October 2021 General Conference Live Thread

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
HVDC
captain of 1,000

Re: October 2021 General Conference Live Thread

Post by HVDC »

1775peasant wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 3:10 pm Rasband: “is this the first time a apostle has been in ur home”?

barf!!!

who even considers putting such self gratifying statements in a talk for the public?
Yes, but the Holy Ghost visits daily since you are so busy.

Ugh.

Sir H

NewEliza
captain of 1,000

Post by NewEliza »

keeprunning wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 3:31 pm
NewEliza wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 3:12 pm
diligently seeking wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 3:07 pm
NewEliza wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 3:00 pm
Maybe I’m just a pessimist or maybe we heard different talks lol
What’s not to like about this topic and her presentation? We in this life struggle with being whole. The solution and the spring board for receiving all desired truths and over coming the burden of this “vale of sorrow” comes from having the pure love of Christ with us on the regular… 😊❤️
Literally everyone has Jesus’ love. Which is great. But Knowing Jesus loves you does little for you. We shouldn’t strive to feel his love, we should strive to feel his approval.

Pleasing god is how to feel whole. Thinking about how much he loves you might make you feel good, but it won’t motivate you to do anything. The truly only way to feel good is to DO good.

Just sounded like postmodernism to me
That's the very beginnings of gaining our testimonies, though. How do you come to love Him if you don't know first His love for you?
I disagree, I realize as mortals we love him because he first loved us, but ideally, we would strive to serve him even if we weren’t sure yet about his love.

You gain love for someone by serving them, no matter how they feel about you.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

h_p wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 3:26 pm
Lizzy60 wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 3:15 pm
dewajack wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 3:03 pm Enjoying conference thus far. In full disclosure, I like Elder Rasband's talks the least of any of the 12, repeatedly. Hoping this will be different. I'm thinking he'll gush over Pres. Nelson, hoping I'm wrong.
You’re not wrong.
According to Rasband, Nelson is giving us increased revelation through multiple venues (social media, interviews, etc) now because of the increased need for it. It hasn't been just an outreach initiative. Plus, with the emphatic podium-pounding "Nelson speaks for God every time he speaks," statement, he just put us all on notice. Anybody saying that the "we urge you to get the vaccine" letter was just a recommendation, and not a commandment is now officially wrong.
I guess President Nelson has achieved infallibility now if "every time he speaks" it is the word of God? I have no problem recognizing our leaders to be prophets, seers, and revelators for the body of the church, but they are also mortal men prone to error. I know people who were told by doctors that if they got the second part of the mRNA treatment it would kill them because of their reaction to the first. Their arm swelled up and broke out with massive rash and blisters an inch or two across and was hospitalized for it. So should she go get a couple more shots anyway and die? I've already had Covid so I have natural immunity which has proven far superior, do I need to risk my life for the common adverse effects of these experimental treatments?

The letter ALSO said that we would "win the war" by "FOLLOWING" the "WISE" recommendations of medical experts. But WHICH medical experts because they DON'T all agree, in fact, many medical experts warn against these mRNA treatments. They are indeed killing people, it's by far and above the most dangerous "shot" that has ever been released and that is a demonstrable fact. The First Presidency can put as many letters as they want out there that are basically the same thing the government, the media, celebrities, etc. are all saying.

We are still a church of common consent and have fallible leaders and the obligation to follow their guidance along with our own spiritual witness. If someone wants to go and get the shot and it's a poison, then Paul said that believers can be healed from serpent bites. That doesn't mean that I need to go and play with serpents. God knows our hearts and intents. I don't think that not getting these shots is condemning anyone. Medical decisions need to be made one by one on an individual basis. Follow the wise recommendations of medical experts, that's what the first presidency said and that's what I'm doing and why I'm not wearing masks or taking the most deadly and injurious experimental mRNA treatments ever unleashed on mankind.

