Recomended books on politics and religion

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
KingdomOfGoodHope
captain of 10

Recomended books on politics and religion

Post by KingdomOfGoodHope »

Hey guys, post your favorite books or publications on the struggle for freedom, and the Gospel truths!

I will start us off.

Founding documents: Declaration of Independence , Constitution , Federalist Papers , anti - Federalist Papers... I also look at the Virginia Declaration of Religious Freedom , Virginia Bill of Rights , the Massachusetts Body of Liberties , and the Colonial Pennsylvania Charters of Liberties. If I remember correctly, William Penn, a truly Christian man, was the creator of the Liberty Bell.

Books and documents of the Constitution: "The Making of America" by Cleon Skousen , "The Constitution: A Heavenly Banner" by Ezra Taft Benson , J Reuben Clark's speeches on the Constitution , "Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States" by Justice Joseph Story

Of course, the Scriptures, most especially, in my view the Book of Mormon, Book of Isaiah, and Book of Abraham.

Economics: Thomas Jefferson's 1791 essay opposing a Central Bank (he was a Prophet!), "The Case for Gold" by Ron Paul , "End the Fed" by Ron Paul

Other works of Skousen: "The Naked Capitalist" , "The Naked Communist" , and "The Majesty of God's Law"

The One Mighty and Strong / Davidic Servant: books by Avraham Gileadi. Alaris, I thank you for the Lord of the Seraphim blog as well.

I also recommend the books of Hyrum Andrus, a BYU scholar who died recently.

CFreeman
Hi, I'm new.

Re: Recomended books on politics and religion

Post by CFreeman »

None Dare Call It Conspiracy by Gary Allen will BLOW YOUR MIND!

TheChristian
captain of 100

Post by TheChristian »

The New Testament, the only "Good News" for today ........."Jesus of Nazerath"

KingdomOfGoodHope
captain of 10

Other good books and articles that I recommend

George Washington's Farewell Address (esp. it's comments on foreign policy)

Pat Buchanan "A Republic Not An Empire" (advocating for a non-interventionist foreign policy) and "Day of Reckoning" (on the huge problems facing the American future)

Aristotle "Politics" and "Ethics" … I know that there are some real problems with these books, and some are a sub - Christian standard, but there are many important insights that the modern world seems to leave out. He has a very good refutation of Plato's hyper - collectivism. He also seems to advocate a "constitutional" or "polity" government, as a rightly organized popular form of government. He praises a true King - Davidic Servant anyone? - as the best form of government, but tyranny as the worst. Aristotle also does a good job in attempting to bridge the gap between political science and political practice.

Hillsdale College's "Imprimis" newsletter is also something I admire. And their free online courses on the Constitution and the Federalist Papers, while flawed, are beneficial

The works of Hugh Nibley. The most brilliant LDS scholar of the 20th century. Admittedly, he did tend towards a left-of-center viewpoint on some issues.

J Reuben Clark has many good lectures on the Constitution and freedom, some of which are already listed by the Forum creator.

Hans Hermann Hoppe, advocate of anarcho-capitalism, has good refutations of advocates for open immigration absolutism, promoted by left libertarians. This is also referenced to an extent in 2 Nephi. I do NOT recommend all of Hoppe's works, or his economic - first material philosophy, but he is rare in libertarian activists today in questioning the wisdom of totally open borders. Hoppe is despised by political correct and compromising "libertarians".

Murray Rothbard on the Panic of 1819, and his other works on central banks. Evidently, Milton Friedman the pseudo - freedom fighter, and lackey of the central bankers was reported to hate Rothbard for this, and attempted - with considerable success - to wreck Rothbard's career prospects. Again, as with Hoppe, I do not fully endorse his methodology or philosophy, but the Austrian School is just about the only one left in the world, which backs sound money.

