The Lord has never commanded that polygamy be lived. Change my mind.

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Alexander
the Great
Location: amongst the brotherhood of the Black Robed Regiment; cocked hat and cocked rifle

Re: The Lord has never commanded that polygamy be lived. Change my mind.

Post by Alexander »

Atrasado wrote: April 21st, 2022, 7:39 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 20th, 2022, 11:33 pm So… my offer still stands. Not one instance where the Lord commanded it.
Just because there isn't a place where the Lord specifically commanded something doesn't mean He never did--after all, even the world itself couldn't hold the books if all his works had been written.
Celestial Uranism vindicated again. You guys are great.

Alexander
the Great
Location: amongst the brotherhood of the Black Robed Regiment; cocked hat and cocked rifle

Post by Alexander »

I love how Jacob adamantly commands the Nephites (and us) to stop citing the words that were written of David and Solomon to excuse unrighteous iniquituous practices...

And then we have people on this forum citing the words written of David and Solomon to justify unrighteous iniquitous practices.

The absolute irony

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

JLHPROF wrote: April 21st, 2022, 6:57 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 21st, 2022, 7:19 am
JLHPROF wrote: April 21st, 2022, 6:56 am The old D&C 101 wasn't a revelation from God.
And you've had Jacob 2 explained repeatedly.
But keep right on selling that line, nobody is buying it.
Do your research on the original 101. It was more than a fart in the wind. It was voted on by the body of the church. Joseph also had it read to all members.
Common consent votes have zero bearing on divine origin. Or truth for that matter. That section was rightly removed.
You didn't do your research. There's far more to the original 101.

Atrasado
captain of 100

Post by Atrasado »

Alexander wrote: April 21st, 2022, 7:01 pm
Atrasado wrote: April 20th, 2022, 8:58 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 20th, 2022, 8:09 pm A bit of a challenge for you pro-polygamy peeps out there. Can you show me one instance in the scriptures where the Lord specifically commanded His people to live polygamy other than D&C 132?
I can show you where the Lord specifically says that He might command it in Jacob. Why do you think the Lord gave that caveat to Jacob? Because He knew He would use it someday.

I can show you in Isaiah where it says that it will be practiced just before the Second Coming.

I can show you where the Lord gives directions for polygamy in the books of Moses.

I can show you where the Fathers of the Righteous, Jacob and Abraham, practiced polygamy and they sit enthroned in heaven.

I can show you where Jesus acted as if he were the husband of three different women.

I can show you plenty of witnesses from pioneer times of women who testified of heavenly manifestations confirming that God commanded polygamy.

All of these things add up to one thing to me: when commanded, polygamy is of God.
The logic of Jacob 2 wresting:

"[insert abominable action] is such a horrible thing. Stop doing it; stop justifying it. I do not like it. I know that it hurts the women, and I have heard their mourning, and I will not stand it
...oh, and just a heads up...
I might command you to [do abominable action] in the future."

Let's insert something like [rape] into the equation:

"Rape is such a horrible thing. Stop doing it; stop justifying it. I do not like it. I know that it hurts the women, and I have heard their mourning, and I will not stand it
I might command you to rape someone in the future."
Polygamy was not the sin that these Nephites where committing. It seems they were using polygamy to justify prostitution. This is commonly done even today by some middle-easterners. They have temporary marriages--they get married with the understanding that they will get divorced in a week or two--so that they can have sanctioned sex and they sometimes they pay the woman for this. But it isn't prostitution because we were married (wink, wink). I'm guessing that the arrangement was something like that.

So to protect His daughters from that practice, Jacob was given the directive to disallow what God has directed Moses to allow. Of course, this was only for the branch of Israel that was the Nephites. The rest of the House of Israel was still practicing polygamy.

Alexander
the Great

Post by Alexander »

Atrasado wrote: April 21st, 2022, 9:35 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 20th, 2022, 8:09 pm A bit of a challenge for you pro-polygamy peeps out there. Can you show me one instance in the scriptures where the Lord specifically commanded His people to live polygamy other than D&C 132?
I can show you where the Lord specifically says that He might command it in Jacob. Why do you think the Lord gave that caveat to Jacob? Because He knew He would use it someday.

I can show you in Isaiah where it says that it will be practiced just before the Second Coming.

I can show you where the Lord gives directions for polygamy in the books of Moses.

I can show you where the Fathers of the Righteous, Jacob and Abraham, practiced polygamy and they sit enthroned in heaven.

I can show you where Jesus acted as if he were the husband of three different women.

I can show you plenty of witnesses from pioneer times of women who testified of heavenly manifestations confirming that God commanded polygamy.

All of these things add up to one thing to me: when commanded, polygamy is of God.