“The First Presidency cannot claim, individually or collectively, infallibility.”
George Q. Cannon Gospel Truth: Discourses and Writings of President George Q. Cannon, 1957, 1:206

“I make no claim of infallibility.”
Spencer W. Kimball, Improvement Era, June 1970, p. 93

“We make no claim of infallibility or perfection in the prophets, seers, and revelators.”
James E. Faust, Ensign, November 1989, p. 11

“We respect and venerate” (the president of the Church), but “we do not believe that his personal views or utterances are revelations from God.”
Elder Charles W. Penrose, Millennial Star, 54:191

“Even the President of the Church has not always spoken under the direction of the Holy Ghost.”
Elder J. Reuben Clark, quoted in Faithful History: Essays on Writing Mormon History, p. 82

“…if He (God) should suffer him (Joseph Smith) to lead the people astray, it would be because they ought to be led astray…it would be because they deserved it…”
Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, 4:297-298

“The First Presidency have of right a great influence over this people; and if we should get out of the way and lead this people to destruction, what a pity it would be! How can you know whether we lead you correctly, or not? Can you know by any other power than that of the Holy Ghost? I have uniformly exhorted the people to obtain this living witness each for themselves; then no man on earth can lead them astray.”
Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, 6:100

“I am more afraid that this people have so much confidence in their leaders that they will not inquire for themselves of God whether they are led by him. I am fearful they settle down in a state of blind self-security, trusting their eternal destiny in the hands of their leaders with a reckless confidence that in itself would thwart the purposes of God in their salvation…Let every man and woman know, by the whispering of the Spirit of God to themselves, whether their leaders are walking in the path the Lord dictates, or not.”
Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, 14:205

“Individual members are encouraged to independently strive to receive their own spiritual confirmation of the truthfulness of Church doctrine. Moreover, the Church exhorts all people to approach the gospel not only intellectually but with the intellect and the spirit, a process in which reason and faith work together.”
Official Church web site The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

“The Lord uses imperfect people…He often allows their errors to stand uncorrected. He may have a purpose in doing so, such as to teach us that religious truth comes forth “line upon line, precept upon precept” in a process of sifting and winnowing similar to the one I know so well in science.”
Henry Eyring, Reflections of a Scientist, p. 47

“We are all liable to error; are subject, more or less, to the errors incident to the human family. We would be pleased to get along without these errors, and many may think that a man in my standing ought to be perfect; no such thing.”
Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, 10:212

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

"Keep the Gospel simple" - Elder Stevenson

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

My heart is being touched by this story. I'm happy for the youth that found fellowship from that man's ministering work.

Information is rarely perfect, but just being around some like-minded believers of Christ can save your life, even if everything isn't exactly accurate or correct. I like this from Elder Stevenson

It is interesting to me how much my life has been blessed by the church, even if inwardly I have major concerns and find it to be faulty/dishonest/compromised at the top. I can't deny how I've been helped by people in it. I'm not asking for perfection. I just know I'm not all in on the whole message anymore.

I won't and can't divulge that to family though. I'd never divulge it to youth, or I suppose to anyone. It's not my place to harm someone's views when all I have are my personal concerns that things have gone off course somewhere.

I suppose if my concern is right, time will reveal that, to those around me, with the power and authority of God.

BringerOfJoy
captain of 100

Post by BringerOfJoy »

1775peasant wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 12:10 pm
perhaps it’s just me, but since RMN took over…..everything is about diversity(worldly utopian goals/desires), the shows now on BYUtv, the commercials, BYU’s trend to Babylon, the Mormon Messages….etc other than a few minutes of Elder Holland’s BYU talk a few backs now?

i’ve said it before, but my belief is that RMN is running full throttle away from the historical Mormon stereotype…….and the way they have handled the Scamdemic imo, demonstrates this to a “T”!……no reliance on old time Mormon faith & works……instead we now follow lockstep with Govt’s arm of flesh, hiding in fear! …....and to those “Mormon’s” still practicing the “old faith”, well they fail to be good “Global Citizens” and are not exercising “Christlike” attributes……..
I never voluntarily watch BYU-TV anymore, but occasionally it's on when I walk through the room. The day I saw John Legend advertising for the channel, I nearly coughed up a hairball. There is so much good that COULD be done on that channel, but no: John Legend. I need that running-around-with-hair-on-fire emoticon.
Last edited by BringerOfJoy on October 2nd, 2021, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farmerchick
captain of 1,000

Post by farmerchick »

tribrac wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 2:22 pm Franjlinbluth half the time "I'm smarter than all of you"

Franklinbluth the other half the time " you are all stupider than me."

