Doctrinal commitment to college education

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Doctrinal commitment to college education

Post by Mamabear »

“Elder Cook noted that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and its members have a doctrinal commitment to education. Studies indicate that a high percentage of active Latter-day Saints have completed four or more years of college — among the highest of all religions.“👏👏👏
What the? A doctrinal commitment to education? Cuz the scriptures mention how important it is.
Now be proud of being brainwashed at woke universities like byu!

“Latter-day Saint doctrine emphasizes the role of intelligence and the importance of education and knowledge, as outlined in Doctrine and Covenants 93:

1. Truth is independent — it “is knowledge of things as they are, and as they were, and as they are to come” (verse 24).

2. “The glory of God is intelligence, or, in other words, light and truth” (verse 36).

3. Exercising our agency to receive “truth and light” is essential (verse 28).”

I don’t think 93 is talking about college or EDUCATION.
You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... ation-week

ori
captain of 1,000

Re: Doctrinal commitment to college education

Post by ori »

Getting an education does not mean "go to college". I would agree that Latter-day Saint doctrine emphasizes the importance of education. But I would not agree that that necessarily means going to college.

cwass
captain of 100

Post by cwass »

I would say that a degree from a university in many cases can be detrimental to actual education of your mind and spirit. The most educated people today in many cases are the dumbest people. Proud and smug are descriptions I can use for some of my most educated friends.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

ori wrote: September 13th, 2022, 3:06 pm Getting an education does not mean "go to college". I would agree that Latter-day Saint doctrine emphasizes the importance of education. But I would not agree that that necessarily means going to college.
I agree, but that is what they were specifically speaking of in the article.

cwass
captain of 100

Post by cwass »

Is it education that has created this chasm among members of the church? Partially?

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

cwass wrote: September 13th, 2022, 3:22 pm Is it education that has created this chasm among members of the church? Partially?
In what way?
I don’t have a college education and it never bothered me the most of my church peers did. Or does it bother the educated that the uneducated are smart and have common sense? Haha

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

cwass wrote: September 13th, 2022, 3:22 pm Is it education that has created this chasm among members of the church? Partially?
No doubt.

Out with the "uneducated".

In with the "educated".

Not just in the church though.

In almost every institution.

Coupled with nepotism.

Brings in The Fatal conceit.

https://fee.org/articles/book-review-th ... f-a-hayek/

Sir H

cwass
captain of 100

Post by cwass »

Mamabear wrote: September 13th, 2022, 3:30 pm
In what way?
I don’t have a college education and it never bothered me the most of my church peers did. Or does it bother the educated that the uneducated are smart and have common sense? Haha
For instance...among the apostles is it possible that the need to be respected as educated among their peers keeps them from seeing things with a common sense approach.

Or for example when we lived in California and the church asked us to specifically be involved in prop 8 in support of traditional marriage during elders quorum....after class I was standing in a three person group that was saying the church has no business being involved in opposition to gay marriage. I'm moderately educated but the people who were most vocal in on this particular day happened to be a Harvard grad and a Stanford grad. It always stuck with me. It was an aha moment to me. It felt like evil speaking of the Lord's annointed.

never thought the shoe would be on the other foot.,..

silverado
captain of 100

Post by silverado »

We should be autodidacts.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Mamabear wrote: September 13th, 2022, 2:54 pm “Elder Cook noted that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and its members have a doctrinal commitment to education. Studies indicate that a high percentage of active Latter-day Saints have completed four or more years of college — among the highest of all religions.“👏👏👏
What the? A doctrinal commitment to education? Cuz the scriptures mention how important it is.

“Latter-day Saint doctrine emphasizes the role of intelligence and the importance of education and knowledge, as outlined in Doctrine and Covenants 93:

1. Truth is independent — it “is knowledge of things as they are, and as they were, and as they are to come” (verse 24).

2. “The glory of God is intelligence, or, in other words, light and truth” (verse 36).

No one can be saved in ignorance.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

Never confuse indoctrination for education.

Of course, those advanced degrees sure earn a lot of money.

