How can you tell if a dream is from God?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Ado
captain of 100

How can you tell if a dream is from God?

Post by Ado »

Ever since I was a kid, I have had experiences with vivid dreams that I remember clearly long after waking. I’ve had dreams like that maybe a handful of times a year. Aside from those, I’ve also had about 5 dreams all within the last 3 years that weighed on my mind more than any other. I write them in my journal when they happen, to try to make sense of them.

My question is, how are we able to know if such a dream is from God? Could dreams come from the adversary to deceive us? Can we have vivid, memorable dreams that can be explained psychologically? In scripture there are so many examples of dreams being the source of spiritual learning as well as temporal guidance. Joseph was told in a dream to stick with Mary, and how to keep baby Jesus safe. I’m sure it comes down to simple faith, but some of the more recent and more incredible dreams I have had that seemed spiritually significant also seemed to contradict each other, at least from my understanding. How do I discern the difference?
Last edited by Ado on August 21st, 2022, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Re: How can you tell if a dream is from God?

Post by marc »

Sooner or later, He makes it known to you.

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

adocrawford wrote: August 21st, 2022, 6:10 pm Ever since I was a kid, I have had experiences with vivid dreams that I remember clearly long after waking. I’ve had dreams like that maybe a handful of times a year. Aside from those, I’ve also had about 5 dreams all within the last 3 years that weighed on my mind more than any other. I write them in my journal when they happen, to try to make sense of them.

My question is, how are we able to know if such a dream is from God? Could dreams come from the adversary to deceive us? Can we have vivid, memorable dreams that can be explained psychologically? In scripture there are so many examples of dreams being the source of spiritual learning as well as temporal guidance. Joseph was told in a dream to stick with Mary, and how to keep baby Jesus safe. I’m sure it comes down to simple faith, but some of the more recent and more incredible dreams I have had that seemed spiritually significant also seemed to contradict each other, at least from my understanding. How do I discern the difference?
They can come from both sides. My suggestion is seek God and ask and then ask for an interpretation and expect it. If it be from God He will give you one and as Marc said - He will make it know it is from Him. Sometimes things we think symbols mean things they don't. So again an interpratation from God is necessary. He will provide. He loves you and wouldn't give you a dream jsut for you to not know. Ask, Seek, Knock.

NummyMilkBottle
captain of 10

Post by NummyMilkBottle »

I just don't pay any attention to dreams anymore. Screw that. My dreams are a mixed bag. I've seen some from the devil and some from God. But I'm not going to widdle around anymore with dreams. The devil can be very deceptive and even create visionary experiences. Nope! No thank you. Just the Holy Ghost and the still small voice for me thank you very much.

Being There
captain of 1,000

Post by Being There »

adocrawford wrote: August 21st, 2022, 6:10 pm Ever since I was a kid, I have had experiences with vivid dreams that I remember clearly long after waking. I’ve had dreams like that maybe a handful of times a year. Aside from those, I’ve also had about 5 dreams all within the last 3 years that weighed on my mind more than any other. I write them in my journal when they happen, to try to make sense of them.

"How can you tell if a dream is from God?"

does it really matter ?

Yes, some dreams of course can come from God.
"In a dream, the Lord warned Lehi of the danger and told him to take his family and leave Jerusalem"

The only way to know if it's from God or not, is to simply ask Him.
If you don't get a answer, maybe you will receive conformation that it's from Him.

but whether it's from God or not from God,
doesn't then mean it's true or not, or will happen or won't happen if it's not from God.

My wife had a dream about something, and the next day it happened.
Does that then mean it was from God ? - NO - it does not.

I don't believe that just because someone has a dream about something
and it comes to pass, that that means it's from God.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Dreams can come from no side too. A lot of dreams are just your mind trying to file things away or play out different scenarios.

DJB
captain of 100

Post by DJB »

"If there be a prophet among you, I the Lord will make myself known unto him in a vision and will speak unto him in a dream," says Numbers 12:6.
"Inspired dreams are the fruit of faith, they are not given to apostate peoples," Elder Bruce R. McConkie of the Council of the Twelve wrote in "Mormon Doctrine."
"The Lord does communicate some things of importance to the children of men by means of visions and dreams as well as by the records of divine truth. And what is it all for? It is to teach us a principle. We may not see anything take place exactly as we see it in a dream or vision, yet it is intended to teach us a principle."

