Protecting car computers from EMP strikes?

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Rubicon
captain of 1,000

Protecting car computers from EMP strikes?

Post by Rubicon »

Is there a way to do this? Or, just have spare(s) in lead boxes. :)

Thanks!

bbrown
captain of 100

Re: Protecting car computers from EMP strikes?

Post by bbrown »

Not really. And a spare won’t do you any good because it has to be flashed to work with the car. Which requires internet and external computers at least on cars after the nineties. If they are not running at the time and you have decent distance from the source they’ll probably be ok. The metal body will protect the electronics some.
Some.

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

You could buy an integrated distributor, some kind of auxiliary fuel pump, and a carburetor.
For a car nut, these could be used to make the motor run w/o the computer controller.

Probably need a throttle cable too, (most cars are throttle-by-wire without a direct mechanical connection from foot pedal to engine).

Other issues would be electronic shifting auto transmissions. They would go into “limp-mode” and not perform the way you are used to.

You see, the issue is the metal car body will receive the effect of the EMP by accumulating over 10,000 volts (some estimates are up to 50,000 volts) per square meter.

So the roof, hood and trunk lid will act as collectors of directed electrons, and the current will flow anyway it can, even backwards thru the battery grounding straps. That large of a surge voltage spike happens so fast, fuses don’t even burn out in time. Breakers don’t trip.

Very difficult to fully protect your modern car from the effects.... unless... it is parked out of sight in a concrete parking garage, of in the “shadow” of tall buildings, or behind a hill.

EMP are mostly line-of-sight weapons, thought there is some random jostling going on as the electrons blast toward earth.

Basically, an nuclear EMP is so fast, even lightening protection devices can’t react fast enough to cut off the flow of electrons, especially as they are accumulating on both sides of the lightening strike device.

Best to get an old beater car/pickup/jeep/tractor/motorcycle if you want motorized transport after an event.

There will be cars operating... those that were protected by shadows or multilevel concrete parking structures.

Just remember, that within four+ days of collapse, societal good behavior disappears, and you would likely be killed for your car.

(Read up on how western civilization is just nine meals away from anarchy and horrendous violence).

Anyway, having a car that works, when everyone else is walking, puts a big target on your back.

Not just from the “zombie hordes”, but also from the freaked out local former powers-that-be. ie: mayors, cops, anyone with some kind of previous authority. Expect your working auto to be confiscated.

There really is no worse scenario than an EMP.

Even a complete banking collapse and loss of all banking deposits and stock market accounts, leaves the electrical and communication grids operational.

Being cold, dark, and far from home when an EMP strikes is totally a bad thing.

For us out-of-shape, middle class suburban people who work forty miles from home, it’ll be a trying time just getting home in crappy dress shoes, thru unfamiliar neighborhoods accompanied with dehydration hunger and cramping muscles.

Even folks with bicycles will be attacked.

Not a pretty thought at all....

Just a last thought on EMP’s.
Other than a millisecond light flash. You won’t notice the “boom” of a space detonated EMP.
Since there is no air, sound doesn’t travel.
Also, the effects of the EMP are spherical.
So satellites out beyond the detonation will be hit as well.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

You could try turning your garage into a kind of Faraday Cage, that is a good option.

A Coronal Mass Ejection will happen during the day time, but I suspect a nuclear EMP would be detonated at night or in the early morning.

Rubicon
captain of 1,000

Post by Rubicon »

Thanks for the tips and insights! Fascinating.

This reminded me very much of the book "Station Eleven."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Station_Eleven

It's a dystopian novel about the collapse of society (back to stone age, essentially) after an "I am Legend" type pandemic. The incoming honors students at my son's university were given a copy at orientation, and one of their honors classes analyzed and discussed it. The synopsis above doesn't do it justice --- it's an engaging book.

We've been gearing up for societal collapse, focusing on useful items and commodities instead of money. I'd love to have old pre-computer cars. I'm intrigued with converting to propane because it stores much better than gasoline, and (I'm told) provides more mileage and power than gas. I also think that propane generators would be better than gasoline because of the long-term storage issues.

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

Niemand wrote: December 1st, 2021, 2:38 pm You could try turning your garage into a kind of Faraday Cage, that is a good option.

A Coronal Mass Ejection will happen during the day time, but I suspect a nuclear EMP would be detonated at night or in the early morning.
Yes, the faraday cage is a decent strategy.

I’ve heard it said that even the chicken wire, and expanded metal lath used for some cementitious stucco would form some kind of faraday cage. Problem is grounding. If it was installed with low impedance grounding pathways, then maybe it’d work. Otherwise it’d just be an energy collector.

