!

I honestly think that if you have a choice between a tent out in the country on your own debt-free piece of land, and your standard 1/4 acre 3bd/2ba standard Utah Ivory Home with the arch over the front door and $300k in debt (hopefully you didn't buy it this year for $600k) - anyway, if those are your choices, the tent is the better option, due to the coming collapse. Cities will become basically prison camps with slaves who will own nothing and "be happy" (TM).

We started on this "build your own cabin idea" back in 2012 after nobody listened to us about the election and voted the Kenyan back for another round. We decided to stop trying and start focusing on preparing for the collapse that was inevitable. sold a bunch of useless inheritances I'd received, and traded the money for more useful stuff we don't talk about online. Then set about to make our move - fixed up the house and sold it, moved into the in-law's home that they couldn't get up and down stairs anymore - just so they didn't have to sell it - and it made selling ours easier. But then we couldn't find "1 acre, 5 beds, 3 baths, and a garage" in the country that we could afford that didn't smell like mold or wasn't on a cracked foundation or any other number of problems. After about a year of looking, my wife finally thought we should consider building our own - pay-as-you-build mortgage/debt-free LHBA log home. So that's our journey.

I feel like we'll be moving into it while the country is running on fumes in a few months (maybe 4-5?), and then "stuff is going to happen" (next year?). Anyway, we've been really lucky and blessed to get this far by this time, hopefully we get it done in time.

Anyway, hopefully it's not everlastingly too late, but I do believe we are close.
I admire your zeal and focus. It takes a lot of guts to make such a move. Godspeed.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

Fred wrote: September 13th, 2022, 9:56 am

One of the purposes of getting off-grid is so you don't care whether the grid goes down or not. I couldn't care less. Solar is FAR cheaper than utility power. I guess people enjoy paying 10 times as much on a perpetual debt than being self reliant. Cost of grid over a lifetime = $250,000. Cost of owning power = $30,000. Of course you can build your solar system a thousand bucks at a time and use it the whole time even if it isn't enough for your entire home until you are finished building it.
for those that don't know, $7500 in solar , doing it yourself, can run everything (excepting a water heater and normal A/C) 24 hrs a day if you're in an area of good sun. $10,000 and your cooking in crisco. $30,000 and you're in the lap of luxury.

The $7500 system, augmented with a wood stove and wood fired water heater sets you up. Another $1000 and you can run an evaporative cooler all day. It's a freeing feeling that's worth every cent and pays for itself to boot.

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

9D6D7704-B860-4C0D-AFFF-EAB6774B8BCD.jpeg
9D6D7704-B860-4C0D-AFFF-EAB6774B8BCD.jpeg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 426 times
Fred wrote: September 13th, 2022, 10:28 am
tribrac wrote: September 13th, 2022, 10:18 am Everyone is preparing for bunker life. Sitting in our castle surrounded by our comforts and treasures.

Well, I have a large motorhome in case I need to get to Missouri. Otherwise, I too, am surrounded by my treasures. I haven't had a utility bill in over 10 years.

Motor homes by their very nature are near maxed out weight limits… loading up one’s preps into a motor home would be a serious chore.

Here’s a few resourceful individuals making do with what they have…. As they flee…

(Not sure Americans can pile it up and cinch it down like this without considerable practice….). :D ;)

I agree… “fleeing” is the standard M.O. when advancing judgements approach….
Attachments
1BF2D44D-1CE4-432D-9A57-AE8003F740F3.jpeg
1BF2D44D-1CE4-432D-9A57-AE8003F740F3.jpeg (44.64 KiB) Viewed 426 times
5265BB08-392F-4ECF-8589-636910079BC5.jpeg
5265BB08-392F-4ECF-8589-636910079BC5.jpeg (33.19 KiB) Viewed 426 times

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

And for those who drive “Mormon Assault Vehicles”…
Attachments
90662294-669F-441C-8E36-F74EBA3D1742.jpeg
90662294-669F-441C-8E36-F74EBA3D1742.jpeg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 422 times

