Women and Plural Marriage -- the Great Re-Awakening?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Mangus MacLeod
captain of 100

Women and Plural Marriage -- the Great Re-Awakening?

Post by Mangus MacLeod »

Those who have been paying any attention already know my story on this subject. Because this is yet another thread about plural marriage, I'm sure just the thought of it will have some people pulling their hair out. But the purpose of this thread is not to continue the ad nauseam debate about plural marriage , history, policies, practices and attitudes in the LDS church.

There are several other places where I could have picked up this conversation, including the thread that I started a few months ago about the undeniable negative biases of the LDS Church and the vast majority of its members, towards plural marriage.

viewtopic.php?t=67368

And I noticed the thread about "Women and Polygamy" in the Sisters' section, which doesn't seem to be gaining much traction, as often seems to be the case with threads in that section.

And, I could have used the Railroad thread, perhaps, but it doesn't seem like a great fit there, either, and last time I did that, with my story about helping a panhandler, the discussion ended up spinning so far out of control, that I can't wish anything like for that thread again.

So, here we are. And, just like my observations about Mormon' attitudes toward panhandlers in the Railroad thread, one of the primary purposes of this thread is to express my own, current observations on this subject. And I want it to be very clear, that these observations are not about any kind of LDS perspective, or pretended to be from LDS women -- who in my view have been so conditioned and biased regarding this issue, that little, if anything, useful can be gleaned from that.

The conventional LDS narrative is reflected in the following post, from the other Women and Polygamy thread:
Have you all noticed there don't ever seem to be any women defending polygamy here on our threads? Very telling indeed.
In contrast, the reality is, I think most members of the Church would be completely floored at how many mainstream women and couples are currently seeking polygamous arrangements. Completely floored.

Because I'm sure no one will believe me -- because it simply cannot be true -- it is always and only about the guy(s), and their desire for more sex. According to the conventional narrative, that is and always has been and always will be the driving force behind plural marriage. That is the widely-accepted (but false) conventional narrative. So I am going to offer just a few snippets of profiles from women actively seeking plural marriage arrangements -- to push back a little bit against that whole narrative, based on alternative-view, purely female perspectives:
Family Priority.
I am a healthy, happy, successful and objectively attractive 30 year-old woman, looking for the right family fit. My Mormon religion doesn't understand what I want and will expel me from their presence once they find out.

My priorities are: family first, God second and my faith third. I believe God graces and picks us to care for His spirit children. They must have priority.

I have thought about this for some time. I really want children. Not one or two, I'd like a minimum of 4. If this isn't in your cards, please move on. I don't want my children to miss on the opportunities of siblings. And when I'm gone, they will have each other.

I'd prefer a couple that are comfortable in their relationship. I'm looking to be second wife and to have children. I'm not looking for a bisexual relationship. I'm also not sure about being in a relationship with more than two wives. Having to share 50% of a husband feels like my limit. If you can't tell, I'm just pretty honest and straight-forward.
Craving Sisterhood.
At 28, I'm already looking for a good place to settle-in, become part of a family, and start having children. I would love to be a third wife in an established family I would like to become part of an established family unit looking to add on. Looks are not important but a caring spirit is my priority
Couple Looking for More
We are a somewhat open minded married couple looking for a LIKE MINDED single female..We have been married 18 years (bout to be 19)...We have 6 children ages 18-2). I am a stay at home mom. We homeschool our children...we believe in God and would like our Sister wife to as well...In fact, she must believe in God...be looking for a forever love...be my best friend forever and my hubbys wife forever...not mind living off grid...most importantly trustworthy, loyal, caring and moral...
Looking for a Sister Wife
I am a nearly-thirty woman looking for a wonderful, loving woman to be a companion and sister wife in my home. I live with my husband and our daughter, near Kansas City, Missouri. I like to garden and grow fresh vegetables. I take care of chickens and other animals, and manage a small backyard farm. I absolutely love to spend time outdoors in nature and the sunshine.

I grew up in a large family, and I LOVE my sisters! I wish they lived near me, but sadly, they do not. The last few years (since the pandemic) have been lonely for me - I would love to have constant companionship from a beautiful woman who could be my sister in marriage and who I could love with all my heart, like I do my biological sisters! Currently, I am a stay-at-home mother to my daughter, and am attending online classes for IT certifications, heading into the IT career field. My husband works from home and works a stable job for the local government.

