"... expected total to closer to 2 trillion(galaxies)" in our neighborhood-Worlds without end!

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

"... expected total to closer to 2 trillion(galaxies)" in our neighborhood-Worlds without end!

Post by kirtland r.m. »

While God is able to comprehend and govern all things, we mortals struggle to comprehend even the most rudimentary of His works. And yet, we are blessed to live in the fulness of times “in the which nothing shall be withheld. …

“… If there be bounds set to the heavens or to the seas, or to the dry land, or to the sun, moon, or stars—

“All the times of their revolutions, all the appointed days, months, and years, and … all their glories, laws, and set times, shall be revealed in the days of the dispensation of the fulness of times” (D&C 121:28, 30–31).

That promised knowledge is being revealed to us by faith, foremost in the revelations of the Prophet Joseph Smith. It is also coming to us by study. (See D&C 88:118.) Astronomers, with the aid of powerful instruments, are helping us glimpse the extent of God’s dominions. While astrophysics in the future will surely be modified as more is learned of the universe, what we have learned so far is mind-boggling. And if anything is true of the research done over the past several decades, it is that the more we learn, the more incredible our view of God’s creations becomes.https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... r?lang=eng

If you take the deepest image ever created of the distant Universe, the Hubble extreme Deep Field, and extrapolate over the whole sky, you'd estimate there were ~170 billion galaxies in the observable Universe. A detailed theoretical simulation predicted far more faint, small galaxies than we've seen, upping the expected total to closer to 2 trillion. But recent observational evidence shows that even that estimate is far too low. Instead, there are between 6 and 20 trillion galaxies out there. Carl Sagan's "billions and billions" was far too low of a guess. https://bigthink.com/starts-with-a-bang ... -universe/

“I am the Lord God Almighty, and Endless is my name. …“And worlds without number have I created; … and by the Son I created them, which is mine Only Begotten” (Moses 1:3, 33).