Pro or anti, I think this is the most concise and well-put flat earth theory argument I've seen

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Pro or anti, I think this is the most concise and well-put flat earth theory argument I've seen

Post by BuriedTartaria »

I'm neutral on this but I respect both perspectives. I could see the truth being a mix of both beliefs. I think this is a fantastic summary of the flat earth argument response to the "why would they lie about this?" appeal to reason argument that global normies (I kid :p) use.

Moses 7: 26
And he beheld Satan; and he had a great chain in his hand, and it veiled the whole face of the earth with darkness; and he looked up and laughed, and his angels rejoiced.

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Re: Pro or anti, I think this is the most concise and well-put flat earth theory argument I've seen

Post by Jonesy »

I gave flat earth a try, but came out unconvinced. I’m more open to believe that maybe we haven’t been to the moon or something. I do believe there’s more truth for hollow earth or similar as well.

My line of thinking doesn’t fit with the points made in the OP, though. I think that because earth is a globe means there is a God. God is no respecter of persons and is the same. I would expect God to make our planet similar as those around us. We aren’t special, but because God is merciful He seeks to save all of His creations. I think Satan’s big deception is largely dealing with the system of Babylon.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Re: Pro or anti, I think this is the most concise and well-put flat earth theory argument I've seen

Post by Subcomandante »

BuriedTartaria wrote: July 21st, 2022, 9:57 pm I'm neutral on this but I respect both perspectives. I could see the truth being a mix of both beliefs. I think this is a fantastic summary of the flat earth argument response to the "why would they lie about this?" appeal to reason argument that global normies (I kid :p) use.

And he beheld Satan; and he had a great chain in his hand, and it veiled the whole face of the earth with darkness; and he looked up and laughed, and his angels rejoiced.
Flat earth is perhaps the most ridiculous postulation that I have ever seen. Simple observations prove that the earth is a globe. This has been known for well over 2,000 years. The Book of Mormon prophets likewise knew it (and the fact that the earth orbited around the sun).

Pretty much every single "scientific" argument in favor of flat-earth theory has been debunked a thousand times over.

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Post by gradles21 »

BuriedTartaria wrote: July 21st, 2022, 9:57 pm I'm neutral on this but I respect both perspectives. I could see the truth being a mix of both beliefs. I think this is a fantastic summary of the flat earth argument response to the "why would they lie about this?" appeal to reason argument that global normies (I kid :p) use.

Trust me when I say it's not worth starting another thread on this topic, It will go nowhere. You'll get nothing but comments like Sub's above, or comments like "jump up in the air, did you fall down? There's your proof of gravity." It's just not worth it my friend.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Subcomandante wrote: July 21st, 2022, 10:28 pm

Flat earth is perhaps the most ridiculous postulation that I have ever seen. Simple observations prove that the earth is a globe. This has been known for well over 2,000 years. The Book of Mormon prophets likewise knew it (and the fact that the earth orbited around the sun).

Pretty much every single "scientific" argument in favor of flat-earth theory has been debunked a thousand times over.
I'm no flat earther, but your claim about "every single scientific argument" being debunked is quite simply wrong.
There are indeed a number of arguments which apply science to flat earth theory that appear to demonstrate that the earth is a flat plane.
You may not believe the earth is flat (neither do I) but your statement is ridiculous.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Robin Hood wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 4:52 am

I'm no flat earther, but your claim about "every single scientific argument" being debunked is quite simply wrong.
There are indeed a number of arguments which apply science to flat earth theory that appear to demonstrate that the earth is a flat plane.
You may not believe the earth is flat (neither do I) but your statement is ridiculous.
Which arguments are those?

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Subcomandante wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 6:23 am

Eg. Laser across Lake Michigan. And don't give me that nonsense about light bending over the water... 'cause that ain't science.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Robin Hood wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 7:43 am

Eg. Laser across Lake Michigan. And don't give me that nonsense about light bending over the water... 'cause that ain't science.
You can point a laser from St Joseph MI and still have it hit the top of Chicago's skyscrapers. That is perfect science.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Subcomandante wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 7:57 am

You can point a laser from St Joseph MI and still have it hit the top of Chicago's skyscrapers. That is perfect science.
There is also that thing where it is claimed that boats disappearing over the horizon is proof of curvature.

But upon using a telescope, binoculars, or a camera, you can still see the boat, demonstrating that you can see over what is being touted as the “curvature”.

I’m not a “flat earther”, but this is interesting nonetheless.

Sirius
captain of 100

Post by Sirius »

Except it's not.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Sirius wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 11:37 am

Except it's not.
Mathematically, it is perfect.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Subcomandante wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 12:13 pm

Except it's not.
Are you claiming to be a mathematician now?

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

A Flat Earth in itself doesn't disprove the Big Bang, evolution or alien seeding automatically. If you take evolution as a matter of mutation and selection then that could take place on a Flat Earth as much as a round one. As for alien seeding, it doesn't follow that the skies would be impenetrable if the Earth were flat either. As for Big Bang, one could probably come up with a workaround for that too.

The idea of Flat Earth was prevalent among many pagan cultures, and still is among more primitive ones, so that doesn't wash either.

NB - I'm not a Flat Earther but I don't buy evolution as promoted by mainstream science.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Robin Hood wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 2:26 pm

Except it's not.
One with a degree? No. One capable of making that type of calculation that is seen in high school in trigonometry? Most definitely, yes.

Alexander
the Great
Location: amongst the brotherhood of the Black Robed Regiment; cocked hat and cocked rifle

Post by Alexander »

[image]

Thank God we have Alma 30:44, Helaman 12:14-15, and D&C 88:45.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Subcomandante wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 9:44 pm

Except it's not.
One with a degree? No. One capable of making that type of calculation that is seen in high school in trigonometry? Most definitely, yes.
So not a mathematician then.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

blitzinstripes wrote: July 22nd, 2022, 5:28 pm https://birdsarentreal.com/
Ah yes, poultrygate. But that is a spoof.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Robin Hood wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 12:49 am

If you are talking about degrees in math? No. Am I skilled at math? Most definitely yes. Flat Earthers use the wrong set of equations assuming that the curve of the earth is parabolic, when they should be using trigonometric equations to show the earth having a spherical curve.

Specifically you have H = R - R cos(S/2R)

where H refers to the visible height of something, R is the radius of the object you are on, and S is the arc length.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Subcomandante wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 7:59 am

If you are talking about degrees in math? No. Am I skilled at math? Most definitely yes. Flat Earthers use the wrong set of equations assuming that the curve of the earth is parabolic, when they should be using trigonometric equations to show the earth having a spherical curve.

where H refers to the visible height of something, R is the radius of the object you are on, and S is the arc length.
In other words, you're not a mathematician but you think you are.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Robin Hood wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 8:33 am
Subcomandante wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 7:59 am

In other words, you're not a mathematician but you think you are.
I'm very good at math. My office is not that of a mathmetician. But a high schooler would be able to prove that the earth is a globe beyond a reasonable doubt by using maths.

Airplane flights are another proof that the earth is a globe.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Subcomandante wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 8:53 am
How so?

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Robin Hood wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 9:26 am
Subcomandante wrote: July 23rd, 2022, 8:53 am
How so?
The Southern hemisphere flights from SCL-SYD and SYD-JHB clip Antarctica.

sandman45
captain of 1,000

Post by sandman45 »

This is how I explained it to my dad. It makes perfect sense.

sandman45
captain of 1,000

Post by sandman45 »

😆 that’s what I said. Then I did the research for myself instead of just listening to what “scientist” tell me. Yea never going back to believing the globe lie.

Blows my mind how mankind has been blinded by Satan and NASA etc.

Once you go flat you never go back.