What do our dreams mean?

Joseph Smith interpreted dreams of church members at times. In general, he said that "to dream of flying signifies prosperity and deliverance from enemies." Swimming in deep water signifies success among many people, he taught.
I read once somewhere that Joseph Smith said that if a dream is from God he’ll give you the interpretation. If no interpretation is given, count it as just a dream.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

DJB wrote: August 23rd, 2022, 6:20 am
"If there be a prophet among you, I the Lord will make myself known unto him in a vision and will speak unto him in a dream," says Numbers 12:6.
"Inspired dreams are the fruit of faith, they are not given to apostate peoples," Elder Bruce R. McConkie of the Council of the Twelve wrote in "Mormon Doctrine."
"The Lord does communicate some things of importance to the children of men by means of visions and dreams as well as by the records of divine truth. And what is it all for? It is to teach us a principle. We may not see anything take place exactly as we see it in a dream or vision, yet it is intended to teach us a principle."

What do our dreams mean?

Joseph Smith interpreted dreams of church members at times. In general, he said that "to dream of flying signifies prosperity and deliverance from enemies." Swimming in deep water signifies success among many people, he taught.
I read once somewhere that Joseph Smith said that if a dream is from God he’ll give you the interpretation. If no interpretation is given, count it as just a dream.
An Angel Type Image once appeared on a snap shot take from the base of the Survivor Tree in OKC. The interpretation came easy, but wasn't fully understood 'till many years later.

KerriM
captain of 50

Post by KerriM »

I have listened to a Christian on YouTube who does dream interpretation. He believes that all dreams are from God. Scary dreams, your-mind-sorting-things-out dreams, visions and such. He did a series of YouTube videos called dreams in the bible.

Here is a link to the first one in the series.

https://youtu.be/xLj05UV99m8

The channel is: Dream Life Decoded

It’s fascinating. He doesn’t use a dream dictionary and teaches that you should always go to God for the interpretation.

You can also look at the different dreams listed on the Bible on your own. These are dreams he goes through on his series.

Biblically-recorded Dreams
1. Abimelek King of Gerar – Warning Dream
2. Jacob’s Dream at Bethel – A dream of Promise & Blessing
3. Jacob’s 2nd Dream – A dream of strategy and wealth transfer
4. Laban’s Dream – A dream of warning and direction
5. Joseph’s First Dream – A Dream of Destiny Grain bales
6. Joseph’s Second Dream – Sun, Moon & Stars
7. The Cupbearer – dream of warning and foretelling
8. The Baker – dream of warning and foretelling
9. Pharaoh’s First Dream – A dream of warning, foretelling, actionable intel & strategy
10. Pharaoh’s Second Dream – A dream of warning, foretelling, actionable intel & strategy
11. Dream of Gideon’s Enemy – Dream of warning and foretelling, confirmation of strategy
12. Solomon’s Dream – a visitation of the Lord and a dream of request
13. Job’s Dream – A philosophical one
14. Nebuchadnezzar’s First Dream – A Dream of Revelation and Foretelling
15. Nebuchadnezzar’s Second Dream – A Dream of a Tree
16. Daniel’s Dream of Four Beasts
17. Joseph’s First Dream – Jesus as His Son
18. The Magi Dreams – A Dream of warning and direction
19. Joseph’s Second Dream – A Dream of Warning – Escape to Egypt
20. Joseph’s Third Dream – A death announcement & direction – The Return to Nazareth
21. Pilate’s Wife’s Dream – A Warning & Troubling Dream

This shows that God gave dreams to believers and non believers. Sometimes they foretell the future in an obvious way, but most of the time God uses symbols and we need God to interpret them.

John Redenbo, the Christian who put these out also does other dream videos including live dream interpretations. You can look through several past ones to get an idea. He's even broken them up to show individual dreams and their interpretations.

I have been learning about this and trying to at least write my dreams down. I dream all the time, but had never really thought much about most of them. I had just determined that they were mostly my brain’s way of sorting things out. The only reason, really, that I have decided to write them down and look at them as though they are all a message from God, is because God told me too. When I get lax, I feel drawn back in.

