why a snake?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Re: why a snake?

Post by MikeMaillet »

Alexander wrote: May 14th, 2022, 11:47 am
seeker of knowledge wrote: May 27th, 2015, 6:14 pm I've been wondering this for a long time, why did Satan choose the snake to temp Eve? out of all the other animals.
It was a Seraph/serpent which tempted Eve and gave her forbidden knowledge; an angel of light, burning one, or messenger.
This is how I see it as well.

Mike Maillet
Ingleside, Ontario

Hosh
captain of 100

Post by Hosh »

Could have some symbolism pointing towards his status before he fell among the ranks of Seraphim. Seraph and serpant are often synonymous. I don't know just speculation.

Lynn
captain of 100

Post by Lynn »

There are two symbolics implied by the serpent aka what we refer to as snakes. One is on its belly, the other is raised. Because it signifies two things. Raised indicates good or higher wisdom. Check this out in Egyptian understanding. In case you forget, Moses attached the Nachash (raised serpent) upon his staff. It also indicates healing. Yes, it was in similitude of Christ being raised upon the cross. Nachash & Messiah have the same numerical value as to the Hebrew letters in Gematria (an understanding of the Kabbalah). Just as the Hebrew words for Mystery & Light have the same numerical, so you can also read that "Let There Be Light" can also bring in more meaning as "Let There Be Mystery", in so that in the future all Light and/or Muystery will be revealed. But with the serpent not raised, it implies the lower self or physical only, without the true purpose inherent or tapped.

Lynn
captain of 100

Post by Lynn »

OOPS! Duplicate
Last edited by Lynn on May 14th, 2022, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Post by darknesstolight »

Think of what a serpent makes you do. Think of how the serpent makes you act.

IF you were in a world together with a creature that bites you and hurts you but it also poisons you and kills you painfully you will BE different than if you exist in a world without such a creature.

"Danger and the unknown" cause you to BECOME aware, eyes open, ears pricked, on the ready, prepared, or else you and all your kind die painful deaths.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Snakes are Death eaters. Take it from there.

Valheim
captain of 50

Post by Valheim »

reminds me of the dragon in revelations

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Snakes are Dinosaurs without legs. ;)

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Valheim wrote: May 15th, 2022, 2:41 am reminds me of the dragon in revelations
Revelation refers back to it.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

BeNotDeceived wrote: May 15th, 2022, 3:03 am Snakes are Dinosaurs without legs. ;)

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Niemand wrote: May 14th, 2022, 12:50 pm Snakes do perform a useful role in nature. They keep the numbers of rats and mice down, for example.

There are a number of ideas as to why a snake. Some people say that it is a male symbol, some the kundalini energy wrapped around the spine (as the Hindus think), others for the simple reason that snakes and trees have a long association.

The World Health Organisation uses a snake as its logo. There is a Greek mythological background to this, but it is an odd choice for a medical symbol in the modern age.

A snake may only eat one mouse in an entire month. Mice easily out produce snakes.

When I bought my place, I had millions of chipmunks and mice which thrived on the pine nuts. The few snakes had no significant impact on the rodent population. I brought in a dozen cats which multiplied. Within just a couple or 3 years, there was nary a rodent to be found. Cats are natural born killers. They do it for fun. They do not always eat their prey. They eat snakes and rodents.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

For me, the big thing about a snake is that it has venom that can cause you to have a seizure if said venom makes it all the way to your brain. Think of being offered a proposition you never thought of before, and that causes your whole paradigm to fall apart. Being confronted with such a proposition is enough to make you have a seizure and lose consciousness. I think that is why a snake is used as the symbol for temptation.

However; Paul taught us that if we have faith in God, then even the poison of a serpent cannot harm us. Think about it.... the snake's venom, Satan's venom in the garden, had a purpose. By introducing the concept of opposites, the purpose of Satan's temptation was to cause Eve to lose faith in God. And; subsequently Adam's faith in God... no more so than the temptation to believe he could no longer trust God because God had sent him a wife that had fallen; and therefore;; He could no longer trust neither God nor his wife that God himself had created to be a helpmeet for him!

Perhaps ever since then, mankind has been battling whether or not we trust in the goodness of God; especially in a world where God's goodness is not evident. Think of how much faith Jesus Christ had to have during a time where He felt totally abandoned by God. The paradigm concept that God may not love us unconditionally is enough venom to potentially cause any angel to fall. We must learn to trust in the goodness of God and overcome such temptation.

