Garments

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Garments

Post by Luke »

Sunain wrote: December 12th, 2021, 8:16 pm
Luke wrote: December 11th, 2021, 9:07 pm
JuneBug12000 wrote: December 11th, 2021, 9:03 pm Funny thing, you use to be able to make your own.

Then the said only under the direction of RS President.

Than no more sewing your own.

Don't know why they made any of those changes.
Control
People were apparently modifying them to conform to non-modest dress attire.
The Church was already well ahead of the game with that one, since they threw the original design (given to JS by angels) under the bus in favour of what the people wanted. Popular demand as always chose the policy.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

I'm told by a lot of women they find them very impractical and uncomfortable, not because of fashion, but the sheer variety of female body types.

They probably don't work well with pregnancy or menstrual cycles either (as someone says above)

Hoshi
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Hoshi »

Niemand wrote: December 11th, 2021, 11:47 am those chicken wire ones
This killed me, thanks for the laugh. They feel like chicken wire too tbh

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Sunain wrote: December 11th, 2021, 11:56 am Uh yeah. That's way too much considering Costco can sell 6 white t-shirts for $20 USD, have free shipping and make a profit off them! Plus Costco has a bulk order discount on top of that! Buy 5 Save $25 Total. (I sound like a salesman lol).

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signatu ... 58201.html
I assure you, the church is listening to these complaints. They threaten the American garment workers that they will outsource garment making to a third world frequently to satisfy the members. They have even started doing this, they just haven't finished completely.

Don't worry, they are listening to members like you who value price over first world working conditions. Remember, they are globalists too.

GeeR
captain of 1,000

Post by GeeR »

Robin Hood wrote: December 11th, 2021, 10:30 am I have just visited the online store with a view to buying some garments. The last time I bought any was about 18 months ago.
I was shocked to see that the price has increased by around 50%.
I think this is unacceptable given the nature of the garment and the requirement to wear them. I know church members who would struggle to buy enough to wear daily for a week.
I recently bought some boxers to wear when at the gym. I got 5 pairs for £3.00.
$100 billion in reserves and they do this.
Absolute disgrace.
They need the extra income to give to the NAACP and Black Lives Matter movement!

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Robin Hood wrote: December 11th, 2021, 10:30 am I have just visited the online store with a view to buying some garments. The last time I bought any was about 18 months ago.
I think this is unacceptable given the nature of the garment and the requirement to wear them. I know church members who would struggle to buy enough to wear daily for a week.
Absolute disgrace.
It may be because of the materials shortage, especially cotton, because of COVID (both the lockdowns disrupting the supply chain and the fact that they used the garment centers to manufacture useless masks. Here they don't even sell you garments unless you are going through for the first time.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Is there anywhere that says we can't make our own just like they did in the old days?

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

ransomme wrote: December 15th, 2021, 12:15 pm Is there anywhere that says we can't make our own just like they did in the old days?
The Holy Handbook says you can’t. However, ask God. He may have a personal answer for you.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

ransomme wrote: December 15th, 2021, 12:14 pm
Absolute disgrace.
It may be because of the materials shortage, especially cotton, because of COVID (both the lockdowns disrupting the supply chain and the fact that they used the garment centers to manufacture useless masks. Here they don't even sell you garments unless you are going through for the first time.
That would explain a shortage, but not a price hike.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Robin Hood wrote: December 15th, 2021, 2:47 pm
Absolute disgrace.
Well shortages cause price increases, supply and demand.

Plus the labrets in Mexico are expensive...nah

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

ransomme wrote: December 15th, 2021, 10:47 pm
Absolute disgrace.

In Babylon maybe, but the church has sufficient resources to weather the storm and not pass these increases on to the members, many of whom are already stretched.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Robin Hood wrote: December 16th, 2021, 12:39 am
ransomme wrote: December 15th, 2021, 10:47 pm

In Babylon maybe, but the church has sufficient resources to weather the storm and not pass these increases on to the members, many of whom are already stretched.
I don't disagree and am not trying to make excuses. HE🏑🏑 I can't even buy any here at any price. If I were in greater need I don't see any reason why I couldn't make my own, handbook be damned. Bureaucracies spoil everything.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Robin Hood wrote: December 12th, 2021, 5:07 pm
Obrien wrote: December 12th, 2021, 9:23 am
Absolute disgrace.
RH - I agree 100% with your post. Several solutions to consider:
1- wear them like my dad did. His garments were 1 atom thick before he bought new ones.
2- buy Costco underwear and add the markings yourself. This is a perfectly legitimate course of action.
3- cease to wear garments. I've been g-free for nearly a decade without any discernible repercussions except being much more comfortable.