To be honest, I am not always good at remembering and writing things down. Then, I get so busy that I don’t always try and interpret what I dreamed. But when I do take the time, I am usually blown away. At the very least, this has become an exercise in “draw near unto me, and I will draw near unto you” with the Lord. Also, I believe the Lord wants me to get better versed in the language of symbols. It takes practice to think that way.

My suggestion would be to assume it is from God, and ask for His interpretation. If it's triggering a lot of emotion, maybe that was necessary just to get you to remember the dream.

DJB
captain of 100

Post by DJB »

BeNotDeceived wrote: August 23rd, 2022, 11:16 pm

What do our dreams mean?

An Angel Type Image once appeared on a snap shot take from the base of the Survivor Tree in OKC. The interpretation came easy, but wasn't fully understood 'till many years later.
Where’s Daniel of dreams when you need him 🧐

ParticleMan
captain of 100

Post by ParticleMan »

adocrawford wrote: August 21st, 2022, 6:10 pm My question is, how are we able to know if such a dream is from God?
Excellent question. Keep seeking.

I'm still working on it, having had several types of dreams. Some included an interpertation during the dream or soon after awaking or pondering or prayer. The meaning of others is yet to be made known, if any ever will. When no interpertation follows and the dream seems sufficiently significant, I postulate possibilities. It may take years for the meaning to become clear, usually after certain events.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

Try to shake its hand?

(Sorry, in a weird mood today)

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

great question. I have lots of dreams, many vivid and impactful to my thoughts, but I count them as just dreams from my inner consciousness. However, lately I have had a few dreams that seems to answer specific questions I have for the Lord. they seem to be from the Lord. Sometimes they say what I want and other times they don't. I don't count any I have had from Satan but some seem definitely from my own goodness or weaknesses from myself.

I really want to believe the ones that seem from the Lord are from him, I write them down. I don't always get an interpretation that is clear. Usually, I get an understanding, which makes sense, but seldom a full-on revelation saying the dream is from the Lord.

I have a very large and long and consuming task or issue to deal with. I often need the Lord's support along the way. Often when I ask for evidence from him, he reminds me that asking for signs isn't a good thing. So, I asked him if he would offer me a blessing to confirm my understanding. That night, he gave me a really, really strange dream. W/o going into details is was in regard to an upcoming trip with my son. Really strange with a moose head sticking out of a window, attacking a black bear. It jumped out the window toward me and turned into a nice buck and walked my way. I felt like it was the answer I wanted, my son would shoot a deer on our trip signifying my understanding was correct on my issue. But, these things happen with or w/o being god's blessings.

To make a long story short, Sunday I decided not to hunt, then it rained and hailed and was awful. My son wanted to drive around, which seems fruitless. The clouds cleared briefly and two moose walked across the dirt road. The mom decided she wanted to come into camp, and about ran my son down. I suddenly felt like I should accompany my son driving around. As we did, I mentioned my dream and reminded me that his Native American name is "black bear". As we drove for maybe 30 minutes on the main road, we spotted two more moose, as it got dark, he yelled to stop. At the only intersection and next to the parking lot, a buck was standing in the dense trees. He got out and arrowed it and dropped it right there. It then proceeded to rain and hail like never before but he was successful. To be clear I have only seen moose a few times (outside of Yellowstone and Alaska), never multiple times in a day and never in my camp, lastly never had one chase us in camp. then to get the only buck we saw 5 minutes later, sure seemed to make this dream a true answer to revelation.

All these rare events in one short period and the dream on the night of the prayer all add up, at least to me. I thank the Lord, not for the hunting success but for both listening to my prayer and answering it and even more for confirming that my prayers in the larger matter will be answered in his due time.

Ado
captain of 100

Post by Ado »

TheDuke wrote: August 24th, 2022, 5:37 pm great question. I have lots of dreams, many vivid and impactful to my thoughts, but I count them as just dreams from my inner consciousness. However, lately I have had a few dreams that seems to answer specific questions I have for the Lord. they seem to be from the Lord. Sometimes they say what I want and other times they don't. I don't count any I have had from Satan but some seem definitely from my own goodness or weaknesses from myself.