I believe having a sister wife would be wonderful and amazing in so many ways, as I believe the support of women helping other women in an entirely non-sexual way is something special and irreplaceable. I just want a sister wife to love, talk with, connect with, support, and be supported by her! To me, that sounds like a dream come true - to love a woman and be loved in return by her, and have my family circle of love grow by one. I want a woman who believes in morals, has a sense of right and wrong, and is also open-minded and non-judgmental. She does not have to be Christian, however, I would prefer it if some religious background is there, or a simple belief in a higher power. I want someone who wants to be loved greatly!
Marriage Wanted
I am a perfectly normal, socially aware person, Tolerant and compassionate, Honest, loyal and faithful. Happy to be with my loved ones .

I am the faithful type. Fertile. Sexually adventurous. Educated. Family orientated. I would fit in with a family unit and be happy to help with other children within that unit .

I am a young lawyer. I work in the city for a reputable law firm. I am in my first year there. But I would rather be a wife and mother. I would happily forgo any and all career, especially in the short term , to be married and have children of my own.

I would like a mature husband who is hard working. I would want to be an asset to him and the family. I would love to belong to a large family unit
That's just for starters -- for all those who absolutely insist that it simply cannot possibly be -- no normal, sane woman would ever be interested in plural marriage.

Well, here's a little food for thought.

And, I'm going to throw-in a couple random profile images (you can try to match them) to help round-out the picture -- for all those who will likewise insist that no "attractive" woman would ever consider such a thing.
RL Profile Pic.JPG
RL Profile Pic.JPG (14 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
3WiW.JPG
3WiW.JPG (15.33 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
BG.JPG
BG.JPG (10.53 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
Last edited by Mangus MacLeod on September 8th, 2022, 8:56 am, edited 5 times in total.

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Re: Women and Plural Marriage -- a Great Reawakening Already Seems to be Happening

Post by FoundMyEden »

This makes my stomach turn.

Mangus MacLeod
captain of 100

Re: Women and Plural Marriage -- a Great Reawakening Already Seems to be Happening

Post by Mangus MacLeod »

FoundMyEden wrote: September 8th, 2022, 8:42 am This makes my stomach turn.
Yes, one of the great roles of a true Christian is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. I'm sure this will provide some serious affliction to so many comfortable souls, perfectly comfortable in their conventional narratives.

briznian
captain of 100

Post by briznian »

I know of a divorcee who once said, “I would rather share a good man than have a bad man all to myself.”

Mangus MacLeod
captain of 100

Post by Mangus MacLeod »

briznian wrote: September 8th, 2022, 8:51 am I know of a divorcee who once said, “I would rather share a good man than have a bad man all to myself.”
Actual life experience does make a difference.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Women and Plural Marriage -- the Great Re-Awakening?

Post by Sarah »

Mangus MacLeod wrote: September 8th, 2022, 8:39 am Those who have been paying any attention already know my story on this subject. Because this is yet another thread about plural marriage, I'm sure just the thought of it will have some people pulling their hair out. But the purpose of this thread is not to continue the ad nauseam debate about plural marriage , history, policies, practices and attitudes in the LDS church.

There are several other places where I could have picked up this conversation, including the thread that I started a few months ago about the undeniable negative biases of the LDS Church and the vast majority of its members, towards plural marriage.

viewtopic.php?t=67368

And I noticed the thread about "Women and Polygamy" in the Sisters' section, which doesn't seem to be gaining much traction, as often seems to be the case with threads in that section.

And, I could have used the Railroad thread, perhaps, but it doesn't seem like a great fit there, either, and last time I did that, with my story about helping a panhandler, the discussion ended up spinning so far out of control, that I can't wish anything like for that thread again.

So, here we are. And, just like my observations about Mormon' attitudes toward panhandlers in the Railroad thread, one of the primary purposes of this thread is to express my own, current observations on this subject. And I want it to be very clear, that these observations are not about any kind of LDS perspective, or pretended to be from LDS women -- who in my view have been so conditioned and biased regarding this issue, that little, if anything, useful can be gleaned from that.

The conventional LDS narrative is reflected in the following post, from the other Women and Polygamy thread:
Have you all noticed there don't ever seem to be any women defending polygamy here on our threads? Very telling indeed.
In contrast, the reality is, I think most members of the Church would be completely floored at how many mainstream women and couples are currently seeking polygamous arrangements. Completely floored.

