Post Spamming / Trolling issue on LDS Freedom Forum

How can we improve the forum? Need help with something on the forum?
Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post Spamming / Trolling issue on LDS Freedom Forum

Post by Sunain »

In the past few months, there has been a very noticeable uptick in trolling and spamming users. These posters generally have way too many posts in a given thread to the point that it's become spam. It makes reading this forum very hard and annoying as we have to sort through these trolling spam posts.

The level of moderation needs to increase significantly to combat this issue.

Perhaps a rule limiting the number of reply posts in a row because I've seen many instances where these trolls will block quote one user, reply, then make another large block quote to reply to another user rather than doing multiple specific quote reply in a single post. The only reason to do this is to make their posts noticeable and annoying.

Educating forum members how to properly quote specific lines rather than block quoting every time may require a sticky like the how to quote news articles one.

I come to this forum to learn and see what other members of the church are discussing, not to be annoyed by post spamming and trolling which are all to common on mainstream social media websites.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Post Spamming / Trolling issue on LDS Freedom Forum

Post by Chip »

Yes, these trolls are here to argue and throw chaff into the air. I really can't see how they could be motivated from within to bother doing this. They convince nobody of anything and their arguments ring hollow. Maybe they are being paid. I really can't see them doing this for free.

hyloglyph
captain of 1,000

Post by hyloglyph »

Sunain wrote: October 7th, 2021, 7:12 am In the past few months, there has been a very noticeable uptick in trolling and spamming users. These posters generally have way too many posts in a given thread to the point that it's become spam. It makes reading this forum very hard and annoying as we have to sort through these trolling spam posts.

Perhaps a rule limiting the number of reply posts in a row because I've seen many instances where these trolls will block quote one user, reply, then make another large block quote to reply to another user rather than doing multiple specific quote reply in a single post. The only reason to do this is to make their posts noticeable and annoying.

Educating forum members how to properly quote specific lines rather than block quoting every time may require a sticky like the how to quote news articles one.

I come to this forum to learn and see what other members of the church are discussing, not to be annoyed by post spamming and trolling which are all to common on mainstream social media websites.
Let’s come up with a bunch of new rules and put a poster with the initials E L in charge. We can get a bunch of stuff deleted

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

hyloglyph wrote: October 7th, 2021, 10:27 am
Sunain wrote: October 7th, 2021, 7:12 am In the past few months, there has been a very noticeable uptick in trolling and spamming users. These posters generally have way too many posts in a given thread to the point that it's become spam. It makes reading this forum very hard and annoying as we have to sort through these trolling spam posts.

Let’s come up with a bunch of new rules and put a poster with the initials E L in charge. We can get a bunch of stuff deleted
Elbur went down in flames, and hasn’t been back sense.

Sometimes I miss the little guy. :lol: