Receiving Priesthood by direct revelation

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Receiving Priesthood by direct revelation

Post by Luke »

Here, the Prophet Joseph Smith and President John Taylor establish the following fact: that one may receive Priesthood, 1. by direct revelation to themselves, 2. by ordination.

“We believe that no man can administer salvation through the gospel, to the souls of men, in the name of Jesus Christ, except he is authorized from God, by revelation, or by being ordained by some one whom God hath sent by revelation, as it is written by Paul, Romans 10:14, ‘and how shall they believe in him, of whom, they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? and how shall they preach, except they be sent?’ and I will ask, how can they be sent without a revelation, or some other visible display of the manifestation of God. And again, Hebrews, 5:4, ‘And no man taketh this honor unto himself, but he that is called of God, as was Aaron.’—And I would ask, how was Aaron called, but by revelation?” (Joseph Smith, 22 March 1839, Times and Seasons, Vol. 1, No. 4, pg. 54, February 1840)

“If a man is called of God, he must be called either by the voice or Spirit of God, or by somebody who is authorized of God, and knows something about His ways. If he does not receive his calling in this way, how is he going to get it? There is one other way—that is, if God has had a regular Priesthood upon the earth, unbroken, uncorrupted and uncontaminated, then it might come down from one to another through the different ages.” (John Taylor, JD 25:263, 17 August 1884)

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Receiving Priesthood by direct revelation

Post by Niemand »

I agree with this, but maybe that's my Protestant heritage showing. Such thinking is a threat to the established order so they don't promote it at church.

The idea of there being more than one contemporary prophet is backed up by scripture multiple times. (One example being that while the BoM is going on, there are also Old World prophets and priests, who are not necessarily aware of the other lot.) That too is a threat to their established order.

If we don't believe what you say there, then Joseph was not a prophet, because he had no mortal person to get the priesthood from.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Yes, it has always been this way. For example, Enoch received priesthood from Adam:

D&C 107:48 Enoch was twenty-five years old when he was ordained under the hand of Adam; and he was sixty-five and Adam blessed him.

And yet it was by the calling of God's own voice that Enoch (and also Melchizedek) received of the fullness and was brought back into God's presence:

JST Genesis 14:27 And thus, having been approved of God, he was ordained an high priest after the order of the covenant which God made with Enoch,

28 It being after the order of the Son of God; which order came, not by man, nor the will of man; neither by father nor mother; neither by beginning of days nor end of years; but of God;

29 And it was delivered unto men by the calling of his own voice, according to his own will, unto as many as believed on his name.

30 For God having sworn unto Enoch and unto his seed with an oath by himself; that every one being ordained after this order and calling should have power, by faith, to break mountains, to divide the seas, to dry up waters, to turn them out of their course;

31 To put at defiance the armies of nations, to divide the earth, to break every band, to stand in the presence of God; to do all things according to his will, according to his command, subdue principalities and powers; and this by the will of the Son of God which was from before the foundation of the world.

32 And men having this faith, coming up unto this order of God, were translated and taken up into heaven.

33 And now, Melchizedek was a priest of this order; therefore he obtained peace in Salem, and was called the Prince of peace.

This is also how it was with Moses:

D&C 84:6 And the sons of Moses, according to the Holy Priesthood which he received under the hand of his father-in-law, Jethro;

7 And Jethro received it under the hand of Caleb...

Priesthood is always received by the laying on of hands. And if you are faithful, you can come unto this priesthood like Melchizedek, Enoch, Moses, Joseph Smith, etc. But if you are not faithful like them, wo unto you:

D&C 84:42 And wo unto all those who come not unto this priesthood which ye have received, which I now confirm upon you who are present this day, by mine own voice out of the heavens; and even I have given the heavenly hosts and mine angels charge concerning you.

Wo unto all who do not come unto Christ to be redeemed and brought back into His presence. That's the whole point and purpose of God's work: to bring to pass the immorality and eternal life of man. That's why Melchizedek and Enoch obtained Zion. But the people of Israel didn't under Moses. They rejected that invitation and were left to wander in the wilderness. Same with the early saints in Joseph Smith's day until the present day were we find ourselves--in the wilderness. But as I said elsewhere, a man like unto Moses will lead people out from Babylon with power to begin the process of redemption and building up Zion.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Niemand wrote: April 26th, 2022, 3:51 amIf we don't believe what you say there, then Joseph was not a prophet, because he had no mortal person to get the priesthood from.
Adam had no mortal person to get the priesthood from and yet he received the fulness of the priesthood.