"[insert abominable action] is such a horrible thing. Stop doing it; stop justifying it. I do not like it. I know that it hurts the women, and I have heard their mourning, and I will not stand it

"Rape is such a horrible thing. Stop doing it; stop justifying it. I do not like it. I know that it hurts the women, and I have heard their mourning, and I will not stand it
Polygamy was not the sin that these Nephites where committing. It seems they were using polygamy to justify prostitution. This is commonly done even today by some middle-easterners. They have temporary marriages--they get married with the understanding that they will get divorced in a week or two--so that they can have sanctioned sex and they sometimes they pay the woman for this. But it isn't prostitution because we were married (wink, wink). I'm guessing that the arrangement was something like that.

So to protect His daughters from that practice, Jacob was given the directive to disallow what God has directed Moses to allow. Of course, this was only for the branch of Israel that was the Nephites. The rest of the House of Israel was still practicing polygamy.
This analphabetic monkeying is phenomenal, really. Bravo!

Jacob 1
15 And now it came to pass that the people of Nephi, under the reign of the second king, began to grow hard in their hearts, and indulge themselves somewhat in wicked practices, such as like unto David of old desiring many wives and concubines, and also Solomon, his son.

24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.
25 Wherefore, thus saith the Lord, I have led this people forth out of the land of Jerusalem, by the power of mine arm, that I might raise up unto me a righteous branch from the fruit of the loins of Joseph.

JLHPROF
captain of 100

Post by JLHPROF »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 21st, 2022, 7:53 pm
JLHPROF wrote: April 21st, 2022, 6:56 am The old D&C 101 wasn't a revelation from God.
And you've had Jacob 2 explained repeatedly.
But keep right on selling that line, nobody is buying it.
Do your research on the original 101. It was more than a fart in the wind. It was voted on by the body of the church. Joseph also had it read to all members.
Common consent votes have zero bearing on divine origin. Or truth for that matter. That section was rightly removed.
I've done plenty of research. Enough to know Joseph didn't write it, God didn't speak it, and Joseph was in Michigan when it was voted in.
That document did not represent the word of God. D&C 132 does, like it or not.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

JLHPROF wrote: April 21st, 2022, 10:18 pm

I've done plenty of research. Enough to know Joseph didn't write it, God didn't speak it, and Joseph was in Michigan when it was voted in.
Might wanna do some research on the actual author of 132 as well :lol:

Complete garbage that is.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 21st, 2022, 7:19 am Do your research on the original 101. It was more than a fart in the wind.
No, this is exactly and precisely what it was.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

The things you guys will do to justify an abomination.

BeNotDeceived
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BeNotDeceived »

So what’s the consensus?

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Alexander wrote: April 21st, 2022, 7:28 pm I love how Jacob adamantly commands the Nephites (and us) to stop citing the words that were written of David and Solomon to excuse unrighteous iniquituous practices...

And then we have people on this forum citing the words written of David and Solomon to justify unrighteous iniquitous practices.

The absolute irony
You hit the nail on the head. The Nephites were doing what David and Solomon did and justifying it because they did it.
That is the whole context.

No mention of Abraham or Israel etc, because it was known that they did not do what David and Solomon did.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

The Lord commanding it and your wife agreeing to it are two different topics. Unfortunately the Lord has still given women free will to an extent so even if the Lord does command polygamy that doesn't mean it's going to happen.
Last edited by Juliet on April 22nd, 2022, 9:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

Baurak Ale
Nauvoo Legion Captain

Post by Baurak Ale »

Robin Hood wrote: April 22nd, 2022, 5:17 am
Alexander wrote: April 21st, 2022, 7:28 pm I love how Jacob adamantly commands the Nephites (and us) to stop citing the words that were written of David and Solomon to excuse unrighteous iniquituous practices...

The absolute irony
You hit the nail on the head. The Nephites were doing what David and Solomon did and justifying it because they did it.
That is the whole context.

No mention of Abraham or Israel etc, because it was known that they did not do what David and Solomon did.
Yes, both David and Solomon ended up falling from grace due to incidents involving out of control polygamic dynamics. As Joseph Smith said, Solomon asked for Wisdom and with it God granted every desire of his heart. How many of us would draw the line on our own appropriately in that situation? Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob all handled the principle righteously, and as such God prefers to call himself their God by name ever after. The difference was that David and Solomon both had their hearts turned away from God by their wives.

The Nephites were using the existence of the principle, as poorly exercised by those two notable kings specifically, to justify immoral relations that were breaking their wives' hearts. I can tell you that as often as my wife and I discuss this topic, when the Lord calls us to take another wife there will not be tears of sorrow in our home.

