Tree of Life Information Needed

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

Re: Tree of Life Information Needed

Post by SJR3t2 »

sandman45 wrote: February 17th, 2022, 2:35 pm I recall seeing something somewhere that explained trees = people or a man and woman? It was from a Hebrew explanation on the creation and what the tree of life was. It might actually be linked in the forums here
yes and I quote it in my post https://seekingyhwh.org/2021/12/08/tree ... -chiasmus/

sandman45
captain of 1,000

Post by sandman45 »

SJR3t2 wrote: February 17th, 2022, 5:53 pm
sandman45 wrote: February 17th, 2022, 2:35 pm I recall seeing something somewhere that explained trees = people or a man and woman? It was from a Hebrew explanation on the creation and what the tree of life was. It might actually be linked in the forums here
yes and I quote it in my post https://seekingyhwh.org/2021/12/08/tree ... -chiasmus/
Awesome ! Yes thanks I’ll have to go through your post 👏

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

SJR3t2 wrote: February 17th, 2022, 5:52 pm
Dusty Wanderer wrote: February 17th, 2022, 1:33 pm
SJR3t2 wrote: February 11th, 2022, 8:51 am
Teancum wrote: February 11th, 2022, 8:36 am
There is no indication that the 'man in a white robe' (a deceptive appearance of authority or power - remember the devil's answer about his own robe) was The Lord or any of His angels. Contrary, it stands to reason that he knew the difference between a man and the glory and power of the Lord or even the Holy Ghost (remember his vision in Jerusalem) as he traveled through a dark and dreary waste for hours - thus being led astray by a false leader or deceiving spirit, he would naturally pray for deliverance. Which upon doing, was then shown the tree of life (i.e. delivered).
Yes there is and I explain it in the post. Please point to any verse where Satan wears a white rob.

Not answering for Teancum, just thought I'd share something that occurred to me as I read the above.

There is the account in 3 Nephi 11:8 where Christ descends in His white robe, so I get that. And I'm not aware of anywhere calling out explicitly satan in a white robe. However, it also says that they "thought it was an angel", until He said who He was and confirmed what they had heard the "voice as if it came out of heaven" say to their burning hearts about Him.

Another interesting verse to me is this one from 2 Nephi about the devil impersonating an angel of light. Note the reference to "our first parents", which context seems to also be related to Lehi's vision (see my parallel #1 in my post above). Not saying this is conclusive of the man in the white robe in his vision, just an interesting correlation to consider.

2 Nephi 9
9 And our spirits must have become like unto him, and we become devils, angels to a devil, to be shut out from the presence of our God, and to remain with the father of lies, in misery, like unto himself; yea, to that being who beguiled our first parents, who transformeth himself nigh unto an angel of light, and stirreth up the children of men unto secret combinations of murder and all manner of secret works of darkness.
D&C 128
... The voice of Michael on the banks of the Susquehanna, detecting the devil when he appeared as an angel of light!
These are nothing about a white rob ...
Yeah, as a literal occurrence, I know. I stated as much myself.
Not saying this is conclusive of the man in the white robe in his vision, just an interesting correlation to consider.
Last edited by Dusty Wanderer on February 17th, 2022, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

SJR3t2 wrote: February 10th, 2022, 8:18 am Here is something I wrote.

After Lehi followed Yeshua/Jesus, Lehi figured out that he WAS already in the same dark and dreary waste and prayed for mercy.
https://seekingyhwh.org/2021/12/08/tree ... -chiasmus/
I read your post on the chiastic structure of the text and found it insightful. Thanks for sharing it.

If your position is that the man in the white robe must be the Lord or an angel because it’s on the same stanza level as Lehi’s petition to the Lord for mercy, then I would initially disagree, though, not conclusively.

I actually think your modeling could show the opposite, seeing as the man in the white robe is on the same stanza level as the many hours spent in darkness. Once Lehi realizes this, he calls upon someone other than the man in the white robe for mercy (the Lord). This could be why E9 and E10 are on the same stanza level as the darkness, mercy being what he needs for deliverance from his condition. Again, just a thought.

Edit: don't we see something similar occurring in Moses' account in the PoGP and Joseph Smith's first vision account. It's once they realize that they are in Satan's presence, have seen him for what he is and are not deceived, that they call out for mercy and deliverance, and then receive a grand vision.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Post by darknesstolight »

Check out Yggdrasil

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Jack and the Bean Stalk

Not obvious but it has connections

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Trees are often depicted to look like magic mushrooms.

SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

Post by SJR3t2 »

Dusty Wanderer wrote: February 17th, 2022, 7:43 pm
SJR3t2 wrote: February 10th, 2022, 8:18 am Here is something I wrote.

After Lehi followed Yeshua/Jesus, Lehi figured out that he WAS already in the same dark and dreary waste and prayed for mercy.
https://seekingyhwh.org/2021/12/08/tree ... -chiasmus/
I read your post on the chiastic structure of the text and found it insightful. Thanks for sharing it.

If your position is that the man in the white robe must be the Lord or an angel because it’s on the same stanza level as Lehi’s petition to the Lord for mercy, then I would initially disagree, though, not conclusively.

I actually think your modeling could show the opposite, seeing as the man in the white robe is on the same stanza level as the many hours spent in darkness. Once Lehi realizes this, he calls upon someone other than the man in the white robe for mercy (the Lord). This could be why E9 and E10 are on the same stanza level as the darkness, mercy being what he needs for deliverance from his condition. Again, just a thought.

Edit: don't we see something similar occurring in Moses' account in the PoGP and Joseph Smith's first vision account. It's once they realize that they are in Satan's presence, have seen him for what he is and are not deceived, that they call out for mercy and deliverance, and then receive a grand vision.
No one realizes they are in darkness until after they start following Yeshua.

Not to mention how white rob is used consistently through out the scriptures, not to mention John the beloved in Nephi's Tree of Life vision.

Moses saw satan and said where is your glory why should I worship you. If you have a verse of what you are implying of Moses from the Book of Moses it will be interesting to see, because I remember it differently.

bbsion
captain of 100

Post by bbsion »

I have a website and a 1 minute teaser trailer for anyone that wants to check it out! I am excited for this. There is more good stuff coming!

https://thetreedocumentary.com/

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

darknesstolight wrote: February 17th, 2022, 8:03 pm Check out Yggdrasil

I was just going to post this!
Also see: Kabbalistic Tree of Life and also sacred geometry: Tree of Life

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxserp=0

It all ties together. Amazing stuff.

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

The Tree of Life Poem.png
The Tree of Life Poem.png (794.03 KiB) Viewed 358 times

ILiveIDieILiveAgain
captain of 100

Post by ILiveIDieILiveAgain »

The tree of life is a fundamental archetype in many of the world's mythologies, religious, and philosophical traditions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_of_life

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

Grasping the Iron Rod 1.png
Grasping the Iron Rod 1.png (106.59 KiB) Viewed 321 times

DJB
captain of 100

Post by DJB »

bbsion wrote: February 9th, 2022, 4:46 pm I am working on a project, so I am looking for any resources regarding the vision of the Tree of Life. Any information would be greatly appreciated. If you know any experts, professors, books, websites, videos, art, etc.

I would like to interview some people with some name recognition too. Please PM if you are okay to share their phone numbers so I can call them. (That's not against the rules of the forum right?)

Also, if you have some personal insight into the interpretations of the dreams. Links to some scriptures, personal testimonies/dreams relating to the topic, etc., then drop it in the comments on this thread or PM me. I obviously know where to find the actual dreams in 1st Nephi and have been searching for other scriptures. I founds several in Revelations, Genesis, and so forth.

This has been one of my favorite stories/dreams/visions in all of scriptures so I want this project to be really good.

Thanks everyone!
I’ve had the vision myself only a little different. Are you wanting peoples personal experience’s regarding the vision, or scripture references? If you want my personal vision, I can PM you.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

bbsion wrote: July 13th, 2022, 11:47 am I have a website and a 1 minute teaser trailer for anyone that wants to check it out! I am excited for this. There is more good stuff coming!

Thanks for sharing.

I see you included the Tree of Life from Nine Mile Canyon. Nice!