Because I'm sure no one will believe me -- because it simply cannot be true -- it is always and only about the guy(s), and their desire for more sex. According to the conventional narrative, that is and always has been and always will be the driving force behind plural marriage. That is the widely-accepted (but false) conventional narrative. So I am going to offer just a few snippets of profiles from women actively seeking plural marriage arrangements -- to push back a little bit against that whole narrative, based on alternative-view, purely female perspectives:
Family Priority.
I am a healthy, happy, successful and objectively attractive 30 year-old woman, looking for the right family fit. My Mormon religion doesn't understand what I want and will expel me from their presence once they find out.

My priorities are: family first, God second and my faith third. I believe God graces and picks us to care for His spirit children. They must have priority.

I have thought about this for some time. I really want children. Not one or two, I'd like a minimum of 4. If this isn't in your cards, please move on. I don't want my children to miss on the opportunities of siblings. And when I'm gone, they will have each other.

I'd prefer a couple that are comfortable in their relationship. I'm looking to be second wife and to have children. I'm not looking for a bisexual relationship. I'm also not sure about being in a relationship with more than two wives. Having to share 50% of a husband feels like my limit. If you can't tell, I'm just pretty honest and straight-forward.
Craving Sisterhood.
At 28, I'm already looking for a good place to settle-in, become part of a family, and start having children. I would love to be a third wife in an established family I would like to become part of an established family unit looking to add on. Looks are not important but a caring spirit is my priority
Couple Looking for More
We are a somewhat open minded married couple looking for a LIKE MINDED single female..We have been married 18 years (bout to be 19)...We have 6 children ages 18-2). I am a stay at home mom. We homeschool our children...we believe in God and would like our Sister wife to as well...In fact, she must believe in God...be looking for a forever love...be my best friend forever and my hubbys wife forever...not mind living off grid...most importantly trustworthy, loyal, caring and moral...
Looking for a Sister Wife
I am a nearly-thirty woman looking for a wonderful, loving woman to be a companion and sister wife in my home. I live with my husband and our daughter, near Kansas City, Missouri. I like to garden and grow fresh vegetables. I take care of chickens and other animals, and manage a small backyard farm. I absolutely love to spend time outdoors in nature and the sunshine.

I grew up in a large family, and I LOVE my sisters! I wish they lived near me, but sadly, they do not. The last few years (since the pandemic) have been lonely for me - I would love to have constant companionship from a beautiful woman who could be my sister in marriage and who I could love with all my heart, like I do my biological sisters! Currently, I am a stay-at-home mother to my daughter, and am attending online classes for IT certifications, heading into the IT career field. My husband works from home and works a stable job for the local government.

I believe having a sister wife would be wonderful and amazing in so many ways, as I believe the support of women helping other women in an entirely non-sexual way is something special and irreplaceable. I just want a sister wife to love, talk with, connect with, support, and be supported by her! To me, that sounds like a dream come true - to love a woman and be loved in return by her, and have my family circle of love grow by one. I want a woman who believes in morals, has a sense of right and wrong, and is also open-minded and non-judgmental. She does not have to be Christian, however, I would prefer it if some religious background is there, or a simple belief in a higher power. I want someone who wants to be loved greatly!
Marriage Wanted
I am a perfectly normal, socially aware person, Tolerant and compassionate, Honest, loyal and faithful. Happy to be with my loved ones .

I am the faithful type. Fertile. Sexually adventurous. Educated. Family orientated. I would fit in with a family unit and be happy to help with other children within that unit .

I am a young lawyer. I work in the city for a reputable law firm. I am in my first year there. But I would rather be a wife and mother. I would happily forgo any and all career, especially in the short term , to be married and have children of my own.

I would like a mature husband who is hard working. I would want to be an asset to him and the family. I would love to belong to a large family unit
That's just for starters -- for all those who absolutely insist that it simply cannot possibly be -- no normal, sane woman would ever be interested in plural marriage.

Well, here's a little food for thought.

And, I'm going to throw-in a couple random profile images (you can try to match them) to help round-out the picture -- for all those who will likewise insist that no "attractive" woman would ever consider such a thing.