Money that can be invested in real estate and development. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Last edited by blitzinstripes on September 13th, 2022, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cwass
captain of 100

Post by cwass »

Don't think a college degree will help anyone be saved.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

cwass wrote: September 13th, 2022, 4:31 pm Don't think a college degree will help anyone be saved.
No, but your capacities to save others could be greatly affected for good.

Though I will be the first to admit that college is not the one-off panacea. Lots of people opt for certifications, trade schools, and technical schools. The idea is to get to a position where you will be in a better area to help others.

cwass
captain of 100

Post by cwass »

Subcomandante wrote: September 13th, 2022, 4:38 pm
cwass wrote: September 13th, 2022, 4:31 pm Don't think a college degree will help anyone be saved.

Though I will be the first to admit that college is not the one-off panacea. Lots of people opt for certifications, trade schools, and technical schools. The idea is to get to a position where you will be in a better area to help others.
Agree to a point. Do the people wanting an education or more money ever get to the point of helping others due to their education or money?

In a conversation with one of the youth in our branch on Sunday he talked about what he wanted to be when he "grew up". He wanted to make good money in order to help others and travel the world.

Education can be great....just as long as it is helping you come to the knowledge of the truth.

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

Subcomandante wrote: September 13th, 2022, 4:12 pm
Mamabear wrote: September 13th, 2022, 2:54 pm “Elder Cook noted that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and its members have a doctrinal commitment to education. Studies indicate that a high percentage of active Latter-day Saints have completed four or more years of college — among the highest of all religions.“👏👏👏

Ignorance of God. Not man's education.

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

Acts 4:13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

You can help others no matter who you are or your occupation.
Look at Jesus.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

Mamabear wrote: September 13th, 2022, 3:18 pm
ori wrote: September 13th, 2022, 3:06 pm Getting an education does not mean "go to college". I would agree that Latter-day Saint doctrine emphasizes the importance of education. But I would not agree that that necessarily means going to college.
That is not what the article is talking about. The article is about Education Week, which is not about getting a college degree, but is only about learning.

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

Did you see this teaser below on social media? Then you’ve come to the right place.

On Sep 3rd, 2022 – We covered a drag show event targeting children in the name of BYU through various BYU affiliated groups. The public event happened at Kiwanis park in Provo, just barely off campus.

Too many wouldn’t believe it if someone didn’t document it. So here’s the full story with tons of details. Sign and share the petition to BYU at the bottom of this article.

Defending Utah, exercising our first amendment right to freedom of the press, assigned three journalists to the crowd working together at this public event. The group putting on the drag show, the “RaYnbow Collective” (The Y is to claim their representation of BYU homosexuals) claimed this would be a “family friendly” drag show. That’s difficult to do, since the nature of cross-dressing itself is not family friendly (the reason why the LDS church hasn’t even allowed it for employees at Halloween parties). Sexual fetishes have never been considered family friendly anywhere and as one protestor from Utah County put it, “Drag is a sexual fetish”.

But still, our intent was to give the benefit of the doubt and neutrally observe as journalists and report facts. If the show was truly benign, we would report it as such. But instead, the evidence shows the “family friend” intention is a complete lie. Instead, the evidence points strongly to suggest it’s intended to expose children to sexual content at inappropriate age levels.

New Section: BYU Connections
UPDATE: We’ve added this section for clarity based on feedback. This article already explains the various connections to BYU, but this summary paragraph is to put it into one place, because some people need to see it in one place, not everyone reads the whole article.

1. The drag queens themselves were both BYU students and BYU alumni doing the child grooming on stage, according to students and alumni that Defending Utah interviewed.
2. The Official Sponsoring Group was the “RaYnbow Collective” (it’s their screenshot above).
3. The group was raising money at the event, which they labeled for six different purposes. Some of those purposes are activities known to happen as part of the BYU experience.
4. The group uses the BYU “Y” logo, transformed into a rainbow. BYU does
not stop these unofficial groups from using their branding and implying
some level of endorsement from the university.
5. They’re supposedly an “unofficial” BYU group, as if that’s an excuse to distance this behavior from the university, however this is not a real excuse:
a. The same group is reported to hold other events on campus, even if this one was slightly outside campus. Students see them as a part of the university and the university culture.
b. Faculty do attend the meetings for this group, so they have faculty organizational help in their activities.