I really want to believe the ones that seem from the Lord are from him, I write them down. I don't always get an interpretation that is clear. Usually, I get an understanding, which makes sense, but seldom a full-on revelation saying the dream is from the Lord.

I have a very large and long and consuming task or issue to deal with. I often need the Lord's support along the way. Often when I ask for evidence from him, he reminds me that asking for signs isn't a good thing. So, I asked him if he would offer me a blessing to confirm my understanding. That night, he gave me a really, really strange dream. W/o going into details is was in regard to an upcoming trip with my son. Really strange with a moose head sticking out of a window, attacking a black bear. It jumped out the window toward me and turned into a nice buck and walked my way. I felt like it was the answer I wanted, my son would shoot a deer on our trip signifying my understanding was correct on my issue. But, these things happen with or w/o being god's blessings.

To make a long story short, Sunday I decided not to hunt, then it rained and hailed and was awful. My son wanted to drive around, which seems fruitless. The clouds cleared briefly and two moose walked across the dirt road. The mom decided she wanted to come into camp, and about ran my son down. I suddenly felt like I should accompany my son driving around. As we did, I mentioned my dream and reminded me that his Native American name is "black bear". As we drove for maybe 30 minutes on the main road, we spotted two more moose, as it got dark, he yelled to stop. At the only intersection and next to the parking lot, a buck was standing in the dense trees. He got out and arrowed it and dropped it right there. It then proceeded to rain and hail like never before but he was successful. To be clear I have only seen moose a few times (outside of Yellowstone and Alaska), never multiple times in a day and never in my camp, lastly never had one chase us in camp. then to get the only buck we saw 5 minutes later, sure seemed to make this dream a true answer to revelation.

All these rare events in one short period and the dream on the night of the prayer all add up, at least to me. I thank the Lord, not for the hunting success but for both listening to my prayer and answering it and even more for confirming that my prayers in the larger matter will be answered in his due time.
Thank you for sharing. That’s a really special experience! I also asked God a question in prayer recently. After reading the story when Peter sees Jesus walking on the water and asks “Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water”, I decided to ask something similar. Something along the lines of, “Lord, if this still is your church, command me to stay.” I guess I was feeling desperate. Anyways, the dream I had that night was that I was looking out of a window onto a field. I heard a voice behind me telling people to go out into the field and rescue the sheep. They were being rushed. Time was running out. I could see outside that it was getting dark. I watched as the first person went out, and heard the voice narrate behind me what I was seeing. Several small wolves ran up to the man and attacked him. The voice behind me said, “He tried to fight them off, but his efforts were futile and only made matters worse.” Then the scene through the window changed to a different woman walking outside into the field. She was also surrounded by small wolves. They seemed so small and harmless, and were just sniffing around her. The voice behind me said “She thought that if she stood still and ignored them, they would eventually leave her alone. But that didn’t work, either.” I saw them become rabid and begin to attack her. Finally the voice behind me told me it was my turn to go outside and rescue the sheep. I said no way, why would I do that if I’m just going to be attacked and defenseless. I was shown through the window another person go out. As the wolves approached him, he quickly ran and screamed while reaching for as many sheep as he could carry. I heard the voice say, “Yes there are wolves. But so are my sheep, and they need to be brought in. You can’t fight the wolves and you can’t ignore them either. But if you’ll keep running and screaming, you will be okay.”
Then I woke up.
I suppose it must have been an answer to my prayer. Not the most comforting one, though. And I am not sure what it means to run and scream in this context.

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

adocrawford wrote: August 24th, 2022, 6:07 pm
TheDuke wrote: August 24th, 2022, 5:37 pm great question. I have lots of dreams, many vivid and impactful to my thoughts, but I count them as just dreams from my inner consciousness. However, lately I have had a few dreams that seems to answer specific questions I have for the Lord. they seem to be from the Lord. Sometimes they say what I want and other times they don't. I don't count any I have had from Satan but some seem definitely from my own goodness or weaknesses from myself.

