True Faith Shall Bring Unity And Eternal Life/The True Servants Shall Return

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
CaptainM
captain of 100

True Faith Shall Bring Unity And Eternal Life/The True Servants Shall Return

Post by CaptainM »

And this is the reason that men, as soon as they lose their faith, run into strifes, contentions, darkness, and difficulties; for the knowledge which tends to life disappears with faith, but returns when faith returns; for when faith comes it brings its train of attendants with it -- apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, teachers, gifts, wisdom, knowledge, miracles, healings, tongues, interpretation of tongues, etc. All these appear when faith appears on the earth, and disappear when it disappears from the earth; for these are the effects of faith, and always have attended, and always will, attend it. For where faith is, there will the knowledge of God be also, with all things which pertain thereto -- revelations, visions, and dreams, as well as every necessary thing, in order that the possessors of faith may be perfected, and obtain salvation; for God must change, otherwise faith will prevail with him. And he who possesses it will, through it, obtain all necessary knowledge and wisdom, until he shall know God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, whom He has sent -- whom to know is eternal life. Amen. [Lectures On Faith 7:20]

Best wishes to all…

creator
(of the Forum)

Re: True Faith Shall Bring Unity And Eternal Life/The True Servants Shall Return

Post by creator »

Thanks for sharing these insights. I really like the Lectures on Faith. I find it unfortunate that they were removed from the LDS canon of scriptures, which means much less people are aware of and reading it.

In regards to the statement "for God must change, otherwise faith will prevail with him", I wonder if it is meant in light of the fact that the way mankind, over time, perceives and experiences God necessarily changes over time. Thus religion and the manifestations of God must adapt to that.

CaptainM
captain of 100

Re: True Faith Shall Bring Unity And Eternal Life/The True Servants Shall Return

Post by CaptainM »

Thank you for your insights. My understanding is that expressed in the BOM and D&C:

19  And if there were miracles wrought then, why has God ceased to be a God of miracles and yet be an unchangeable Being?  And behold, I say unto you he changeth not; if so he would cease to be God; and he ceaseth not to be God, and is a God of miracles.
20  And the reason why he ceaseth to do miracles among the children of men is because that they dwindle in unbelief, and depart from the right way, and know not the God in whom they should trust.
21  Behold, I say unto you that whoso believeth in Christ, doubting nothing, whatsoever he shall ask the Father in the name of Christ it shall be granted him; and this promise is unto all, even unto the ends of the earth. (Mormon 9)

and…

17  By these things we know that there is a God in heaven, who is infinite and eternal, from everlasting to everlasting the same unchangeable God, the framer of heaven and earth, and all things which are in them; (D&C 20)

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

That's the old faith. Elder Bednar teaches of a new faith, a faith so great no signs will follow.

NummyMilkBottle
captain of 10

Post by NummyMilkBottle »

Shawn Henry wrote: August 17th, 2022, 2:16 pm That's the old faith. Elder Bednar teaches of a new faith, a faith so great no signs will follow.
No signs eh? Do you have a reference to where Bednar might have said that?

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

creator wrote: August 17th, 2022, 11:25 am Thanks for sharing these insights. I really like the Lectures on Faith. I find it unfortunate that they were removed from the LDS canon of scriptures, which means much less people are aware of and reading it.

In regards to the statement "for God must change, otherwise faith will prevail with him", I wonder if it is meant in light of the fact that the way mankind, over time, perceives and experiences God necessarily changes over time. Thus religion and the manifestations of God must adapt to that.
Stuff at march8miracle.org wasn’t possible before the advent of digital cameras and earthquake recording equipment.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

NummyMilkBottle wrote: August 17th, 2022, 11:57 pm
Shawn Henry wrote: August 17th, 2022, 2:16 pm That's the old faith. Elder Bednar teaches of a new faith, a faith so great no signs will follow.
No signs eh? Do you have a reference to where Bednar might have said that?
He didn't say that specifically. I was simply referencing his teaching of having faith to not be healed. I think that is a horrible doctrine that should never be taught. It is completely antithetical to what the scriptures teach. The scriptures specifically teach the reason we don't get healed is because we don't believe.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Many people of faith are never healed, most even die, your statement is as inaccurate as Bednar’s

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

TheDuke wrote: August 21st, 2022, 2:34 pm Many people of faith are never healed, most even die, your statement is as inaccurate as Bednar’s
I didn't mean it individualistically. I meant it as a collective 'we'. The reason we, as a people, don't experience more healing is our collective unbelief. Of course, many of us have sufficient faith on our own and I agree there are times when we are not meant to be healed, but collectively, a lack of faith as a people is what prevents these signs happening among us.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

"And the reason why he ceaseth to do miracles among the children of men is because that they dwindle in unbelief, and depart from the right way, and know not the God in whom they should trust."
Last edited by Shawn Henry on August 21st, 2022, 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

Shawn Henry wrote: August 21st, 2022, 3:15 pm
TheDuke wrote: August 21st, 2022, 2:34 pm Many people of faith are never healed, most even die, your statement is as inaccurate as Bednar’s
I didn't mean it individualistically. I meant it as a collective 'we'. The reason we, as a people, don't experience more healing is our collective unbelief. Of course, many of us have sufficient faith on our own and I agree there are times when we are not meant to be healed, but collectively, a lack of faith as a people is what prevents these signs happening among us.
I figured your comment on Bednar was sarcastic. I now let people know when I’m sarcastic because it’s hard to be sure on text 😂