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

marc wrote: April 26th, 2022, 4:08 am
Niemand wrote: April 26th, 2022, 3:51 amIf we don't believe what you say there, then Joseph was not a prophet, because he had no mortal person to get the priesthood from.
Adam had no mortal person to get the priesthood from and yet he received the fulness of the priesthood.
I think Adam already had that before he came to this world.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Post by darknesstolight »

Luke wrote: April 25th, 2022, 9:15 pm Here, the Prophet Joseph Smith and President John Taylor establish the following fact: that one may receive Priesthood, 1. by direct revelation to themselves, 2. by ordination.

“We believe that no man can administer salvation through the gospel, to the souls of men, in the name of Jesus Christ, except he is authorized from God, by revelation, or by being ordained by some one whom God hath sent by revelation, as it is written by Paul, Romans 10:14, ‘and how shall they believe in him, of whom, they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? and how shall they preach, except they be sent?’ and I will ask, how can they be sent without a revelation, or some other visible display of the manifestation of God. And again, Hebrews, 5:4, ‘And no man taketh this honor unto himself, but he that is called of God, as was Aaron.’—And I would ask, how was Aaron called, but by revelation?” (Joseph Smith, 22 March 1839, Times and Seasons, Vol. 1, No. 4, pg. 54, February 1840)

“If a man is called of God, he must be called either by the voice or Spirit of God, or by somebody who is authorized of God, and knows something about His ways. If he does not receive his calling in this way, how is he going to get it? There is one other way—that is, if God has had a regular Priesthood upon the earth, unbroken, uncorrupted and uncontaminated, then it might come down from one to another through the different ages.” (John Taylor, JD 25:263, 17 August 1884)
Only way to get priesthood is by revelation from the Spirit. Even an ordinance requires Spirit for it to be valid.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

darknesstolight wrote: April 26th, 2022, 6:29 am
Luke wrote: April 25th, 2022, 9:15 pm Here, the Prophet Joseph Smith and President John Taylor establish the following fact: that one may receive Priesthood, 1. by direct revelation to themselves, 2. by ordination.

Only way to get priesthood is by revelation from the Spirit. Even an ordinance requires Spirit for it to be valid.

I 100% agree. I will do a follow up post on that at some point. The Scriptural evidence to prove this is overwhelming.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Lexew1899 wrote: April 26th, 2022, 4:19 am
marc wrote: April 26th, 2022, 4:08 am
I think Adam already had that before he came to this world.
Alma 13 says that everyone who actually has Melchizedek Priesthood was foreordained.

bjornagain
captain of 100

Post by bjornagain »

But, doesn't everyone receive the priesthood by the laying on of hands? That's how Joseph Smith got it, I thought.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

bjornagain wrote: April 26th, 2022, 10:21 am

But, doesn't everyone receive the priesthood by the laying on of hands? That's how Joseph Smith got it, I thought.
Not everyone. There were many in Scripture who received authority without any ordination. Adam in Moses 6, for example, or Alma in Mosiah 18.

I believe Joseph had the Melchizedek Priesthood before his ordination.

He received the Aaronic Priesthood from John the Baptist, and he received the Apostleship from Peter, James, and John, but he received the Melchizedek Priesthood through revelation.

He then conferred it upon Lyman Wight, who then gave Joseph an ordination to that Priesthood.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Who did Abinadi get his priesthood ordination from? Wasn't he a prophet? Were King Noah and his priests (who were ordained with the same priesthood as Nephi) correct to think that he was an imposter?

What about Samuel the Lamanite?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

bjornagain wrote: April 26th, 2022, 10:21 amBut, doesn't everyone receive the priesthood by the laying on of hands? That's how Joseph Smith got it, I thought.
Yes. Joseph Smith received it from Peter, James, and John apart from the fullness, which he received from the Lord like Enoch did. We tend to think that just because hands were laid on our heads by our dads or someone in the Bishopric or whatever, that this is the end-all, be-all with the greater priesthood. It's not.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

InfoWarrior82 wrote: April 26th, 2022, 10:34 am Who did Abinadi get his priesthood ordination from? Wasn't he a prophet? Were King Noah and his priests (who were ordained with the same priesthood as Nephi) correct to think that he was an imposter?

Unless Abinadi were particularly young, he would have gotten the priesthood from Mosiah or some else before leaving with Zeniff.