When the devil tempted Jesus... I like to think the three temptations from Satan to Jesus were to test the nature of the son, the wife, and the husband. Since the son has to do with rights and inheritances, the wife has to do with love, and the husband has to do with power.

The first temptation was for Jesus to misuse His power in disobedience to God, given to Him as His right because he was the Son of God. The second temptation was to test God's love. This would have been the same type of temptation Eve was tempted with --the concept of unconditional love -- does God really love me? If God really loves me unconditionally, then if I break His commandments he must continue to love me or He ceases to be God --- the failure in that particular reasoning being that though God loves us unconditionally, we should not purposely test that love and thereby cause self and God to suffer!

And the third temptation would be the one that appeals to the husband Adam---one of power -- if you worship the devil, look at all the powers and kingdoms of the world you can have! The failure in that reasoning being no true power comes but through our Creator!

Therefore, the concept of a son being tempted to misuse his power to disobey God's will, the mother being tempted to test God's love, and the father being tempted to receive power outside of God's authority ...these are the temptations mankind often falls to today.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Fred wrote: May 28th, 2022, 12:11 pm
Niemand wrote: May 14th, 2022, 12:50 pm Snakes do perform a useful role in nature. They keep the numbers of rats and mice down, for example.

There are a number of ideas as to why a snake. Some people say that it is a male symbol, some the kundalini energy wrapped around the spine (as the Hindus think), others for the simple reason that snakes and trees have a long association.

The World Health Organisation uses a snake as its logo. There is a Greek mythological background to this, but it is an odd choice for a medical symbol in the modern age.

A snake may only eat one mouse in an entire month. Mice easily out produce snakes.

When I bought my place, I had millions of chipmunks and mice which thrived on the pine nuts. The few snakes had no significant impact on the rodent population. I brought in a dozen cats which multiplied. Within just a couple or 3 years, there was nary a rodent to be found. Cats are natural born killers. They do it for fun. They do not always eat their prey. They eat snakes and rodents.
Cats are preferable to snakes for sure. But I know in India that some people tolerate large snakes because they do keep rodents down. Less efficiently than cats of course.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

FrankOne wrote: July 1st, 2022, 4:41 pmThen there is the idea that Yaldobaoth is also known as Jehovah. I've never been able to find anything yet that makes that correlation in ancient script. Perhaps others have?

The premise is that Satan and Lucifer are distinct entities. Satan was the serpent in the garden story, but Lucifer is a being with a very different intent and that is to force people to be good by removing free will. Satan is all about perversion and destruction and is now being used as a pawn by Lucifer to bring down all govts and organizations of the world before he steps in and rules the world with an iron fist .
Hey, Frank, I didn’t want to hijack the other thread, so I’m bringing this over here.

I hadn’t previously considered how distinct Satan & Lucifer may be - possibly the antithesis of Christ & God.

It is a fascinating, somewhat perplexing notion how God (&/or Christ) can seem contradictory. Maybe it’s something to do with “opposition in all things”/yin-yang. Either way, symbolic scripture is meant to be likened to us, so that’s good to keep in mind.

Here are some notes I gathered…

“…The New Testament authors just rewrote Satan into the Genesis account…

Satan is consistently portrayed as Leviathan-Nahash throughout Scripture….

…prior to this curse, the serpent was NOT crawling on its belly. This means the serpent had arms and legs. What do you call a serpent with arms and legs?? A DRAGON!

…war arose in heaven, Michael and his angels fighting against the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, but they were defeated and there was no longer any place for them in heaven. And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the Devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him. (Revelation 12:1-3,7-9)

…Jesus slays the Dragon that Adam failed to fight.