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Cruiserdude wrote: September 12th, 2022, 8:21 am
mudflap wrote: September 12th, 2022, 7:42 am We lived in the city without power for a week during the most massive tornado outbreak in the country back in 2011. I'll tell you what happened:
- police set up a curfew at night. Since criminals don't obey curfews, we heard a lot of gun shots in our neighborhood. Across from us, a guy raised some kind of rare breed of pitbulls, and someone tried to kick down his fence and take the puppies. He scared them off by firing a couple rounds into the air. My wife sat in the driveway in the car during her security shift at 1 am and watched the whole thing while charging her phone that didn't have signal.
- another neighbor who lived a block away carried his 357 openly during the day while conversing with neighbors. He wanted them to see it on him he said after someone threw a brick through his back door window. He slept on a couch next to that door for a few days afterwards.
- a store owner shot and killed a guy - he was the brother of a student at the school I taught at. She claims they shot him for no reason - he was trying to get some diapers for his baby. At 3 am. uh-huh....
- in fact, there were so many crimes committed that I read an estimate that only 10% of the cases had any kind of resolution. We left our hefty and cranky dog outside at night in our fenced yard. He was a great asset to our security.
- kroger would only let a few into their store at at time. They had armed guards escorting folks around in the dark store. They wouldn't sell milk (no refrigeration). I rode my bike to the store with luggage racks to stock up on fresh food and bread and candles and stuff.
- Lines for gas were about 2 miles long. And you could only get 5 gallons at a time. They had to use generators to operate the pumps. Cash only. the 2 mile lines took about 6 hours to navigate. A city council member was arrested for using the "police only" gas station to fill his personal vehicle ("rules for thee, but not for me"). We didn't see the point - where were we going to go? The day before the outage, we were low on gas in both cars, but the wind and rain was so bad, I thought, "I'll fill up tomorrow." I have never made that mistake since then - always fill up at no less than 1/4 tank; never leave both cars empty, and never put it off till the next day, even if we have to pay extra. Keep extra gas in jugs for all equipment (sawmill / lawnmowers / tractor / chainsaw), and keep their tanks full. Keep extra oil / antifreeze, always have extra filters / hoses / etc. on hand.
- We had no contact with extended out-of-state family for that time. Meanwhile, I guess they were watching the news wondering if we were all right. Local family invited us over for a BBQ of all their frozen meat that was going to go bad. Had the power outage continued, they probably should have just smoked it. I cooked up our freezer pizza in a dutch oven with a wire rack in the bottom - turned out pretty good. We were thankful that the outage happened in April, and not Jan-Feb, or August. Weather was perfect, and we had no alternate heat source at the time. We played a lot of card games and board games, did laundry in a wash bin and hung it on the fence to dry. We had hot water with our gas heater. We really missed ice.

things that are great during an outage:
- a way to make ice. This was our #1 problem - keeping things cold. Although, we would find a way to do without ice if the outage was going to be long-term (months/years). At the cabin, I have 24 solar panels ready to go - need to get batteries and a regulator and build a garage so I can mount them to the roof, but their main job will be to provide a little power to the house for emergencies - and especially the refrigerator.
- a source of water - probably two is better - like a well and a local stream, and a way to purify it (tablets / boiling / filters - and extra filters).
- a heat source and a way to cook over it/ on it (like a wood stove).
- guns. lots of them. and lots of ammo.
- a mean (to them) dog with lots of teeth. or multiple dogs.
- living in the country
- a neighborhood plan for security
- bicycles
- a way to board up your windows. Folks in Hurricane country know all about this. I had a neighbor who had 1" plywood sheets cut to shape for all the windows in his house. Won't protect you from bullets much, but will stop folks from throwing a molotov cocktail through your dining room window or smoke bombs or whatever, and also protect you from prying eyes at night if you have your own power.

things that will probably get you killed during an extended outage:
- a little gas generator running all night when no one else has one. You can hear them for miles during an outage when there are no other sounds. Like an invitation to criminals: "we have power! come kill us and take our stuff!" Remember: only 10% of those crimes got punished.
- getting in the middle of a crowd to protest......anything. avoid crowds. Goes for long gas lines, and anywhere else folks gather. avoid it.
- an anti-gun sign in your yard. what that sign really says is: "Easy pickings".
- an ongoing spat with neighbors. don't make people hate you before or especially during an outage. tensions are going to be really high.
- bragging about how much food you have stored and how prepared you are. Just shut up about how much better off you are. Listen a lot, don't say much when in unknown company.
Holy carp. Most wouldn't ever think something like that could go down here in 'Murica.
There are many different.

""Americas"

Not all of them wait for a disaster.

They are disasters.

I have lived in several of them.

Sir H

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

HVDC wrote: September 13th, 2022, 8:24 pm
Cruiserdude wrote: September 12th, 2022, 8:21 am
mudflap wrote: September 12th, 2022, 7:42 am We lived in the city without power for a week during the most massive tornado outbreak in the country back in 2011. I'll tell you what happened:
-
Holy carp. Most wouldn't ever think something like that could go down here in 'Murica.
There are many different.

