Anyone with personal experiences "detoxing" from antidepressants?

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
Lemarque
captain of 100

Anyone with personal experiences "detoxing" from antidepressants?

Post by Lemarque »

Around 2013 my doctor prescribed me an antidepressant. At the time it helped stabilize my mood, but I definitely could tell that I wasn't able to get to as high of a happiness level as I could before taking them. Over time, and with different doctors, I was prescribed multiple antidepressants and at one point I was on 4 different depression medications at the same time. The week I was on all four I had insane headaches and was to the point I couldn't really do basic life stuff due to the headaches.

At that point I started weaning myself off them and have now been completely off them for about 2.5 years. But I still feel like my mind/brain isn't back to where it was previously in terms of being able to feel happiness, for lack of a better explanation.

Does anyone have experience with what type of detox might be able to fix that? It might wear off eventually by itself, but if there is something I can do to get my brain cleared out faster I'd like to be aware of it.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Anyone with personal experiences "detoxing" from antidepressants?

Post by nightlight »

Lemarque wrote: November 24th, 2021, 12:01 pm Around 2013 my doctor prescribed me an antidepressant. At the time it helped stabilize my mood, but I definitely could tell that I wasn't able to get to as high of a happiness level as I could before taking them. Over time, and with different doctors, I was prescribed multiple antidepressants and at one point I was on 4 different depression medications at the same time. The week I was on all four I had insane headaches and was to the point I couldn't really do basic life stuff due to the headaches.

At that point I started weaning myself off them and have now been completely off them for about 2.5 years. But I still feel like my mind/brain isn't back to where it was previously in terms of being able to feel happiness, for lack of a better explanation.

Does anyone have experience with what type of detox might be able to fix that? It might wear off eventually by itself, but if there is something I can do to get my brain cleared out faster I'd like to be aware of it.
(Praying)
A three day fast
Weight training
Hiking
Etc

If you're not capable of too much physical activity, I'd turn to water aerobics and swimming

Maybe create a strong routine.

Im pretty sure the the detox is already complete, it's just about rebooting chemical balance.

XEmilyX
captain of 1,000

Post by XEmilyX »

I noticed that brain didn't go back to normal because of my forced meds when I was off of them even after 4 months, however I would call Dr gibson in st george he does have an amazing protocol for brain health. It gets rid of toxins and cleanses the brain. It's called nanocell or something. I have it but can't take it with my meds atm.
I also suggest cleansing the body.

LostCreekAcres
captain of 100

Post by LostCreekAcres »

Someone close to me went through similar several years ago. He went through a 5 day fast asking the Lord to help him. He would also get what he referred to as "brain zaps". Fish oil can help with those. Best of luck.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

I highly recommend as you detox the anti-drepessant to get on the chelated Lightning micronutrient supplement from Renovaworldwidecom. I am not a distributor. I can only say this supplement works and it will help you heal from depression.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

I have heard some people recommend saunas/steam baths. Don't overdo it of course...

Warriorprincess
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Warriorprincess »

Look into NAD+ IV infusions. Depending on where you live there should be a provider that will do these.

anonymous91
captain of 100

Post by anonymous91 »

This is a list of things that are helping me, hopefully, they will be useful to you as well.

1. Listening to music. I have different playlists specifically set up depending on what mood I'm in. I prefer metal music though since I personally enjoy it and it really helps me in regulating my mood. The upside with Metal music is that it has more diversity than any other genre I know of. I will say that I think it would only be useful to those who like it or at least are willing to learn to enjoy it. If you aren't sure I suggest checking out the sub-genres of Symphonic Metal or Progressive metal as someone new to the genre.

2- Going on long walks, and just enjoying being outdoors. Not so much right now, since it is freezing, but during the summer months this is very energizing for me.

3- I tried counseling, and it didn't work for me. However, I did find a method that does work for me. It's called Faster EFT. It looks really strange, but it really works. It takes advantage of helping you rewire your brain. You'll have to do some research on it, and practice it for it to really work though. This is one of the more effective techniques that work for me.

