Prepping Fatigue

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
harakim
captain of 1,000

Re: Prepping Fatigue

Post by harakim »

Pazooka wrote: June 25th, 2022, 12:08 pm It’s real...the prepping fatigue. Mr P and I have always been “preppers.” We tightened ship and got even more serious in 2020 and just never stopped. We have tried to plan for so many contingencies, like being prepared to backpack into the nearby mountains, if necessary. (Sidenote: I just discovered a local Utah company called Klymit that has lightweight sleeping bags, pads, etc - we have been really impressed by their stuff...and their bargain bin).

There’s still so much to do! Anyone else getting prepping fatigue???
You never get fatigued if you're preparing by changing your lifestyle. If you plan and purchase, then it is easy to get fatigued.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Mala_Suerte wrote: July 29th, 2022, 2:47 pm
Jason wrote: July 16th, 2022, 7:46 pm ...sounds cool as long as there is engine oil and fuel available...

...of course we happen to know about the prophesy regarding the chariots ceasing to operate...and it looks to be real time in 4-6 months...see how the chips fall...
If he uses an older diesel, fuel is much easier to come by than you would think. Any of the following will work old vegetable oil, old motor oil, old transmission fluid, peanut oil, etc. You obviously have to filter it well and some items are a challenge in cold weather, but there are workarounds. You could even brew your own bio diesel. Gas vehicles are much more challenging. Although, if it's old enough, you could plumb in a wood gasifier set up.
great info!

Thinking about this some more - doesn't seem like there a way to prepare for everything - eventually, there'll be a part you need that you can't get, and you'll have to go to plan B. Less moving parts is better, but there's only so much you can do before eventually, you're reduced to just a horse or a bicycle, and even then....

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

Jason wrote: July 31st, 2022, 10:53 am
Jason wrote: July 16th, 2022, 7:46 pm ...sounds cool as long as there is engine oil and fuel available...

...of course we happen to know about the prophesy regarding the chariots ceasing to operate...and it looks to be real time in 4-6 months...see how the chips fall...
If he uses an older diesel, fuel is much easier to come by than you would think. Any of the following will work old vegetable oil, old motor oil, old transmission fluid, peanut oil, etc. You obviously have to filter it well and some items are a challenge in cold weather, but there are workarounds. You could even brew your own bio diesel. Gas vehicles are much more challenging. Although, if it's old enough, you could plumb in a wood gasifier set up.
so true and good reminder. run old engine oil as fuel in diesel...filtered first although know folks who just relied on their fuel filters...much more power
I just filled about 16 gallons yesterday at work with used ATF. I love the 12v, peanut oil? No problem!

Mala_Suerte
captain of 100

Post by Mala_Suerte »

mudflap wrote: August 11th, 2022, 7:57 am

great info!

Thinking about this some more - doesn't seem like there a way to prepare for everything - eventually, there'll be a part you need that you can't get, and you'll have to go to plan B. Less moving parts is better, but there's only so much you can do before eventually, you're reduced to just a horse or a bicycle, and even then....
I missed your post earlier, but you are exactly correct. There is no way to be prepared for everything b/c there is either no room for all the stuff you'll need - ask my wife, she'll tell you how much extra I store - she hates it. Also, there is no way to afford everything you'd need. At least I don't have that much money.

There is a saying that I try to live by, which helps in being prepared, "two is one, one is none." So if I'm buying one oil filter for my truck, I'll buy two and have one sitting on the shelf, just in case. The extra item is plan B, but eventually, that will run out, in other words, I'll have to use the extra oil filter.

What I have found that helps is having things that have a minimum of two uses. One of my hobbies is motorcycle camping way back in the mountains. Storage in my motorcycle panniers is very limited. So if I take something, I want it to serve two purposes. For example, my rain gear not only keeps me dry, but it functions to keep me warm by keeping out the wind. My motorcycle jacket and pants both have an insulating lining to keep me warm, but they are bulky and take up a lot of space. I never take them on trips b/c if I get cold, I'll use my rain gear to stay warm. Obviously this isn't always possible. I'd love to have a backup AR for every AR that I own, but I lack the space to do so. So instead, I buy the items that are most likely to wear out and/or break.

I also try to have layers of preparedness, for example, my transport plan looks like this: Excursion --> Truck --> Motorcycle --> electric mountain bike --> walking. The ebike can be pedaled, so if the motor or battery crap out, then I'll remove them if possible and move on.