April 2022 General Conference Announcement

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

April 2022 General Conference Announcement

Post by Subcomandante »

First Presidency wrote:Dear Brothers and Sisters:

We are pleased to announce the upcoming 192nd Annual General Conference. The First Presidency, members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, and other General Authorities and General Officers of the Church will share messages of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

We invite all women and young women (including those who turn 12 in 2022) to participate in a “Women’s Session of General Conference,” which will be held the evening of Saturday, April 2. General sessions for all individuals, families, and friends will be held on Saturday and Sunday, April 2 and 3.

The conference will be broadcast on the Church satellite system, ChurchofJesusChrist.org, and other media. In-person attendance at the general conference sessions will be limited due to the extensive construction taking place on and around Temple Square; however, a limited number of tickets will be distributed to stakes and districts in the United States and Canada. Decisions about gathering to watch general conference in meetinghouses will be left to the discretion of local leaders.

General conference provides an opportunity to receive personal revelation as living prophets and other general Church leaders give counsel and direction. We encourage members to listen to, study, and apply the counsel given. The general conference messages will be published on the Gospel Library app, on ChurchofJesusChrist.org, and in Church magazines for further viewing and study.

Sincerely yours,

Russell M. Nelson
Dallin H. Oaks
Henry B. Eyring
Interesting. Conference will be open to the public in April, however, seating will be limited due to the construction in Temple Square.

Nothing about vaccines or masks, yet. That at least is a positive.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: April 2022 General Conference Announcement

Post by endlessQuestions »

General conference provides an opportunity to receive personal revelation as living prophets and other general Church leaders give counsel and direction
I find the words used here interesting…

Lemarque
captain of 100

Post by Lemarque »

I thought they got rid of the Women's session?

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

endlessismyname wrote: February 11th, 2022, 11:00 am
General conference provides an opportunity to receive personal revelation as living prophets and other general Church leaders give counsel and direction
How so?

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Lemarque wrote: February 11th, 2022, 11:02 am I thought they got rid of the Women's session?
Yeah, looks like Saturday night M/F sessions are back.

guardian
captain of 10

Post by guardian »

JohnnyL wrote: February 11th, 2022, 11:33 am
Lemarque wrote: February 11th, 2022, 11:02 am I thought they got rid of the Women's session?
Or they've finally just replaced the Priesthood Session altogether. April had been priesthood and October had been women's. Interesting how fast and furious revelation is coming these days. Except that it's always a new revelation overturning one that was given a short time before.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

guardian wrote: February 11th, 2022, 11:46 am
Or they've finally just replaced the Priesthood Session altogether. April had been priesthood and October had been women's. Interesting how fast and furious revelation is coming these days. Except that it's always a new revelation overturning one that was given a short time before.
Maybe they were testing things out.

Maybe, lol, the bickering about having to go to Women's meeting on Saturday night stopped as the women realized how special it was?

OPMissionary
captain of 100

Post by OPMissionary »

They changed their mind like 3 times about this. First they did away with the Saturday evening session. Then they brought it back but it was gender neutral. Now they're just going back to what it was, apparently. Every time they said it was an "inspired change" and/or "continuing revelation."

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Here is what they said about restoring the Saturday evening session last October:

“ Beginning with the October 2021 semiannual general conference, the Saturday evening session will be continued. All members and friends of the Church are invited to view this session. It will not have a specific theme, nor will it be intended for any particular demographic or leadership group. Holding this session will allow for more gospel topics to be taught and permit more general leaders to address the conference.”

Lemarque
captain of 100

Post by Lemarque »

OPMissionary wrote: February 11th, 2022, 11:53 am
They changed their mind like 3 times about this. First they did away with the Saturday evening session. Then they brought it back but it was gender neutral. Now they're just going back to what it was, apparently. Every time they said it was an "inspired change" and/or "continuing revelation."
I just find it weird that there is no reference at all to the previous changes to the Saturday evening session, considering this is a change from what they said before.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

Me, too.

our personal revelation = their counsel and direction

Precepts
captain of 50

Post by Precepts »

Reminds me of this from a talk by Vaughn J Featherston called "Food Storage":

"President Henry D. Moyle suggested that when someone speaks we ought to get three things out of the message. First and least important (but still very important), we ought to get what is said. Second, and more important, we ought to have a spiritual experience. Third, and most important, we should keep the commitments we make to ourselves. Let’s write them down and follow through. Don’t ever make a commitment to yourself you don’t intend to keep—if you do, you weaken your character."