Baurak Ale
Nauvoo Legion Captain

Post by Baurak Ale »

Atrasado wrote: April 21st, 2022, 9:35 pm

This is spot on. Only it was Lehi who originally and prophetically gave the prohibition against polygamy for his seed; the Lamanites retained his words in honor and the Nephites started to justify breaking it by the scriptures they had.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

BeNotDeceived wrote: April 21st, 2022, 11:57 pm So what’s the consensus?
No one's mind will be changed unless they are new to the conversation. Lots of emotion is tied to this discussion, and a few people are currently practicing polygamy. Good luck convincing them that it's evil, no one wants to be told that their lifestyle and belief systems are false.

Some people will always try to justify whatever they want, no matter how much information is presented. That goes for both sides of any argument.

Baurak Ale
Nauvoo Legion Captain

Post by Baurak Ale »

Valheim wrote: April 21st, 2022, 3:12 pm
ransomme wrote: April 21st, 2022, 3:06 pm
Valheim wrote: April 21st, 2022, 12:34 pm It seems the original poster wants to separate allowing and commanding which is a pretty arbitrary line imo, but I digress.

As far as scriptures go, it he seems he is looking for:

Scriptures allowing polygamy: Great men such as Abraham, Israel, Judah, Gideon, Samson, David, and Solomon had multiple wives, which is not condemned

Scriptures Commanding polygamy: the law actually made it mandatory in one circumstance: if a married man died without leaving a male heir, his brother was required to marry his widow regardless of whether he already had a wife. This was so that she would have support during her old age (either from her new husband or from her son) and so that the family name and land would be passed on (Deut 25:5–6). Verse 6 here tells us this involves sex.

“ Laws Concerning Levirate Marriage
5 “If brothers dwell together, and one of them dies and has no son, the wife of the dead man shall not be married outside the family to a stranger. Her fhusband’s brother shall go in to her and take her as his wife and perform the duty of a husband’s brother to her. 6 And the first son whom she bears shall succeed to the name of his dead brother, that ghis name may not be blotted out of Israel.”

Jacob 2:30 also commands it. “30 For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things.”
You'd figure God would bless polygamists more since they are just doing what they are supposed, and per the untrustworthy Section 132 it is even required to reach the top of the Celestial Kingdom.
Let's see how the known polygamists faired in raising seed to the Lord:

By their fruits you shall know them:

Lamech - the second Master Mahan after Cain, and murderer.
Abraham - what was the point of Abraham's polygamy? It wasn't to raise up seed to the Lord as only one child was included in Abraham's inheritance.
Esau - nothing positive here just strife in his wake.
Jacob - Family strife, preferred wife, jealousy, slavery.
Ashur - nothing to note at all.
Gideon - more family strife and 70 kids murdered, civil war
Elkanah - preferred wife, family strife,
David - covetousness, lust, murder, family strife, family negligence
Solomon - lust, greed, idolatry, the beginning of the end, family neflafeance
Rehoboam - followed right in the footsteps of David and Solomon, with no positive results
Abijah - nothing positive to note
Jehoram - idolatry, murder, and one of the evilest Kings
Joash - eventually turned from the Lord and murdered
Ahab - another wicked polygamist king, “there was none like unto Ahab, which did sell himself to work wickedness” (1 Kgs 21:25)
Jehoiachin - was so evil that Jeremiah prophesied that none of his descendants would occupy the throne (Jer 22:30).
I will preface this with saying I just try to follow God.

I will say that is the most interesting thing I have seen in a long time. Very interesting list and good point on the fruits, I too wonder about the second child of Abraham, I see that one as them being impatient and not waiting long enough.
Many are called but few are chosen!

As for Abraham and his heir, or any of these men and heirship: the firstborn of the chosen wife of nearest blood relation became the inheritor of the estate whereas the other sons were required to go into neighboring areas and establish new estates. This is called the Horite Kingship tradition. This is what we see with Abraham sending Ishmael away with prophetic promises of a vast progeny where he is sent. It is also why Abraham had Isaac stay home when he sent a servant to get him another wife of a particular bloodline. So the notion that only one child could receive the birth right is not a negative fruit of polygamy; it is the law of inheritance. We could equally argue against patriarchy in monogamic societies that do not allow inheritance by daughters as it is incidental to the practice and an artifact of the law.
This is why Joseph's 10 brothers were so jealous of him. He was the firstborn of the chosen wife of Israel, but many of the other sons were born before him to the wrong wives in the eyes of the law.

As for making a list of men who were engaged in polygamy and were wicked, this is not direct evidence of anything. Let's make a list of monogamous men who were wicked. What is notable is that in the Bible none of the men listed were called out for their polygamy by God. That is of course because he endorsed it.