Thank you for sharing. That’s a really special experience! I also asked God a question in prayer recently. After reading the story when Peter sees Jesus walking on the water and asks “Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water”, I decided to ask something similar. Something along the lines of, “Lord, if this still is your church, command me to stay.” I guess I was feeling desperate. Anyways, the dream I had that night was that I was looking out of a window onto a field. I heard a voice behind me telling people to go out into the field and rescue the sheep. They were being rushed. Time was running out. I could see outside that it was getting dark. I watched as the first person went out, and heard the voice narrate behind me what I was seeing. Several small wolves ran up to the man and attacked him. The voice behind me said, “He tried to fight them off, but his efforts were futile and only made matters worse.” Then the scene through the window changed to a different woman walking outside into the field. She was also surrounded by small wolves. They seemed so small and harmless, and were just sniffing around her. The voice behind me said “She thought that if she stood still and ignored them, they would eventually leave her alone. But that didn’t work, either.” I saw them become rabid and begin to attack her. Finally the voice behind me told me it was my turn to go outside and rescue the sheep. I said no way, why would I do that if I’m just going to be attacked and defenseless. I was shown through the window another person go out. As the wolves approached him, he quickly ran and screamed while reaching for as many sheep as he could carry. I heard the voice say, “Yes there are wolves. But so are my sheep, and they need to be brought in. You can’t fight the wolves and you can’t ignore them either. But if you’ll keep running and screaming, you will be okay.”
Then I woke up.
I suppose it must have been an answer to my prayer. Not the most comforting one, though. And I am not sure what it means to run and scream in this context.
I mean take it with a grain of salt, but If I were to give an interpretation it would be thus: There are wolves in teh church, as well as sheep. The wolves are eating hte sheep - wolf often has power otherwise it could not eat the sheep. There are still sheep in the church. Share (scream) truths that you know and try to bring as many sheep with you as the wolves eventually will have to attack on another. You see now, but You also can not fight the wolves, but you can rely on God and He is the Great Shepherd. Trust in Him and do His work, He will protect you as long as you are running to Him and along the way keep screaming "all is not well - seek ye the Shepherd" and bring them all with you to Him as soon as possible. Don't fight the wolves (leadership) don't ignore teh evil that is being done - rely wholly on Him and rescue as many sheep as you can with the Lord's grace and in His name.

Ado
captain of 100

Post by Ado »

John Tavner wrote: August 24th, 2022, 7:06 pm
adocrawford wrote: August 24th, 2022, 6:07 pm

Then I woke up.
I mean take it with a grain of salt, but If I were to give an interpretation it would be thus: There are wolves in teh church, as well as sheep. The wolves are eating hte sheep - wolf often has power otherwise it could not eat the sheep. There are still sheep in the church. Share (scream) truths that you know and try to bring as many sheep with you as the wolves eventually will have to attack on another. You see now, but You also can not fight the wolves, but you can rely on God and He is the Great Shepherd. Trust in Him and do His work, He will protect you as long as you are running to Him and along the way keep screaming "all is not well - seek ye the Shepherd" and bring them all with you to Him as soon as possible. Don't fight the wolves (leadership) don't ignore teh evil that is being done - rely wholly on Him and rescue as many sheep as you can with the Lord's grace and in His name.
Thank you for sharing your interpretation. I had come to some of the same conclusions through prayer, but your thoughts on what it means to run and scream hadn’t occurred to me. It makes sense. I’ll pray on that. Thanks again.

KerriM
captain of 50

Post by KerriM »

My guess would be more along the lines that the field is more than "the church", more likely your geographical area. The sheep and the wolves are found inside and outside of a church. The problem happening inside of our church is happening in every church and organization. It's not unique to us. Bringing His sheep to Him is what matters. The wolves are inside and outside any given organization, so that isn't going away by changing how you try and avoid the wolves. Maybe it's useless to focus on just fighting what's wrong. Also, sitting and doing nothing is not going to work either. I like the the idea that the screaming and running has to do with sharing.

As with any interpretation, take it to the Lord. Also, if you're not clear, you can ask for more and he may give you a dream that's the same answer, but in a different way. Sometimes I've had dreams in a row, and I realized they were the same message, but given in a different way each time until I got it.

Rumpelstiltskin
captain of 1,000

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

I don't have much advice as to how to tell a dream that's just from you, from God, or from the Devil. The Devil can and does inspire dreams.