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

It seems that the leadership continues to tinker about the best way to get General Conference to the people yet it seems to me that they are shooting darts in the dark.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

OPMissionary wrote: February 11th, 2022, 11:53 am
Well according to Keith Erekson, prophets “explore paths that don’t work out”, so cut them some slack at least.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

oneClimbs wrote: February 11th, 2022, 11:19 am
How so?
Your revelation stops where their revelation begins. That's not satire btw. Three apostles have stated on video that we can receive "personal" revelation, but that it shouldn't contradict the PSRs.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

I'm glad we have Gen Conf every 6 months - it gives us a clearer picture of how Q15 view the world's conditions - particularly the use of masks and a "fully vaccinated" choir, etc.
It is telling that there is NO mention of MASKS or Vaccine status in the April 2022 Conference announcement. (Stay tuned.)

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

I thought the same thing when I read it. And the following statement ("We encourage members to listen to, study, and apply the counsel given.") is also fine of itself, it just seemed to be missing something. I recall previous announcements including something like "prayerfully", "prayerfully consider", "the Spirit will confirm...", or things along those lines, too.

Perhaps I'm off base. So I decided to go look at the previous few General Conference letters/announcements to see the wording there. I went to the Official Communication Library at letters.lds.org and this latest letter is, of course, at the top. ("good", I thought, "I'm in the right place") But while I'm able to find previous communications back to 2018, none of the previous General Conference letters are there.

Can anyone else find any previous Annual General Conference letters anywhere? I'm going to try internet search engines now, but thought I'd ask. I'm sure it's nothing, just curious to compare wording.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

BroJones wrote: February 11th, 2022, 1:11 pm I'm glad we have Gen Conf every 6 months - it gives us a clearer picture of how Q15 view the world's conditions - particularly the use of masks and a "fully vaccinated" choir, etc.
It is telling that there is NO mention of MASKS or Vaccine status in the April 2022 Conference announcement. (Stay tuned.)
Leading from behind once again. That seems to be the only consistent thing we get these days.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

oneClimbs wrote: February 11th, 2022, 11:19 am
How so?
I would like it if my prophets gave more than just counsel and direction. Maybe it’s just me?

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

So when do speculations of what's going to be announced begin? 😂😂 Dang I can't remember his name, but there was the LDSFF member who had "insider information" that would always give his predictions.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Dusty Wanderer wrote: February 11th, 2022, 1:14 pm I thought the same thing when I read it. And the following statement ("We encourage members to listen to, study, and apply the counsel given.") is also fine of itself, it just seemed to be missing something.
You mean the part where they say, "Don't listen to a word we say, like literally, not a single word (otherwise you'll be cursed) unless we speak by the power of the Holy Ghost. And that is up to each and everyone one of you good saints to decide. See you in April!"

Yeah... I didn't see that part in there either... hmmm... I hope their speechwriters are listening. :)

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

BroJones wrote: February 11th, 2022, 1:11 pm I'm glad we have Gen Conf every 6 months - it gives us a clearer picture of how Q15 view the world's conditions - particularly the use of masks and a "fully vaccinated" choir, etc.
Perhaps someone can get one of the tickets, and see if there are any specifications. There would not need to be a public announcement if everyone receiving a ticket is told what they need to do to gain entrance.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 11th, 2022, 2:01 pm
Dusty Wanderer wrote: February 11th, 2022, 1:14 pm I thought the same thing when I read it. And the following statement ("We encourage members to listen to, study, and apply the counsel given.") is also fine of itself, it just seemed to be missing something.
You mean the part where they say, "Don't listen to a word we say, like literally, not a single word (otherwise you'll be cursed) unless we speak by the power of the Holy Ghost. And that is up to each and everyone one of you good saints to decide. See you in April!"

Yeah... I didn't see that part in there either... hmmm... I hope their speechwriters are listening. :)
Well, that would've been unexpected, to say the least. I was looking for something a little more subtle than that, but still in line with your part about speaking by the power of the Holy Ghost. :-)

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Dusty Wanderer wrote: February 11th, 2022, 3:28 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 11th, 2022, 2:01 pm

Well, that would've been unexpected, to say the least. I was looking for something a little more subtle than that, but still in line with your part about speaking by the power of the Holy Ghost. :-)
I know... seems so out of place for the brethren to say something like that, especially considering I'm essentially quoting Christ from the scriptures... *sigh* ;)

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Sorry... just scratching my head how GC really does any of this. Benson is still waiting for them to defend freedom... Moroni is rolling his eyes... John the Revelator is like, "Guys, if you don't get your crap together, I'm gonna have to intervene pretty soon." :)