Baurak Ale
Nauvoo Legion Captain

Post by Baurak Ale »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: April 22nd, 2022, 9:09 am
No one's mind will be changed unless they are new to the conversation. Lots of emotion is tied to this discussion, and a few people are currently practicing polygamy. Good luck convincing them that it's evil, no one wants to be told that their lifestyle and belief systems are false.

Some people will always try to justify whatever they want, no matter how much information is presented. That goes for both sides of any argument.
The other problem is that not everyone here agrees on what counts as scripture. The OP wants evidence of God saying something but only according to his definition of scripture. Without a consensus on definitions, this debate can never be conclusive and will always go back to what is or is not scriptural.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Baurak Ale wrote: April 22nd, 2022, 9:19 am

The other problem is that not everyone here agrees on what counts as scripture. The OP wants evidence of God saying something but only according to his definition of scripture. Without a consensus on definitions, this debate can never be conclusive and will always go back to what is or is not scriptural.
Anything you like can be scripture, and anyone who makes you feel good can be a prophet.

BeNotDeceived
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Baurak Ale wrote: April 22nd, 2022, 9:19 am

My mind was changed from knowing to not knowing.

This was a natural consequence of knowing the church is not all it’s cracked up to be.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

The OP is quite simple. Where has anyone in scripture said, "The Lord wanted me to do this by way of commandment"? There is not a single instance in scripture. For this to supposedly be such a vital aspect of exaltation, you'd think it would be more apparent and far less criptic.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

JLHPROF wrote: April 21st, 2022, 10:18 pm

lol 132 was doctored and only published ~30 years after Joseph's death. See some of the original wording in Joseph's journal and compare it to the version altered long after Joseph's death for publication.
132 change 01.JPG
132 change 01.JPG (78.78 KiB) Viewed 139 times
It was one of BY's fantasies that he got to live out. BY even claims to have come up with the idea of polygamy first all on his own.
BY on own revelation.JPG
BY on own revelation.JPG (137.55 KiB) Viewed 139 times
Last edited by ransomme on April 22nd, 2022, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 100

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

Years ago I had a work colleague that was getting into swinging with his wife. He had some friends already in the swinging "community" and was telling me about it (his wife actually approached me at one point, but that's another story). He mentioned how many of the couples in that "community" weren't with their original companions, that many of them didn't last and were on their second or third marriages... of course, with women/men they met from swinging. I asked him why on earth he thought the outcome would be any different for them - that he was possibly putting an end to their marriage by starting up in this. He said they were all doing it wrong and he and his wife had it figured out; they were going to do it right.

That was around 18 or so years ago. They're not together anymore.

I find it interesting that the polygamy discussion ends up in a similar place. "They weren't doing it right. The outcome would be different for us because we're more enlightened." Honestly, good luck with that.

If exaltation is possible in my measly monogamous marriage, then why would I risk what I have for something that isn't even required?
Last edited by Dusty Wanderer on April 22nd, 2022, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valheim
captain of 10

Post by Valheim »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 22nd, 2022, 9:52 am The OP is quite simple. Where has anyone in scripture said, "The Lord wanted me to do this by way of commandment"? There is not a single instance in scripture. For this to supposedly be such a vital aspect of exaltation, you'd think it would be more apparent and far less criptic.
Where are you even getting that from? Nobody has ever said it is vital for exaltation unless you are directly commanded to and then its just a general following the prophet kindof thing.

Valheim
captain of 10

Post by Valheim »

Dusty Wanderer wrote: April 22nd, 2022, 11:15 am Years ago I had a work colleague that was getting into swinging with his wife. He had some friends already in the swinging "community" and was telling me about it (his wife actually approached me at one point, but that's another story). He mentioned how many of the couples in that "community" weren't with their original companions, that many of them didn't last and were on their second or third marriages... of course, with women/men they met from swinging. I asked him why on earth he thought the outcome would be any different for them - that he was possibly putting an end to their marriage by starting up in this. He said they were all doing it wrong and he and his wife had it figured out; they were going to do it right.

That was around 18 or so years ago. They're not together anymore.

I find it interesting that the polygamy discussion ends up in a similar place. "They weren't doing it right. The outcome would be different for us because we're more enlightened." Honestly, good luck with that.

If exaltation is possible in my measly monogamous marriage, then why would I risk what I have for something that isn't even required... ahh, the blinding mists of carnal possibilities.
Well any swingers or polygamists these days are just sinners. Polygamy isnt practiced anymore

Valheim
captain of 10

Post by Valheim »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: April 22nd, 2022, 9:52 am The OP is quite simple. Where has anyone in scripture said, "The Lord wanted me to do this by way of commandment"? There is not a single instance in scripture. For this to supposedly be such a vital aspect of exaltation, you'd think it would be more apparent and far less criptic.
You havent even explained why. Whats the problem with Jacob 2:30 and the samuel scripture?