"Many spirits of the departed, who are unhappy, linger in lonely wretchedness about the earth, and in the air, and especially about their ancient homesteads, and the places rendered dear to them by the memory of former scenes. The more wicked of these are the kind spoken of in Scripture, as 'foul spirits,' 'unclean spirits,' spirits who afflict persons in the flesh, and engender various diseases in the human system. They will sometimes enter human bodies, and will distract them, throw them into fits, cast them into the water, into the fire, etc. They will trouble them with dreams, nightmare, hysterics, fever, etc. They will also deform them in body and in features, by convulsions, cramps, contortions, etc., and will sometimes compel them to utter blasphemies, horrible curses, and even words of other languages. If permitted, they will often cause death. Some of these spirits-are adulterous, and suggest to the mind all manner of lasciviousness, all kinds of evil thoughts and temptations" (Parley P. Pratt, Key to the Science of Theology, pp 120-121).

Ado
captain of 100

Post by Ado »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote: August 25th, 2022, 2:05 pm

I don't have much advice as to how to tell a dream that's just from you, from God, or from the Devil. The Devil can and does inspire dreams.

"Many spirits of the departed, who are unhappy, linger in lonely wretchedness about the earth, and in the air, and especially about their ancient homesteads, and the places rendered dear to them by the memory of former scenes. The more wicked of these are the kind spoken of in Scripture, as 'foul spirits,' 'unclean spirits,' spirits who afflict persons in the flesh, and engender various diseases in the human system. They will sometimes enter human bodies, and will distract them, throw them into fits, cast them into the water, into the fire, etc. They will trouble them with dreams, nightmare, hysterics, fever, etc. They will also deform them in body and in features, by convulsions, cramps, contortions, etc., and will sometimes compel them to utter blasphemies, horrible curses, and even words of other languages. If permitted, they will often cause death. Some of these spirits-are adulterous, and suggest to the mind all manner of lasciviousness, all kinds of evil thoughts and temptations" (Parley P. Pratt, Key to the Science of Theology, pp 120-121).
I didn’t think demons could cause death. That’s quite scary to think about.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

If you feel a very deep peace that seems to transcend this world and give understanding at the same time.

Rumpelstiltskin
captain of 1,000

adocrawford wrote: August 25th, 2022, 8:34 pm

"While in Washington two of my children came down with diphtheria, and some thirty years ago, when a child had diphtheria it nearly always died. I have known diphtheria to come into a home and take six and seven children one after another. My little girl was at death's door, and I heard the doctor say to the nurse that if she missed giving the child this strong stimulant for fifteen minutes during the night, if she missed once, the child would not live. I sat up all night to see that the nurse did not miss giving the stimulant. In the morning the child was no better. I went into my room, I locked the door, I supplicated God for the life of my little child. And while doing so, the inspiration came to me, "Send for the elders, to rebuke the destroyer, the adversary, and your daughter shall live." I sent for President George Q. Cannon and Bishop Hiram B. Clawson, who were then in Washington, and they came to that boarding house, and they anointed my child, and President Cannon in confirming that anointing, said, “The adversary, the destroyer, has decreed your death and made public announcement of the same, but by the authority of the Priesthood of the living God, that we as His servants hold, we rebuke the power of the destroyer, we rebuke the decree of the adversary, and we say that you shall live and become a mother in Israel." And she did live, and she did become a mother, and in the providences of the Lord her children are the great-grandchildren of George Q. Cannon. During the weeks before she recovered I thought of that prayer, time and time and time again. Never before, and never since, have I ever heard those words, ''The adversary, the destroyer, has decreed your death and made public announcement of the same" (Pres. Heber J. Grant, The Juvenile Instructor, Vol 61, No 2, Feb 1926, pp 60-61).