RL Profile Pic.JPG
3WiW.JPG
BG.JPG
The better test would be to talk to women who've already lived it or grew up in it, and if they would do it again. For some, the idea of having a female "best friend" is almost as attractive as having a husband as your best friend. But is it more of a idealized fantasy?

I'm all for freedom with responsibility. But freedom can't just apply to the man. Our current system of monogamy has it's pluses and minuses like any governing or corporate structure. The loyalty and commitment is needed for the children's sake especially, but it is restrictive in nature which may cause individuals to take advantage of their partner when they feel their spouse is obligated to put up with selfish behavior. So I'm all for monogamy, as it forces us to work with what we have and make it as wonderful as is possible, and we are proving what kind of love we really have. Charity is the crowning virtue, and so we are tested to see how much charity we have. But I say if you are open to having multiple wives in a family structure, you should also be open to having multiple husbands as well. It keeps the power balanced and in check, and allows freedom to be applied to everyone, not just the husband.

tmac
captain of 1,000

Post by tmac »

I’m pretty sure this discussion will just turn into the same old ad nauseam debate. It will be interesting to see if anyone else actually says anything new, or presents any other new information.

This is likewise one of those areas where the basic, fundamental Laws of Nature, that so many people seem completely oblivious to, also apply at so many levels, including the last post. Stop and think about it. What is the natural order of things? A lion pride (family) might be a good example.
Last edited by tmac on September 8th, 2022, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

tmac wrote: September 8th, 2022, 9:23 am I’m pretty sure this discussion will just turn into the same old ad nauseam debate. This is likewise one of those areas where the basic, fundamental Laws of Nature, that so many people seem completely oblivious to, also apply at so many levels, including the last post. Stop and think about it. What is the natural order of things? A lion pride (family) might be a good example.
If we only applied the laws of nature to ourselves, we would have no marriage at all.
Last edited by Sarah on September 12th, 2022, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

tmac wrote: September 8th, 2022, 9:23 am I’m pretty sure this discussion will just turn into the same old ad nauseam debate. This is likewise one of those areas where the basic, fundamental Laws of Nature, that so many people seem completely oblivious to, also apply at so many levels, including the last post. Stop and think about it. What is the natural order of things? A lion pride (family) might be a good example.
There are lots of different family structures in the wild. What if I feel like being the queen bee?

The curse on women is to make her dependent physically with her role as child-bearer, and because of this weakness she becomes humbled like a child needing someone to help her, thus the prophecy that man would rule over her. But the curse will someday be lifted, and she will no longer suffer the pains and weaknesses she was given. Man is tested to see how he will treat those who are weaker. Will he be generous, or will he feel entitled to "rule" with authority he supposeth he has.
Last edited by Sarah on September 8th, 2022, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Church_of_the_Lamb
captain of 100

Post by Church_of_the_Lamb »

The thing most people miss in the debate about it is what it does to women, It is very clear in the scriptures that it breaks their hearts. "many hearts died, pierced with deep wounds." Jacob 2:35

Mangus MacLeod
captain of 100

Post by Mangus MacLeod »

All of this is very predictable from the highly biased conventional Mormon perspective and narrative. But I can’t help but ask: “How many of you know a single Fundamentalist on a first name basis”?

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

Mangus MacLeod wrote: September 8th, 2022, 9:44 am All of this is highly predictable from the highly biased conventional Mormon perspective and narrative. But I can’t help but ask: “How many of you know a single Fundamentalist on a first name basis”?
Me

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Mangus MacLeod wrote: September 8th, 2022, 9:44 am All of this is very predictable from the highly biased conventional Mormon perspective and narrative. But I can’t help but ask: “How many of you know a single Fundamentalist on a first name basis”?
I would like to hear from women who've tried it both ways, being the only wife vs being a plural wife. If all you've ever known if polygamy, your perspective on what is ideal is going to be limited.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Mangus MacLeod wrote: September 8th, 2022, 9:44 am All of this is very predictable from the highly biased conventional Mormon perspective and narrative. But I can’t help but ask: “How many of you know a single Fundamentalist on a first name basis”?
Isn't your view highly predictable, biased and Mormon as well?

Church_of_the_Lamb
captain of 100

Post by Church_of_the_Lamb »

Ever Wonder why the LDS people have such a hard time with pornography? Its just another form of polygamy.