That’s why cars will fail, the tires isolate from ground.

Coronal Mass Ejections do have the capacity to reek havoc. However, the energy burst from the sun takes several days to arrive. And it usually builds up to a peak impact over several hours. With residual energy flowing in a diminishing way for several days after.

NASA put up a sentinel satellite out on station near Mercury. It’s very purpose is to detect and warn of an incoming CME.

The odds of a CME hitting earth, let alone a direct hit on the US is almost astronomical.

As the earth is constantly rotating, and moving along its orbital path, and taking into account the several day transit time for the conglomeration of energy to arrive, means near misses are likely, and it’d likely hit mostly ocean and Asian continental mass.

Even tho we have an early warning satellite giving us a couple dozen hour heads up, in all likelihood, the-powers-that-be would use that time to save their own a__es, and not tell us sheeple, because they wouldn’t want to “start a panic”.

So I really don’t worry about a CME hitting the USA and cratering our society.

But a nefarious James Bond like villain, with all the commercial rocketeering companies everywhere, an EMP device could be rather easily placed and detonated.

Still, I think dirty bombs are much more likely.

If a dozen cities were hit, virtually simultaneously, the fear and resulting paralysis will pretty much render little resistance to a foreign takeover and obliteration of all constitutional liberties and freedoms.

Just ask Hunter Biden when to expect the strike...

bbrown
captain of 100

Post by bbrown »

There’s really no way to adapt a newer car to work on a carb and there’s no way to run any kind of distributor. Your best bet is to have an old car or Better a truck if your going total blackout scenario and a spare points distributor, alternator, and carb if it’s an early fuel injected that will adapt. A wood gasifier is not a bad choice if you live where wood is abundant. It will definitely make you a target though. At this point I don’t expect it (except coronal mass ejection) since all they have to do is cry pandemic and everyone cowers.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Rubicon wrote: December 1st, 2021, 10:11 am Is there a way to do this? Or, just have spare(s) in lead boxes. :)

Thanks!
Which computer? A modern car has hundreds of computers in it. Even if you could protect them, how long would it be useful for?

A car will only run as long as you have gas. Gas is surprisingly difficult to make so you can pretty much kiss that supply chain goodbye for 5-10 years and after that, it will be too expensive. (If you could somehow pull it off, you could run many cars off ethanol until it destroyed the engine.)

On the other hand, a bike will run indefinitely with some lubricant, a few tools and possibly some inner tubes (although few or none if you have good tires.) I think bikes are really underrated in a survival situation.

Horses or pack animals will also be good, with camels being the tops if they can survive where you live.

As far as the car: if you really want to save it, get an older car with less electronics, look into making a faraday cage for the engine or your garage or whatever, and you could ground your car when you're not driving it. It will most likely survive but run poorly so you could do some last minute stuff with it. Save some gas for it.
JK4Woods wrote: December 1st, 2021, 2:05 pm There really is no worse scenario than an EMP.

Even a complete banking collapse and loss of all banking deposits and stock market accounts, leaves the electrical and communication grids operational.
If the banks collapsed and some heavy-handed action wasn't taken, the grid would follow shortly thereafter. It's possible people will keep showing up to their jobs out of the good of their heart, but I don't think enough will. Remember how interdependent our supply chain is. There will have to be trains to deliver coal and people to mine the coal. As far as nuclear reactors, lol. I mean, we might get a while on these, but it will eventually lead to a collapse.

In the mean time, there will be violence and mayhem as people stop working because they don't get paid. I would like to think people will keep showing up and planting the seeds and milking the cows, but I don't think everyone will if they don't get paid. Even if they do, stores will get looted and "soft-looted" where people take more than their share because there are no monetary limits.

I think all that extra time will do is make the people who work more bitter about the freeloaders and it will devolve into racists, regionalist, nationalist and other loyalties, excluding the out-groups. And the people who looted and took their unfare share will have a huge advantage because they'll have taken all the free stuff while people are still being reasonable. So I think it will only protract the violence.

In addition to that, power plants would go up and down and cars would be available sometimes and not others. That would lead to lots of wasted effort counting on things that aren't there and general psychological damage from the uncertainty.

An EMP would yield the most immediate die-offs, but the banking scenario would take longer to recover from.

Rubicon
captain of 1,000

Post by Rubicon »

harakim wrote: January 7th, 2022, 5:50 pm
Rubicon wrote: December 1st, 2021, 10:11 am Is there a way to do this? Or, just have spare(s) in lead boxes. :)

Thanks!
Which computer? A modern car has hundreds of computers in it. Even if you could protect them, how long would it be useful for?