Franklinbluth all the time: You guys shouldn't be upset with me.
Lololol....no truer comment could be made about dear fb....

KittyRose
captain of 10

Post by KittyRose »

BuriedTartaria wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 3:51 pm My heart is being touched by this story. I'm happy for the youth that found fellowship from that man's ministering work.

Information is rarely perfect, but just being around some like-minded believers of Christ can save your life, even if everything isn't exactly accurate or correct. I like this from Elder Stevenson

It is interesting to me how much my life has been blessed by the church, even if inwardly I have major concerns and find it to be faulty/dishonest/compromised at the top. I can't deny how I've been helped by people in it. I'm not asking for perfection. I just know I'm not all in on the whole message anymore.

I won't and can't divulge that to family though. I'd never divulge it to youth, or I suppose to anyone. It's not my place to harm someone's views when all I have are my personal concerns that things have gone off course somewhere.

I suppose if my concern is right, time will reveal that, to those around me, with the power and authority of God.
I feel the same way. I just want some truth, and maybe an acknowledgement that the leaders aren't always speaking revelation but maybe from their own opinions. This whole vax thing has me questioning everything they say and watching with a much more scrutinizing eye and discerning ear. Elder Rasband's comments annoyed me greatly.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

BringerOfJoy wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 3:59 pm
I never voluntarily watch BYU-TV anymore, but occasionally it's on when I walk through the room.
This is how I am with the local Utah news. I won't look at Deseret News, KSL, etc.

Utah, the state in general, including BYU, the church, etc, tries so hard to be included with the world.
What kills me is bias can clearly be seen in the local Utah news. Promoting certain ideas to groom public perception is there.
But so many people in my life don't see it that way :/

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Say what? wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 1:08 am This thread is full of hate. It’s time to start a new thread. This thread should be for the hate and the other thread for just the random thoughts on conference.
Why don't you add some random thoughts? I'm sure some talks will be better than other. I already have to quarantine and isolate myself from non-stop Covid stories for the sake of my mental health and I'm afraid GC may be full of them.

If you see/hear something positive mention it.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

Also, I don’t think Pres. Nelson is suddenly going to go rogue and steer all the members toward hell. But what is “astray?” There’s a big difference between full on Satanic corruption and simply being wrong on this or that, minor stuff just because you’re mortal.

And you can’t ignore a long life of service and standing as a witness of God in the capacity he has. You take Rasband’s words and his personal knowledge of Nelson and that he is saying that Nelson is not the kind of guy that would ever intentionally seek to lead a person astray. That may be 100% true but is it possible that the first presidency or twelve can make unrighteous decisions, read D&C 107.

So I just want to be clear that I don’t think any of the leadership are “evil” scoundrels, they may be some of the best among us. Our family knows one of the apostles from way back when and he has always been a solid dude.

That said, we should never ever apply infallibility to mortals, it’s dangerous.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Pazooka wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 11:43 am General pattern of Oak’s observations about those who don’t attend worship facilities is the insinuation that they are selfish. He has repeated that a couple of times.
Pretty bad considering when many churches were shut around the world and some people didn't attend for fear of the Coove.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

The church is all about adherence to the globalist COVID scam. TWICE, they pointed out that everyone in the Conference Center was fully vaxxed, didn't they?

This tells me that unless the COVID narrative blows up in their face, they will eventually get around to requiring that everyone in local church buildings be vaxxed. This would be a proper tribute to their NWO masters.

