Who killed Joseph Smith? — Essay

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Redpilled Mormon
captain of 100

Re: Who killed Joseph Smith? — Essay

Post by Redpilled Mormon »

SJR3t2 wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 10:19 am
Redpilled Mormon wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 10:03 am Wow, your essay is exhaustive, and eye-opening. It really is clear when you see the table which divides up by topic, shows the Book of Mormon scriptures and what the people did then, then side by side with current lds teachings. You've done a ton of great research here, I admit I haven't read down to the halfway point yet, but my jaw is already hanging open about how stark the similarities are. Also there's tons of info I never knew before. I had no idea that Brigham's death was suspected foul play (after a bit of web searching, looks like arsenic poisoning is the most-likely culprit?) or that he died just before a planned conference where he was going to confer the succession of the presidency of the lds church on his son (immediately makes me think of the saying 'no honor among thieves' and calls to recollection the Gadianton band murdering each other for power, including the dude in 4 Nephi who murdered his own brother to take over the judgement seat). I also had no idea about the extermination order of Brigham on the Timpanogos people. Wow! We hear a lot about the extermination order from Gov. Boggs, but strangely I never in my life heard about Brigham's extermination order against the Timpanogos. Sometimes you'll hear about the Mountain Meadows massacre, and that BY was behind it (which I suspect is very true), but still it's never directly proven, but here's the same guy - on record apparently - definitely ordering a genocide.
FYI the murdering you mentioned is in Helaman not 4 Nephi. But I know what you are talking about. That history meant a lot to me on my mission, in that the wicked couldn't convince the people to go after Nephi because of his righteousness ...
Dang you're right lol, I got confused because I knew it was Nephi who caught the guy, red-handed, and made him confess to murdering his brother. :)

SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

Post by SJR3t2 »

Redpilled Mormon wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 10:03 am
SJR3t2 wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 8:18 am
What I find funny is that people believe Brigham Young over Emma. As Emma died old of natural causes, contrary to pretended LDS D&C 132, where as Brigham Young was murdered by poison by a polygamous wife and daughter https://seekingyhwh.org/2017/07/04/king-brigham/
Wow, your essay is exhaustive, and eye-opening. It really is clear when you see the table which divides up by topic, shows the Book of Mormon scriptures and what the people did then, then side by side with current lds teachings. You've done a ton of great research here, I admit I haven't read down to the halfway point yet, but my jaw is already hanging open about how stark the similarities are. Also there's tons of info I never knew before. I had no idea that Brigham's death was suspected foul play (after a bit of web searching, looks like arsenic poisoning is the most-likely culprit?) or that he died just before a planned conference where he was going to confer the succession of the presidency of the lds church on his son (immediately makes me think of the saying 'no honor among thieves' and calls to recollection the Gadianton band murdering each other for power, including the dude in 4 Nephi who murdered his own brother to take over the judgement seat). I also had no idea about the extermination order of Brigham on the Timpanogos people. Wow! We hear a lot about the extermination order from Gov. Boggs, but strangely I never in my life heard about Brigham's extermination order against the Timpanogos. Sometimes you'll hear about the Mountain Meadows massacre, and that BY was behind it (which I suspect is very true), but still it's never directly proven, but here's the same guy - on record apparently - definitely ordering a genocide.
Considering you like my King Brigham post https://seekingyhwh.org/2017/07/04/king-brigham/, you'll also like how during this fellowship and scripture study the guest asked me to show why I believe Zeniff is a type of Joseph Smith, so I started expounding Mosiah 9 - 10 until he had to leave showing such. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZFzCUW ... n&index=13

SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

Post by SJR3t2 »

Redpilled Mormon wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 10:25 am Dang you're right lol, I got confused because I knew it was Nephi who caught the guy, red-handed, and made him confess to murdering his brother. :)
FYI Nephi told the people how to catch the brother red handed, Nephi was not there.