""Americas"

I have lived in several of them.

Sir H
A hungry man is dangerous no matter where he lives. Best to live away from the paved roads where the riff raff will be looking to loot. One good thing about living in a remote area is that a strange vehicle sticks out like a sore thumb. Especially city cars that aren't 4 wheel drive.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

yeah, other countries aren't going to help USA at this point - what with all our colonialism and "nation building" (AKA "nation destroying"). They'd just as soon dance and spit on our graves.

books -
- Bradford Angier:
- How to survive in the woods
- Field Guide to edible wild plants
- FM 21-76 (Army surival manual)
- Ellsworth Jaeger: Wildwood wisdom
- Reader's Digest: Back to Basics

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Here are a few tidbits of our experiences with power outages, having made it safely through several hurricanes and the nasty freeze a couple years back.

You often have a lot of supplies that are not needed and are left improvising because there was something that you did not think about. The key is to keep a positive attitude and work with what you have. I suggest having a weekend with no power at your house. 48 hours and you will have a better understanding of what works and what does not.

Know your neighbors and build friendships if possible. Know their strengths and weaknesses. We know which homes are willing to step up with medical help, security... etc. We have openly discussed issues that could arise if power remained out for longer than the standard week we usually endure with hurricanes. We have discussed blocking entries into our subdivision. This will not protect against roving gangs on foot, but makes it a bit tougher for easy target hits. Plus it lets people know that we are organized and prepared to fight back.

Several people in our area have military backgrounds. My son is living with us again. He was an infantry scout. He walks our neighborhood on a regular basis and talks with the neighbors. His info is extremely valuable.

Back to outages - My first experience. People are mildly curious at first. They are out in their yards, asking questions and offering each other help as needed. We were one of only three houses in the are that had generators. We learned after that first storm to not allow a neighbor to plug and extension cord into your generator. We were letting them plug in their refrigerator. However, they were also running fans, tvs, microwave, coffee pot... etc. We did not have enough juice in our line for our basics. From that point on, we offer to keep things cold for neighbors (milk, juice, insulin...) and we make ice and share as much as possible.

After a couple days people get cranky. They are accustomed to creature comforts such as showers and air conditioning (or heat in the winter). Many people do not know how to cook anything but meat on a bbq pit. I cooked full meals using good cast iron pots. I used my large stock pot for boiling water for dishes.

We learned that we always want to have a large supply of firewood for heat and cooking. It is primitive but it works. I honestly need to get a good magnesium fire starter. (Suggestions???) We have several bottles of charcoal lighter fluid, matches, lighters. But they will not last forever.

I play around with baking in a pit with my Dutch oven. I have learned to put veggies on the bottom, then meat and more veggies on top. If my coals are too hot, the meat will not scorch. Cobblers are amazing in a Dutch oven; even better than a regular oven. People's hearts soften instantly day 3 or after when you share a hot meal with dessert.

Use up the fuel on the generators early and don't bother getting more fuel when you run out. Like other have mentioned, this simply makes you a target.

During the freeze, only one family had water. They left a hose bib dripping outside and offered water to everyone on the block for free for 4 days. Homes in most areas of Texas are not insulated for a hard freeze. We have fully insulated our little place in the country. Speaking of which... one of the selling points for buying the house was the 10' brick bbq pit built into an enclosed screened patio. It allows us to cook regular meals as well as smoke meat.

In the country we have an area designated for burning trash. I am not sure of what would happen with trash in the city. I can only imaging that health issues are going to be prevalent due to lack of sanitation. We also have a backup toilet situation should we lose plumbing. It is a camping toilet and an area to bury, that is away from the house. Neighbors in Houston have mentioned dumping waste in the bayou. Total disregard for the damage to any possible supply of water. This was an eye opener. How many others would do the same, knowing it would wash away from them - Problem solved?

The thought that people have no concept of their own future need of uncontaminated water is scary. I do not think I would try running pooh water through the Berkey.

Basically, we learned that our neighbors are great. People can work through issues together short term without choking each other. People get edgy and stop being as generous as time drags on. Do not ever tell anyone that you have more supplies than will get you through a week or two unless you are prepared to give them what you have.

