Tree of Life Information Needed

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
bbsion
captain of 100

Tree of Life Information Needed

Post by bbsion »

I am working on a project, so I am looking for any resources regarding the vision of the Tree of Life. Any information would be greatly appreciated. If you know any experts, professors, books, websites, videos, art, etc.

I would like to interview some people with some name recognition too. Please PM if you are okay to share their phone numbers so I can call them. (That's not against the rules of the forum right?)

Also, if you have some personal insight into the interpretations of the dreams. Links to some scriptures, personal testimonies/dreams relating to the topic, etc., then drop it in the comments on this thread or PM me. I obviously know where to find the actual dreams in 1st Nephi and have been searching for other scriptures. I founds several in Revelations, Genesis, and so forth.

This has been one of my favorite stories/dreams/visions in all of scriptures so I want this project to be really good.

Thanks everyone!

bbsion
captain of 100

Re: Tree of Life Information Needed

Post by bbsion »

I'm bumping this because I really want some sort of response. Does no one have anything regarding this topic they could share with me? :)

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Jesus was nailed to a tree.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

https://youtu.be/q4quYBKS6Po

Here is an interesting portrayal of the tree of life in a Johnny Cash gospel song. I do not believe that the tree is mentioned in the Bible outside the reference to Eden and the tree of knowledge, and that they were cast out before they could partake of the tree of life and "live forever in their sins". So I was surprised to see a sectarian reference to the tree, with a fairly accurate symbolic portrayal here.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

I do recall seeing an excellent discourse on the tree of life in a Mormon apologetic a few years back on internal evidences of the Book of Mormon, outlining how the image and symbol of the tree of life is found in so many ancient cultures and languages, and that the BofM account is perfectly in line with those cultural accounts and the appearance of the symbol complete with the flowing river and fountain, etc found in ancient petroglyphs, etc. I wish I had the link. Maybe I can find it.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

Hope these links help, somewhat.

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

The Tree of Life resembles a human placenta.

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Post by Lexew1899 »

I always liked this video about the Tree of Life…

Teancum
captain of 100

Post by Teancum »

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... n-of-eden/
https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/vie ... ntext=jbms
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... s?lang=eng

Some curious parallels:

(1) It's when they return with their wives that Lehi shares his vision of the tree of life.
“which gave an account of the creation of the world, and also of Adam and Eve”. (1Nephi 5:10-11)

“not good that man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.” (Gen. 2:18)

“it was not meet for him, Lehi, to take his family into the wilderness alone; but that his sons should take daughters to wife, that they may raise up seed unto the Lord” (1Nephi 7:1)
--

(2) Some say this one is a stretch. Maybe it is - need to look into it more.
"I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself." (Gen. 3:9-10)

"they had partaken of the fruit of the tree they did cast their eyes about as if they were ashamed", "after they had tasted of the fruit they were ashamed, ... they fell away into forbidden paths and were lost." (1Nephi 8:25,28)
--

(3) Justice of God
"a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life." (Gen. 3:24)

"justice of God did also divide the wicked from the righteous; ... a flaming fire which ascendeth up unto God forever and ever, " (1Nep. 15:30)

"demands of divine justice... like an unquenchable fire, whose flame ascendeth up forever and ever." (Mosiah 2:38)
--

ParticleMan
captain of 100

Post by ParticleMan »

Hugh Nibley, such as "Lecture 12 - Book of Mormon - 1 Nephi 8-11 The Tree of Life":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GXGQLuKaao

Authors such as Bowen, Bradshaw, Calabro, Tvedtnes:
https://interpreterfoundation.org/?s=tree+of+life

KnoWhys, such as:
https://knowhy.bookofmormoncentral.org/ ... h-smith-sr

SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

Post by SJR3t2 »

Here is something I wrote.

After Lehi followed Yeshua/Jesus, Lehi figured out that he WAS already in the same dark and dreary waste and prayed for mercy.
https://seekingyhwh.org/2021/12/08/tree ... -chiasmus/

Teancum
captain of 100

Post by Teancum »

SJR3t2 wrote: February 10th, 2022, 8:18 am Here is something I wrote.