SPIRIT
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by SPIRIT »

SPIRIT wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 8:27 am
SPIRIT wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 8:26 am
Subcomandante wrote: October 1st, 2021, 2:25 pm Hello everyone!

It is currently 2:22 PM Mountain time as I write this, on Friday, October 1st.

General Conference is now less than 24 hours away. I am hereby starting this thread so that we all can discuss and analyze the upcoming conference. I also wanted to give 24 hours notice so that we can talk about things that we have been hearing in the news lately leading up to this conference.

Also, if someone has any temple predictions for the upcoming conference, let's have at it.
seriously - what is so exciting for you! (serious question) - you really do idolize these MEN ?)
You make it sound like the Lord Himself will be speaking. - (the countdown - counting down the minutes)

Sorry to tell ya, but if want to hear the word of the Lord, you've come to the wrong place.
You won't be hearing "the word of the Lord" at conference. *** "The Spirit of Prophecy"

"Ephraim and its prophets reap disaster for being delusional and for rejecting divine revelation"
Isaiah 28

However - what you WILL hear - is nice talks (with their mouth and lips - scripture below) -
pre-planned (6mo. to prepare) and written by who knows who.
*** 13 Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me,
but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:

Isaiah 29

If you want to hear the word of the Lord -
The word right now - to The Drunkards of Ephraim (church leaders) Isa. 28 - is -

14 Therefore hear the word of Jehovah, you scoffers who preside over these people in Jerusalem.
15 You have supposed, by taking refuge in deception and hiding behind falsehoods,to have covenanted with Death,or reached an understanding with Sheol, that,should a flooding scourge sweep through the earth,it shall not reach you.

By seeking “refuge in deception” instead of in Jehovah (Isaiah 4:6; 25:4), and by “hiding behind falsehoods” instead of acknowledging the truth (Isaiah 9:15; 32:6), Ephraim’s leaders rely on their own counsel as epitomized by a “Covenant with Death.” Such a policy leads to death at the hands of Jehovah’s agent of death, the king of Assyria/Babylon, in Jehovah’s Day of Judgment. Having turned into scoffers of Jehovah’s word, they think to escape the “flooding scourge”—the power of the archtyrant (v 2). Rejecting Jehovah’s Covenant of Life (Isaiah 55:3), they end up in Sheol—Hell or the underworld.

16 Therefore, thus says my Lord Jehovah:I lay in Zion a stone, a keystone, a precious cornerstone, a sure foundation.
They who believe it will not do rashly.
17 I will make justice the measure,righteousness the weight; a hail shall sweep away your false refuge
and waters flood the hiding place.

In spite of their repudiating Jehovah’s word, the leaders of his people “in Zion” are to hear it anyway (v 14). Although there are among them those who will not believe it, some do believe. Consequently, Jehovah empowers (1) his servant—a stone or seer who acts as antidote to the erring seers (v 7); and (2) the archtyrant and his alliance—the hail and “waters” that flood the hiding place (v 2; Isaiah 17:12; 32:19). This results in a reconstruction of Jehovah’s people based on justice—as carried out by Jehovah’s exemplar of righteousness (Isaiah 41:2; 42:1-4)—and in the demise of the mockers.

18 Your covenant with Death shall prove void,by our understanding with Sheol have no effect:when the flooding scourge sweeps through,you shall be overrun by it.
19 As often as it sweeps through,you shall be seized by it:morning after morning it shall sweep through,by day and by night it shall seize you;it shall cause terror merely to hear word of it.