Adam & the Dragon is the ORIGIN of the Dragon Archetype. This is why knights slaying dragons became a motif in the story-telling of the entire the world and throughout all history…” https://www.thescottsmithblog.com/2018/ ... t.html?m=1

“Dragon
A complex symbol representing the unknown parts of the dreamers personality that is often very destructive. Unconscious feelings of anger, rage and hate are manifested as a dragon, the dreamers main goal is to search and kill it. What is the dragon in your life?” https://www.dreamdictionary.org/d/

“Introduced as "the most clever of all of the beasts of the field that YHWH God had made," the serpent in the Garden of Eden is portrayed as just that: a serpent. Satan does not make an appearance in Genesis 2-3, for the simple reason that when the story was written, the concept of the devil had not yet been invented…

The noun satan, Hebrew for “adversary” or “ACCUSER,” occurs nine times in the Hebrew Bible: five times to describe a human military, political or legal opponent, and four times with reference to a divine being…

In Job, “the satan” is a member of God’s heavenly council—one of the divine beings, whose role in Job’s story is to be an “accuser,” a status acquired by people in ancient Israel and Mesopotamia for the purposes of particular legal proceedings. In Job’s case, what’s on trial is God’s assertion that Job is completely “blameless and upright” vs. the satan’s contention that Job only behaves himself because God has rewarded him. God argues that Job is rewarded because he is good, and not good because he is rewarded. The satan challenges God to a wager that if everything is taken away from poor Job, he won’t be so good anymore, and God accepts…” https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/dai ... ame-satan/

“The serpent/dragon represents the saviour. Satan came as a serpent because he wanted to be the saviour and came as a mere imitation.” (Comment)

“Christ first had to become his Antichrist, his under worldly brother… Christ did not remain in Hell, but rose to the heights in the beyond. ~Carl Jung

“… in the darkest Middle Ages…. they spoke of the devil, today we call it a neurosis.”
Jung

Jung refers to the devil in several ways: as aspects of God, as a force in life, and as a psychological phenomenon. “The left hand of God,”“the left side of God,” the “other side of God,” “God’s own dark side,”Satanaël, God’s first son, the Antichrist, the figure opposed to Christ, and “the counterpart of Christ that represents evil” are some of the terms Jung used for the evil aspect of God. As a force in human life, the devil shows up as “the dark antagonist,” “the principle of evil” and the “ungodly intellect,” while, in psychological contexts Jung felt the devil was “… the diabolical aspect of every psychic function that has broken loose from the hierarchy of the total psyche and now enjoys independence and absolute power…,” “… the grotesque and sinister side of the unconscious…” and, on the collective level, “… the objective psyche that held all the peoples of the Roman Empire under its sway….”

“… By not being aware of having a shadow, you declare a part of your personality to be non-existent. Then it enters the kingdom of the non-existent, which swells up and takes on enormous proportions. When you don’t acknowledge that you have such qualities, you are simply feeding the devils. In medical language, each quality in the psyche represents a certain energic value, and if you declare an energic value to be non-existent, a devil appears instead….”

We need to recognize the shadow and the myriad forms this inner devil can take.
But this does not mean we want to identify with the devil because it is an archetype, and identifying with an archetype is very dangerous: “It causes exaggeration, a puffed-up attitude (inflation), loss of free will, delusion, and enthusiasm in good and evil alike….”. Rather we must “religiously bear in mind”
“the autonomy of this ambivalent figure… for it is the source of that fearful power which drives us toward individuation… We neither can nor should try to force this numinous being, at the risk of our own psychic destruction, into our narrow human mold, for it is greater than man’s consciousness and greater than his will.”

Jung regarded the Lucifer myth as a “therapeutic myth.” As a healing myth it fosters our coming to consciousness, in both positive and negative ways: via dream work, analysis, conscious work to become aware of our “inner city,” and via accidents, broken relationships, patterns of self-destructive behavior, and personal loss and turmoil—all of which are meant to be “wake up” calls for us to grow and change.
The devil within us provides us with initiative, the impetus to do things, to start things, to challenge the gods: Eve ate the apple, in the “fall that made us great.”

…the devil can be an agent provocateur, an intrusive, unwelcome, disturbing force that shakes us up, perhaps destroying long-cherished dreams (which we come to recognize in time really would not have served us), while also opening up new avenues of living.

…discern which conscience is operative at the moment…. “ https://jungiancenter.org/jung-devil-reality-evil/

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

Thinker wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 6:02 pm
FrankOne wrote: July 1st, 2022, 4:41 pmThen there is the idea that Yaldobaoth is also known as Jehovah. I've never been able to find anything yet that makes that correlation in ancient script. Perhaps others have?

The premise is that Satan and Lucifer are distinct entities. Satan was the serpent in the garden story, but Lucifer is a being with a very different intent and that is to force people to be good by removing free will. Satan is all about perversion and destruction and is now being used as a pawn by Lucifer to bring down all govts and organizations of the world before he steps in and rules the world with an iron fist .
Hey, Frank, I didn’t want to hijack the other thread, so I’m bringing this over here.