After Lehi followed Yeshua/Jesus, Lehi figured out that he WAS already in the same dark and dreary waste and prayed for mercy.
There is no indication that the 'man in a white robe' (a deceptive appearance of authority or power - remember the devil's answer about his own robe) was The Lord or any of His angels. Contrary, it stands to reason that he knew the difference between a man and the glory and power of the Lord or even the Holy Ghost (remember his vision in Jerusalem) as he traveled through a dark and dreary waste for hours - thus being led astray by a false leader or deceiving spirit, he would naturally pray for deliverance. Which upon doing, was then shown the tree of life (i.e. delivered).

SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

Post by SJR3t2 »

Teancum wrote: February 11th, 2022, 8:36 am

There is no indication that the 'man in a white robe' (a deceptive appearance of authority or power - remember the devil's answer about his own robe) was The Lord or any of His angels. Contrary, it stands to reason that he knew the difference between a man and the glory and power of the Lord or even the Holy Ghost (remember his vision in Jerusalem) as he traveled through a dark and dreary waste for hours - thus being led astray by a false leader or deceiving spirit, he would naturally pray for deliverance. Which upon doing, was then shown the tree of life (i.e. delivered).
Yes there is and I explain it in the post. Please point to any verse where Satan wears a white rob.
While following the angel of YHWH he discovered he already was in the dark and dreary waste. Just as we don't discover it ourselves until we start following Yeshua.

Holy Ghost/Spirit is not a personage.

IT
2 Nephi (LDS 33:2) (RLDS 15:2) But behold, there are many that DARDEN their HEARTS against the HOLY SPIRIT, that IT hath no place in them; wherefore, they cast many things away which are written and esteem them as things of naught.
2 Nephi (LDS 31:8-9) (RLDS 13:10-11)
8 Wherefore, after he was baptized with water the HOLY GHOST DESCENDED upon him in the form of a DOVE. 9 And again, IT showeth unto the children of men the straitness of the path, and the narrowness of the gate, by which they should enter, he [Jesus] having set the example before them.
2 Nephi (LDS 32:5) (RLDS 14:6) For behold, again I say unto you that if ye will enter in by the way, and RECEIVE the HOLY GHOST, IT will SHOW unto you all things what ye SHOULD DO.
Alma (LDS 34:38) (RLDS 16:237-238) That ye CONTEND no more against the HOLY GHOST, but that ye RECEIVE IT, and take upon you the name of Christ; that ye humble yourselves even to the dust, and worship God, in whatsoever place ye may be in, in spirit and in truth; and that ye live in thanksgiving daily, for the many mercies and blessings which he doth bestow upon you.
Alma (LDS 39:6) (RLDS 19:8-9) For behold, if ye DENY the HOLY GHOST when IT once has had place in you, and ye know that ye deny IT, behold, this is a sin which is unpardonable; yea, and whosoever murdereth against the light and knowledge of God, it is not easy for him to obtain forgiveness; yea, I say unto you, my son, that it is not easy for him to obtain a forgiveness.
Moroni (LDS 2:2) (RLDS 2:2) And he called them by name, saying: Ye shall call on the Father in my name, in mighty prayer; and after ye have done this ye shall have power that to him upon whom ye shall lay your hands, ye shall GIVE the HOLY GHOST; and in my name shall ye give IT, for thus do mine apostles.
https://seekingyhwh.org/2019/06/09/the- ... -the-same/

https://seekingyhwh.org/lectures-on-faith/

https://seekingyhwh.org/resources/holy-spirit/

whitesalamander
captain of 50

Post by whitesalamander »

Information regarding dreams occurring to Lucy Mack Smith and Joseph Smith Sr. Joseph Smith Sr. related a "Tree of Life" dream.

https://sunstone.org/wp-content/uploads ... -22-29.pdf

Baurak Ale
Nauvoo Legion Captain

Post by Baurak Ale »

An alternative interpretation of some symbols in Lehi's dream (including the tree of life) here: https://theology.science.blog/2020/04/2 ... in-heaven/

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

bbsion
captain of 100

Post by bbsion »

Thank you everyone that commented. I am still going through a lot of the information, watching the videos and reading. These are some awesome insights! Feel free to comment with more insights as they come though. This project keeps expanding with all the information.

bbsion
captain of 100

Post by bbsion »

Teancum wrote: February 9th, 2022, 7:50 pm
Do you know where these petroglyphs are located? The closest I can find is 9 Mile Canyon in Utah. But I'd like to drive straight to this petroglyph.

Teancum
captain of 100

Post by Teancum »

bbsion wrote: February 17th, 2022, 11:17 am
Teancum wrote: February 9th, 2022, 7:50 pm
Do you know where these petroglyphs are located? The closest I can find is 9 Mile Canyon in Utah. But I'd like to drive straight to this petroglyph.
Yes I know precisely where it is at. I have taken forum members there and shown them this one as well as other related petroglyph panels and ruins in the area. If you are interested in having me take you, P.M. me and we will discuss it further.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

SJR3t2 wrote: February 11th, 2022, 8:51 am

Yes there is and I explain it in the post. Please point to any verse where Satan wears a white rob.

Not answering for Teancum, just thought I'd share something that occurred to me as I read the above.

There is the account in 3 Nephi 11:8 where Christ descends in His white robe, so I get that. And I'm not aware of anywhere calling out explicitly satan in a white robe. However, it also says that they "thought it was an angel", until He said who He was and confirmed what they had heard the "voice as if it came out of heaven" say to their burning hearts about Him.

Another interesting verse to me is this one from 2 Nephi about the devil impersonating an angel of light. Note the reference to "our first parents", which context seems to also be related to Lehi's vision (see my parallel #1 in my post above). Not saying this is conclusive of the man in the white robe in his vision, just an interesting correlation to consider.

2 Nephi 9
9 And our spirits must have become like unto him, and we become devils, angels to a devil, to be shut out from the presence of our God, and to remain with the father of lies, in misery, like unto himself; yea, to that being who beguiled our first parents, who transformeth himself nigh unto an angel of light, and stirreth up the children of men unto secret combinations of murder and all manner of secret works of darkness.
D&C 128
... The voice of Michael on the banks of the Susquehanna, detecting the devil when he appeared as an angel of light!

sandman45
captain of 1,000

Post by sandman45 »

I recall seeing something somewhere that explained trees = people or a man and woman? It was from a Hebrew explanation on the creation and what the tree of life was. It might actually be linked in the forums here

SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

Post by SJR3t2 »

Dusty Wanderer wrote: February 17th, 2022, 1:33 pm
SJR3t2 wrote: February 11th, 2022, 8:51 am

Not answering for Teancum, just thought I'd share something that occurred to me as I read the above.

There is the account in 3 Nephi 11:8 where Christ descends in His white robe, so I get that. And I'm not aware of anywhere calling out explicitly satan in a white robe. However, it also says that they "thought it was an angel", until He said who He was and confirmed what they had heard the "voice as if it came out of heaven" say to their burning hearts about Him.

Another interesting verse to me is this one from 2 Nephi about the devil impersonating an angel of light. Note the reference to "our first parents", which context seems to also be related to Lehi's vision (see my parallel #1 in my post above). Not saying this is conclusive of the man in the white robe in his vision, just an interesting correlation to consider.

2 Nephi 9
9 And our spirits must have become like unto him, and we become devils, angels to a devil, to be shut out from the presence of our God, and to remain with the father of lies, in misery, like unto himself; yea, to that being who beguiled our first parents, who transformeth himself nigh unto an angel of light, and stirreth up the children of men unto secret combinations of murder and all manner of secret works of darkness.
D&C 128
... The voice of Michael on the banks of the Susquehanna, detecting the devil when he appeared as an angel of light!
These are nothing about a white rob ...