Redpilled Mormon
captain of 100

SJR3t2 wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 10:54 am
Redpilled Mormon wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 10:25 am Dang you're right lol, I got confused because I knew it was Nephi who caught the guy, red-handed, and made him confess to murdering his brother. :)
FYI Nephi told the people how to catch the brother red handed, Nephi was not there.
True, I was oversimplifying. I just enjoyed that bit where Nephi dictates exactly what will happen, how the guy will deny, then there will be evidence, then he won't know what to say, etc, etc. And then it comes to pass exactly as Nephi said. :)

SJR3t2
captain of 1,000

Post by SJR3t2 »

Redpilled Mormon wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 10:58 am
SJR3t2 wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 10:54 am
True, I was oversimplifying. I just enjoyed that bit where Nephi dictates exactly what will happen, how the guy will deny, then there will be evidence, then he won't know what to say, etc, etc. And then it comes to pass exactly as Nephi said. :)
The spirit of prophecy being used before non-believers, which converted some people to the truth. Tell me again why the LDS / Brighamite leaders who claim such titles don't do it.

In Matt 7:15-20 Jesus teaches us that we shall know prophets by their fruits. Matt 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Jesus did not say you shall know their fruits of being a prophet after you believe you believe they are a prophet. On the contrary, Jesus is showing us one important principle of not being deceived. Before you can know that some is the title that they claim to have from God, you must know of their fruits. We must have knowledge of the fruits of the title before we can study it out in our minds before we take it to the Lord for confirmation that the title comes from Him, see D&C 9:8.
https://seekingyhwh.org/2015/10/04/in-h ... yesterday/

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

BeNotDeceived wrote: February 1st, 2022, 1:22 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 1st, 2022, 12:09 pm If Joseph did as you (and others) say he did, he was a fallen prophet.

The most correct book.

jk Part 3 is pigswill :lol:
bruh, the author is IMO unreliable. The way he speaks, what he says, and in interviews, I noticed he made false statements, had some inaccurate "facts", etc. There is no way I could even bring myself to read that. He obviously turned bitter and seems like a real ax grinder after his ex-communication. Again IMO one of sketchy character.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

ransomme wrote: February 4th, 2022, 1:53 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 1st, 2022, 12:09 pm If Joseph did as you (and others) say he did, he was a fallen prophet.

The most correct book.

bruh, the author is IMO unreliable. The way he speaks, what he says, and in interviews, I noticed he made false statements, had some inaccurate "facts", etc. There is no way I could even bring myself to read that. He obviously turned bitter and seems like a real ax grinder after his ex-communication. Again IMO one of sketchy character.
I believe that is why he said "jk Part 3 is pigswill :lol:"

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 4th, 2022, 2:01 pm

The most correct book.

I just have noticed him mention even seemingly promote Joseph in the Gaps many times on many threads since the book dropped. I guess I couldn't hold back this time. :twisted:

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

ransomme wrote: February 4th, 2022, 2:34 pm

The most correct book.

I just have noticed him mention even seemingly promote Joseph in the Gaps many times on many threads since the book dropped. I guess I couldn't hold back this time. :twisted:

plus it's benotdeceived, sometimes it's hard to tell

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

The most correct book.

Always fun when someone says “I have a problem with your book, that I didn’t read”. :lol:

Part 1 and 2 are very well documented and makes complete sense.

Love the part about how Taylor’s SP names his motorcycle gang. :P

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

The most correct book.

Always fun when someone says “I have a problem with your book, that I didn’t read”. :lol:

3*8**

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

The most correct book.

What statements are false?

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 1st, 2022, 3:11 pm

I also don't idolize David Whitmer.

I don't either. I appreciate some things about David, I like some of his writings. I think he is right that the coming forth of the Book of Mormon was a groundwork for something greater to happen later. But David was clearly named to be Joseph's prophetic successor, and nothing became of that, which feels like a clear statement from God on the status of David and losing the gift of being the successor (IMO).

So for someone who takes David's side in the battle of how to interpret Mormon history, how do you accept that the Lord never used David to provide revelation or do much with the work and stand by a strict adherence to David's view on everything that happened?

If David were Joseph's successor, we should expect him to do things comparable to Joseph. I will take the revelation of David being named his successor as truth, but I think David forfeited the blessing of being Joseph's successor because he didn't go on to do the sort of things Joseph did (produce scripture, receive and write revelations, push a work forward) after he broke with Joseph in 1838 and he didn't do any of those things after Joseph's death. There was a battle over what to do after Joseph's death and David didn't show up for it. A successor being used by God, if he were a successor in God's eyes, should have provided something at a time like that.

