New To The Group 03/15/2022

Tell us about yourself...
professor1554
Hi, I'm new.

New To The Group 03/15/2022

Post by professor1554 »

This evening I was doing some research on the mural painted in the Washington DC Temple called the Last Judgement, by John Scott. Inadvertently I ran across the site for LDS Freedom Forum and found a post by a member named Bridgey (captain of 100) who was looking for a full size copy of the mural that he could purchase. He started the thread
August 14, 2011 at 4:51 am. He must be a night owl like me. There are 22 posts for this search throughout the decade which resulted in satisfactory results, I am sure, for Bridgey, the final thread being dated November 16, 2019 at 9:52 am. Bridgey received responding posts from many of the forum's members supporting him in his search. The clincher came from one member,
Chas Haywood, who was able to definitively provide Bridgey with the information he needed to purchase the artwork on May 30, 2019 at 4:46pm.

Anyway, the reason I am writing so verbosely about this is to introduce you to the fact that I am an avid researcher, and my interests range from A to Z. While I was reading the "Looking For A Picture" post the final few words caught my attention. I quote them here...

"His story of [the] painting is that the church contracted it with an artist who is a Jehovah’s Witness. He painted himself closest to the savior. He was not sure of his wife, so he painted her on both sides of the painting."

I have heard a different version of the story. First of all I have never heard that John Scott was Jehovah's Witness. In fact I have spent many, frustrating hours trying to find out about this guy, because i wanted to make sure my facts were correct before I shared them on this wonderful forum. I have a lot more research to do, but here are a couple of things I do know from my research, and I will provide a link so these can be verified. Forgive me if you already know some of this information.

1) The mural in the Washington DC Temple is a copy of an original work of art...it is a reproduction painted by John Scott, and according to the fact page I found somewhere this evening, which I at the moment can not re-find (I have so many windows open that it's slowing down my computer) - the artist for the original painting is unkown...so if someone can point me in the right direction to find out who John Scott is I would really appreciate.

and 2) The story I heard about the John Scott painting including a self-portrait of himself on the mural was that he was unsure whether he would be on the right hand or left hand side of the Savior, so he painted himself on both sides of the Savior. If you look closely at the mural you will see two gentlemen dressed in a brown suit. You will notice that both of these men are the same person...The individual on the right hand side of the painting, the Savior's left hand side, is on the ground groveling. The person on the left side of the mural, the Savior's right hand side, is in a position of reverence and he looks to be going down to his knees.

Here is a link to the picture i am talking about...
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=53 ... _tn__=EH-R

I hope I did this correctly. I don't know BBCode. The FAQ's about how to attach a picture to a post were confusing, so if I did wrong please forgive me and do whatever is necessary to help me get this picture into the post. It is not my intention to break any rules.

So that's me...Robert...aka professor1554 (yes I used to be a teacher...the story about my nickname is for another day.) If you managed to read this entire thing, God bless you. I look forward to visiting the forum every once in awhile.

Thanks, p1554

PS If you are looking for some great Google Images of the artwork being discussed here, this is the link I regularly use to get a copy of The Last Judgment by John Scott.

https://www.google.com/search?q=who+is+ ... Ka1MGF7aJM

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: New To The Group 03/15/2022

Post by Cruiserdude »

This is the image you linked, I'll post the image for ease of viewing:
275898925_5376724425684616_163512018033269755_n.jpg
275898925_5376724425684616_163512018033269755_n.jpg (12.47 KiB) Viewed 809 times
I enjoyed reading your post and extend a welcome to the awesomest little forum on the internets😇😁

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

Thank you for posting and welcome! I have some new research to do now that you mentioned the link of the religious affiliation to the author…I have family who are JW. Thank you.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Welcome, Professor1554. This is emeritus professor of physics, Steven Jones.
I've admired that painting often as we visited the DC Temple - soon to reopen. Will that mural still be there? I hope so.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

That's one of my favorites. I received a framed copy years ago (I think Deseret Book sold it), and I've continued to hang it on my wall at home. The one I have is maybe ~4 feet wide. It has a lot of meaning to me.

Here is a bio of the artist, John Scott >>
pic1ok.jpg
pic1ok.jpg (133.54 KiB) Viewed 736 times

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

I also have the painting on my wall :)

🌻🙏🏻🌺
Welcome Professor1554. :)

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

professor1554 wrote: March 16th, 2022, 2:29 am This evening I was doing some research on the mural painted in the Washington DC Temple called the Last Judgement, by John Scott. Inadvertently I ran across the site for LDS Freedom Forum and found a post by a member named Bridgey (captain of 100) who was looking for a full size copy of the mural that he could purchase. He started the thread
August 14, 2011 at 4:51 am. He must be a night owl like me. There are 22 posts for this search throughout the decade which resulted in satisfactory results, I am sure, for Bridgey, the final thread being dated November 16, 2019 at 9:52 am. Bridgey received responding posts from many of the forum's members supporting him in his search. The clincher came from one member,
Chas Haywood, who was able to definitively provide Bridgey with the information he needed to purchase the artwork on May 30, 2019 at 4:46pm.

Anyway, the reason I am writing so verbosely about this is to introduce you to the fact that I am an avid researcher, and my interests range from A to Z. While I was reading the "Looking For A Picture" post the final few words caught my attention. I quote them here...

"His story of [the] painting is that the church contracted it with an artist who is a Jehovah’s Witness. He painted himself closest to the savior. He was not sure of his wife, so he painted her on both sides of the painting."

I have heard a different version of the story. First of all I have never heard that John Scott was Jehovah's Witness. In fact I have spent many, frustrating hours trying to find out about this guy, because i wanted to make sure my facts were correct before I shared them on this wonderful forum. I have a lot more research to do, but here are a couple of things I do know from my research, and I will provide a link so these can be verified. Forgive me if you already know some of this information.

1) The mural in the Washington DC Temple is a copy of an original work of art...it is a reproduction painted by John Scott, and according to the fact page I found somewhere this evening, which I at the moment can not re-find (I have so many windows open that it's slowing down my computer) - the artist for the original painting is unkown...so if someone can point me in the right direction to find out who John Scott is I would really appreciate.

and 2) The story I heard about the John Scott painting including a self-portrait of himself on the mural was that he was unsure whether he would be on the right hand or left hand side of the Savior, so he painted himself on both sides of the Savior. If you look closely at the mural you will see two gentlemen dressed in a brown suit. You will notice that both of these men are the same person...The individual on the right hand side of the painting, the Savior's left hand side, is on the ground groveling. The person on the left side of the mural, the Savior's right hand side, is in a position of reverence and he looks to be going down to his knees.

Here is a link to the picture i am talking about...
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=53 ... _tn__=EH-R

I hope I did this correctly. I don't know BBCode. The FAQ's about how to attach a picture to a post were confusing, so if I did wrong please forgive me and do whatever is necessary to help me get this picture into the post. It is not my intention to break any rules.

So that's me...Robert...aka professor1554 (yes I used to be a teacher...the story about my nickname is for another day.) If you managed to read this entire thing, God bless you. I look forward to visiting the forum every once in awhile.

Thanks, p1554

PS If you are looking for some great Google Images of the artwork being discussed here, this is the link I regularly use to get a copy of The Last Judgment by John Scott.

https://www.google.com/search?q=who+is+ ... Ka1MGF7aJM
Greetings from the old country and welcome to the forum.
I once took a tour of the Conference Centre in SLC where there is a lot of artwork on display, and was told the artist was a Seventh Day Adventist. Not only did he paint himself into every picture, he appears three times in one of them?