Sub-forum / category listings reorganized on main page

How can we improve the forum? Need help with something on the forum?
creator
(of the Forum)

Sub-forum / category listings reorganized on main page

Post by creator »

I know most people go to "Latest Posts" to look for discussions to participate in, but I did change the structure of how the categories are listed on the main page: https://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/

Some things were combined into other categories/sub-forums (especially some of the less used sub-forums).

I am open to other suggestions of how to organize and structure the listed categories/sub-forums.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Sub-forum / category listings reorganized on main page

Post by endlessQuestions »

I would love to see a new space where people who are dedicated to utilizing logic and reason to glean intelligence from information can escape from some of the name calling, complaining, etc.

I love what we have, though, as well, and will be happy to continue as is.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

endlessismyname wrote: ↑February 10th, 2022, 1:57 pm I would love to see a new space where people who are dedicated to utilizing logic and reason to glean intelligence from information can escape from some of the name calling, complaining, etc.

I love what we have, though, as well, and will be happy to continue as is.
There are a few private sub-forums that do that somewhat. The Heretic Sub-Forum for example. There are some people who have been removed from that one "who are not tolerant of unorthodoxical discussions."

Jashon
captain of 100

Post by Jashon »

It's much improved, thank you. Under gen'l discussions, however, you probably want to subordinate the top two subforums somehow. Maybe shorten the number of general topics to 10 on the first page, and put the two subforums below that. If that doesn't work, you might extract those two from gen'l and put them on their own one level higher.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Hey, Brian. Would you please create a polygamy subforum for the people who enjoy beating a dead horse? There are countless polygamy threads out there and it doesn't seem to slow down. Move all the polygamy threads to that subforum, too, please.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

I agree that there are too many polygamy threads, but it seems weird to create a sub-forum for just one topic like that. πŸ€”

Perhaps a sub-sub-forum that's within one of the existing categories (so it's not listed on the home page). But the polygamy threads would still show up in "Latest Posts", which seems to be how most people keep up on threads. So, what difference would it really make to categorize polygamy threads differently? I'm all ears. I could merge polygamy threads into one giant thread, unless it's truly a unique take on the topic.

Any other thoughts on a solution?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

creator wrote: ↑August 17th, 2022, 9:58 pm I agree that there are too many polygamy threads, but it seems weird to create a sub-forum for just one topic like that. πŸ€”

Perhaps a sub-sub-forum that's within one of the existing categories (so it's not listed on the home page). But the polygamy threads would still show up in "Latest Posts", which seems to be how most people keep up on threads.

I don't think it's weird at all. No more weird than having a Secret Combinations subforum.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Another thought would be to merge all future polygamy topics into a single thread so that new multiple posts would become a single thread. That should clean it up a bit.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

creator wrote: ↑August 17th, 2022, 9:58 pm I agree that there are too many polygamy threads, but it seems weird to create a sub-forum for just one topic like that. πŸ€”

Perhaps a sub-sub-forum that's within one of the existing categories (so it's not listed on the home page). But the polygamy threads would still show up in "Latest Posts", which seems to be how most people keep up on threads. So, what difference would it really make to categorize polygamy threads differently? I'm all ears. I could merge polygamy threads into one giant thread, unless it's truly a unique take on the topic.

I'd just let it be. It's one of the main reasons people come to your forum. And it would just appear in the Latest Post like you said

As long as the title let's people know it's about polygamy.... I don't see what else you can do.
Nobody is forced to read a polygamy thread.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Merge.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

marc wrote: ↑August 17th, 2022, 10:03 pmI don't think it's weird at all. No more weird than having a Secret Combinations subforum.
It could cause even more polygamy discussion to happen. Unintended consequences?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

creator wrote: ↑August 17th, 2022, 10:25 pm
marc wrote: ↑August 17th, 2022, 10:03 pmI don't think it's weird at all. No more weird than having a Secret Combinations subforum.
It could cause even more polygamy discussion to happen. Unintended consequences?
Haha, infinity plus one is still infinity. :lol: :lol: :lol:

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

marc wrote: ↑August 17th, 2022, 10:38 pmHaha, infinity plus one is still infinity. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Where are you finding all of these alleged infinite polygamy threads? Currently when I click on Latest Posts there is only ONE polygamy thread.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

creator wrote: ↑August 18th, 2022, 8:45 pm
marc wrote: ↑August 17th, 2022, 10:38 pmHaha, infinity plus one is still infinity. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Where are you finding all of these alleged infinite polygamy threads? Currently when I click on Latest Posts there is only ONE polygamy thread.
You missed the other one with Shawn Henry demanding his concubines. There's your plus one.