Before his death and after David's departure, Joseph would go on to make Hyrum his successor. David didn't do the things Joseph did that you should expect a proper successor to do (Hyrum didn't really either, but Hyrum would die with Joseph, depriving him of the opportunity to live and be a successor). I think God revoked the successor blessing David received. I like aspects of David. I think there is more to the story of Joseph, David and Oliver, but I don't agree with or believe everything David says
Last edited by BuriedTartaria on February 5th, 2022, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

BuriedTartaria wrote: February 5th, 2022, 8:48 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 1st, 2022, 3:11 pm

I also don't idolize David Whitmer.

I don't either. I appreciate some things about David, I like some of his writings. I think he is right that the coming forth of the Book of Mormon was a groundwork for something greater to happen later. But David was clearly named to be Joseph's prophetic successor, and nothing became of that, which casts doubt in my eyes of what status God held David in.

So for someone who takes David's side in the battle of how to interpret Mormon history, how do you accept that the Lord never used David to provide revelation or do much with the work and stand by a strict adherence to David's view on everything that happened?

If David were Joseph's successor, we should expect him to do things comparable to Joseph. I will take the revelation of David being named his successor as truth, but I think David forfeited the blessing of being Joseph's successor because he didn't go on to do the sort of things Joseph did (produce scripture, receive and write revelations, push a work forward) after he broke with Joseph in 1838 and he didn't do any of those things after Joseph's death. There was a battle over what to do after Joseph's death and David didn't show up for it. A successor being used by God, if he were a successor in God's eyes, should have provided something at a time like that.

Before his death and after David's departure, Joseph would go on to make Hyrum his successor. David didn't do the things Joseph did that you should expect a proper successor to do (Hyrum didn't really either, but Hyrum would die with Joseph, depriving him of the opportunity to live and be a successor). I think God revoked the successor blessing David received. I like aspects of David. I think there is more to the story of Joseph, David and Oliver, but I don't agree with or believe everything David says
There is evidence that either Hyrum, Samuel, or one of Joseph’s sons was to be the successor.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

BeNotDeceived wrote: February 5th, 2022, 8:29 am

The most correct book.

Go back to original post about that book back in August, I think a number of things were chief there.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

ransomme wrote: February 5th, 2022, 11:09 am
BeNotDeceived wrote: February 5th, 2022, 8:29 am

The most correct book.

Go back to original post about that book back in August, I think a number of things were chief there.
Here is your first post from my August thread.
ransomme wrote: August 18th, 2021, 2:58 pm I fit somewhere between the Church as it is and this guest. I don't know what to think when he gets, IMHO, some big things wrong though such as JS's purported polygamy, seemingly not understanding the fullness of the Gospel, etc. He also had a brain fart or didn't know enough to better answer the question about the Endtime restoration of all things. How good then is his research and understanding? But he did get it right saying it was all about Jesus.
Indeed he did brain fart in part 3, and that was another interview where it did get confusing when his SP said he perused Taylor’s book.

Peruse used to mean deeply study, but now is understood to mean lightly skimmed.

Even some of the dictionary hath turned to pigswill. :lol:

What specific statements are false?

Redpilled Mormon
captain of 100

BeNotDeceived wrote: February 5th, 2022, 8:22 am

The most correct book.

Interesting. I hadn't heard of this guy before, nor have I read his book, but I watched the whole vid (I guess there's other parts I haven't seen yet?) and I found him calm, reasonable, and reasoned. Most everything he talked about I agreed with. The bit about Joseph Smith being resurrected to do more work in mortality, I neither agree nor disagree. Sounds odd to me, but I don't have any immediate negative reaction. Hadn't heard about that theory before.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Redpilled Mormon wrote: February 5th, 2022, 11:05 pm
Interesting. I hadn't heard of this guy before, nor have I read his book, but I watched the whole vid (I guess there's other parts I haven't seen yet?) and I found him calm, reasonable, and reasoned. Most everything he talked about I agreed with. The bit about Joseph Smith being resurrected to do more work in mortality, I neither agree nor disagree. Sounds odd to me, but I don't have any immediate negative reaction. Hadn't heard about that theory before.
The little arrow in the quote block will link to my original thread now located in the Heretic's Forum.

And

viewtopic.php?p=1218389#p1218389

Sheds light on the Davidic Servant, whose really down on the Masonic temple rites, and many other of Joseph’s fabrications, such as the First Vision and tales about the Angel Moroni. Maybe that’s why a 5.7 quake landed his instrument as per keyword 38ii.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

BeNotDeceived wrote: February 6th, 2022, 4:42 am
The little arrow in the quote block will link to my original thread now located in the Heretic's Forum.