The façade the leaders of Jehovah’s people maintain that hides their Covenant with Death (v 15) is swept away in Jehovah’s Day of Judgment when the king of Assyria/Babylon—the scourge of the wicked—overruns their Promised Land. Those unprepared to receive Jehovah’s new revelation (v 16; Isaiah 42:9; 48:6-8)—because they have mistaken the old or taken it lightly (Isaiah 41:26-29; 50:10-11)—face a protracted period of Jehovah’s justice. In the pattern of ancient Assyria’s and Babylon’s destructions of Jehovah’s people and their lands, his people’s apostasy triggers Jehovah’s Day of Judgment.
******* Here's a way - on how to judge a true prophet.
If you are going to waste your time and listen to conference,
maybe some of you can try to see if you can hear -

"The Spirit of Prophecy"

"As we watch General Conference we should look for the spirit of prophecy."
not just listen to nice talks that they took months to prepare.

If Jesus himself has said -

3 Nephi 23:1- 4
1 "And now, behold, I say unto you,
that ye ought to search these things.
Yea, a commandment I give unto
you that ye search these things diligently;
for great are the words of Isaiah."

Why does our prophet and church leaders never talk about Isaiah or quote him ?
Could it be that they don't understand him ? and if they don't understand him, do they really have the spirit of prophecy ?

"Wherefore, hearken, O my people, which are of the house of Israel,
and give ear unto my words; for because the words of Isaiah are not plain unto you,
nevertheless they are plain unto all those that are filled with the spirit of prophecy
"
(2 Nephi 25:4) in part

"The scriptures warn us that in the last days there will be prophets who do not prophesy and seers who do not see (Isaiah 30:10). Jesus also warned that there would be false prophets and an abundance of men teaching their own precepts to get gain, so that even the very elect will be deceived (2 Nephi 26:29; JS Matthew 1:22).

As Latter-day Saints we must learn what a true prophet is
and we must learn to discern between true and false prophets lest we also be deceived.

The scriptures provide a standard by which we can all judge.
Simply put, a prophet must have the spirit of prophecy in order to be a true prophet. This is the sign.

As we watch General Conference we should look for the spirit of prophecy.
We should measure carefully what is being said. We should pray that those who we sustain as prophets will prophesy and speak prophetically because when prophets and seers, prophesy and see, they become a great benefit to their fellow man (Mosiah 8:18). This is the means whereby we can receive salvation.
If men who are called prophets do not have the spirit of prophecy we can know they are false prophets.
Nephi gives us an important bar by which we can measure:

Wherefore, hearken, O my people, which are of the house of Israel,
and give ear unto my words; for because the words of Isaiah are not plain unto you,
nevertheless they are plain unto all those that are filled with the spirit of prophecy
(2 Nephi 25:4).

All prophets will understand the words of Isaiah.
They will also share the testimony of the Savior and of Nephi and others that the words of Isaiah are great!

When’s the last time you heard an LDS prophet give a talk on the words of Isaiah in General Conference?
When Jesus came to the Nephites, He gave them the “commandment to search these things diligently;
for great are the words of Isaiah.”
Do the servants of the Lord today emphasize this same commandment?

Today’s prophets write books such as: Counseling With Our Councils,
The Christmas Train, A Future As Bright As Your Faith, To The Rescue, Forget Me Not, and 21 Principles.

The above may be excellent topics,
but why do today’s LDS prophets not speak or write of Isaiah?
Why do they not rejoice in his words?
Why do they not explain what his words mean?
If these words are so great and so relevant to us in our day, why are the so called prophets
not using their “spirit of prophecy” in a way that would render Isaiah’s vital words easier to understand?

Is it possible that these prophets do not understand the words of Isaiah?
If so, can they be true prophets?
Jesus said “ALL who have the spirit of prophecy” will easily understand Isaiah’s words.
They will comprehend them in plainness.

If these prophets rely upon trained scholars to understand Isaiah,
would this be evidence that such men are not true prophets?

