Should contraceptives be legal? A poll

Discuss political news items / current events.

Should contraceptives be legal?

Yes (except for abortion)
69%
Yes (except for some forms, please specify)
6%
No (in all cases)
14%
No (except for some forms, please specify)
4%
No opinion
6%

Total votes: 49
Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Should contraceptives be legal? A poll

Post by Niemand »

Niyr wrote: May 17th, 2022, 6:41 pm My logic didn't include advocating for anything. I simply told you what happened with the body naturally and what the morning after pill did. That is it. Zero input of my opinions of any matter.
If you exclude intention from here, you are being utterly illogical. It is the grist of this argument.

I've known many poor women who have suffered the grief and pain of a miscarriage. These can often occur late on in a pregnancy. This occurs naturally or accidentally. That doesn't justify late term abortions anymore than what you've just told me justifies killing babies which are only a few days, or even hours, old.

Niyr
captain of 100

Post by Niyr »

Speaking strictly in facts about nature and how a pill operates is not being illogical. YOU are being illogical by demanding that I must interject with my opinions as well. Not only that, YOU are being asinine and dishonest by saying that I am advocating for abortions when I said no such thing anywhere and never have.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

I don't think there is a problem with contraceptives that don't mess with your hormones. I believe we have an intellect for a reason and it is not in wisdom or order for a woman to get married and have a child every year or so as her biology would dictate until she is fifty or sixty years old. A lot of the babies born in her later years would not be very healthy anyway... You realize without contraceptives most fifty year old women would still be having babies. That isn't reasonable. Nature has a purpose to propogate. And our brains are in charge of stewarding nature well so that things are done in wisdom and order. Pretty sure natural animal-based contraceptives have been around for a long time.

The real problem with contraceptives is not that they are used, but they are used unwisely. They are used to prevent women from getting married and having children when they are young enough to be healthy and to have healthy offspring.

Wolfwoman
captain of 1,000

Post by Wolfwoman »

Juliet wrote: May 18th, 2022, 12:01 pm I don't think there is a problem with contraceptives that don't mess with your hormones. I believe we have an intellect for a reason and it is not in wisdom or order for a woman to get married and have a child every year or so as her biology would dictate until she is fifty or sixty years old. A lot of the babies born in her later years would not be very healthy anyway... You realize without contraceptives most fifty year old women would still be having babies. That isn't reasonable. Nature has a purpose to propogate. And our brains are in charge of stewarding nature well so that things are done in wisdom and order. Pretty sure natural animal-based contraceptives have been around for a long time.

The real problem with contraceptives is not that they are used, but they are used unwisely. They are used to prevent women from getting married and having children when they are young enough to be healthy and to have healthy offspring.
That's what your public school health program would have you believe. But chances of getting pregnant and having a live birth go down quite a bit as you age. At age 40, your chance of getting pregnant is only 5% every month. At age 45, it's less than 5%. And your chance of miscarriage at that age is near 50%. In your 50s and 60s, forget about it. Yes, there are occasional outliers, but those women get put on a short list of women on a Wikipedia page. Most women are not going to be getting pregnant in their 50s and 60s. Not in this day and age. Maybe in Adam and Eve's day, but things have sure changed since then.

Edit: some women are getting pregnant in their 50s and older because they're using an egg donor. Chance of getting pregnant with your own eggs in your 50s is extremely slim.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

The sin is having sex outside of marriage, so if we are going to ban anything we should ban and punish that. And if it happens, we should also do better at holding both parents accountable for the child they bring into the world. We wouldn't have recreational sex if there was a punishment for it.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

I don’t think you should give anyone power to ban them, but I believe that birth control is wrong.