I hadn’t previously considered how distinct Satan & Lucifer may be - possibly the antithesis of Christ & God.

It is a fascinating, somewhat perplexing notion how God (&/or Christ) can seem contradictory. Maybe it’s something to do with “opposition in all things”/yin-yang. Either way, symbolic scripture is meant to be likened to us, so that’s good to keep in mind.

Here are some notes I gathered…

“…The New Testament authors just rewrote Satan into the Genesis account…

Satan is consistently portrayed as Leviathan-Nahash throughout Scripture….

…prior to this curse, the serpent was NOT crawling on its belly. This means the serpent had arms and legs. What do you call a serpent with arms and legs?? A DRAGON!

…war arose in heaven, Michael and his angels fighting against the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, but they were defeated and there was no longer any place for them in heaven. And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the Devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him. (Revelation 12:1-3,7-9)

…Jesus slays the Dragon that Adam failed to fight.

Adam & the Dragon is the ORIGIN of the Dragon Archetype. This is why knights slaying dragons became a motif in the story-telling of the entire the world and throughout all history…” https://www.thescottsmithblog.com/2018/ ... t.html?m=1

“Dragon
A complex symbol representing the unknown parts of the dreamers personality that is often very destructive. Unconscious feelings of anger, rage and hate are manifested as a dragon, the dreamers main goal is to search and kill it. What is the dragon in your life?” https://www.dreamdictionary.org/d/

“Introduced as "the most clever of all of the beasts of the field that YHWH God had made," the serpent in the Garden of Eden is portrayed as just that: a serpent. Satan does not make an appearance in Genesis 2-3, for the simple reason that when the story was written, the concept of the devil had not yet been invented…

The noun satan, Hebrew for “adversary” or “ACCUSER,” occurs nine times in the Hebrew Bible: five times to describe a human military, political or legal opponent, and four times with reference to a divine being…

In Job, “the satan” is a member of God’s heavenly council—one of the divine beings, whose role in Job’s story is to be an “accuser,” a status acquired by people in ancient Israel and Mesopotamia for the purposes of particular legal proceedings. In Job’s case, what’s on trial is God’s assertion that Job is completely “blameless and upright” vs. the satan’s contention that Job only behaves himself because God has rewarded him. God argues that Job is rewarded because he is good, and not good because he is rewarded. The satan challenges God to a wager that if everything is taken away from poor Job, he won’t be so good anymore, and God accepts…” https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/dai ... ame-satan/

“The serpent/dragon represents the saviour. Satan came as a serpent because he wanted to be the saviour and came as a mere imitation.” (Comment)

“Christ first had to become his Antichrist, his under worldly brother… Christ did not remain in Hell, but rose to the heights in the beyond. ~Carl Jung

“… in the darkest Middle Ages…. they spoke of the devil, today we call it a neurosis.”
Jung

Jung refers to the devil in several ways: as aspects of God, as a force in life, and as a psychological phenomenon. “The left hand of God,”“the left side of God,” the “other side of God,” “God’s own dark side,”Satanaël, God’s first son, the Antichrist, the figure opposed to Christ, and “the counterpart of Christ that represents evil” are some of the terms Jung used for the evil aspect of God. As a force in human life, the devil shows up as “the dark antagonist,” “the principle of evil” and the “ungodly intellect,” while, in psychological contexts Jung felt the devil was “… the diabolical aspect of every psychic function that has broken loose from the hierarchy of the total psyche and now enjoys independence and absolute power…,” “… the grotesque and sinister side of the unconscious…” and, on the collective level, “… the objective psyche that held all the peoples of the Roman Empire under its sway….”

“… By not being aware of having a shadow, you declare a part of your personality to be non-existent. Then it enters the kingdom of the non-existent, which swells up and takes on enormous proportions. When you don’t acknowledge that you have such qualities, you are simply feeding the devils. In medical language, each quality in the psyche represents a certain energic value, and if you declare an energic value to be non-existent, a devil appears instead….”

We need to recognize the shadow and the myriad forms this inner devil can take.
But this does not mean we want to identify with the devil because it is an archetype, and identifying with an archetype is very dangerous: “It causes exaggeration, a puffed-up attitude (inflation), loss of free will, delusion, and enthusiasm in good and evil alike….”. Rather we must “religiously bear in mind”
“the autonomy of this ambivalent figure… for it is the source of that fearful power which drives us toward individuation… We neither can nor should try to force this numinous being, at the risk of our own psychic destruction, into our narrow human mold, for it is greater than man’s consciousness and greater than his will.”