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

Sarah wrote: September 8th, 2022, 9:51 am
I would like to hear from women who've tried it both ways, being the only wife vs being a plural wife. If all you've ever known if polygamy, your perspective on what is ideal is going to be limited.
Go online if you don't already know someone in person. There's plenty of history going both ways. I don't think that's what is going to make the difference. Ultimately, it's what God says is right.

"You must choose. But choose wisely. For as the true Grail will bring you life, a false Grail will take it from you." ;)

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

FoundMyEden wrote: September 8th, 2022, 10:00 am
Go online if you don't already know someone in person. There's plenty of history going both ways. I don't think that's what is going to make the difference. Ultimately, it's what God says is right.

"You must choose. But choose wisely. For as the true Grail will bring you life, a false Grail will take it from you." ;)
Thanks for the suggestion, and I agree, what matters is what God says is right. Mangus just gave me the impression that he wanted religion to stay out of the discussion.

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

Sarah wrote: September 8th, 2022, 10:05 am

Thanks for the suggestion, and I agree, what matters is what God says is right. Mangus just gave me the impression that he wanted religion to stay out of the discussion.
Gotcha, sorry to intrude. :)

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

FoundMyEden wrote: September 8th, 2022, 10:08 am
Sarah wrote: September 8th, 2022, 10:05 am

Gotcha, sorry to intrude. :)
No worries at all 😊

Mangus MacLeod
captain of 100

Post by Mangus MacLeod »

I actually agree that it should be all about God, without any Church involvement and/or interference, because they are not one and the same.

Moreover, while most Mormons want to look down their noses from their moralistic high horses, the modern Mormon Church’s track record of 50+% failure rate among monogamous Mormon relationships is hardly some Gold Standard for comparison.

Talk about something that cuts both ways, and to no lesser degree.

So having the Church try to control and micromanage everything has really provided a great track record?

As with all things, the record speaks for itself.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Mangus MacLeod wrote: September 8th, 2022, 10:31 am I actually agree that it should be all about God, without any Church involvement and/or interference, because they are not one and the same.

Moreover, while most Mormons want to look down their noses from their moralistic high horses, the modern Mormon Church’s track record of 50+% failure rate among monogamous Mormon relationships is hardly some Gold Standard for comparison.

So having the Church try to control and micromanage everything has really provided a great track record?

You can say we shouldn't judge those who choose polygamy, but that goes the other way too. Women who prefer monogamy or at least equality shouldn't be judged as being selfish, biased, "Mormon" or whatever else.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Mangus MacLeod wrote: September 8th, 2022, 10:31 am I actually agree that it should be all about God, without any Church involvement and/or interference, because they are not one and the same.

Speaking of marriage failure rate, I listened to one pro-polygamy researcher on YouTube a while back and he said that in the early days of the church, the divorce rate for polygamists was 10% while the mongamous rate was 1%, or something like that. Obviously lots of factors at play back then, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

and there are women who are changing genders, lesbian, interested in bestiality, interested in threesomes, interested in polyandry, and raising children in all of these situations and LGBTQ and isn't there about 80 gendersnow? so . . .what's your point?

really stupid thread in this modern world

Mangus MacLeod
captain of 100

Post by Mangus MacLeod »

Sarah wrote: September 8th, 2022, 10:48 am

Speaking of marriage failure rate, I listened to one pro-polygamy researcher on YouTube a while back and he said that in the early days of the church, the divorce rate for polygamists was 10% while the mongamous rate was 1%, or something like that. Obviously lots of factors at play back then, but just thought I'd throw that out there.
Fair enough. It was a great big, new experiment.

But today, in 2022, we can compare apples to apples under current modern circumstances, and I would venture to guess that the current failure rate of polygamous relationships is no higher than the failure rate of monogamous relationships in the Church. The track record does not provide anyone with any moral high ground to look down the nose from.

Mangus MacLeod
captain of 100

Post by Mangus MacLeod »

EvanLM wrote: September 8th, 2022, 10:54 am and there are women who are changing genders, lesbian, interested in bestiality, interested in threesomes, interested in polyandry, and raising children in all of these situations and LGBTQ and isn't there about 80 gendersnow? so . . .what's your point?

really stupid thread in this modern world
Fair enough. What isn’t stupid in this modern world? Why don’t you bring us that list.