Church resumé?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Church resumé?

Post by CuriousThinker »

Why do they post all the former callings, degrees, and jobs that someone in a higher calling (think 70 and up, including mission president) has before they are introduced before a talk or when first called? If it is inspiration from the Lord that qualifies them for the work why do they add all the other stuff? Imagine if that was needed during Joseph's time, or Moses', or David's. What would their resume be?
I know it isn't huge, but it shows how culturally in the church we really care about those honors more than just saying they were called by the Spirit.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Church resumé?

Post by Chip »

Worldly accreditation is to supplant all evaluation of spiritual merits.

Christianlee
captain of 1,000

Post by Christianlee »

Perhaps they think it gives the rank and file greater confidence in the ability of a GA to perform his calling.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

I once visited a home where the man living there had his Church resume engraved on a plaque, framed, and hanging up on the wall that faced the front door. No way to miss it.

Maybe someone had the plaque made for him, and maybe his wife insisted on displaying it in plain view. However, my parents knew him, and said he was like that at church, always bringing up his past callings.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Christianlee wrote: September 1st, 2022, 1:50 pm Perhaps they think it gives the rank and file greater confidence in the ability of a GA to perform his calling.
Yeah, like Fauxi’s decades at the NIH.
And Pelosi’s decades in the House.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

“They love to be seen of men”

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

I'm waiting for them to add their vaccine status to their resume'

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

When these Church leaders invariably go around the world on their assignments, they are presented with these worldly accolades before the different leaders. Just so that no person can accuse someone of being some random hayseed out of a random spot.

Not to offend the random hayseeds from a random spot.

That's why 14 of the 15 have college degrees. That's why you have two doctors, some lawyers, some businessmen, an accountant, among other professions.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

Subcomandante wrote: September 1st, 2022, 2:49 pm When these Church leaders invariably go around the world on their assignments, they are presented with these worldly accolades before the different leaders. Just so that no person can accuse someone of being some random hayseed out of a random spot.

That's why 14 of the 15 have college degrees. That's why you have two doctors, some lawyers, some businessmen, an accountant, among other professions.
Higher education has become the "strong delusion" of our day. It's easily evidenced by the fact that the more one touts their education, their affiliation with universities, the more locked up and hopelessly retarded they are. They have been made into terminal patrons of the status quo, never able to recognize its evils, but just cheerlead it perpetually. They are the most boring people on Earth.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Reminds me of how I was reading a book featuring Irish writers, and their potted biographies at the end were all about where they'd gone to university or worked in academia. I'm more interested if someone has worked as a postman or a fisherman than if they have degrees from University College Cork, Queens University in Belfast or Trinity College Dublin, because writing is about life experience... and academic skills and good writing are not the same thing. Some of the best writers have barely had any dealings with tertiary education.

Same rules apply here. If someone was an Olympic swimmer or raises Appaloosa horses, that's of more interest to me than if they were a mission president or on stake high council.

Boyd K. Packer was a hobby painter. He wasn't a great one, admittedly, but better than me and that tells me a lot more about him than his church resumé.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Subcomandante wrote: September 1st, 2022, 2:49 pm When these Church leaders invariably go around the world on their assignments, they are presented with these worldly accolades before the different leaders. Just so that no person can accuse someone of being some random hayseed out of a random spot.

Yes, a hayseed like some man from a Podunk settlement in landward New England. (Which describes both Joseph and Brigham.)

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Is this some type of South American sarcasm... ?

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Makes me wonder why God made Isaiah walk around naked for 3 years warning people of their destruction. It's no wonder they didn't listen to him. If he'd had a degree, or maybe a kingdom or a harem or two, he would have been taken a lot more seriously. Glad God finally wised up on how to do it in these the latter days.

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

For the bazilllllliooonth time, IF GOD BE FOR US WHO CAN BE AGAINST US?
Last edited by Vision on September 2nd, 2022, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheChristian
captain of 100

Post by TheChristian »

The signs of a true Apostle (Messenger of God) is the Signs, wonders and miracles that attend their ministery.........
We readily see such in the New testament for example Peter and Paul. Are such occuring as your wealthy Doctors, Lawyers, bussiness men, accountants and academic Leaders go about their ministries, if so they are true Apostles .
We find evidence also of such amongst the Christians whoms only wealth is their faith...

"Denis a son of poor highland folks felt called of God to leave his scottish fishing town and to go to London, there he preached about Jesus in a small hall in an area dominated by Muslims, Sikhs and Hindoos, indeed their temples, etc surrounded his little meeting place........
And they came to Denis and besought him to lay hands apon their sick and he did so in the name of Jesus, and the lame walked, those with incurable diseases were instantly cured.........
And yet Denis was in the midst of powerfull religions such as Islam, yet did not fear to preach boldly to the Muslims that Jesus was the son of God, even though he knew his life could be in danger for doing so.

For me, Denis a son of poor fisher folks was walking in the footsteps of the Ancient Apostles for the Biblical signs, wonders and miracles that attended their ministries also attended his ministry..........

And he like Moses and His Lord Jesus fasted 40 days and nights to prepare himself to serve his God and his fellow man....

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

h_p wrote: September 1st, 2022, 4:54 pm ... God made Isaiah walk around naked for 3 years ...
How many years has the DS been confined to Outer Darkness?

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

the church saints have replaced spirituality with respectability

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

so they can make saints like you proud of them cuz they fit into the world . . .there are other saints that could care less about worldly fame but thank you for pointing out why they were acting this way.

I can't get into their head and didn't realize the insecurity they must feel having to meet all those grand people.

sounds like hyacinth on those english comedies who takes calls from the queen

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

Lizzy60 wrote: September 1st, 2022, 1:53 pm I once visited a home where the man living there had his Church resume engraved on a plaque, framed, and hanging up on the wall that faced the front door. No way to miss it.

Maybe someone had the plaque made for him, and maybe his wife insisted on displaying it in plain view. However, my parents knew him, and said he was like that at church, always bringing up his past callings.
that was probably my brother . . .i mean my real brother who is such an a...

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

EvanLM wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 6:29 pm
Lizzy60 wrote: September 1st, 2022, 1:53 pm I once visited a home where the man living there had his Church resume engraved on a plaque, framed, and hanging up on the wall that faced the front door. No way to miss it.

that was probably my brother . . .i mean my real brother who is such an a...
My husband and I were visiting our daughter-in-law’s parents and attended their ward in Salt Lake. As we walked into Gospel Doctrine, d-i-law’s dad pointed out one of the older men, and said, keep an eye on him; he will make a comment during the first 10 minutes, and it will begin with “when I was the bishop...”
And that’s exactly what happened.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

You can trust me...

I'm a lawyer.

I'm a doctor.

I'm a professor.

I'm a politician.

I'm a religious leader.

These are all modern day titles of nobility.

And just like their entomological progenitors.

They can be trusted to feast upon us.

Sir H

Hogmeister
captain of 100

Post by Hogmeister »

What is the meaning of whited sepulchre? ;)
Last edited by Hogmeister on September 3rd, 2022, 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

HVDC wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 5:34 am You can trust me...

I'm a lawyer.

I'm a doctor.

I'm a professor.

I'm a politician.

I'm a religious leader.

These are all modern day titles of nobility.

And just like their entomological progenitors.

They can be trusted to feast upon us.

Sir H
It's interesting who does and doesn't use these titles.

I know someone who has a (non-medical) doctorate but is very down to Earth and is never referred to as "Doctor". You'd never know he was a doctor unless you asked or someone else told you.

On the other hand, I know a woman who habitually signs her letters and emails as Dr. X, and insists everyone refers to her as such. Her doctorate is also non-medical, but she's happy to allow people to think that it is.

You can probably guess which one of these people I'm friends with and which I'm not.
Last edited by Niemand on September 3rd, 2022, 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Hogmeister wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 5:44 am What does whited sepulchre mean? ;)
They probably think "Whited Sepulchre" is the name of a heavy metal band.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Hogmeister wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 5:44 am What is the meaning of whited sepulchre? ;)
Obviously it’s something racist, and therefore a thing they would never be......