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

bbsion wrote: February 9th, 2022, 4:46 pm I am working on a project, so I am looking for any resources regarding the vision of the Tree of Life.
Did you explore the similarities from the dream/vision of Nephi & Lehi to that of Joseph Smith Sr?
"I thought," said he, "I was traveling in an open, desolate field, which appeared to be very barren. As I was thus traveling, the thought suddenly came into my mind that I had better stop and reflect upon what I was doing, before I went any farther. So I asked myself, 'What motive can I have in traveling here, and what place can this be?' My guide, who was by my side, as before, said, 'This is the desolate world; but travel on.' The road was so broad and barren that I wondered why I should travel in it; for, said I to myself, 'Broad is the road, and wide is the gate that leads to death, and many there be that walk therein; but narrow is the way, and strait is the gate that leads to everlasting life, and few there be that go in thereat.' Traveling a short distance further, I came to a narrow path. This path I entered, and, when I had traveled a little way in it, I beheld a beautiful stream of water, which ran from the east to the west. Of this stream, I could see neither the source nor yet the mouth; but as far as my eyes could extend I could see a rope, running along the bank of it, about as high as a man could reach, and beyond me was a low, but very pleasant valley, in which stood a tree such as I had never seen before. It was exceedingly handsome, insomuch that I looked upon it with wonder and admiration. Its beautiful branches spread themselves somewhat like an umbrella, and it bore a kind of fruit, in shape much like a chestnut bur, and as white as snow, or, if possible, whiter. I gazed upon the same with considerable interest, and as I was doing so, the burs or shells commenced opening and shedding their particles, or the fruit which they contained, which was of dazzling whiteness. I drew near and began to eat of it, and I found it delicious beyond description. As I was eating, I said in my heart, 'I cannot eat this alone, I must bring my wife and children, that they may partake with me.' Accordingly, I went and brought my family, which consisted of a wife and seven children, and we all commenced eating and praising God for this blessing. We were exceedingly happy, insomuch that our joy could not easily be expressed. While thus engaged, I beheld a spacious building standing opposite the valley which we were in, and it appeared to reach to the very heavens. It was full of doors and windows, and they were all filled with people, who were very finely dressed. When these people observed us in the low valley, under the tree, they pointed the finger of scorn at us, and treated us with all manner of disrespect and contempt. But their contumely we utterly disregarded. I presently turned to my guide and inquired of him the meaning of the fruit that was so delicious. He told me it was the pure love of God, shed abroad in the hearts of all those who love him, and keep his commandments. He then commanded me to go and bring the rest of my children. I told him that we were all there. 'No,' he replied, 'look yonder, you have two more, and you must bring them also.' Upon raising my eyes, I saw two small children, standing some distance off. I immediately went to them, and brought them to the tree; upon which they commenced eating with the rest, and we all rejoiced together. The more we ate, the more we seemed to desire, until we even got down upon our knees and scooped it up, eating it by double handfuls. After feasting in this manner a short time, I asked my guide what was the meaning of the spacious building which I saw. He replied, 'It is Babylon, it is Babylon, and it must fall. The people in the doors and windows are the inhabitants thereof, who scorn and despise the Saints of God because of their humility.' I soon awoke, clapping my hands together for joy."

Vision of Joseph Smith, Sr., 1811, History of Joseph Smith by his Mother, Lucy Mack Smith.

DJB
captain of 100

Post by DJB »

Creator wrote: July 14th, 2022, 10:34 am
bbsion wrote: February 9th, 2022, 4:46 pm I am working on a project, so I am looking for any resources regarding the vision of the Tree of Life.
Did you explore the similarities from the dream/vision of Nephi & Lehi to that of Joseph Smith Sr?
"I thought," said he, "I was traveling in an open, desolate field, which appeared to be very barren. As I was thus traveling, the thought suddenly came into my mind that I had better stop and reflect upon what I was doing, before I went any farther. So I asked myself, 'What motive can I have in traveling here, and what place can this be?' My guide, who was by my side, as before, said, 'This is the desolate world; but travel on.' The road was so broad and barren that I wondered why I should travel in it; for, said I to myself, 'Broad is the road, and wide is the gate that leads to death, and many there be that walk therein; but narrow is the way, and strait is the gate that leads to everlasting life, and few there be that go in thereat.' Traveling a short distance further, I came to a narrow path. This path I entered, and, when I had traveled a little way in it, I beheld a beautiful stream of water, which ran from the east to the west. Of this stream, I could see neither the source nor yet the mouth; but as far as my eyes could extend I could see a rope, running along the bank of it, about as high as a man could reach, and beyond me was a low, but very pleasant valley, in which stood a tree such as I had never seen before. It was exceedingly handsome, insomuch that I looked upon it with wonder and admiration. Its beautiful branches spread themselves somewhat like an umbrella, and it bore a kind of fruit, in shape much like a chestnut bur, and as white as snow, or, if possible, whiter. I gazed upon the same with considerable interest, and as I was doing so, the burs or shells commenced opening and shedding their particles, or the fruit which they contained, which was of dazzling whiteness. I drew near and began to eat of it, and I found it delicious beyond description. As I was eating, I said in my heart, 'I cannot eat this alone, I must bring my wife and children, that they may partake with me.' Accordingly, I went and brought my family, which consisted of a wife and seven children, and we all commenced eating and praising God for this blessing. We were exceedingly happy, insomuch that our joy could not easily be expressed. While thus engaged, I beheld a spacious building standing opposite the valley which we were in, and it appeared to reach to the very heavens. It was full of doors and windows, and they were all filled with people, who were very finely dressed. When these people observed us in the low valley, under the tree, they pointed the finger of scorn at us, and treated us with all manner of disrespect and contempt. But their contumely we utterly disregarded. I presently turned to my guide and inquired of him the meaning of the fruit that was so delicious. He told me it was the pure love of God, shed abroad in the hearts of all those who love him, and keep his commandments. He then commanded me to go and bring the rest of my children. I told him that we were all there. 'No,' he replied, 'look yonder, you have two more, and you must bring them also.' Upon raising my eyes, I saw two small children, standing some distance off. I immediately went to them, and brought them to the tree; upon which they commenced eating with the rest, and we all rejoiced together. The more we ate, the more we seemed to desire, until we even got down upon our knees and scooped it up, eating it by double handfuls. After feasting in this manner a short time, I asked my guide what was the meaning of the spacious building which I saw. He replied, 'It is Babylon, it is Babylon, and it must fall. The people in the doors and windows are the inhabitants thereof, who scorn and despise the Saints of God because of their humility.' I soon awoke, clapping my hands together for joy."