I cannot say enough for hand tools, good gloves, (extra pairs), boots that will hold up in water. I absolutely love my mucking boots and have a few pair. Stay out of water after a flood, if possible. In Texas a flood means floating fire ants. They are looking for a dry spot and will climb up a person before you know what happened. Snakes will be pulled with a current into your house when you open your door. (I have pictures on my old camera)

Those blue plastic tarps are cheap and very versatile. So is duct tape. Sharpen you cutting tools and have wet stones on hand. Develop good gardening skills and learn how to save seeds from what you grow. Herbs are so easy to grow and enhance the flavors of bland foods. Learn what "weeds" in your area are safe to eat and have medicinal properties.

Never trade off you ammo for food. In fact never trade your ammo for anything.

Have as much prescription medications on hand as you can gather. We were able to buy extra Parkinson's meds with our own money after explaining to my husband's doctor that we would be travelling. Insurance will not cover the cost of multiple months on some meds.

If you have land, plant some fruit and nut trees. Hiking around the country property I found 2 wild plum trees and 3 hickory trees. I have also planted plum, peach, and apple. This spring I will try citrus for the vitamin C. I have a lime and orange tree in Houston, but it gets colder farther north. I tried my hand at growing potatoes in grow pots. They did surprisingly well and the pots can be moved anywhere. I only had 8 pots but used the same concept with burlap bags. It is fairly easy to add layers of straw and homemade compost.

We pray that we will be able to make it to our country home if things go South. I could walk it in 6-7 days if I did not have to worry about evil along the route. It might take an additional week if I have to travel far from the road.

You cannot take any of it with you.... Remember to seek the Lord's guidance. Pray as a family... Teach your children to love one another.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Momma J wrote: September 14th, 2022, 10:00 am We learned that we always want to have a large supply of firewood for heat and cooking. It is primitive but it works. I honestly need to get a good magnesium fire starter. (Suggestions???)

We have several of these and they work great - https://beprepared.com/collections/fire ... re-starter

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

Momma J wrote: September 14th, 2022, 10:00 am
We learned that we always want to have a large supply of firewood for heat and cooking. It is primitive but it works. I honestly need to get a good magnesium fire starter. (Suggestions???) We have several bottles of charcoal lighter fluid, matches, lighters. But they will not last forever.
You'll want something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Texas-Bushcraft- ... B083RH93C6

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

EmmaLee wrote: September 14th, 2022, 10:09 am
Momma J wrote: September 14th, 2022, 10:00 am We learned that we always want to have a large supply of firewood for heat and cooking. It is primitive but it works. I honestly need to get a good magnesium fire starter. (Suggestions???)

We have several of these and they work great - https://beprepared.com/collections/fire ... re-starter
They are on sale at Amazon for 4.99.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Thank you for the suggestions. I have ordered a couple of each to play with.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Momma J wrote: September 14th, 2022, 10:00 am Here are a few tidbits of our experiences with power outages, having made it safely through several hurricanes and the nasty freeze a couple years back.

You often have a lot of supplies that are not needed and are left improvising because there was something that you did not think about. The key is to keep a positive attitude and work with what you have. I suggest having a weekend with no power at your house. 48 hours and you will have a better understanding of what works and what does not.

Know your neighbors and build friendships if possible. Know their strengths and weaknesses. We know which homes are willing to step up with medical help, security... etc. We have openly discussed issues that could arise if power remained out for longer than the standard week we usually endure with hurricanes. We have discussed blocking entries into our subdivision. This will not protect against roving gangs on foot, but makes it a bit tougher for easy target hits. Plus it lets people know that we are organized and prepared to fight back.

Several people in our area have military backgrounds. My son is living with us again. He was an infantry scout. He walks our neighborhood on a regular basis and talks with the neighbors. His info is extremely valuable.

Back to outages - My first experience. People are mildly curious at first. They are out in their yards, asking questions and offering each other help as needed. We were one of only three houses in the are that had generators. We learned after that first storm to not allow a neighbor to plug and extension cord into your generator. We were letting them plug in their refrigerator. However, they were also running fans, tvs, microwave, coffee pot... etc. We did not have enough juice in our line for our basics. From that point on, we offer to keep things cold for neighbors (milk, juice, insulin...) and we make ice and share as much as possible.

After a couple days people get cranky. They are accustomed to creature comforts such as showers and air conditioning (or heat in the winter). Many people do not know how to cook anything but meat on a bbq pit. I cooked full meals using good cast iron pots. I used my large stock pot for boiling water for dishes.

I play around with baking in a pit with my Dutch oven. I have learned to put veggies on the bottom, then meat and more veggies on top. If my coals are too hot, the meat will not scorch. Cobblers are amazing in a Dutch oven; even better than a regular oven. People's hearts soften instantly day 3 or after when you share a hot meal with dessert.