A car will only run as long as you have gas. Gas is surprisingly difficult to make so you can pretty much kiss that supply chain goodbye for 5-10 years and after that, it will be too expensive. (If you could somehow pull it off, you could run many cars off ethanol until it destroyed the engine.)

On the other hand, a bike will run indefinitely with some lubricant, a few tools and possibly some inner tubes (although few or none if you have good tires.) I think bikes are really underrated in a survival situation.

Horses or pack animals will also be good, with camels being the tops if they can survive where you live.

As far as the car: if you really want to save it, get an older car with less electronics, look into making a faraday cage for the engine or your garage or whatever, and you could ground your car when you're not driving it. It will most likely survive but run poorly so you could do some last minute stuff with it. Save some gas for it.
I'm intrigued by propane conversions. I home taught a family years ago who were real survivalists. They were strange and estranged, but they lived fully independent. He delivered propane for a living, and they were skilled at --- everything (he, his two sons, and his wife). They converted all their vehicles to propane themselves. They insisted that propane has better mileage, better torque/power, etc. My thought is that you can store propane, while you can't store gasoline (it turns to gel). They moved to live in the woods in Oregon, and I lost contact with them. When I needed auto work done, I paid his boys. They could fix anything.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Rubicon wrote: January 7th, 2022, 6:08 pm

Thanks!

I'm intrigued by propane conversions. I home taught a family years ago who were real survivalists. They were strange and estranged, but they lived fully independent. He delivered propane for a living, and they were skilled at --- everything (he, his two sons, and his wife). They converted all their vehicles to propane themselves. They insisted that propane has better mileage, better torque/power, etc. My thought is that you can store propane, while you can't store gasoline (it turns to gel). They moved to live in the woods in Oregon, and I lost contact with them. When I needed auto work done, I paid his boys. They could fix anything.
I don't feel like a propane conversion is the best use of your time at this point, but if you find it that important then go for it.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Rubicon wrote: January 7th, 2022, 6:08 pm

Thanks!

While I don't know if it would be cost effective in the short run.

There are many benefits to do it yourself vehicle propane conversions.

The greatest is that your internal engine parts may last longer due to the lack of oil contamination.

This in turn, allows you to merely gravity filter your oil and reuse it several times before disposal or you can use an aftermarket in-line filter system that uses toilet paper rolls as the filter medium, then you almost never have to change your oil.

A other benefit is while they can and probably will eventually ration gas and diesel, propane is a heating fuel and you can set yourself up to secretly fill your own vehicle tanks.

In addition, and your friend may not have mentioned this, no fuel road tax if you use your home tank for fuel: this is most likely illegal everywhere, but only an idiot would get caught.

This could get trickier if things go really south; people might wonder why you are still on the road, etc.

And because he worked for a propane company, he probably got his fuel at a discount as well.

Downsides?

The cost of conversion.

I believe I heard it is not as reliable as gas in extreme temperatures.

Slightly more dangerous than gas.

Need to vigilantly inspect tanks and hoses.

Limited range.

I did consider it back in the day.

But like most of my considerations.

Other things took precedence.

I'd do it if I could.

Good luck.

Sir H

KittyRose
captain of 10

Post by KittyRose »

Some people buy these. Use the word Marfoogle in the coupon code box for $70 off. https://www.empshield.com/ I put one on my pickup. Can't say for sure that it works, as we haven't had to test it (thank Heavenly Father!) but at least I can say I tried. :) Also, if you don't watch Marfoogle News or Marfoogle TV, it's a pretty good alternative news source outside of the MSM. He's on YouTube, DLive, etc.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

The cars will stop because the fuel will run dry. I don't think a country-wide emp is in the plan for the same reason nuclear bombs won't be used over a large area. The powers that would take over our country want the spoils, and what good are ruined cars and electronics?

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

KittyRose wrote: January 9th, 2022, 3:41 pm Some people buy these. Use the word Marfoogle in the coupon code box for $70 off. https://www.empshield.com/ I put one on my pickup. Can't say for sure that it works, as we haven't had to test it (thank Heavenly Father!) but at least I can say I tried. :) Also, if you don't watch Marfoogle News or Marfoogle TV, it's a pretty good alternative news source outside of the MSM. He's on YouTube, DLive, etc.
Hope you have installed ground straps to shed the excess voltage down to earth.
Shunting voltage only works by directing relayed induced current direct to earth.

It takes a secure connection for high volume electrons to shed thru a dangling ground strap, and it must be touching ground all the time.

These style don’t work... their capacity is only for static electricity generated by rushing air over a car body. And only touch the ground at super low speeds, like 5 mph or less.
A773785E-6671-40C9-A148-9F588FCA7F50.jpeg
A773785E-6671-40C9-A148-9F588FCA7F50.jpeg (393.36 KiB) Viewed 402 times
Maybe a giant capacitor in the trunk could accumulate the million volts induced by an EMP. (It would have to be at least as big as a scuba tank).
Attachments
813D58B6-CF3B-4CD5-AF4F-64AEA231EF58.jpeg
813D58B6-CF3B-4CD5-AF4F-64AEA231EF58.jpeg (733.99 KiB) Viewed 402 times

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

Oh, by the way, if evidence of an EMP befalls us,
Best strategy is to fade into a “grey man” , one who blends in and doesn’t stick out.

Best get home immediately and park you’re working vehicle in a secure place.

Else you’ll be a number one target, and have to be prepared to repel boarders intent on carjacking your vehicle.

There will me no mercy after 48 hours...

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

All wires act as antennae. In an EMP, I suppose there are kilovolts of differential across inches of space for probably less than a microsecond. I think everything would get fried that isn't completely contained in a Faraday cage. No wires could be sticking out.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

JK4Woods wrote: January 10th, 2022, 1:02 pm Oh, by the way, if evidence of an EMP befalls us,
Best strategy is to fade into a “grey man” , one who blends in and doesn’t stick out.

Best get home immediately and park you’re working vehicle in a secure place.

Else you’ll be a number one target, and have to be prepared to repel boarders intent on carjacking your vehicle.

There will me no mercy after 48 hours...
New rules.

Shoot first.

Ask questions later.

Two months in.

All "good" people will be:

Dead.

Hiding.

Breaking bad.

From my observation.

1/3 of the people are psychotic right now.

1/3 of the people can go either way depending on the situation.

1/3 of the people will be decent no matter what.

The war in heaven continues...

Sir H

KittyRose
captain of 10

Post by KittyRose »

Sarah wrote: January 9th, 2022, 7:09 pm The cars will stop because the fuel will run dry. I don't think a country-wide emp is in the plan for the same reason nuclear bombs won't be used over a large area. The powers that would take over our country want the spoils, and what good are ruined cars and electronics?
I agree. What good would ruining everything do them? I really think they're going to continue chipping away at us with bioweapons, vax and 5G-induced diseases, and geoengineering until they get enough of us knocked down or so sick that we can't fight off an invasive takeover. God help whoever is left, and shame on church leaders for not more strongly encouraging people to prepare themselves for what's coming. Up until not long ago, there was a website called Deagle that had predictions about all the countries around the world's populations, GDP, military spending, etc. that culminated in the year 2025. It's since been scrubbed from the internet, but it listed the U.S. population as being under 100 million by then. We're pushing 350 million now. So, where do the powers that be plan for 250 million people to be in three years? My guess is dead. In that report, the only countries that saw real growth were enemies of NATO. Don't know for certain about its origins or where they got their numbers, but the Georgia Guidestones are definitely real and still verifiable, as is Agenda 2030. If you don't know what those are, look it up. Freaky!

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

KittyRose wrote: January 11th, 2022, 2:38 pm
Sarah wrote: January 9th, 2022, 7:09 pm The cars will stop because the fuel will run dry. I don't think a country-wide emp is in the plan for the same reason nuclear bombs won't be used over a large area. The powers that would take over our country want the spoils, and what good are ruined cars and electronics?
I agree. What good would ruining everything do them? I really think they're going to continue chipping away at us with bioweapons, vax and 5G-induced diseases, and geoengineering until they get enough of us knocked down or so sick that we can't fight off an invasive takeover. God help whoever is left, and shame on church leaders for not more strongly encouraging people to prepare themselves for what's coming. Up until not long ago, there was a website called Deagle that had predictions about all the countries around the world's populations, GDP, military spending, etc. that culminated in the year 2025. It's since been scrubbed from the internet, but it listed the U.S. population as being under 100 million by then. We're pushing 350 million now. So, where do the powers that be plan for 250 million people to be in three years? My guess is dead. In that report, the only countries that saw real growth were enemies of NATO. Don't know for certain about its origins or where they got their numbers, but the Georgia Guidestones are definitely real and still verifiable, as is Agenda 2030. If you don't know what those are, look it up. Freaky!
No shame on the church. Our leaders have been telling us to be temporally prepared every year for years. And also pointing to where we can read the prophesied destruction for wickedness. For our RS activities, at least a 1/3 per year are about temporal preparation and they just announced that the entire year will be working on preparedness. I say shame on members if they have their head in the sand. They are lazy or think that nothing bad will happen until the gospel goes fully into China and all these other off-limit areas.