Jung regarded the Lucifer myth as a “therapeutic myth.” As a healing myth it fosters our coming to consciousness, in both positive and negative ways: via dream work, analysis, conscious work to become aware of our “inner city,” and via accidents, broken relationships, patterns of self-destructive behavior, and personal loss and turmoil—all of which are meant to be “wake up” calls for us to grow and change.
The devil within us provides us with initiative, the impetus to do things, to start things, to challenge the gods: Eve ate the apple, in the “fall that made us great.”

…the devil can be an agent provocateur, an intrusive, unwelcome, disturbing force that shakes us up, perhaps destroying long-cherished dreams (which we come to recognize in time really would not have served us), while also opening up new avenues of living.

…discern which conscience is operative at the moment…. “ https://jungiancenter.org/jung-devil-reality-evil/
I very much enjoy the perspective of Jung due to his brilliant manner of considering how we interpret the many facets of our existence and the cosmology of 'powers'. He does a great job of bringing everything back to the responsibility of the individual. Whether characters such as Satan or Lucifer actually exist is almost irrelevant because it's the idea of them that drives our motivations for "good" or "evil". I've never had a direct encounter with either, but I do tend to believe that they exist simply because "power" for both "good" and "evil" is represented by entities on all levels of existence in this temporal realm.

I see our existence as one of climbing to a great height , then figuring out how to let go of all the negative adherents to our experience while scaling back down to the point of origin. The negative adherents mainly being fear, vanity, condemnation, and guilt. Satan, Lucifer, YHVH, and Christ all being necessary for us to complete the round trip. All being divine creations as we are. This implying that the fall is a part of salvation as much as the atonement. The fall giving us an experience of separation and the at-one-ment bringing us back. The Father's plan was perfect before it ever started.

Time itself is likely less than a blink to the Father. The movie "Inception" comes to mind and how the closer to the 'real' we are, the faster time goes.

What is now happening on earth is a trend to fear for the body while safety and security become paramount. The desire for safety and security only magnifies fear. The body is nothing and fear can only pertain to bodies. The more fearful the individual, the more they do not recognize what they are, which is an immortal, indestructible soul.

well..it appears that I've digressed, lol.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

Edit: made a joke post. Decided against it.

thaabit
captain of 100

Post by thaabit »

seeker of knowledge wrote: May 27th, 2015, 6:14 pm I've been wondering this for a long time, why did Satan choose the snake to temp Eve? out of all the other animals.
The translation is serpent, not snake.

נחשׁ‎, nchsh ; h5172
From a primitive root
Mean properly to hiss, i.e. whisper a (magic) spell; generally to prognosticate
KJV × certainly, divine, enchanter, (use) × enchantment, learn by experience, × indeed, diligently observe
BDB 638c
(‎נ‎ ‎נחשׁ‎–‎נחשׁ‎ BDB)

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

It is easy to think of a snake as evil. They slither and hide, basically hard to spot... and their bad rep for striking out and killing. Yet, I appreciate the snakes that I have on our property. Without them I could be faced with rodents chewing through my pex plumbing, in search of water. I encourage them to hang around. This one (close to 4' in length) is often seen in the mornings coming out from under the house. It is easy to fear things that we do not understand.
Attachments
SNAKE.jpg
SNAKE.jpg (136.37 KiB) Viewed 448 times

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

FrankOne wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 8:49 pmI very much enjoy the perspective of Jung due to his brilliant manner of considering how we interpret the many facets of our existence and the cosmology of 'powers'. He does a great job of bringing everything back to the responsibility of the individual. Whether characters such as Satan or Lucifer actually exist is almost irrelevant because it's the idea of them that drives our motivations for "good" or "evil". I've never had a direct encounter with either, but I do tend to believe that they exist simply because "power" for both "good" and "evil" is represented by entities on all levels of existence in this temporal realm.

I see our existence as one of climbing to a great height , then figuring out how to let go of all the negative adherents to our experience while scaling back down to the point of origin. The negative adherents mainly being fear, vanity, condemnation, and guilt. Satan, Lucifer, YHVH, and Christ all being necessary for us to complete the round trip. All being divine creations as we are. This implying that the fall is a part of salvation as much as the atonement. The fall giving us an experience of separation and the at-one-ment bringing us back. The Father's plan was perfect before it ever started.