6. BYU professors have openly declared their opposition to the proclamation on the family, and they teach this to students. Read that article here.
7. BYU has a dozen or more groups that fall into the gender dysphoria category, some are official and some are not (listed below, and on the petition), and the same circles of students, alumni and staff may rotate between the groups. BYU provides money and resources to some, but not others. So picking and choosing which groups do the controversial things is only a dishonest way to hide that the university is supportive of the agenda as a whole.
8. Color the Campus – A related group is one of the most famous for “coloring” the BYU campus, they do events on campus, as their name even suggests. The only difference is there is no child grooming on campus (yet).
9. See the video linked below of a walk through of BYU’s sociology department, to see how widespread this is at parts of the school.
10. Some other examples we’ve exposed about BYU professors engaging in anti-family behavior:
– BYU: Princess Culture Helps Boys Overcome Toxic Masculinity
– BYU Professor Pushing Removal of Family Proclamation
– BYU Professor Attacks Teachings of the Church

11. Even if this one wasn’t, previous drag shows have actually been on campus.

At this show, children were directly exposed to an entire cast of men dressed up as very feminine women with the following important highlights that the public should know:

– Bulging private parts
– Nude-mimicking clothing
– Sexual dance moves
– Failed attempts to shield the sexualization of children from plain view
– BYU branding all over the event and the social media pages of the people involved. This is clearly a part of an attempt to fundamentally change BYU, and church culture itself, which even has the cooperation of BYU.

It’s time for members of the church to demand real action from ecclesiastical leaders who spend our tithing money at BYU, whether directly connected or not. In defense of the gospel, and the family proclamation, the people must boldly speak their minds or we are just as accountable as the leaders that have let this situation get this far with no real action.

Brigham Young University (all three campuses) supports many groups that are contrary to gospel doctrines including The Family: A Proclamation to the World

A long trail of clubs that BYU Hawaii, Idaho, and Provo are being associated with:

Affirmation (advertised as an official BYU Provo resource)
“A small group of students and faculty looking to create an LGBTQ support group at Brigham Young University-Hawaii joined forces with Affirmation to reorganize the chapter for the island. Their first event attracted over 45 LGBTQ Latter-day Saints and their allies and their Facebook group has surged to over 100 members and counting.”
Affirmation Hawaii (BYU-H chapter)
“Communities of safety, love and hope to affirm the inherent self-worth of LGBTQIA+ individuals as they define their individual spirituality with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints”
[What does the PLUS stand for?]
Encircle (An official resource advertised by BYU Provo)
“Builds safe spaces for LGBTQ+ youth, young adults, and families”
Listen, Learn, and Love (An official resource advertised by BYU Provo)
“A Latter-day Saint LGBTQ resource center”
North Star (An official resource advertised by BYU Provo)
“Explores the complexity of sexual orientation and gender identity within the context of faith”
The OUT Foundation
“A nonprofit organization empowering the LGBTQ+ alumni and current students of BYU to achieve their professional and intellectual potential”
USGA at BYU
“Understanding Sexuality, Gender & Allyship. A non-BYU sponsored group of BYU students, faculty, and guests who wish to enhance the BYU community by providing a safe space for open, respectful conversation on LGBTQ & SSA topics. They have weekly club meetings and other activities.”
Progressive Student Society in Rexburg (Supporter of Rainbow Day on BYU campus)
Rainbow Days (all 3 campuses)
“A day that rainbow-wearing students stand on campus and hand out LGBTQ flags, pins, resource pamphlets, and fliers while students and invited guests

Brigham Young University (all three campuses) supports many groups that are contrary to gospel doctrines including The Family: A Proclamation to the World

A long trail of clubs that BYU Hawaii, Idaho, and Provo are being associated with:

Affirmation (advertised as an official BYU Provo resource)
“A small group of students and faculty looking to create an LGBTQ support group at Brigham Young University-Hawaii joined forces with Affirmation to reorganize the chapter for the island. Their first event attracted over 45 LGBTQ Latter-day Saints and their allies and their Facebook group has surged to over 100 members and counting.”
Affirmation Hawaii (BYU-H chapter)
“Communities of safety, love and hope to affirm the inherent self-worth of LGBTQIA+ individuals as they define their individual spirituality with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints”
[What does the PLUS stand for?]
Encircle (An official resource advertised by BYU Provo)
“Builds safe spaces for LGBTQ+ youth, young adults, and families”
Listen, Learn, and Love (An official resource advertised by BYU Provo)
“A Latter-day Saint LGBTQ resource center”
North Star (An official resource advertised by BYU Provo)
“Explores the complexity of sexual orientation and gender identity within the context of faith”
The OUT Foundation
“A nonprofit organization empowering the LGBTQ+ alumni and current students of BYU to achieve their professional and intellectual potential”
USGA at BYU
“Understanding Sexuality, Gender & Allyship. A non-BYU sponsored group of BYU students, faculty, and guests who wish to enhance the BYU community by providing a safe space for open, respectful conversation on LGBTQ & SSA topics. They have weekly club meetings and other activities.”
Progressive Student Society in Rexburg (Supporter of Rainbow Day on BYU campus)
Rainbow Days (all 3 campuses)
“A day that rainbow-wearing students stand on campus and hand out LGBTQ flags, pins, resource pamphlets, and fliers while students and invited guests

Read the list of demands to BYU and sign the petition at www.CleanupBYU.org

you don’t want to sign the petition officially, but still support the cause, you can sign up for our mailing list for updates on this and other news and events)
Call and email BYU’s Honor Code office to demand discipline of those involved in this event.
Provo: (801) 422-2847
Email: [email protected]
Call and email BYU’s Office of the President.
Provo: (801) 422-2521
Email: [email protected]

Demand that Honor Code administrators and staff do their job and discipline or expel all students and staff connected to this drag show event.

Present your feelings on this drag show event and discuss from the full list of demands in the petition that you feel strongly about.

Call Church Headquarters
Main, Salt Lake City: (801) 240-1000
Communication Staff: (801) 240-2205
The church has employees whose job it is to hear what the members think, so you be the other part of that equation.

Present your feelings on this drag show event and discuss items on the petition that you feel strongly about.

Present your feelings, on if the church must absolutely force BYU to stop these programs, disband BYU’s Office of Student Success and Inclusion, and quit using tithing money to fund such activities, whether directly or indirectly.

Present your feelings on if BYU does not radically change, then sacred funds should stop being used to support the institution, and perhaps a brand new institution should be created.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

What Elder Cook says is true.

The problem lies in the logical fallacy the article’s author makes, in equating education with college degrees.

We Mormons are a highly credentialed population, but not a very educated one.

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

I'm not sure about light and truth but it looks like a lot of "rainbow" education.

I have family that work at this institution of higher learning and no, they are not janitors.

they got mad at me 6 years ago when I pointed out that perhaps the gay lifestyle that BYU is now famous for, and published in numerous journals across america, was a little out of touch with who we are.

Of course, they were also mad at me when I stopped going to christmas parties cuz the white elephant gifts had too many sex toys in them.

I find myself odd man out on a lot of things . . .my family are all going to heaven and I am in the dog house all the time

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

endlessismyname wrote: September 13th, 2022, 6:48 pm What Elder Cook says is true.

The problem lies in the logical fallacy the article’s author makes, in equating education with college degrees.

We Mormons are a highly credentialed population, but not a very educated one.
saints have traded spirituality with respectability and superficial good manners

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

Mamabear wrote: September 13th, 2022, 2:54 pm

When I attended BYU, there was a large monument that had "The Glory of God is intelligence" on it. I wondered, even back then..."what does that have to do with a college education?".

SempiternalHarbinger
captain of 1,000

Post by SempiternalHarbinger »

Subcomandante wrote: September 13th, 2022, 4:12 pm

Well, God calls men who are choked full of ignorance to lead his church TODAY so maybe we can be saved in ignorance.? Yes, the brethren (so-called prophets, seers, and revelators) are HIGHLY educated rich men (not impressed) unlike Joseph Smith, but it's clear they are completely ignorant of true knowledge, history, things of both heaven and earth, past, present, and the future. They are also oblivious of the differences between the spiritual and temporal aspects of the gospel. Clueless. True knowledge of these important truths CAN NOT be found in modern education.