The choice is yours.
I actually find the modern garments, particularly the stretch ones, extremely comfortable. In fact, I'm more comfortable with than without.
I like wearing them.
RH - as I recall, you're a resident of GB. I live in north America, most recently in areas with respective latitudes of 31 and 29 deg north. Both areas are substantially hotter and more humid than your home. G's probably ARE more comfortable in your climate, and if you like them but don't care for the price tag, make your own.
Have a Merry Christmas brother.

Gadget
captain of 100

Post by Gadget »

Niemand wrote: December 11th, 2021, 11:47 am It depends on the material too. I buy cotton ones for winter and those chicken wire ones for summer - whatever it's called.

I agree. No excuse, they have a captive market and a lot of money. I often buy mine at the temple but I won't be going there any time soon.
chicken wire....lol....thanks, I love that reference

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Obrien wrote: December 19th, 2021, 8:41 am
Robin Hood wrote: December 12th, 2021, 5:07 pm
Obrien wrote: December 12th, 2021, 9:23 am
Absolute disgrace.
RH - I agree 100% with your post. Several solutions to consider:
1- wear them like my dad did. His garments were 1 atom thick before he bought new ones.
2- buy Costco underwear and add the markings yourself. This is a perfectly legitimate course of action.
3- cease to wear garments. I've been g-free for nearly a decade without any discernible repercussions except being much more comfortable.

The choice is yours.
I actually find the modern garments, particularly the stretch ones, extremely comfortable. In fact, I'm more comfortable with than without.
I like wearing them.
RH - as I recall, you're a resident of GB. I live in north America, most recently in areas with respective latitudes of 31 and 29 deg north. Both areas are substantially hotter and more humid than your home. G's probably ARE more comfortable in your climate, and if you like them but don't care for the price tag, make your own.
Have a Merry Christmas brother.
I spent a month in the US (mid July - mid August) in 2006. Highest temperature experienced was 47°C (approx 117°F). Never once felt uncomfortable in garments.
Maybe I have a high tolerance of extremes.
It's the same with cold temperatures. I'm happy walking around in a pullover when everyone else are in coats etc, although I have noticed this is starting to change as I get older.
The only place I have been very uncomfortable was when I was in Rome in high summer. Very hot and very humid. I suspect that is the kind of thing you have experienced. If so, you have my sympathy.

jreuben
captain of 100

Post by jreuben »

Make your own. A lot of people consider it frugal and important given the evil path that is being pursued by leadership.

tdj
captain of 1,000

Post by tdj »

Lizzy60 wrote: December 11th, 2021, 6:22 pm
Refraction75 wrote: December 11th, 2021, 6:11 pm
Robin Hood wrote: December 11th, 2021, 11:16 am
Subcomandante wrote: December 11th, 2021, 10:52 am

How much do garments cost in Great Britain?

In Mexico it's between 1.50 and 2.50 US per pair.
A top is £3.90 and trunk £4.10 = total of £8.00.
I think that's about $11.00.
I think you need at least 10 pairs, so $110.00.
Is it completely wrong of me to think I can buy my own shirt and hand stitch the symbols on the garment myself? It's not like they are using magical thread or anything....It is just symbolism.
That is what was done in the past. The (one-piece) garment was sold at a department store and sold to whoever wanted them, and then the member sewed on the marks. My dad worked at the store in Provo that sold them, and when the garment transitioned to private sales only, he had non-member customers ask him where they could get them.

Good enough for members in the 50’s —— go for it!
One pieces? Dare I ask how in the world would someone go to the bathroom?

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

tdj wrote: December 19th, 2021, 3:52 pm
Lizzy60 wrote: December 11th, 2021, 6:22 pm
Refraction75 wrote: December 11th, 2021, 6:11 pm
Robin Hood wrote: December 11th, 2021, 11:16 am

A top is £3.90 and trunk £4.10 = total of £8.00.
I think that's about $11.00.
I think you need at least 10 pairs, so $110.00.
Is it completely wrong of me to think I can buy my own shirt and hand stitch the symbols on the garment myself? It's not like they are using magical thread or anything....It is just symbolism.
That is what was done in the past. The (one-piece) garment was sold at a department store and sold to whoever wanted them, and then the member sewed on the marks. My dad worked at the store in Provo that sold them, and when the garment transitioned to private sales only, he had non-member customers ask him where they could get them.

Good enough for members in the 50’s —— go for it!
One pieces? Dare I ask how in the world would someone go to the bathroom?
Think Union suits. Strategic flaps and openings. The two-piece garment was introduced in 1979. Yes, blacks were given the priesthood a year before we had separate tops and bottoms on our underwear.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Garments…..
Sigh. The more I think about it the less it makes sense. There is no doctrine saying clothing can protect us physically and spiritually.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Mamabear wrote: April 14th, 2022, 8:08 am There is no doctrine saying clothing can protect us physically and spiritually.
Agreed. Yet that doesn’t mean that garments won't make sense. It is only folklore that says that garments protect physically, but in reality that has never been their intention. What about spiritual protection? Well, the piece of fabric doesn’t protect you. Just like the water in the baptismal font won't clean you spiritually. If they don't mean anything to you, they won't protect you. They should mean something to you. They should remind you of the covenants you have made.