I leave that for you to judge."

end quote
like I said - nothing new here -
No spirit of prophecy
No "thus sayeth the Lord"
No revelation received. etc. etc.
NOTHING FROM THE LORD.

nothing here that you could even consider to be spoken as the spirit dictates.
Just nice talks - (that they had 6 mo. to prepare by whoever helps prepare them)

You would think it should be odd to members - that at this critical time we're in - with all the problems etc.,
that - someone claiming to be the one and only true prophet of the Lord - the Lord's mouthpiece -
don't you think it's odd - that we hear NOTHING from the Lord ?
no revelations received to direct the church -
no "thus sayeth the Lord" from his so-called prophet. -
speaking to us as a prophet would - revealing to us the Lord's will at this time when we need it the most in these END-TIMES ?

This definitely shows what our relationship is with the Lord at this time.

HEAR THE WORD OF THE LORD - "for great are the words of Isaiah"

Isaiah 1
Israel’s ancient apostasy typifies an end-time apostasy, with salvation reserved for some who repent.

4 Alas, a nation astray, a people weighed down by sin, the offspring of wrongdoers,
perverse children: they have forsaken Jehovah,
they have spurned the Holy One of Israel,

they have lapsed into apostasy.

From addressing his people personally as “Israel . . . my people” (v 3),
Jehovah now addresses them impersonally as “a nation,” signifying their alienated state.

Additionally, a regression occurs from his people’s simply going “astray” to their burdening themselves with “sin,” which, over time, ends in outright “wrongdoing.” That occurs collectively and generationally.
The “offspring of wrongdoers” turn into “perverse children,”
meaning that the rising generation has by now become thoroughly corrupt.
“Forsaking” Jehovah and “spurning” him finally become conscious and deliberate acts.

The Holy One of Israel. The title of “Holy One,” together with “Valiant One” (v 24) designates Israel’s God more than thirty times in the Book of Isaiah. In this case, it contrasts Jehovah’s holiness with his people’s unholiness. Still, it points to what Jehovah’s people should become—“holy” or “sanctified,” like their God. Both titles—“Holy One” and “Valiant One”—characterize Israel’s God as his people’s exemplar. We observe this in an instance in which Jehovah exempts a righteous remnant of his people called his “holy ones” and “valiant ones” from a worldwide destruction (Isaiah 13:3).

They have lapsed into apostasy.
Hebrew nazoru ahor signifies that Jehovah’s people have become entirely “estranged” from him.
They have “gone backwards” to what they used to be before they became Jehovah’s covenant people,
when they didn’t know their God. In effect, they have become godless again like the world’s heathen nations,
but now more so because they have rejected the light they once had.
The apostasy into which they began to backslide a generation ago is now complete.
As a consequence, instead of enjoying the blessings of the covenant, they must suffer its curses.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

In response to that user who said this thread has been hateful. I really don't think it's been that bad. Covid has ripped through the world and divided us (or more appropriately, a machine has leveraged the issue to control and divide). It has changed things. Christ divides as well. Truth divides. Something in the world has changed and a lot of faithful believers in the Book of Mormon feel like leaders in a church that is based on the book have shirked responsibility on being vocal of warnings for our day in the Book of Mormon. The general feelings of the body of the church has changed. A decent amount of members feel let down by the organization and you see that reflected in conversations here.

But there's no changing things. There's no going back to 2018. There's no going back to 1995. The divisions will probably just grow more severe until they heal

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

BuriedTartaria wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 2:36 pm
J2 wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 12:39 pm

We used to value the church's independence from the world. Now we (apparently) don't.
I love this. I agree. A few years ago I had no idea why people fussed about Nelson moving away from the term Mormon. I see now how wrong I was. That was such a clear step towards the future of this church. Operating in an effort to be as inoffensive, harmless and obedient to The Powers That Be as they can.