Time itself is likely less than a blink to the Father. The movie "Inception" comes to mind and how the closer to the 'real' we are, the faster time goes.

What is now happening on earth is a trend to fear for the body while safety and security become paramount. The desire for safety and security only magnifies fear. The body is nothing and fear can only pertain to bodies. The more fearful the individual, the more they do not recognize what they are, which is an immortal, indestructible soul.

Awesome!
Digress away - I often do! And there’s a lot to think about & explore. And so much is connected. Eg., Recently, I was painting - playing with colors I came up with an unusual color of purple… which served as a background, which I painted a daisy over it. A few hours later, I come across a woman with a shirt of that same strange purple color & a daisy. Serendipity, a little message indicating there’s more connected than apparent?

What you mentioned about, ”… climbing to a great height , then figuring out how to let go of all the negative adherents to our experience while scaling back down to the point of origin…” reminds me of survival shows… when unsure of which direction they want to travel & surrounded by jungle, they may climb up a tree to get a lay of the land… then descend the tree, knowing which way to go.

So true: “the fall is a part of salvation as much as the atonement.” Meat idea, not milk. I’m not sure how to digest it. They say, “thinking with integrity is paradoxical thinking.” God is both chaos & order… both needed to propel us forward.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

Thinker wrote: July 5th, 2022, 8:57 pm
FrankOne wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 8:49 pmI very much enjoy the perspective of Jung due to his brilliant manner of considering how we interpret the many facets of our existence and the cosmology of 'powers'. He does a great job of bringing everything back to the responsibility of the individual. Whether characters such as Satan or Lucifer actually exist is almost irrelevant because it's the idea of them that drives our motivations for "good" or "evil". I've never had a direct encounter with either, but I do tend to believe that they exist simply because "power" for both "good" and "evil" is represented by entities on all levels of existence in this temporal realm.

Awesome!
Digress away - I often do! And there’s a lot to think about & explore. And so much is connected. Eg., Recently, I was painting - playing with colors I came up with an unusual color of purple… which served as a background, which I painted a daisy over it. A few hours later, I come across a woman with a shirt of that same strange purple color & a daisy. Serendipity, a little message indicating there’s more connected than apparent?

What you mentioned about, ”… climbing to a great height , then figuring out how to let go of all the negative adherents to our experience while scaling back down to the point of origin…” reminds me of survival shows… when unsure of which direction they want to travel & surrounded by jungle, they may climb up a tree to get a lay of the land… then descend the tree, knowing which way to go.

So true: “the fall is a part of salvation as much as the atonement.” Meat idea, not milk. I’m not sure how to digest it. They say, “thinking with integrity is paradoxical thinking.” God is both chaos & order… both needed to propel us forward.
haha,loved that , "thinking with integrity is paradoxical". Absolutely. My perspective is that there are "Lords" or managers of planets such as this one, that are called by the masses "Gods". Their job is to teach the basics of good and evil and create order or to create enough structure for man to go out of ignorance and to move forward. <This is done by working with motivational tools such as fear, guilt and reward. As man progresses, he starts to take note of all of the contradictions such as "fear is not of God"...yet we are to "fear God". Or that Christ forgives all men that accept him, yet it is constantly reinforced that we need to fear judgment.

In comes chaos. The author of Chaos is , for me, the Father of all. The being that gives life to all men and 'Gods'. Chaos cannot be predicted nor manipulated by men or Gods. It's that chaos that is the wildcard which constantly steers all of Gods children back home, whether it be a 100 yrs or a billion. Chaos cannot be controlled at all and that is the saving grace of Christ. To be understood, "Chaos" as I am using the word, means "that which cannot be understood, used, predicted, or controlled by humans or Gods"

For me, chaos is what is always leading us back home and eventually becomes the only tool that we follow when we have reached our precipice of "being full". Once full, we have to pour back out everything negative. Buddha said it this way "I am as hollow bamboo". aka..."I have again become as a child".

