Freezing beans

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Freezing beans

Post by OCDMOM »

The patriotic nurse on you tube says to freeze beans 72 hours before storing them. I didn't know that.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Re: Freezing beans

Post by Momma J »

OCDMOM wrote: March 29th, 2022, 11:34 am The patriotic nurse on you tube says to freeze beans 72 hours before storing them. I didn't know that.
I do that with beans and flour. Both have insect eggs (we eat more than we will ever know) This stops them from hatching. I am guessing oxygen absorbers kill them as well.

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

Momma J wrote: March 29th, 2022, 1:34 pm
OCDMOM wrote: March 29th, 2022, 11:34 am The patriotic nurse on you tube says to freeze beans 72 hours before storing them. I didn't know that.
I do that with beans and flour. Both have insect eggs (we eat more than we will ever know) This stops them from hatching. I am guessing oxygen absorbers kill them as well.
Do you have to do that with rice?

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

It’s probably helpful with any type of grain for long term storage. Proper containers that stop them from spreading are also important. One spoiled bucket is better than 20 spoiled bags. There’s so many thousands of kinds of grain bugs. Weevils, false weevils, random beetles, or mites, not to mention scavenging ants from your yard. They are pretty nasty pests. I’ve seen them dozens of times in my line of work. They are annoying. Sometimes I’ve frozen entire pallets of feed for a few days and it still doesn’t kill them all. They can infest corn, wheat, rice, beans, feed, etc.

They come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. Sometimes they are black, large, about the size of ants. Other times they look like tiny brown specks of dust, and you have to look closely to even spot them moving. I’ve seen them about 1/3 the size of the mites above for example.
https://badpests.com/weevils/

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

I have never frozen them, but I do put dry ice in the buckets to de-oxygenate them. It's very cheap to order online. Order more than you need to make sure you get it right. It's heavier than oxygen, so it will push the oxygen out if you place it at the bottom of the bucket. Then throw more on once the rice is in the bucket. If they can't breathe, they can't live. They can't live without water anyway, so if your bucket is sealed and dry, I think you'll be fine. In my experience, I have never had trouble with a well-sealed bucket with no dry ice or freezing or other measure taken, even after a decade.)

Oh yes, and if you freeze them, they probably won't sprout.