Marijuana is not against the WOW

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Marijuana is not against the WOW

Post by Niemand »

When it's under medical supervision and not smoked, according to Salt Lake:
marijuana is an addictive substance.... Such habit-forming substances should be avoided except under the care of a competent physician, and then used only as prescribed.
Church Handbook
The Church opposes the use of marijuana for non-medical purposes. See “Word of Wisdom and Healthy Practices” (38.7.14).

However, marijuana may be used for medicinal purposes when the following conditions are met:

The use is determined to be medically necessary by a licensed physician or another legally approved medical provider
The person follows the dosage and mode of administration from the physician or other authorized medical provider. The Church does not approve of vaping marijuana unless the medical provider has authorized it based on medical necessity.

The Church does not approve of smoking marijuana, including for medical purposes.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... a?lang=eng
Here are some facts about the Word of Wisdom:

In Doctrine and Covenants 89:8–9, the Lord forbids our using tobacco and “hot drinks,” which, Church leaders have explained, means tea and coffee.1

Modern prophets and apostles have frequently taught that the Word of Wisdom warns us against substances that can harm us or enslave us to addiction.2

So, with those facts in mind, let’s try to clear up a few items that Latter-day Saint youth today may find a little confusing.
Vaping, E-Cigarettes, Etc.
Electronic vaporizers or e-cigarettes are devices people use to inhale mist, usually with various flavors. One study showed that nearly two-thirds of teen e-cigarette users thought that the pods they were vaping contained only flavoring.3 That’s way, way far from the truth. Most vaping pods contain nicotine, which is highly addictive, and all of them contain harmful chemicals.4 Vaping is clearly against the Word of Wisdom.
Mocha, Latte, Macchiato, Etc.
The word coffee isn’t always in the name of coffee drinks. So, before you try what you think is just some new milkshake flavor, here are a couple of rules of thumb: (1) If you’re in a coffee shop (or any other shop that’s well-known for its coffee), the drink you’re ordering probably has coffee in it, so either never buy drinks at coffee shops or always ask if there’s coffee in it. (2) Drinks with names that include café or caffé, mocha, latte, espresso, or anything ending in -ccino are coffee and are against the Word of Wisdom.
Green Tea, Iced Tea
Green tea and black tea are both made from the leaves of the exact same tea plant. The only difference is that the leaves in black tea are fermented and in green tea they’re not. They’re both tea and against the Word of Wisdom. Some drinks have tea in them but don’t advertise that fact, so always check the ingredients. Also, iced tea is still tea.
Marijuana, Opioids
Marijuana may be legal for medicinal or even recreational use in a lot of places now, but that doesn’t mean that any use is suddenly not against the Word of Wisdom. Medical uses are being studied, but just like many pain medications such as opioids, marijuana is an addictive substance. Such habit-forming substances should be avoided except under the care of a competent physician, and then used only as prescribed.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Marijuana is not against the WOW

Post by Robin Hood »

I was on a plane from Salt Lake City to Newark NJ once and found myself sitting next to a young lady with the surname Tanner. She was related (granddaughter or great-granddaughter) to N. Eldon Tanner, formerly of the First Presidency. She was on her way to take part in American Idol.

It was a 4 or 5 hour flight so we got talking about a number of things. Eventually the word of wisdom came up. She had a question regarding coffee cake. She said some people think it's ok to eat it and some people don't, but what did I think?

I asked her "Is coffee cake a hot drink?"

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Weird, :lol:

Vaping is classed as bad because it contains Nicotine, but no Tobacco.

Coffee is classed as bad, not because it contains caffeine, but rather because it’s coffee.

Hyrum said Coffee and Tea, when asked for examples of “hot drinks”. The FDA has warned about drinking anything that is to hot.

It’s pretty obvious that hot means of high temperature, and later idiots completely blew it.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Robin Hood wrote: November 21st, 2021, 6:15 am I was on a plane from Salt Lake City to Newark NJ once and found myself sitting next to a young lady with the surname Tanner. She was related (granddaughter or great-granddaughter) to N. Eldon Tanner, formerly of the First Presidency. She was on her way to take part in American Idol.

It was a 4 or 5 hour flight so we got talking about a number of things. Eventually the word of wisdom came up. She had a question regarding coffee cake. She said some people think it's ok to eat it and some people don't, but what did I think?

Pres. McKay once ate some cake (or whatever it was) with some alcohol in it. When he was pulled up on it, he said, "Well the Word of Wisdom says nothing about eating it!"

Everybody has their own version. I stay away from Taurine products like Red Bull for example.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

BeNotDeceived wrote: November 21st, 2021, 6:23 am Weird, :lol:

Vaping is classed as bad because it contains Nicotine, but no Tobacco.

Coffee is classed as bad, not because it contains caffeine, but rather because it’s coffee.

Hyrum said Coffee and Tea, when asked for examples of “hot drinks”. The FDA has warned about drinking anything that is to hot.