I think God understands human mind perfectly, and he knows that we need physical ordinances and outward expressions.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

inho wrote: April 14th, 2022, 8:54 am
Mamabear wrote: April 14th, 2022, 8:08 am There is no doctrine saying clothing can protect us physically and spiritually.
Agreed. Yet that doesn’t mean that garments won't make sense. It is only folklore that says that garments protect physically, but in reality that has never been their intention. What about spiritual protection? Well, the piece of fabric doesn’t protect you. Just like the water in the baptismal font won't clean you spiritually. If they don't mean anything to you, they won't protect you. They should mean something to you. They should remind you of the covenants you have made.

I think God understands human mind perfectly, and he knows that we need physical ordinances and outward expressions.
I understand what you’re saying, it’s how I used to feel.
I’ve come to study and know that the covenants I’ve made in the temple aren’t what they seem and are not necessary. So now garments for me are irrelevant.

FreedomJess
captain of 100

Post by FreedomJess »

Here goes my unpopular thoughts on garments.

When one REALLY thinks about it...
It’s almost Pharisee-esque how we place so much emphasis on pieces of material. Letter of the law. What about what is in one’s heart?

The ultimate form of rebellion in our church is removing one’s garments.
In fact, just typing this, would get me in trouble. Garments are a protected species.

I personally do not think Heavenly Father wants us uncomfortable. I don’t think he cares about what underwear we are wearing. It’s almost narcissistic to think this is something he is concerned with.

There are so many god-fearing people in the world that will never wear garments. And they are loved and are as loving or more than people in our church.

Garments are not a big deal for men. But for women....
Not attractive. And I’m a firm believer that how a woman feels under her clothing reflects into her outer appearance. I’m willing to say that garments contribute to frumpy women. Frumpy women are unhappy. Unhappy women make for miserable wives. Sex life will not be that great....

There’s other reasons women have a disadvantage with garments, but I will spare you.

If the garments are for a reminder of our covenants, why not a bracelet or a necklace?

If they are a way to show obedience in hot humid weather... showing how much we are willing to sacrifice... I could kinda see this. I used to tell myself this all the time. But I don’t anymore.

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

Garments came about as something used during the early temple ceremony. The saints in Nauvoo weren't required to wear them at all times. Joseph wasn't wearing any when he was killed. Temple wording and commitments have changed many times throughout the last 170 years. We have seen many changes in our lifetime alone. I think the requirement to wear them at all times came later and is more of a tradition of the fathers.

OPMissionary
captain of 100

Post by OPMissionary »

I ordered some garments in early January and they just barely got here. They were very expensive. Why does my fulfillment of commandments depend on my ability to afford things? This is a Pharisee culture though and through.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

FreedomJess wrote: April 14th, 2022, 10:09 am Here goes my unpopular thoughts on garments.

When one REALLY thinks about it...
It’s almost Pharisee-esque how we place so much emphasis on pieces of material. Letter of the law. What about what is in one’s heart?

The ultimate form of rebellion in our church is removing one’s garments.
In fact, just typing this, would get me in trouble. Garments are a protected species.

I personally do not think Heavenly Father wants us uncomfortable. I don’t think he cares about what underwear we are wearing. It’s almost narcissistic to think this is something he is concerned with.

There are so many god-fearing people in the world that will never wear garments. And they are loved and are as loving or more than people in our church.

Garments are not a big deal for men. But for women....
Not attractive. And I’m a firm believer that how a woman feels under her clothing reflects into her outer appearance. I’m willing to say that garments contribute to frumpy women. Frumpy women are unhappy. Unhappy women make for miserable wives. Sex life will not be that great....

There’s other reasons women have a disadvantage with garments, but I will spare you.

If the garments are for a reminder of our covenants, why not a bracelet or a necklace?

If they are a way to show obedience in hot humid weather... showing how much we are willing to sacrifice... I could kinda see this. I used to tell myself this all the time. But I don’t anymore.
I agree. It does remind me of the Pharisees…..I’ve been there and I was that person. Some women in the church are really judgemental on who is or isn’t wearing garments properly or at all. Who is more condemned the person not wearing or the person judging? I digress.
I’ve been studying covenants and I’ve come to many conclusions. I noticed a huge difference in Mosiah 4&5 and how they made covenants versus what we do in the temple. I think it’s a no brainer that they did it the right way in that they made covenants directly with God. They came to God, had a broken heart and contrite spirit and promised to serve Him. Thus they were accepted and the sign was they were given the baptism of the Holy Ghost.
In the temple some of our covenants are with ourselves, the church, etc. They differ blatantly from the pattern in the scriptures and are not supported doctrinally.