Anyone who conflates knowledge with education completely exposes themselves as a fraud and is most likely misleading good folks. One mile in the wrong direction is a two-mile error, unlearning is twice as hard as learning the truth from the beginning. Send your children to BYU and chances are they will have gone 10 miles in the wrong direction when it comes to pure knowledge and most carry these beliefs with them for the rest of their lives all because of the authority figure they are told they can trust (The brethren) told them so. The result is unbelief and an incorrect understanding of God, man, heaven, earth. It's EXTREMELY hard to unlearn falsehoods but the church sure seems to be embracing all these falsehoods and delegating to others to teach our promising young ones these falsehoods as truths. Nothing good can come from this.

I have mixed emotions whenever the leaders compare knowledge with corrupt and polluted public education. Sometimes I can't help but laugh and other times I want to weep. In the end, it's silly and wrong to make such a comparison. For the seeker of knowledge, CES and BYU are one of the worst places you could go. Little to no truth is to be found there. But if you love them robes of the false priesthood it is the perfect place for your children's minds to be swallowed up by a dark, invisible, fictitious black hole.

Leaders and Managers by Hugh Nibley
https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/hugh-nib ... -managers/
On a side note, one of the main reasons why God commanded Joseph to translate His scriptures was for him to obtain a knowledge of history. Considering the importance, why is President Nelson downplaying the historic aspects of scripture? Maybe Nelson could outline and tell us where we can find "some history" within the pages of the BOM? That will never happen. Is it any wonder why ancient scholarship and religious education are dead in the church today? Our leaders don't even see the value in it because it contradicts everything they learned from their beloved education. And boy are they prideful of their education.

D&C 93:53 ... "And, verily I say unto you, that it is my will that you should hasten to translate my scriptures, and to obtain a knowledge of history, and of countries, and of kingdoms, of laws of God and man, and all this for the salvation of Zion. Amen."

The knowledge spoken of above by God is completely absent in modern education.

D&C 88:76–80 ... And I give unto you a commandment that you shall teach one another the doctrine of the kingdom. Teach ye diligently and my grace shall attend you, that you may be instructed more perfectly in theory, in principle, in doctrine, in the law of the gospel, in all things that pertain unto the kingdom of God, that are expedient for you to understand; Of things both in heaven and in the earth, and under the earth; things which have been, things which are, things which must shortly come to pass; things which are at home, things which are abroad; the wars and the perplexities of the nations, and the judgments which are on the land; and a knowledge also of countries and of kingdoms—

A commandment eh? Tell that to the brethren. Once again, what's spoken above is absent in the modern church and education.

D&C 93:24,25: And truth is knowledge of things as they are, and as they were, and as they are to come; And whatsoever is more or less than this is the spirit of that wicked one who was a liar from the beginning.

Ether 4: 13-17 Come unto me, O ye Gentiles, and I will show unto you the greater things, the knowledge which is hid up because of unbelief.
Come unto me, O ye house of Israel, and it shall be made manifest unto you how great things the Father hath laid up for you, from the foundation of the world; and it hath not come unto you, because of unbelief. Behold, when ye shall rend that veil of unbelief which doth cause you to remain in your awful state of wickedness, and hardness of heart, and blindness of mind, then shall the great and marvelous things which have been hid up from the foundation of the world from you—yea, when ye shall call upon the Father in my name, with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, then shall ye know that the Father hath remembered the covenant which he made unto your fathers, O house of Israel.
And then shall my revelations which I have caused to be written by my servant John be unfolded in the eyes of all the people. Remember, when ye see these things, ye shall know that the time is at hand that they shall be made manifest in very deed.

Why is this knowledge hidden from us? Unbelief! Where does this unbelief come from? Nevermind. education = knowledge. lol

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Artaxerxes wrote: September 13th, 2022, 6:38 pm
Mamabear wrote: September 13th, 2022, 3:18 pm
That is not what the article is talking about. The article is about Education Week, which is not about getting a college degree, but is only about learning.
The portion of the article I quoted was speaking about college, not the whole article.