Who has met President Nelson?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Who has met President Nelson?

Post by Robin Hood »

For those who have met President Nelson in person, I would be interested in hearing of your experience, and especially of your impressions of the man.

abijah`
~dog days~

Re: Who has met President Nelson?

Post by abijah` »

he came to my mission along with four other general authorities. i didnt "meet" him besides a handshake and a hug (i was the only one who went in for the hug ๐Ÿ™ƒ) but the spirit was very strong.

edit: the next day, sunday, the five authorities split up among five stakes throughout the mission. gerald caussรจ came to ours, and i likewise felt the spirit very strong. i later did actually meet him, after my mission, along with his wife. great people. for frogs at least ๐Ÿ˜‰

tdj
captain of 1,000

Post by tdj »

I think I met Nelson several years ago when he was still an apostle. He, or rather an old man that looked just like him, was one of the people holding tours of the conference center. I hate it when they come up to you first thing and won't leave your side. I get why they feel the need to do it for security, but I just wanted to go snoop around in peace. Not take anything, vandalize or hurt anything. Just wanted to take a few close up pictures of the organ pipes. Well, this very old guy offered to take me on a tour. It was me and my teen daughter. I thought I'd give him the slip, so we do a jog from one spot to another. I'm thinking no way this guy is going to keep up with us. To my utter shock, I looked back and the "old dude" was keeping up!!
A few years later, the next prophet was announced, and I see the SAME GUY practically sprint to the table for a press conference.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

abijah` wrote: โ†‘May 9th, 2020, 2:11 pm he came to my mission along with four other general authorities. i didnt "meet" him besides a handshake and a hug (i was the only one who went in for the hug ๐Ÿ™ƒ) but the spirit was very strong.

edit: the next day, sunday, the five authorities split up among five stakes throughout the mission. gerald caussรจ came to ours, and i likewise felt the spirit very strong. i later did actually meet him, after my mission, along with his wife. great people. for frogs at least ๐Ÿ˜‰
Why frogs?

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

BeNotDeceived wrote: โ†‘May 9th, 2020, 4:16 pm
abijah` wrote: โ†‘May 9th, 2020, 2:11 pm he came to my mission along with four other general authorities. i didnt "meet" him besides a handshake and a hug (i was the only one who went in for the hug ๐Ÿ™ƒ) but the spirit was very strong.

Why frogs?
We Brits refer to the French as "Frogs".

Ferrisbueller
captain of 100

Post by Ferrisbueller »

I have at a leadership meeting a few years back. There was a question and answer portion of the meeting and was surprised by the "progressive" stake and bishop leaders, very liberal leaders, in the general area that had very scripted questions on paper pre-written paper. He returned it with very political answers. Caught me off guard. Sounded like a politician but I guess if you as a reporter type question your gonna get a political type answer. They were hitting him with the gay agenda crap. They sounded very pro gay.

Sephiroth
captain of 1,000

Post by Sephiroth »

The only GAs I've met were Gordon B Hinckley, L Tom Perry, Dallin H Oaks, and David A Bednar.

Voyager
captain of 100

Post by Voyager »

My grandfather grew up in his ward (Garden Park Ward, SLC) and President Nelson was one of his youth leaders. He and my grandmother knew Nelson decently well in the following years. My grandmother remembers being at the hospital in SLC with my dad who was very young and had suffered a serious injury. President Nelson was at the same hospital leading around a group of interns or something. He saw my grandma and immediately stopped what he was doing and came straight over to talk and make sure everything was alright. It had been years since they'd been in any sort of contact but he instantly recognized my grandma from the hallway left his group waiting in the hall to check on them and see if there was anything he could do for them.

When my grandfather died 8 years ago he showed up before the funeral to express his love and sympathy to my family (we still have no idea how he even knew my grandpa died or where the funeral was; I was still on my mission at the time so I did not meet him).

Say what you will about him or his calling, but President Nelson is a good man and has Christlike love for his fellow men.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Why frogs?
Nickname for the French. Not very flattering. There are few others. Partly because it begins with Fr- and they eat frogs over there.

No offence intended to anybody, just passing on info. These names vary in how rude they are:

* Krauts, Jerries, Fritzes - Germans
* Spicks, Dagoes - Spanish
* Eye-ties, Wops, pasta munchers - Italians
* Paddies, Micks, potato eaters - Irish (Mick from Michael and Mc- names)
* Jocks, Sweaties, Porridge Wogs - Scots (Sweaties = sweaty socks, rhyming slang for Jocks)
* Taffies - Welsh (pet name for David)
* Tommies, Guffies, Ruperts - English
* Ivans, Ruskies, Rooshans - Russians
* Polacks, Polskies, Jans - Poles
* Sammy (Protestant), Left Footer (RC), Taig (Roman Catholic) - Northern Irish people.

The French in turn refer to the British (or English they barely know the difference) as "les rosbifs" (the Roast Beefs) and "les f*** offs" (a popular phrase of British tourists...)

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Sephiroth wrote: โ†‘May 9th, 2020, 7:02 pm The only GAs I've met were Gordon B Hinckley, L Tom Perry, Dallin H Oaks, and David A Bednar.
I've met Richard G. Hinckley (GBH's son). He came up to me when I was standing around, rather than the other way round, and he was actually very pleasant and down to Earth. I was quite impressed with him in that respect, but I don't know much about him otherwise. There was only him and his wife around so he wasn't showing off to anyone.