Samuel the Lamanite would have received it from any number of priesthood holders who were around. At his time, it says:
1 And it came to pass that when the sixty and second year of the reign of the judges had ended, all these things had happened and the Lamanites had become, the more part of them, a righteous people, insomuch that their righteousness did exceed that of the Nephites, because of their firmness and their steadiness in the faith.

In other words, the church was doing well among the Lamanaites, so it's not really a question where Samuel would have gotten it from.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Artaxerxes wrote: April 26th, 2022, 2:33 pm
InfoWarrior82 wrote: April 26th, 2022, 10:34 am Who did Abinadi get his priesthood ordination from? Wasn't he a prophet? Were King Noah and his priests (who were ordained with the same priesthood as Nephi) correct to think that he was an imposter?

Unless Abinadi were particularly young, he would have gotten the priesthood from Mosiah or some else before leaving with Zeniff.

Samuel the Lamanite would have received it from any number of priesthood holders who were around. At his time, it says:
1 And it came to pass that when the sixty and second year of the reign of the judges had ended, all these things had happened and the Lamanites had become, the more part of them, a righteous people, insomuch that their righteousness did exceed that of the Nephites, because of their firmness and their steadiness in the faith.

In other words, the church was doing well among the Lamanaites, so it's not really a question where Samuel would have gotten it from.

Is priesthood ordination the same thing as being ordained to be a prophet for the world?

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

InfoWarrior82 wrote: April 26th, 2022, 2:36 pm

Is priesthood ordination the same thing as being ordained to be a prophet for the world?
Neither Abinadi nor Samuel were prophets holding keys. At their time, it was Mosiah and Nephi, respectively, who were the prophets at the head of the Lord's church.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Artaxerxes wrote: April 26th, 2022, 2:48 pm

Neither Abinadi nor Samuel were prophets holding keys. At their time, it was Mosiah and Nephi, respectively, who were the prophets at the head of the Lord's church.
What do you mean by “prophets holding keys”? This is meaningless jargon. Define what keys you are exactly referring to, and what this means in actuality.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

How could one be a prophet for the world without being given keys? And Mosiah was alive during King Noah?
Last edited by InfoWarrior82 on April 26th, 2022, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

InfoWarrior82 wrote: April 26th, 2022, 2:56 pm

How could one be a prophet for the world without being given keys?
Who are we talking about? Again, Samuel and Abinadi were not prophets for the whole world.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Artaxerxes wrote: April 26th, 2022, 2:59 pm

Who are we talking about? Again, Samuel and Abinadi were not prophets for the whole world.

Who was during this time?

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

Luke wrote: April 26th, 2022, 2:54 pm

What do you mean by “prophets holding keys”? This is meaningless jargon. Define what keys you are exactly referring to, and what this means in actuality.
The keys to act as the Lord's medium.

"by revelation and commandment through the medium of mine anointed, whom I have appointed on the earth to hold this power (and I have appointed unto my servant Joseph to hold this power in the last days, and there is never but one on the earth at a time on whom this power and the keys of this priesthood are conferred)."

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

InfoWarrior82 wrote: April 26th, 2022, 3:00 pm

????? Do you not read posts before responding to them?

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Artaxerxes wrote: April 26th, 2022, 2:59 pm Who are we talking about? Again, Samuel and Abinadi were not prophets for the whole world.
Where on earth does this concept of a "prophet for the whole world" come from? Would to God that all the Lord's people were prophets. This is just nonsense.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Artaxerxes wrote: April 26th, 2022, 3:01 pm

Who was the prophet during Abinadi's calling?

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

Luke wrote: April 26th, 2022, 3:02 pm
Artaxerxes wrote: April 26th, 2022, 2:59 pm Who are we talking about? Again, Samuel and Abinadi were not prophets for the whole world.
Where on earth does this concept of a "prophet for the whole world" come from? Would to God that all the Lord's people were prophets. This is just nonsense.
And yet there can be only one.
"there is never but one on the earth at a time on whom this power and the keys of this priesthood are conferred"
only-one-there-can-be-only-one.gif
only-one-there-can-be-only-one.gif (164.57 KiB) Viewed 307 times

Artaxerxes
captain of 1,000

Post by Artaxerxes »

InfoWarrior82 wrote: April 26th, 2022, 3:05 pm
Artaxerxes wrote: April 26th, 2022, 3:01 pm

Who was the prophet during Abinadi's calling?
viewtopic.php?p=1261813#p1261813