It’s pretty obvious that hot means of high temperature, and later idiots completely blew it.
We belong to a religion where ice tea is classed as a hot drink whereas hot chocolate is not.

Don't even start on soup... I don't know if it is a drink or food!

Vaping is bad, "cos nicotine", but Coca Cola isn't "cos caffeine" (despite what some say.)

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

I can vape marijuana if my competent medical practitioner prescribes it, but I can’t drink warm green tea?

Upside-down bizarro church.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Robin Hood wrote: November 21st, 2021, 6:15 am I was on a plane from Salt Lake City to Newark NJ once and found myself sitting next to a young lady with the surname Tanner. She was related (granddaughter or great-granddaughter) to N. Eldon Tanner, formerly of the First Presidency. She was on her way to take part in American Idol.

There has never been any coffee in a "coffee cake" I have eaten (checked the ingredients).

We bought some ice cream with "Mocha" in small print on the label; checked; no mocha or any form of coffee in it. Weird.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

I would not even bother with a "medical provider"--as if, lol--unless the Church means "for legal reasons".

Western medicine and pharmaceuticals are waaaaaaaay too ingrained in the LDS communities, especially the Western ones.

I keep in mind that these are the rules laid down by people who believe that vaccines are literal godsends and energy healing is a Satanic scam.

We have a marijuana user in our ward--shunned in spiritual things, not even assigned as a minister. No one in the ward understands that the pain is very real and very strong, making life miserable and sometimes almost unbearable; self-medicating is a heck of a lot cheaper, and is much safer (not safe, he and I know that) than any pharmaceutical medicine. Talk with ward members almost anywhere, and: It's great to be on SSRI's and valium, but oh heck no, not marijuana! (No, I have never used marijuana.)

On the other hand... I stand with no coffee, no tea, no alcohol, etc. Even when my relative was on coffee for the caffeine for her weak heart, I wondered if there wasn't a better way. She likely could have gotten caffeine pills, but they were much more expensive and dangerous than coffee. I still don't know, lol. BTW, tea is not just white or black tea--it's all tea from a tea leaf, including kombucha, white/green/black/red, special Chinese/Japanese- named tea (Oolong, Puer), etc. The originals are clear, for me-- revelation--and any unnecessary thing that's addictive and destroying--the rest I try to use with avoidance, caution, and prudence, as much as possible.

Then there is diet, health, sleep, etc., in which I try to live correct principles.

I think it would help if they added "screens" to the WoW.

Maybe I need to get back to bed before writing more, lol...

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Lizzy60 wrote: November 21st, 2021, 6:30 am I can vape marijuana if my competent medical practitioner prescribes it, but I can’t drink warm green tea?

Well, they say you can't vape nicotine, but you can take medical marijuana... so who knows?

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

JohnnyL wrote: November 21st, 2021, 7:53 am
I keep in mind that these are the rules laid down by people who believe that vaccines are literal godsends and energy healing is a Satanic scam.

We have a marijuana user in our ward--shunned in spiritual things, not even assigned as a minister. No one in the ward understands that the pain is very real and very strong, making life miserable and sometimes almost unbearable; self-medicating is a heck of a lot cheaper, and is much safer (not safe, he and I know that) than any pharmaceutical medicine. Talk with ward members almost anywhere, and: It's great to be on SSRI's and valium, but oh heck no, not marijuana! (No, I have never used marijuana.)
Good points. I believe marijuana is very good for arthritis and rheumatism. It has, erm, other effects though. Especially on teenagers.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

I follow the word of wisdom as well as the guy who gave it to you

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

What better way is there to have a spiritual experience?

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

Lizzy60 wrote: November 21st, 2021, 6:30 am I can vape marijuana if my competent medical practitioner prescribes it, but I can’t drink warm green tea?

You can also pound energy drinks and junk food, or take experimental injections. You know, for your health.

Isn't that interesting 🤔 drinking coffee or green tea could result in your temple recommend being revoked for not following the "Word of Wisdom"... but the 500lb man is just fine.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: November 21st, 2021, 8:16 am What better way is there to have a spiritual experience?
Yep, according to the Rastas. (I see some Rastas don't want it legalised as people will abuse it.) :D

Gib me dee 'erb, mon!

abijah`
~dog days~

Post by abijah` »

Can't wait till marijuana (not sure what Mary and John have to do w/ it 🤔) is old news. This stuff all had its origins with fallen angels teaching about this world's botany and technology.

Zion will have her version (the good wine at the end of the feast), angels revealing New`Creation botanies and technologies, and I bet they'll be lit.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

I'd refer you to DC 59. The entire section is useful, but with respect to marijuana, read v 15 to the end of this section in conjunction with DC 89.

Then use your God-given WISDOM to make your life choices.

abijah`
~dog days~

Post by abijah` »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: November 21st, 2021, 8:16 am What better way is there to have a spiritual experience?
Shrooms? :lol: 2023: "First Presidency Announces Psilocybin and MDMA Therapy is in Keeping with WoW When Overseen by Certified Physician"

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

abijah` wrote: November 21st, 2021, 8:32 am Can't wait till marijuana (not sure what Mary and John have to do w/ it 🤔) is old news. This stuff all had its origins with fallen angels teaching about this world's botany and technology.

Zion will have her version (the good wine at the end of the feast), angels revealing New`Creation botanies and technologies, and I bet they'll be lit.
You find the awesomest parallels man. I mean that with utmost respect and admiration. It is NOT easy to find and connect those parallels, as you obviously have the gift of doing. I'm just glad you shares them here with us.
Last edited by Cruiserdude on November 21st, 2021, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

abijah`
~dog days~

Post by abijah` »

JohnnyL wrote: November 21st, 2021, 7:53 am I think it would help if they added "screens" to the WoW.
seriously though...

Imagine if screens and having an actual good diet were requirements, how much emptier the temples would be

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

The church making all this into a commandment in order to go to the celestial Kingdom is just another pharasee abomination and corruption. Completely uninspired and illogical on so many fronts. I regularly saw obese people in the temple. It's upside down and a test of obedience to men, not God.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

nightlight wrote: November 21st, 2021, 8:14 am I follow the word of wisdom as well as the guy who gave it to you
Joseph or Jesus?

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

One test for any principle is does it make sense.

Too me, obviously.

Your mileage may vary.

In my experience, the further away something is from the original.

The more flaws begin to appear.

I think the intent of the word of wisdom is doctrinal and sound.

One important note supporting this is how it is primarily encouraged because of the weaknesses of those among us.

Another is, warnings of the questionable ethics of conspiring men.

Of course, there doesn't seem to be any conspiring men brewing up these so called energy drinks, so they are okay.

But the most important indication that is revelatory is that it was given as advice and NOT by way of commandment.

This is an important part of free agency.

We get to choose for ourselves.

I believe the adding of the WofW question to the Temple Worthiness interview came about after Utah, the swing vote I believe, rejected the church's council and voted to repeal Prohibition.

This leads me to believe that we are dealing with a pet peeve and not a revelation.

Like wearing suits and ties.

And because there was no revelatory change to the wording of the WofW in the D&C.

We know they have changed other wordings they didn't like.

Someone just didn't want us to choose to do something they didn't approve of.

I believe that's called unrighteous dominion.

It is okay to ban the use of prohibited items on church property, but not outside of their religious jurisdiction.

Joseph Smith drank Coffee up until his death.

I am sure many others did as well.

Once again, we need to follow the guidance of the Holy Ghost in deciding what to put into our bodies.

Our physical and spiritual health requires it.

Sir H
Last edited by HVDC on November 21st, 2021, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Robin Hood wrote: November 21st, 2021, 9:10 am
nightlight wrote: November 21st, 2021, 8:14 am I follow the word of wisdom as well as the guy who gave it to you
Joseph or Jesus?
Joseph lol
though Jesus did come eating and drinking as well

For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, He hath a devil.

19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

20 Then began he to upbraid the cities wherein most of his mighty works were done, because they repented not:
-------------

Imo
I don't believe the Word of Wisdom is 💯 correct.
These alternative dietary principles were trending in Joseph's day

We eat animals.... Jesus even cooked it up for His ilk AFTER resurrection. I understand the importance of agriculture and how it is a marker of a civilized people....but a God cooked and served flesh....so....

But when the morning was now come, Jesus stood on the shore: but the disciples knew not that it was Jesus.

5 Then Jesus saith unto them, Children, have ye any meat? They answered him, No.

6 And he said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes.

7 Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved saith unto Peter, It is the Lord. Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his fisher's coat unto him, (for he was naked,) and did cast himself into the sea.

8 And the other disciples came in a little ship; (for they were not far from land, but as it were two hundred cubits,) dragging the net with fishes.

9 As soon then as they were come to land, they saw a fire of coals there, and fish laid thereon, and bread.

10 Jesus saith unto them, Bring of the fish which ye have now caught.

11 Simon Peter went up, and drew the net to land full of great fishes, an hundred and fifty and three: and for all there were so many, yet was not the net broken.

12 Jesus saith unto them, Come and dine. And none of the disciples durst ask him, Who art thou? knowing that it was the Lord.

13 Jesus then cometh, and taketh bread, and giveth them, and fish likewise.

14 This is now the third time that Jesus shewed himself to his disciples, after that he was risen from the dead.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

abijah` wrote: November 21st, 2021, 8:50 am
Shrooms? :lol: 2023: "First Presidency Announces Psilocybin and MDMA Therapy is in Keeping with WoW When Overseen by Certified Physician"
Not far off, actually... Probably only for hospice patients, though.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

abijah` wrote: November 21st, 2021, 8:53 am
JohnnyL wrote: November 21st, 2021, 7:53 am I think it would help if they added "screens" to the WoW.
seriously though...

Imagine if screens and having an actual good diet were requirements, how much emptier the temples would be.
Either that, or I might see more than one person on my walks (not rare), and the average adult ward weight might drop 40lbs. (Although, skinny =/= healthy.)