"During this time of trouble with the elements, and sea sickness, the powers of the evil one were manifested in the case of a lad named Mackenzie, about twelve years of age, who in the dead hour of night came leaping from his bunk, shouting at the top of his voice the name of John McNeil; it soon became apparent that he was possessed of an evil spirit, which was so enraged that for hours the brethren labored to exorcise him; but this proved effectual only for a short time, as the evil one returned bringing others of his companions with him and again entered into the lad. This was repeated several times, until there were seven of them who called themselves legion and bid defiance to all who were on the ship, declaring that they would be subject to no one but Brigham Young. They also threatened to follow the Saints until they should reach the mountains. During the administrations of the brethren, the spirit of the Lord was so visibly manifest, that the discernment of spirits was given to Elder Thomas Smith so plainly that he could see them, and he demanded of them in the name of Jesus Christ, that they should tell their names. With this request they complied very reluctantly, but finally yielded, and one by one obeyed and were exorcised. The seventh and last one was finally cast out. This left the poor boy in a very feeble state, and for several days his life was in jeopardy. At times, when the evil spirits were expelled from the boy, they would afflict others, though not to such an extent as the main object of their power. On one occasion the writer and two of his immediate friends, were overcome by this power. True to their threats, as I afterwards learned, they followed in the wake of the Saints, their special object of hatred being Elder Smith, whom they finally overcame, and in the town of St. Joseph, Missouri, the poor man succumbed to their dreadful power, while he was calling for help from the Elders of the Church, of whom there were none to be reached in time to save his life. President William Howell also died in great distress at Council Bluffs the following year after our arrival in the United States" (The Contributor, Vol 13, No. 8, June 1892, p 346).

There are limits as to what Satan and his ilk are permitted to do.

"Satan exerts a mastery over the spirits that have been corrupted by his practices; he is the foremost of the angels who were thrust down, and the instigator of the ruin of those who fall in this life; he seeks to molest and hinder mankind in good efforts, by tempting to sin; it may be by imposing sickness or possibly death. Yet in all these malignant doings, he can go no farther than the transgressions of the victim may enable him, or the wisdom of God may permit him to go, and he may at any time be checked by the superior power" (Elder James E. Talmage, The Articles of Faith: A Series of Lectures, pp 65-66).

Ado
captain of 100

Post by Ado »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote: August 25th, 2022, 11:56 pm

"While in Washington two of my children came down with diphtheria, and some thirty years ago, when a child had diphtheria it nearly always died. I have known diphtheria to come into a home and take six and seven children one after another. My little girl was at death's door, and I heard the doctor say to the nurse that if she missed giving the child this strong stimulant for fifteen minutes during the night, if she missed once, the child would not live. I sat up all night to see that the nurse did not miss giving the stimulant. In the morning the child was no better. I went into my room, I locked the door, I supplicated God for the life of my little child. And while doing so, the inspiration came to me, "Send for the elders, to rebuke the destroyer, the adversary, and your daughter shall live." I sent for President George Q. Cannon and Bishop Hiram B. Clawson, who were then in Washington, and they came to that boarding house, and they anointed my child, and President Cannon in confirming that anointing, said, “The adversary, the destroyer, has decreed your death and made public announcement of the same, but by the authority of the Priesthood of the living God, that we as His servants hold, we rebuke the power of the destroyer, we rebuke the decree of the adversary, and we say that you shall live and become a mother in Israel." And she did live, and she did become a mother, and in the providences of the Lord her children are the great-grandchildren of George Q. Cannon. During the weeks before she recovered I thought of that prayer, time and time and time again. Never before, and never since, have I ever heard those words, ''The adversary, the destroyer, has decreed your death and made public announcement of the same" (Pres. Heber J. Grant, The Juvenile Instructor, Vol 61, No 2, Feb 1926, pp 60-61).

"During this time of trouble with the elements, and sea sickness, the powers of the evil one were manifested in the case of a lad named Mackenzie, about twelve years of age, who in the dead hour of night came leaping from his bunk, shouting at the top of his voice the name of John McNeil; it soon became apparent that he was possessed of an evil spirit, which was so enraged that for hours the brethren labored to exorcise him; but this proved effectual only for a short time, as the evil one returned bringing others of his companions with him and again entered into the lad. This was repeated several times, until there were seven of them who called themselves legion and bid defiance to all who were on the ship, declaring that they would be subject to no one but Brigham Young. They also threatened to follow the Saints until they should reach the mountains. During the administrations of the brethren, the spirit of the Lord was so visibly manifest, that the discernment of spirits was given to Elder Thomas Smith so plainly that he could see them, and he demanded of them in the name of Jesus Christ, that they should tell their names. With this request they complied very reluctantly, but finally yielded, and one by one obeyed and were exorcised. The seventh and last one was finally cast out. This left the poor boy in a very feeble state, and for several days his life was in jeopardy. At times, when the evil spirits were expelled from the boy, they would afflict others, though not to such an extent as the main object of their power. On one occasion the writer and two of his immediate friends, were overcome by this power. True to their threats, as I afterwards learned, they followed in the wake of the Saints, their special object of hatred being Elder Smith, whom they finally overcame, and in the town of St. Joseph, Missouri, the poor man succumbed to their dreadful power, while he was calling for help from the Elders of the Church, of whom there were none to be reached in time to save his life. President William Howell also died in great distress at Council Bluffs the following year after our arrival in the United States" (The Contributor, Vol 13, No. 8, June 1892, p 346).