Use up the fuel on the generators early and don't bother getting more fuel when you run out. Like other have mentioned, this simply makes you a target.

During the freeze, only one family had water. They left a hose bib dripping outside and offered water to everyone on the block for free for 4 days. Homes in most areas of Texas are not insulated for a hard freeze. We have fully insulated our little place in the country. Speaking of which... one of the selling points for buying the house was the 10' brick bbq pit built into an enclosed screened patio. It allows us to cook regular meals as well as smoke meat.

In the country we have an area designated for burning trash. I am not sure of what would happen with trash in the city. I can only imaging that health issues are going to be prevalent due to lack of sanitation. We also have a backup toilet situation should we lose plumbing. It is a camping toilet and an area to bury, that is away from the house. Neighbors in Houston have mentioned dumping waste in the bayou. Total disregard for the damage to any possible supply of water. This was an eye opener. How many others would do the same, knowing it would wash away from them - Problem solved?

The thought that people have no concept of their own future need of uncontaminated water is scary. I do not think I would try running pooh water through the Berkey.

Basically, we learned that our neighbors are great. People can work through issues together short term without choking each other. People get edgy and stop being as generous as time drags on. Do not ever tell anyone that you have more supplies than will get you through a week or two unless you are prepared to give them what you have.

I cannot say enough for hand tools, good gloves, (extra pairs), boots that will hold up in water. I absolutely love my mucking boots and have a few pair. Stay out of water after a flood, if possible. In Texas a flood means floating fire ants. They are looking for a dry spot and will climb up a person before you know what happened. Snakes will be pulled with a current into your house when you open your door. (I have pictures on my old camera)

Those blue plastic tarps are cheap and very versatile. So is duct tape. Sharpen you cutting tools and have wet stones on hand. Develop good gardening skills and learn how to save seeds from what you grow. Herbs are so easy to grow and enhance the flavors of bland foods. Learn what "weeds" in your area are safe to eat and have medicinal properties.

Have as much prescription medications on hand as you can gather. We were able to buy extra Parkinson's meds with our own money after explaining to my husband's doctor that we would be travelling. Insurance will not cover the cost of multiple months on some meds.

If you have land, plant some fruit and nut trees. Hiking around the country property I found 2 wild plum trees and 3 hickory trees. I have also planted plum, peach, and apple. This spring I will try citrus for the vitamin C. I have a lime and orange tree in Houston, but it gets colder farther north. I tried my hand at growing potatoes in grow pots. They did surprisingly well and the pots can be moved anywhere. I only had 8 pots but used the same concept with burlap bags. It is fairly easy to add layers of straw and homemade compost.

We pray that we will be able to make it to our country home if things go South. I could walk it in 6-7 days if I did not have to worry about evil along the route. It might take an additional week if I have to travel far from the road.

You cannot take any of it with you.... Remember to seek the Lord's guidance. Pray as a family... Teach your children to love one another.
all really good points, MommaJ!
Stuff you mentioned:
- magnesium fire starter: https://www.harborfreight.com/magnesium ... 66560.html
- sawyer filter: keep one in every car: https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products- ... B08HWP19XK
- solar charger: keep one in every car. If your battery dies and you run out of gas, at least you can still charge your phone: https://www.harborfreight.com/5-watt-fo ... 60449.html
- wet stones: https://www.harborfreight.com/combinati ... 62852.html they also have diamond sharpening stones
- siphon: https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use ... 63144.html keep one in every vehicle. Better than sucking gas through a tube with your mouth.
- firewood: you need 3 axes: a felling axe (broad but thin blade - for felling trees), a splitting maul (6 lb should be good), and a hatchet (for making kindling). Chainsaws are nice, but we're talking "long term" here, right? I do have 3 chainsaws.... :) I think my Husky is my favorite - lightweight, but still has the guts to do a good job. Stihls are nice, but only a stihl dealer can work on it.
- wool blankets: stay warm even when wet. incidentally, I have a pattern for field tested wool socks on my store: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1222643187 ... ival-socks . They can be made out of common "fisherman's wool" available just about anywhere they sell crafts. Wool is antibacterial so it doesn't need to be washed as often as cotton. You can go a week (yes really!) between washes - awesome when you have limited resources.

on the frozen pipes - I just installed pex throughout my cabin - I was going to install it in the crawlspace, thinking what I initially read about Pex being "freeze proof" was true. then I did more research (Pex can freeze, it just doesn't burst as easily - so the end result (no running water) is still the same). So I changed plans and ran all of it in the insulated portion of the house. Only one line (kitchen sink) could not be routed through insulated inside space, so I ran about 6' of it under the house. But I kept it within 2" of the subfloor, and I'm going to insulate under it with a lot of extra insulation. We don't usually have super hard freezes in this part of AL, but it has gotten down in the teens and single digits for a week at a time. I'd rather rest easy at night than worry.

