Arson at the Orem Temple

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Arson at the Orem Temple

Post by BroJones »

QUOTE: "A cash reward is being offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for what investigators now say is a case of arson at the under-construction Orem Utah Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives is offering up to $5,000 for information about the fire set inside the temple on July 25, according to an ATF news release.
Neighbors and motorists on I-15 and Geneva Road began calling 911 at about 11:10 p.m. with reports of smoke coming from the top floor of the temple, KSL reported.

“Foam was used to extinguish the fire as much as possible, which limited water damage to the construction site,” Church spokesman Doug Andersen said at the time, noting that the fire broke out on the temple’s third floor. “The Church is grateful to the Orem Fire Department for their quick response.”

Read the full article at Deseret News.

Orem Utah Temple fire declared as arson - https://www.ldsliving.com/orem-utah-tem ... dium=email

NowWhat
captain of 100

Re: Arson at the Orem Temple

Post by NowWhat »

I know, I know, everyone says, "I have a friend who knows a guy who..." or something to that effect. Nevertheless, I have a friend who knows a guy who is working on the Orem Temple, and he said there have actually been three fires, although the other two were less destructive.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Where is the Orem temple located?

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Silver Pie wrote: September 11th, 2022, 6:03 pm Where is the Orem temple located?
1471 South Geneva Road.

https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/ ... ah-temple/

Just south of UVU, on the west side of the freeway.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2776239 ... z?hl=en-us

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Silver Pie wrote: September 11th, 2022, 6:03 pm Where is the Orem temple located?
In Vineyard

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Meanwhile the Saratoga Temple sits basically complete but unopened...just as it has been for the past 8 months.

Great8
captain of 100

Post by Great8 »

tribrac wrote: September 11th, 2022, 8:34 pm Meanwhile the Saratoga Temple sits basically complete but unopened...just as it has been for the past 8 months.
Why?

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

I spoke with people who live in the area, no one seems to know why.

One rumour said they didn't have foam for seat cushions. Later a rumour the chandelier wasn't complete.

Interesting to me how there was a big push for increased temples but everything seems to stall or face setbacks.

FreedomJess
captain of 100

Post by FreedomJess »

Just a side note: the Orem temple will cost (pre-arson) $96 million.

One temple. $96m. In a state with (according to Wikipedia) 17 operating, 9 under construction, 2 announced = 28 temples in Utah.

The term “Great and spacious building” has taken on a whole new meaning for me since my awakening.

DesertWonderer2
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer2 »

FreedomJess wrote: September 12th, 2022, 1:27 pm Just a side note: the Orem temple will cost (pre-arson) $96 million.

One temple. $96m. In a state with (according to Wikipedia) 17 operating, 9 under construction, 2 announced = 28 temples in Utah.

The term “Great and spacious building” has taken on a whole new meaning for me since my awakening.
You should go read 1Kings 5-7

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 5?lang=eng

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

I'm sorry to hear that. I know that a lot of good people have important memories there and that they have tender feelings for that place.

Edit: I was thinking of the MTC temple, but my condolences still stand.
Last edited by BuriedTartaria on September 13th, 2022, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Lizzy60 wrote: September 11th, 2022, 7:03 pm Just south of UVU, on the west side of the freeway.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2776239 ... z?hl=en-us
Okay, this gives me a visual, thanks. I've never attended UVU, but I've been there before.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Going Southbound on I15 the Orem Temple is blocked by an overpass and a billboard.