POLL: Are you a member?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.

Yes, and love everything about the church.
7%
Yes, and love the church but have questions.
12%
Yes, but don't agree with everything that the church teaches.
29%
Yes, but the church has become corrupted.
38%
Yes, but don't want anything to do with the church.
2%
I was, but have since removed my records.
9%
I was excommunicated.
No votes
I've never been a member.
No votes
Other (explained below)
2%

Total votes: 99
Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

Apologies, I've made a few threads lately. But I'm curious to gauge where we're at on this topic.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: POLL: Are you a member?

Post by Niemand »

We're lucky we don't live in Canada. I don't think they'd be letting us through the door. Nor Australia.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Niemand wrote: April 27th, 2022, 9:59 am We're lucky we don't live in Canada. I don't think they'd be letting us through the door. Nor Australia.
Couldn't get into either of those places even if we wanted to right now.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

I put other. I am still technically a member, and occasionally go to a service, but that’s the limits of my association with the LDS Church.

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

Niemand wrote: April 27th, 2022, 9:59 am We're lucky we don't live in Canada. I don't think they'd be letting us through the door. Nor Australia.
The Branch Covidians are still preventing people from church service?

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: April 27th, 2022, 10:03 am
Couldn't get into either of those places even if we wanted to right now.
Count your blessings.
Australia has spiders with attitude, and Canada has people who pretend to be French.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Bump.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: April 27th, 2022, 8:42 am Apologies, I've made a few threads lately. But I'm curious to gauge where we're at on this topic.
I'm between "Love the Church but have questions" and "don't agree with everything the Church teaches."

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Lexew1899 wrote: April 27th, 2022, 10:27 am
In Mexico, that's still the case, if you are not masked or if you have a fever detected at the sanitary checkpoint at the chapel entrance. Local regulations in our case. Perhaps other regions of the country not so much.

Go further south into Latin America, and others will even ask for your vaccination certificate. Lacking that, you won't enter the chapel even if you have a name tag identifying yourself as a missionary of the Church.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Subcomandante wrote: April 27th, 2022, 7:42 pm
In Mexico, that's still the case, if you are not masked or if you have a fever detected at the sanitary checkpoint at the chapel entrance. Local regulations in our case. Perhaps other regions of the country not so much.

Go further south into Latin America, and others will even ask for your vaccination certificate. Lacking that, you won't enter the chapel even if you have a name tag identifying yourself as a missionary of the Church.
Colonia Dublan Ward in Northern Chihuahua was fine. I've been there twice.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

I wasn’t expecting as many people to have taken their records out, interesting.

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: April 27th, 2022, 9:10 pm I wasn’t expecting as many people to have taken their records out, interesting.
My new friend is working on that now.

It seems it is becoming more common.

These aren't quick decisions either.

She has been working through this for 8 years.

Still holds her faith, just not in the church.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

JuneBug12000 wrote: April 27th, 2022, 10:19 pm
Gadianton Slayer wrote: April 27th, 2022, 9:10 pm I wasn’t expecting as many people to have taken their records out, interesting.

I could name 6-7 people I know who have removed theirs over the last 2 years. Sadly most of them have gone the route of atheism… and are not fond of God or anything of the like.

A common theme among “exmos”. But there are still those who are like your friend, seeking for the truth and not tossing it all out. I’m grateful for that.

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: April 27th, 2022, 10:30 pm

I could name 6-7 people I know who have removed theirs over the last 2 years. Sadly most of them have gone the route of atheism… and are not fond of God or anything of the like.

A common theme among “exmos”. But there are still those who are like your friend, seeking for the truth and not tossing it all out. I’m grateful for that.
I'm seeing those who still believe in God, Jesus, Bible, even Joseph Smith and Book of Mormon, but not the organization.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

JuneBug12000 wrote: April 27th, 2022, 10:34 pm

I'm seeing those who still believe in God, Jesus, Bible, even Joseph Smith and Book of Mormon, but not the organization.
I think that’s where people will end up if they go about asking questions the right way.

All of the individuals I know gone down the other path started by reading the CES letter…

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Luke wrote: April 27th, 2022, 9:06 pm

Colonia Dublan Ward in Northern Chihuahua was fine. I've been there twice.
Glad to hear that they have some sense.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

Yes, but the church is corrupted (I think the LDS church was always less than it claimed to be though) and I don't participate. I don't fault anyone for staying in the ship. I think good still happens there.

I'm not sure what to do with my records. Maybe I'll start a blog or make some sort of channel to produce content and get excommunicated.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

A mixed bag of truth and lies doth prove an effective means of deception. :x

Pre-Toddler, but not bathwater. :mrgreen: dbnp

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Post by Dave62 »

What a bunch of bloody Fascists! We were never required to show vaccine passes in Queensland but I believe it was required in some places in Victoria. Had I been asked to show 'papers please' I would have stood outside and asked the bishop to send a deacon out with the sacrament.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Dave62 wrote: April 28th, 2022, 3:23 am

What a bunch of bloody Fascists! We were never required to show vaccine passes in Queensland but I believe it was required in some places in Victoria. Had I been asked to show 'papers please' I would have stood outside and asked the bishop to send a deacon out with the sacrament.
I don't blame the Church so much for the regulations but the local governments. The Church worked the way it did in my region of Mexico out of an abundance of caution because there are regulations written into the religious registration part where a church can be banned from the country for repeated violations of the health code. That of course, is an extreme measure and not applied the first go round (they go the way of fines and local prohibitions first).

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Last edited by Gadianton Slayer on April 28th, 2022, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

If your only limit for what the church will or will not do is based upon what the government asks (tells) you to do, well, you should know how this story ends. I hear this time and time again from Sub and others… at what point does your gave a damn button break? We know where society (governments) are headed. Wake up… wake up!!!

The most free nation on this earth DID NOT COMPLY!!

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

BuriedTartaria wrote: April 27th, 2022, 10:56 pm Maybe I'll start a blog or make some sort of channel to produce content and get excommunicated.
It's quite enjoyable, even if you don't get the celestial boot.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

So far this is actually much more unbalanced than I thought. Way to go 🍻

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Dave62 wrote: April 28th, 2022, 3:23 am

Thank God for that. I've been hearing some terrible things coming out if Australia and I gather there is now a "Wellness Centre" in QLD.

Victoria is/was run by Dan Andrews who is a complete nutcase. NT has that mad Michael Gunner, so who knows where that will go.

https://darwinnationalreview.com/health ... el-gunner/
Ellis FourThirty:
Last night my kid came into my bedroom crying, saying there was a monster under his bed. I went and looked underneath, and it was Michael Gunner.
Last edited by Niemand on April 29th, 2022, 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.