It seems like so many people just don't see and realize this

I don't see how or why God's Kingdom on earth would follow Babylonian trends and attitudes
the first step in changing the way people think about something or to change their culture is to change their language

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

NewEliza wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 3:12 pm
diligently seeking wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 3:07 pm
NewEliza wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 3:00 pm
diligently seeking wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 2:54 pm .1st counselor in primary presidency just gave the best talk of conference! To often to many of us have tenuous hold on the pure love of Christ. I love her talk and am motivated by the unparalleled message… this talk gets at the heart of the matter with what our devotion to Jesus should look like🙌🙌
Maybe I’m just a pessimist or maybe we heard different talks lol
What’s not to like about this topic and her presentation? We in this life struggle with being whole. The solution and the spring board for receiving all desired truths and over coming the burden of this “vale of sorrow” comes from having the pure love of Christ with us on the regular… 😊❤️
Literally everyone has Jesus’ love. Which is great. But Knowing Jesus loves you does little for you. We shouldn’t strive to feel his love, we should strive to feel his approval.

Pleasing god is how to feel whole. Thinking about how much he loves you might make you feel good, but it won’t motivate you to do anything. The truly only way to feel good is to DO good.

Just sounded like postmodernism to me
Oh good sister I meant what I said that we / too many of us have a tenuous hold on the pure love of Christ being firmly embedded in our heart. This pure love of Christ, for it to “shed its self abroad in our heart” is a function of having the Holy Ghost as a constant companion—-“to not have a desire to do evil but (instead) to do good continually” and to have the gifts of the spirit present them selves more profoundly in our lives is a function of the love of God abounding in our lives… It is as Nephi and the Angel declared: it is the most desirable and joyous thing we can receive! Having it squarely places us on the path to eternal life. Do we “pray with all the energy of our heart to be filled with its power on the regular in our lives? I dare say too often we replace this great gift with checking boxes of “doing” with what could be ours to where our doing and everything else would be far more blessed and inspired if we were sanctified by the blood of the lamb through the event of having received our baptism of fire and baptism of the Holy Ghost because we like King Benjamin’s people realized in a stark and profound way that we too need to transcend church membership and become actual Saints through the atonement of Christ 🙏 🙌 🤟🏻
It’s all there before us in the scriptures laid bare for us to see and believe and to receive…. Let’s repent of our unbelief and receive🙏🙏

https://youtu.be/k6B_jYtjvME
Last edited by diligently seeking on October 3rd, 2021, 4:59 am, edited 4 times in total.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

LateOutOfBed wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 2:21 pm
Subcomandante wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 2:11 pm
Chip wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 2:07 pm Oaks just reiterated the obediently-vaxxed and recently-tested status of all those in the Conference Center. Also, the choir has been reduced to allow for social distancing per Heaven's will and in obeisance to the almighty COVID-19 Global Pandemic (TM).
Keep in mind that General Conference is broadcast to many nations of the earth, and globally, people are viewing these proceedings. This serves to remind people worldwide that the Church is keeping to health recommendations.
Are you suggesting that a message of "Repent and come unto Jesus Christ to be healed" somehow wouldn't be a globally appropriate message? I promise that if the world repented God would end this nonsense quicker than it started.
If the world repented Christ would be here in time for breakfast.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

We all evaluate the quality of their talks, but how many are aware that there are many excellent pastors that can be seen on YouTube who give wonderful (actually much better) talks about being a Christian, without the COVID paint job and the leadership shellac? This stuff we just watched had a primary purpose, and it was to entrain people to the church's system of thinking and loyalties. The bottle could still be labeled, though, as containing 10% real juice. But it's not exceptional.

NewEliza
captain of 1,000

Post by NewEliza »

Chip wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 4:23 pm We all evaluate the quality of their talks, but how many are aware that there are many excellent pastors that can be seen on YouTube who give wonderful (actually much better) talks about being a Christian, without the COVID paint job and the leadership shellac? This stuff we just watched had a primary purpose, and it was to entrain people to the church's system of thinking and loyalties. The bottle could still be labeled, though, as containing 10% real juice. But it's not exceptional.
I follow many great pastors in YouTube. They all are critical thinkers too which helps!

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

BuriedTartaria wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 3:10 pm
Subcomandante wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 3:06 pm "Take your questions to the Lord, and to faithful sources" Elder Rasband
This is something that honestly makes me angry.

Church: trust the experts on what is going on with Covid-19.