Vision of Joseph Smith, Sr., 1811, History of Joseph Smith by his Mother, Lucy Mack Smith.
Thanks for this. I never heard Joseph Smith Sr had the vision. Cool!!

bbsion
captain of 100

Post by bbsion »

DJB wrote: July 13th, 2022, 11:30 pm
bbsion wrote: February 9th, 2022, 4:46 pm I am working on a project, so I am looking for any resources regarding the vision of the Tree of Life. Any information would be greatly appreciated. If you know any experts, professors, books, websites, videos, art, etc.

I would like to interview some people with some name recognition too. Please PM if you are okay to share their phone numbers so I can call them. (That's not against the rules of the forum right?)

Also, if you have some personal insight into the interpretations of the dreams. Links to some scriptures, personal testimonies/dreams relating to the topic, etc., then drop it in the comments on this thread or PM me. I obviously know where to find the actual dreams in 1st Nephi and have been searching for other scriptures. I founds several in Revelations, Genesis, and so forth.

This has been one of my favorite stories/dreams/visions in all of scriptures so I want this project to be really good.

Thanks everyone!
Yes, you can PM me for sure, I'd love to hear it!

I’ve had the vision myself only a little different. Are you wanting peoples personal experience’s regarding the vision, or scripture references? If you want my personal vision, I can PM you.

bbsion
captain of 100

Post by bbsion »

Creator wrote: July 14th, 2022, 10:34 am

I have explored that actually! I found Joseph Smith Sr.'s account in the book "History of Joseph Smith" by his mother Lucy Mack Smith. That was the first time I had heard about Joseph Sr. seeing the vision. I've thought about how to incorporate it into the documentary. One guy I was talking to about it said that it kind of makes it look like Joseph Smith Jr. just stole his dads dream and put it into the BOM. To me though, Joseph Sr.'s dream just validates the authenticity of the BOM and the dream itself.

bbsion
captain of 100

Post by bbsion »

I have appreciated a lot of the input from this thread. I've been able to add more content to the documentary because of it. I wanted to ask for some more help though. There are two things I've been needing recently for the film. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. I really feel like this is a project that can help people navigate the mists and avoid the great and spacious in todays world. Most importantly bring more people to Christ. The two things I've been needing are these:

1 - If you have any information as to how to contact some individuals that I could interview. I've tried contacting a few professors at BYU that do not answer. I've tried anyone in the 12 or first presidency (that's a massive longshot). I've tried John Bytheway and he has not responded. It would be awesome to get John since he wrote a book about it and has a decent size following. I want this film to reach more people so I thought it would help to have some individuals who are well known (not necessary though). I know a guy that's helping me to get interviews with Thurl Bailey and Alex Boye. But we will see how that turns out.

2 - If you can help me get a meeting with anyone that could help with funding for the film. There are a few things that I think would add great value to the film but I cannot go any further on them without some funding. I've put my own money into it so far but I am a bit limited. I know it's not a good idea or it's probably against forum rules to "advertise" anything. I'm not trying to do that and I am sorry if this was against any rules. Just let me know and I can edit my comment.

I thought about creating a new thread for this because it would likely garner more attention. But we will see.

Thank you in advance for any help! Feel free to PM me.