homeschool workbooks

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Juliet
captain of 1,000

homeschool workbooks

Post by Juliet »

Don't all thank me at once!

If you are homeschooling and you want to make sure your child is learning the basics for each year, I would suggest these workbooks I created. They are for grades 2-6, and by doing them, your child will get effective practice in preparing to take the California State Test. (Some states require a yearly state test for homeschool children, and the CAT is a great choice because it offers the online version).

https://homeschoolworkbooks.weebly.com/

These are also first or second editions, I expect an occasional error to be found. If you would comment on my blog if you find any errors, I would be appreciative!

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: homeschool workbooks

Post by JohnnyL »

Thank you!

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

Are you really offering these for free? They look great! Some of our children who are homeschooling their children will be very interested!

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Allison wrote: November 14th, 2021, 9:36 pm Are you really offering these for free? They look great! Some of our children who are homeschooling their children will be very interested!
Yes. I need to reformat the fifth grade worksheets I hope to fix that as soon as possible. So, it's not perfect but yes it is free! Ok, got the formatting fixed for the most part, should be good to go now.
Last edited by Juliet on November 15th, 2021, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

That is simply one of the most touching things I’ve heard in a long time! There are quite a few parents out there who want to homeschool their children but lack the confidence and/or the money to do so.

That is the reason I am developing two phonics programs that I also want to put out there for free. But reading is only one facet of the educational requirement.

Parents everywhere need to be empowered to withdraw their children any time they see the need!

Do you have a plan to get your system seen far and wide?

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Allison wrote: November 14th, 2021, 9:52 pm That is simply one of the most touching things I’ve heard in a long time! There are quite a few parents out there who want to homeschool their children but lack the confidence and/or the money to do so.

That is the reason I am developing two phonics programs that I also want to put out there for free. But reading is only one facet of the educational requirement.

Parents everywhere need to be empowered to withdraw their children any time they see the need!

Do you have a plan to get your system seen far and wide?
Well, these are more supplemental. I recommend having a system and then using the workbooks to check to make sure your child is learning the basics. They function so that as a parent, you can make sure you are covering your bases. The way I homeschool is I have my kids practice writing, reading, and doing the saxon math lessons. Then we go through the worksheets a few months before the end of year test so they are learning their grammar, spelling words, and testing their math skills and reading comprehension. So, these are meant to be supplements to a regular curriculum, albeit the regular curriculum can be quite simple.

The phonics books sound wonderful. I use hundred easy lessons for my kids but it has some flaws in it.

I have a paypal button for those who want to donate. But if I really wanted to make money I will continue to need to flesh out the errors and continue to update them until they are of a quality to be published.

There are lots of homeschool books out there, like at costco you can pick stuff up for each grade. The issue I have is there are too many worksheets in there, and there is so much "noise" in them. Too many colors, pictures, and extra fluff. I just want the bare bones basics. When we are here to learn something, I want full concentration on that. I don't want to be distracted by colors and pictures. I understand they make it more entertaining, but sometimes it makes things more complicated when all I really need my child to do is simply learn and practice a concept with a few minutes of steady focus and concentration.

I also want to know that when I am done with those worksheets I have practiced everything I need to know, as opposed to having 300 pages to do and not knowing which ones take a priority.

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

Looking back, I would streamline and simplify, focusing heavily on getting the three R’s really solid. I would use phonics for reading (plus loads of decoder library books weekly until each child was ready to move on), Calculadders (and a set of base ten blocks) for math every day, and then penmanship and Easy Grammar for writing. With prolific reading (and being read to a lot), of quality children’s literature, the spelling and self-expression parts seemed to come naturally. Probably the same goes for grammar, but Easy Grammar was so fun!

Then the rest—history, civics, science, nature, art, music, cooking, etc., could just be filled in with many field trips and the joy of igniting and satisfying curiosity together.

If I could do it over, I would only sweat the three R’s up through upper elementary, and even at that, keep it super simple and consistent. That part alone can be fun if not overdone, and then the rest is all the joy of discovery, right? Or am I just glamorizing the past because of not living in the trenches for a long time?

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Allison wrote: November 15th, 2021, 12:08 pm Looking back, I would streamline and simplify, focusing heavily on getting the three R’s really solid. I would use phonics for reading (plus loads of decoder library books weekly until each child was ready to move on), Calculadders (and a set of base ten blocks) for math every day, and then penmanship and Easy Grammar for writing. With prolific reading (and being read to a lot), of quality children’s literature, the spelling and self-expression parts seemed to come naturally. Probably the same goes for grammar, but Easy Grammar was so fun!

Then the rest—history, civics, science, nature, art, music, cooking, etc., could just be filled in with many field trips and the joy of igniting and satisfying curiosity together.

If I could do it over, I would only sweat the three R’s up through upper elementary, and even at that, keep it super simple and consistent. That part alone can be fun if not overdone, and then the rest is all the joy of discovery, right? Or am I just glamorizing the past because of not living in the trenches for a long time?
Yeah I say just keep it simple