Okay, do you want me to trust the experts that historical academia would lead me to for understanding Joseph Smith? Should I trust the experts and sources of academia on what I should think of the Book of Mormon?

You can't have it both ways. You can't tell me the experts and accepted academia will guide me through Covid-19 but then say "oh but for stuff involving the church, just look at our material"

Amen to that.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

BuriedTartaria wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 4:18 pm In response to that user who said this thread has been hateful. I really don't think it's been that bad. Covid has ripped through the world and divided us (or more appropriately, a machine has leveraged the issue to control and divide). It has changed things. Christ divides as well. Truth divides. Something in the world has changed and a lot of faithful believers in the Book of Mormon feel like leaders in a church that is based on the book have shirked responsibility on being vocal of warnings for our day in the Book of Mormon. The general feelings of the body of the church has changed. A decent amount of members feel let down by the organization and you see that reflected in conversations here.

But there's no changing things. There's no going back to 2018. There's no going back to 1995. The divisions will probably just grow more severe until they heal
You are correct in saying truth divides. Unfortunately lies divide too. I think we can say both of these have been in play recently, although many are confused which is which! I think those who are behind this confusion will pay, maybe in the hereafter. I don't mean church leaders by the way, but I think they need to "have a word with themselves" (as we say round here.)

I haven't watched a full GC in years. I used to even watch RS at one point. Now I'm just reading this thread for tips. If a talk sounds like it's Covidprop, I won't watch it. If it refers to Christ and sound doctrine, and is uplifting, I'll give it a look.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

I thought the first session very good. Mostly focused on the Doctrine of Christ. Elder Holland's talks was wonderful. I loved that Elder Christofferson iterated that the 2nd great commandment is subservient to the first. The elevation of the 2nd commandment over the first is at the root of many of our problems and has been literally preached by GA's in recent meeting I have attended.

Second session deviated much more into the Gospel of Prophets, though there were still some very good talks and much truth. Rasband's talk was bad.

The main issue I have is that we have some very specific evils and problems tearing us apart as a unified body of Christians, and these specifics are never addressed. Take Elder Holland's talk for example. What he says is important, but because he stays in the realm of generalities, no corrective action or behavior will follow. And they remain in generalities due to fear. It is easy to be bold when you never specify your target. It makes it even worse when these things have been systematically embraced by Pres. Nelson and are put on display on a regular basis.

We have embraced feminism in the temple and modified doctrine accordingly. We have embraced homosexuality and removed it from our handbook as being sinful. We publicly support BLM and call out imaginary white supremecy. We move in lockstep with government instututions led by evil people who use their power for their own gain. We put on COVID theater where any 5 year old can see that what is happening makes no logical sense with masks and distancing at conference. We highlight a multicultural choir where racist ideology was necessarily used to select participants. We allow BYU to be a bastion of progressive ideology that works to undermine the foundations this church was built upon. The majority of our youth now believe that homosexual marriage is fine. We are silent on abortion. Etc.

So I appreciate Elder Hollands talk, but we need to get down to specifics if we really want to fix things. And if this is too dangerous or if the institution no longer supports the things we think need fixed, then the institution needs to be modified or abandoned as it will simply be a tool in the hands of the adversary instead of the Lord.

karend77
captain of 1,000

Post by karend77 »

To the person saying this thread is hateful...I'd like to say no. Having honest and open discussions about topics is a good thing. Just because someone doesnt believe or think the way you do is not hateful. I might disagree with some of the comments here but welcome their different ways of looking at things.

JSmith
captain of 100

Post by JSmith »

We note the reduced number of choir members in order to provide a measure of social distancing. Safe medical practices were also followed at rehearsals. All participants have been fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and were recently tested to ensure they are not infected with the virus."
-Eyring

Properly translated this reads as The following contradiction:

“everyone has received the godsend vaccination, The answer to our prayers, that was supposed to work, but because we know it doesn’t seem work we’ve had to test everybody again”