Wheat and Tares

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
scottja
captain of 100

Wheat and Tares

Post by scottja »

I ran across this and felt the need to share.
It gives one to ponder about Wheat and Tares.
Prophetic

Neal A. Maxwell

“Church members will live in this wheat-and-tares situation until the Millennium. Some real tares even masquerade as wheat, including the few eager individuals who lecture the rest of us about Church doctrines in which they no longer believe. They criticize the use of Church resources to which they no longer contribute. They condescendingly seek to counsel the Brethren whom they no longer sustain. Confrontive, except of themselves, of course, they leave the Church, but they cannot leave the Church alone.”
“Becometh As a Child” — May 1996

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Re: Wheat and Tares

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

From a man with no scriptural fruits.

He was a smart man... So I wonder how he was able to justify calling himself a prophet, seer, and revelator while having no fruits of a prophet.

All I see is the pot calling the kettle black. Maybe he was one of the tares all along?

NowWhat
captain of 100

Post by NowWhat »

Um. Elder Maxwell, How about those who haven't left the Church, but disapprove of the uses of our tithing and other income (vax, shopping malls, "stipends" for our "unpaid lay clergy," etc.) or who would love to take issue with dozens--hundreds--of issues and changes that are maddening, absurd or unChristlike?

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

I am a tare, according to Maxwell, but I want to move on.

I told my wife that if anyone at church asks where I am, just tell them that I am waiting on the Lord.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

He’s entitled to his opinion and that quote applies to me. This is from 96. There was a conservative purge in the LDS church in the 90s

I respect his view that he thinks I’m apostate. I think his claims of titles are blasphemous.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

scottja wrote: August 20th, 2022, 4:48 pm "They leave the Church, but they cannot leave the Church alone.”
Maybe it's because a lot of these people devoted their entire lives to it and built their families, their livelihoods and even their identities around it. Then they find out it was all for naught. Kind of hard to just drop it all and walk away as if nothing happened.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

"Some real tares even masquerade as wheat."

What an empty statement, the entire point of tares is that they look like wheat.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

scottja wrote: August 20th, 2022, 4:48 pm I ran across this and felt the need to share.
Prophetic

Neal A. Maxwell

“Church members will live in this wheat-and-tares situation until the Millennium. Some real tares even masquerade as wheat, including the few eager individuals who lecture the rest of us about Church doctrines in which they no longer believe. They criticize the use of Church resources to which they no longer contribute. They condescendingly seek to counsel the Brethren whom they no longer sustain. Confrontive, except of themselves, of course, they leave the Church, but they cannot leave the Church alone.”
I was under the impression that Zion will be separated from the tares before the millennium?

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

My ministering sister last year in relief society said that I was a tare. She didn't name me specifically, but she was talking about those who didn't want to get the vaccine even after RMN urged us to. What can you do?

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Does seem to apply to some on LDS FF. Some of these bug me too, not the comments but the hypocrisy. While most truly wish to discuss topics and doctrine, I laugh when non-LDS put down LDS, or non-Americans put down America, or non-tithe payers put down how church uses tithing, etc.... mostly they say they must spread their new truth. Which is same as leaving but not leaving alone.

So, you can either say this is good or bad. PLEASE note I am NOT attempting to take a stand with this comment, but simply to say that is applies very, very directly for good or for bad.

BTW I met him a couple of times and really felt his spirit. He taught many good and truthful things that helped me a lot Also, he is the one who led the reversal to Gileadi's ill intended exing (definitely good fruits IMO for those asking or claiming lack thereof).

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Post by TwochurchesOnly »

Original_Intent wrote: August 20th, 2022, 6:52 pm "Some real tares even masquerade as wheat."

What an empty statement, the entire point of tares is that they look like wheat.
😃😆🥸

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Post by TwochurchesOnly »

Wolfwoman wrote: August 22nd, 2022, 9:04 pm My ministering sister last year in relief society said that I was a tare. She didn't name me specifically, but she was talking about those who didn't want to get the vaccine even after RMN urged us to. What can you do?
Crazy!!!
I wish I'd been there😎

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

scottja wrote: August 20th, 2022, 4:48 pm I ran across this and felt the need to share.
Prophetic

Neal A. Maxwell

The Tares not only masquerade as Wheat.

They falsely believe they are the Wheat.

And are patiently waiting to be harvested.

Content to sit back and grow.

They point to their vibrant shade of green.

And say.

Are we not beautiful?

Surely the Lord supports our efforts.

Pointing to the stunted Wheat who lack sunlight and nutrients.

They ask.

Why are you not thriving?

Have you some Sin that you are hiding?

Is your Faith weak?

Repent.

And you can be Wheat too.

The Whole World can be Wheat.

Everybody Wheat.

That's Gods plan.

Just believe.

No.

Sir H