And we are about to start work on our HVAC system, but the wood stove is a great backup heat source, and doubles as a cooktop.

Also, a lot of thrift stores have old broken down "movie projector" equipment, telescopes, binoculars, etc. You can buy them for a few bucks. Inside, you'll find powerful magnifying glasses - excellent for starting fires. You should have lots of different ways to start a fire.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Momma J wrote: September 14th, 2022, 10:00 am Here are a few tidbits of our experiences with power outages, having made it safely through several hurricanes and the nasty freeze a couple years back.

👍
Can we be neighbors, please? 😁(you shared great info, suggestions, recommendations, etc)

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

mudflap wrote: September 14th, 2022, 12:26 pm

Stuff you mentioned:
- magnesium fire starter: https://www.harborfreight.com/magnesium ... 66560.html
- sawyer filter: keep one in every car: https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products- ... B08HWP19XK
- solar charger: keep one in every car. If your battery dies and you run out of gas, at least you can still charge your phone: https://www.harborfreight.com/5-watt-fo ... 60449.html
- wet stones: https://www.harborfreight.com/combinati ... 62852.html they also have diamond sharpening stones
- siphon: https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use ... 63144.html keep one in every vehicle. Better than sucking gas through a tube with your mouth.
- firewood: you need 3 axes: a felling axe (broad but thin blade - for felling trees), a splitting maul (6 lb should be good), and a hatchet (for making kindling). Chainsaws are nice, but we're talking "long term" here, right? I do have 3 chainsaws.... :) I think my Husky is my favorite - lightweight, but still has the guts to do a good job. Stihls are nice, but only a stihl dealer can work on it.
- wool blankets: stay warm even when wet. incidentally, I have a pattern for field tested wool socks on my store: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1222643187 ... ival-socks . They can be made out of common "fisherman's wool" available just about anywhere they sell crafts. Wool is antibacterial so it doesn't need to be washed as often as cotton. You can go a week (yes really!) between washes - awesome when you have limited resources.

on the frozen pipes - I just installed pex throughout my cabin - I was going to install it in the crawlspace, thinking what I initially read about Pex being "freeze proof" was true. then I did more research (Pex can freeze, it just doesn't burst as easily - so the end result (no running water) is still the same). So I changed plans and ran all of it in the insulated portion of the house. Only one line (kitchen sink) could not be routed through insulated inside space, so I ran about 6' of it under the house. But I kept it within 2" of the subfloor, and I'm going to insulate under it with a lot of extra insulation. We don't usually have super hard freezes in this part of AL, but it has gotten down in the teens and single digits for a week at a time. I'd rather rest easy at night than worry.

And we are about to start work on our HVAC system, but the wood stove is a great backup heat source, and doubles as a cooktop.

Also, a lot of thrift stores have old broken down "movie projector" equipment, telescopes, binoculars, etc. You can buy them for a few bucks. Inside, you'll find powerful magnifying glasses - excellent for starting fires. You should have lots of different ways to start a fire.
You already know I wish I could be your neighbor. I don't need to say it out loud again for the twelfth time...😂😁
Could you imagine a full community of folks like Momma J and you guys and the rest that really do see things as they really are?!?! Man, I'd feel like I had found Zion.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Cruiserdude wrote: September 14th, 2022, 3:36 pm
mudflap wrote: September 14th, 2022, 12:26 pm

Stuff you mentioned:

You already know I wish I could be your neighbor. I don't need to say it out loud again for the twelfth time...😂😁
Could you imagine a full community of folks like Momma J and you guys and the rest that really do see things as they really are?!?! Man, I'd feel like I had found Zion.
lol. yes, that would be the bomb.

Sadly, I think folks like us are probably spread out about 1 per stake.....A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump....., maybe?

In the LHBA org., there are at least 4 mormons that I know of (LHBA folks are notoriously shy). LHBA itself is chock full of libertarian, don't tread on me, come and take them, we-don't-need-no-stinkin-banks-to-build-a-house types. More or less.... I thought I had found heaven when I found them. Spread throughout all 50 states and Canada, it's quite an organization.