Jeffrey R. Holland was mobbed, so I never really got to talk to him, and it barely counts.

I tend to leave celebrities alone when I see them most of the time, including church ones. They need a little peace too.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Robin Hood wrote: โ†‘May 9th, 2020, 4:18 pm

Why frogs?
We Brits refer to the French as "Frogs".

abijah turned me on to MythVision dude, and he just so happened to be interviewing another Francesca about growing wings and going to heaven. See slogfrog.com for context and to hear a free sample narrated by a Princess Type Person whose latest big role was playing a friend of the friend of God on TV. :lol:

Was that a foreshadow, or what exactly was that?

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Niemand wrote: โ†‘February 11th, 2022, 6:20 am

Why frogs?
Nickname for the French. Not very flattering. There are few others. Partly because it begins with Fr- and they eat frogs over there.

No offence intended to anybody, just passing on info. These names vary in how rude they are:

* Jocks, Sweaties, Porridge Wogs - Scots (Sweaties = sweaty socks, rhyming slang for Jocks)
* Sammy (Protestant), Left Footer (RC), Taig (Roman Catholic) - Northern Irish people.

The French in turn refer to the British (or English they barely know the difference) as "les rosbifs" (the Roast Beefs) and "les f*** offs" (a popular phrase of British tourists...)
And the Germans refer to us as Island Monkeys, or a literal translation - "monkey islanders"

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

You left out Yanks.

Teancum
captain of 100

Post by Teancum »

Robin Hood wrote: โ†‘February 11th, 2022, 7:31 am

Why frogs?

And the Germans refer to us as Island Monkeys, or a literal translation - "monkey islanders"
I understood those in your navy were referred to as lyme-ies (because RN ships carted around tons of limes to ward off scurvy - a lack of vitamin C while out to sea).

Back to the OP, I have met a few of the 15, but not longer than a 10 to 15 second exchange so not much to say about them, except that I know the Lord's hand was in a couple of those chance meetings.

OPMissionary
captain of 100

Post by OPMissionary »

He gave a talk at my stake about one year before he became prophet. To be blunt, he is not exactly a compelling speaker. His talk wasn't scripted and didn't really seem to have a direction or anything, just a few unrelated stories and sentiments about seemingly mundane things. The lack of spiritual message was unexpected for me, but I guess my expectations were too high.

His wife also spoke. I suppose it would have been good, except my mom noticed that it was the exact same talk she gave 3 years prior at women's conference.

I'm not trying to be mean, but my overall impression from the event was being a little incredulous that this man could actually be the next prophet.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I met RMN when he was president of the Twelve.
It was rather underwhelming.

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

My wife and I met him. He has family that live in our stake. One of his grand daughters is the same age as my stepdaughter. My stepdaughter spoke at the seminary graduation that RMN was in attendance. After the meeting he grabbed my stepdaughter and asked her if she would introduce him to her parents. He was very kind and complimentary of us as parents, to which I replied she was born that way we haven't had to do anything but feed and water her.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Met him at Bohemian Grove once. Spirit was strong.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

Luke wrote: โ†‘February 11th, 2022, 9:16 am Met him at Bohemian Grove once. Spirit was strong.
Which spirit? =D

LostCreekAcres
captain of 100

Post by LostCreekAcres »

markharr wrote: โ†‘February 11th, 2022, 7:33 am You left out Yanks.
Also, we use to refer to English as Cake Eaters.

I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA. It seemed in those days, that every ethnic group had it's own neighborhood. However, it also seemed that everyone pretty much got along. Everyone had a "nickname" as are listed above, but because EVERYONE had one, it never really felt like a slur. At least, that's how I remember it.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

LostCreekAcres wrote: โ†‘February 11th, 2022, 11:23 am
markharr wrote: โ†‘February 11th, 2022, 7:33 am You left out Yanks.
Also, we use to refer to English as Cake Eaters.

I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA. It seemed in those days, that every ethnic group had it's own neighborhood. However, it also seemed that everyone pretty much got along. Everyone had a "nickname" as are listed above, but because EVERYONE had one, it never really felt like a slur. At least, that's how I remember it.
That's why I generally wanted to know what they call Americans. Not sure if they really call us yanks or if I have just seen too many WWII films.

dewajack
captain of 100

Post by dewajack »

While at a regional conference as a teen, both Elder Nelson and Elder Oaks came out before the meeting into the audience to shake hands and say hello. I shook both their hands and exchanged hellos. They were nice and cordial, and seemed approachable.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Robin Hood wrote: โ†‘February 11th, 2022, 7:31 am

Why frogs?

Yes! I was surprised to find out this one was a lot newer than I thought. It' post-WW1, maybe wasn't around even in WW2. Before WW1, I gather both the Germans and British had more ill feeling towards the French than each other, and it took a lot of propaganda to stoke it up.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Luke wrote: โ†‘February 11th, 2022, 9:16 am Met him at Bohemian Grove once. Spirit was strong.
:D :D :D

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

During my daughters wedding in the SL Temple about 11 years ago, I got separated from our group and ended up in the lower floors of the temple and lost track of the way I had come in.

While searching for the way out, I walked up a slight ramp to a door and opened it at the same time RMN was coming through it (apparently from an underground passage/parking area). I said something like, "Oh, excuse me. Could you direct me to the way back to the main floors of the temple?"

He seemed distinctly not pleased to run into me nor with my question, which struck me rather forcibly. I don't recall his exact reply, but it wasn't very helpful. Something like: "~go ask an attendant".