"Satan exerts a mastery over the spirits that have been corrupted by his practices; he is the foremost of the angels who were thrust down, and the instigator of the ruin of those who fall in this life; he seeks to molest and hinder mankind in good efforts, by tempting to sin; it may be by imposing sickness or possibly death. Yet in all these malignant doings, he can go no farther than the transgressions of the victim may enable him, or the wisdom of God may permit him to go, and he may at any time be checked by the superior power" (Elder James E. Talmage, The Articles of Faith: A Series of Lectures, pp 65-66).

Am I reading this correctly? Elder Smith, the same who so valiantly cast out “legion”, was overcome by the evil spirits and they took his life because he couldn’t get another priesthood holder in time? I can believe that evil spirits can have that amount of power over someone who gives it to them, but a faithful person who was able to cast out spirits is suddenly killed by them?

Rumpelstiltskin
captain of 1,000

adocrawford wrote: August 26th, 2022, 12:08 am
Rumpelstiltskin wrote: August 25th, 2022, 11:56 pm

Am I reading this correctly? Elder Smith, the same who so valiantly cast out “legion”, was overcome by the evil spirits and they took his life because he couldn’t get another priesthood holder in time? I can believe that evil spirits can have that amount of power over someone who gives it to them, but a faithful person who was able to cast out spirits is suddenly killed by them?
The power and abilities of the Devil are always underestimated and misunderstood by 99.5% of people. "With evil spirits, Joseph Smith taught that 'one great evil is, that men are ignorant of the nature of [evil] spirits; their power,…government, [and] intelligence…, the laws by which they are governed, and the signs by which they may be known…,' and 'that they possess a power that none but those who have the Priesthood can control…" (Possession by Devils and Unclean Spirits, p 3). Almost without exception, most people discount the abilities of evil spirits and attribute their activities to the workings of the world or just plain evil people. That couldn't be farther from the truth.

"I name this because there is a principle in it. From the day that the Prophet Joseph Smith was called upon by the angel of God and the plates of the Book of Mormon given into his hands, these evil spirits labored for his death, and finally his blood was shed by the power of the devil. You know about that. It is before the heavens and the earth, and has got to be settled for. Those spirits are wherever the Saints of God are, and they will follow this up until He who holds the keys of death and hell binds that old serpent, sets a seal upon him, and shuts him up for a thousand years. These evil spirits are all around us. They follow every Elder of Israel at home and abroad. They tempt me; they tempt you, and will as long as we dwell in the flesh and they have their agency and power. Why? Because they know the Priesthood is here; the know the power of God is here; they know the authority is here to seal blessings upon the heads of the children of men, and to preach the Gospel to the nations of the earth, that they may be prepared for the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ. Knowing this, if they can get any power over you and me they will exercise it" (Wilford Woodruff, General Conference held October 9, 1887).

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

DJB wrote: August 24th, 2022, 5:06 am

What do our dreams mean?

8-)

There were preceding events that taught me a pattern, now made obvious for all at march8miracle.org. The pattern has been made plain, and it indeed points to Christ/Cris/GGS in most peculiar ways. 8-)

DJB
captain of 100

Post by DJB »

BeNotDeceived wrote: August 26th, 2022, 3:56 am
DJB wrote: August 24th, 2022, 5:06 am
Ok 👍

8-)

There were preceding events that taught me a pattern, now made obvious for all at march8miracle.org. The pattern has been made plain, and it indeed points to Christ/Cris/GGS in most peculiar ways. 8-)