And

Sheds light on the Davidic Servant, whose really down on the Masonic temple rites, and many other of Joseph’s fabrications, such as the First Vision and tales about the Angel Moroni. Maybe that’s why a 5.7 quake landed his instrument as per keyword 38ii.
Interesting, I didn't know you felt Joseph fabricated his visitation experience. Did he also fabricate the BoM? I mean, you seem to feel Moroni was a fabrication as well... or was he a white salamander... ? :)

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 6th, 2022, 5:23 am

And

Interesting, I didn't know you felt Joseph fabricated his visitation experience. Did he also fabricate the BoM? I mean, you seem to feel Moroni was a fabrication as well... or was he a white salamander... ? :)
viewtopic.php?p=1154610#p1154610 explains me adopted stance on Moroni’s epic Mic Drop … Bill Reel recently did a vid on the First Vision and the DS has spilled the beans on that too. Fortunately the BOM is legit, despite the mystery of its origin. Joseph was warned to pretend to no other gift for many good reasons.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

BeNotDeceived wrote: February 6th, 2022, 6:34 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 6th, 2022, 5:23 am

And

viewtopic.php?p=1154610#p1154610 explains me adopted stance on Moroni’s epic Mic Drop … Bill Reel recently did a vid on the First Vision and the DS has spilled the beans on that too. Fortunately the BOM is legit, despite the mystery of its origin. Joseph was warned to pretend to no other gift for many good reasons.
Interesting. The multiple version of the visionary account doesn't bother me at all. I actually think it adds validity to Joseph's experience. It's human nature to remember different details after retelling an experience over months or years. I have no problem with different accounts of angelic visitations either. I've written a lot lately and often realize that I focus my message on the audience. You highlight pertinent details. If you have limited time, you give the shortened version. More time, more detail.

Redpilled Mormon
captain of 100

I'm a bit confused. I followed the link but it was to someone else's post, and someone else's opinion, who was saying that Moroni never existed and was a fabrication, and that Joseph stole the name from some island somewhere. Are you saying that's your position too?

I'm a little baffled, btw. Moroni was in the Book of Mormon, and I believe the Book of Mormon is a true history of real people that really existed. So I don't have any doubt of Moroni's existence (or Nephi, or Lehi, or Abinadai, or Alma, etc...)

Also I'm not even sure whether that other topic was debating whether Moroni ever existed at all, or maybe they were contending that he might have existed in BoM days but that he never appeared as a resurrected being to Joseph?

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

Redpilled Mormon wrote: February 6th, 2022, 8:23 am

I'm a bit confused. I followed the link but it was to someone else's post, and someone else's opinion, who was saying that Moroni never existed and was a fabrication, and that Joseph stole the name from some island somewhere. Are you saying that's your position too?

I'm a little baffled, btw. Moroni was in the Book of Mormon, and I believe the Book of Mormon is a true history of real people that really existed. So I don't have any doubt of Moroni's existence (or Nephi, or Lehi, or Abinadai, or Alma, etc...)

Also I'm not even sure whether that other topic was debating whether Moroni ever existed at all, or maybe they were contending that he might have existed in BoM days but that he never appeared as a resurrected being to Joseph?
He thinks Michael Sherwin is the Davidic Servant.

Quite the bizarre character.

Redpilled Mormon
captain of 100

And

I've seen references to this 'Davidic Servant' stuff before (the whole thread about 'marred servant bullcrap' cracked me up). I don't have any idea where this whole concept even comes from, or what it's all about. Is the 'marred servant' a different phrase for the same guy? What scripture is this all referring to? Something in Revelations somewhere? And I'm guessing the reason this comes up is because the guy being interviewed in the video mentioned a theory about Joseph Smith coming back to do more work, so that ties into this theory somehow?

Redpilled Mormon
captain of 100

Gadianton Slayer wrote: February 6th, 2022, 8:24 am
Redpilled Mormon wrote: February 6th, 2022, 8:23 am

He thinks Michael Sherwin is the Davidic Servant.

Quite the bizarre character.
Who is Michael Sherwin? I mean, I saw that the post that was referenced was made by a forum member named Michael Sherwin, but other than the fact that he's a forum member who has posted before, who is he, and what's the reason to think he's the davidic servant? And what's the davidic servant anyway?