It is said in scripture that we cannot enter heaven unless we are as little children. Yet , this topic is glossed over by just about everyone. why? because people aren't ready to let go of their crap. They need more ! mo! MO!. ....until they realize that it doesn't work anymore. The plan is perfect. We all go home.

cab
captain of 1,000
Location: ♫ I am a Mormon! ♫ And... dang it... a Mormon just believes! ♫

Post by cab »

And why is Jesus represented as a serpent on a staff?

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

cab wrote: July 5th, 2022, 9:36 pm And why is Jesus represented as a serpent on a staff?
I would ask who has interpreted the serpent to be Christ? Please share a reference, thanks.

cab
captain of 1,000

Post by cab »

FrankOne wrote: July 5th, 2022, 9:42 pm
cab wrote: July 5th, 2022, 9:36 pm And why is Jesus represented as a serpent on a staff?
I would ask who has interpreted the serpent to be Christ? Please share a reference, thanks.

2 Nephi 25
20 And now, my brethren, I have spoken plainly that ye cannot err. And as the Lord God liveth that brought Israel up out of the land of Egypt, and gave unto Moses power that he should heal the nations after they had been bitten by the poisonous serpents, if they would cast their eyes unto the serpent which he did raise up before them, and also gave him power that he should smite the rock and the water should come forth; yea, behold I say unto you, that as these things are true, and as the Lord God liveth, there is none other name given under heaven save it be this Jesus Christ, of which I have spoken, whereby man can be saved.

Helaman 8
14 Yea, did he not bear record that the Son of God should come? And as he lifted up the brazen serpent in the wilderness, even so shall he be lifted up who should come.
15 And as many as should look upon that serpent should live, even so as many as should look upon the Son of God with faith, having a contrite spirit, might live, even unto that life which is eternal.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

cab wrote: July 5th, 2022, 10:25 pm

2 Nephi 25
20 And now, my brethren, I have spoken plainly that ye cannot err. And as the Lord God liveth that brought Israel up out of the land of Egypt, and gave unto Moses power that he should heal the nations after they had been bitten by the poisonous serpents, if they would cast their eyes unto the serpent which he did raise up before them, and also gave him power that he should smite the rock and the water should come forth; yea, behold I say unto you, that as these things are true, and as the Lord God liveth, there is none other name given under heaven save it be this Jesus Christ, of which I have spoken, whereby man can be saved.

Helaman 8
14 Yea, did he not bear record that the Son of God should come? And as he lifted up the brazen serpent in the wilderness, even so shall he be lifted up who should come.
15 And as many as should look upon that serpent should live, even so as many as should look upon the Son of God with faith, having a contrite spirit, might live, even unto that life which is eternal.
Thanks for the reference, I had forgotten those passages.

In Nephi 25:20 , I do not see a correlation that Jesus Christ is the serpent. The reference to Christ does not appear to be connected with the serpent.

In Helaman 8:14 , My interpretation is that the serpent was lifted in the wilderness to lead the Israelites and that in a future time, Christ will rise to guide the people in the millenium. I personally do not see it meaning that Christ is the serpent, but instead, the example was given to bring a corollary to being an ensign or guide.

In the days of Moses, under the law of Moses, a serpent was raised to guide, yet in the future, under the new law of Christ, Christ himself will be raised as the savior.

8:15, same comments as above.

I can't say that I'm right, but it's how I see it.

cab
captain of 1,000

Post by cab »

FrankOne wrote: July 5th, 2022, 10:43 pm
cab wrote: July 5th, 2022, 10:25 pm

2 Nephi 25

Helaman 8
Thanks for the reference, I had forgotten those passages.

In Nephi 25:20 , I do not see a correlation that Jesus Christ is the serpent. The reference to Christ does not appear to be connected with the serpent.

In Helaman 8:14 , My interpretation is that the serpent was lifted in the wilderness to lead the Israelites and that in a future time, Christ will rise to guide the people in the millenium. I personally do not see it meaning that Christ is the serpent, but instead, the example was given to bring a corollary to being an ensign or guide.

In the days of Moses, under the law of Moses, a serpent was raised to guide, yet in the future, under the new law of Christ, Christ himself will be raised as the savior.

8:15, same comments as above.

I can't say that I'm right, but it's how I see it.

I think you’re right on,’I just wonder why a brazen serpent was used as the symbol in the wilderness?
Likewise in Native American cultures it seems that the feathery flying serpent God Quetzalcoatl was also an image of the white bearded God which visited them.
I wonder if the image of serpents has an allegorical tie to spiritual wisdom that we don’t generally talk about?