4- This is going to sound like a typical Sunday School answer, but it does help. Read & Study Your Scriptures, and Pray every day. I would emphasize that the most important thing about doing these activities is to be consistent (even if it's 3 minutes a day). Second, be actively engaged and do it with your whole heart, mind, and soul. In other words, just don't go through the motions just to check it off of your to-do list.

5- For me, I quit my extremely stressful job, and I now work for myself with a lot less stress. This is making a huge difference for me. Dramatically reducing the stress helped me in many ways, including sleeping better.

6- I take vitamins every day. I would specifically recommend getting a high-quality Multi-Vitamin. You'll also want to find out if you are deficient with any specific vitamins, you're doctor can test your blood and let you know that. I also recommend taking at least 2000mg of Vitamin C and 5000IU of Vitamin D daily as well.

Hopefully, you'll find this short list useful.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

I had a neurologist put me on antidepressants for migraine control. (Effexor) I absolutely hated what it did to my mental state. Everything was gray emotionally. I did not feel anything, even when a close friend died. But, it did help me from getting migraines.

I can tell you that no one should ever quit cold turkey. I did and I felt like I was having lightning flashes throughout my brain. Kind of like trying to focus in an old tv to an antenna and turning the dial very quickly back and forth. A 24 hr period that I was not sure my brain would ever recover.

My husband says that I often talk in incomplete sentences and expect everyone to fill in the blanks. I tell him that I have a form of oral dyslexia and my mind is simply thinking faster than my mouth can produce sound, leaving the words to tumble out into randomness . (brilliant thoughts that never make it to the surface)

go off the meds slowly!

ImBored
captain of 100

Post by ImBored »

I have a friend who had been on many meds for decades and who had been seeking the Face of the Lord for many years. He worked diligently with his doctors to cut back his intake recognizing his addiction. He cleansed his body frequently with fasting and water. Then the glorious day happened. When he stood before Jesus He told him that because he was now clean He could bring him into His presence. Just some additional motivation for you.

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

Momma J wrote: January 20th, 2022, 12:52 pm I had a neurologist put me on antidepressants for migraine control. (Effexor) I absolutely hated what it did to my mental state. Everything was gray emotionally. I did not feel anything, even when a close friend died. But, it did help me from getting migraines.

I can tell you that no one should ever quit cold turkey. I did and I felt like I was having lightning flashes throughout my brain. Kind of like trying to focus in an old tv to an antenna and turning the dial very quickly back and forth. A 24 hr period that I was not sure my brain would ever recover.

My husband says that I often talk in incomplete sentences and expect everyone to fill in the blanks. I tell him that I have a form of oral dyslexia and my mind is simply thinking faster than my mouth can produce sound, leaving the words to tumble out into randomness . (brilliant thoughts that never make it to the surface)

go off the meds slowly!
"Oral dyslexia" ...lol...is this even a real definition because I do the same darn thing? I can see the sentence in my mind and I think I say it until someone looks at me funny with a "Come again?" look on their face.

And yes, "lightening flashes" or brain zaps are a very real and very frustrating thing coming off of some meds. Been there, done that, never again.

XEmilyX
captain of 1,000

Post by XEmilyX »

Dr shulze has a detox cleanse for the body that does get rid of toxins. I feel sooo much better!!! Do the colon cleanse #1and #2

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Anyone remember this campaign to “Just say no!!”…?

It was always assumed those we would say no to would be back-alley drug-dealers, not professional doctor (glorified drug dealers).

Our bodies & minds (which influence each other) are created by Intelligent Design. What deception to suggest that some therapist GUESSING about our complex nervous system knows more! Overall, the rampant push for & succumbing to antidepressants is harming more than helping - physically, psychologically, spiritually & socially.

The trouble with antidepressants: why the evidence overplays benefits and underplays risks
https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3200

Depression may be external factors/people de-pressing you. If so, then pills may make things worse by numbing u when u really need to be alert to make needed changes. Also, trials are given so we turn to God for help & thereby become stronger. Numbing apathetic-causing drugs counter that divine purpose.

Of course, if someone is at risk of suicide or other major harm, maybe try more extreme measures like drugging them up - but it shouldn’t be a casual, permanent decision, IMO.