John Adams 1776 book "Thoughts on Government"

John Winthrop's (early Massachusetts colonial Governor) speeches on the "A Model of Christian Charity" , "Little Speech on Liberty" and his work on the History of New England

Joseph Smith "White Horse Prophecy" , "King Follett Discourse" … "Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith" (which I believe was mostly done by Joseph Fielding Smith)

The Journal of Discourses, by Brigham Young, amongst others

Ogden Kraut (a independent fundamentalist, though not an enemy of the mainstream Church) books in the series "Ensign to the Nations". I especially think highly of "Coming American Revolution" , "One Mighty and Strong" , "White Horse Prophecy" , "Relief Mine I" and "Relief Mine II" , "Jesus was married" , and "Pre-existence".

KingdomOfGoodHope
captain of 10

I also agree with the commenter who listed "None Dare Call It Conspiracy". Ezra Taft Benson had many good lectures / sermons.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

KingdomOfGoodHope wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 3:56 pm Other good books and articles that I recommend

George Washington's Farewell Address (esp. it's comments on foreign policy)

Pat Buchanan "A Republic Not An Empire" (advocating for a non-interventionist foreign policy) and "Day of Reckoning" (on the huge problems facing the American future)

Aristotle "Politics" and "Ethics" … I know that there are some real problems with these books, and some are a sub - Christian standard, but there are many important insights that the modern world seems to leave out. He has a very good refutation of Plato's hyper - collectivism. He also seems to advocate a "constitutional" or "polity" government, as a rightly organized popular form of government. He praises a true King - Davidic Servant anyone? - as the best form of government, but tyranny as the worst. Aristotle also does a good job in attempting to bridge the gap between political science and political practice.

Hillsdale College's "Imprimis" newsletter is also something I admire. And their free online courses on the Constitution and the Federalist Papers, while flawed, are beneficial

The works of Hugh Nibley. The most brilliant LDS scholar of the 20th century. Admittedly, he did tend towards a left-of-center viewpoint on some issues.

J Reuben Clark has many good lectures on the Constitution and freedom, some of which are already listed by the Forum creator.

Hans Hermann Hoppe, advocate of anarcho-capitalism, has good refutations of advocates for open immigration absolutism, promoted by left libertarians. This is also referenced to an extent in 2 Nephi. I do NOT recommend all of Hoppe's works, or his economic - first material philosophy, but he is rare in libertarian activists today in questioning the wisdom of totally open borders. Hoppe is despised by political correct and compromising "libertarians".

Murray Rothbard on the Panic of 1819, and his other works on central banks. Evidently, Milton Friedman the pseudo - freedom fighter, and lackey of the central bankers was reported to hate Rothbard for this, and attempted - with considerable success - to wreck Rothbard's career prospects. Again, as with Hoppe, I do not fully endorse his methodology or philosophy, but the Austrian School is just about the only one left in the world, which backs sound money.

John Adams 1776 book "Thoughts on Government"

John Winthrop's (early Massachusetts colonial Governor) speeches on the "A Model of Christian Charity" , "Little Speech on Liberty" and his work on the History of New England

Joseph Smith "White Horse Prophecy" , "King Follett Discourse" … "Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith" (which I believe was mostly done by Joseph Fielding Smith)

The Journal of Discourses, by Brigham Young, amongst others

Ogden Kraut (a independent fundamentalist, though not an enemy of the mainstream Church) books in the series "Ensign to the Nations". I especially think highly of "Coming American Revolution" , "One Mighty and Strong" , "White Horse Prophecy" , "Relief Mine I" and "Relief Mine II" , "Jesus was married" , and "Pre-existence".
Ogden’s books are excellent. His works were my introduction to Fundamentalism, as has been the case for many others. His work for the Fundamentalist movement have been outstanding and unsurpassed.

I think that Nibley’s “left-wing” views were actually spot on. I think some people too dogmatically believe in anything considered “right-wing” for the sake of being “right-wing” (I think these labels are ridiculous). When I read Nibley’s “left-wing” views I thought they were a breath of fresh air.

madvin
captain of 1,000

Post by madvin »

Waters Flowing Eastward - L Fry (nom de plume)

Architects of Conspiracy - William Hoar

The Great Prologue - Mark Petersen

Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith - Joseph Fielding Smith

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Here's my old recommended reading list...pretty strong on the political history though and lite on the religion...though a few in there...

https://yophat.blogspot.com/