Please Post your Advice for the Care and Feeding of Trolls.

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Prana
captain of 100

Re: Please Post your Advice for the Care and Feeding of Trolls.

Post by Prana »

AstonishingGrunt wrote: August 19th, 2021, 6:44 pm So is a "troll" really just someone who doesn't agree with the dominant narrative around here?
It’s the way the internet works. Online communities based upon certain principles can only handle so much dissent, and relentless politically charged dissent is a sure fire way to get labeled as a troll.

Commies and the woke crowd have plenty of places like Reddit, and I accept the label of troll over there.

Global Citizen #614
captain of 10

Post by Global Citizen #614 »

AstonishingGrunt wrote: August 19th, 2021, 7:16 pm
Global Citizen #614 wrote: August 19th, 2021, 7:03 pm
AstonishingGrunt wrote: August 19th, 2021, 6:44 pm So is a "troll" really just someone who doesn't agree with the dominant narrative around here?
Fellow Global Citizen,

Do not mind the conspiracy theorists and their group language. The important thing is that we educate them on their false thinking. The fact of the matter is that there is no evidence for conspiracy theories. We know this because every conspiracy theory has been debunked by our thought leaders. Simply put, if conspiracy theories were true, then people on the television would have said so by now. So you can rest assured that there is no reason to believe in conspiracy theories.

So next time that a conspiracy theorist tries to tell you nonsense, such as masks don't work (we know that they do work; our thought leaders have been very clear about this) simply remind them that this is a conspiracy theory and is not true.

Together we can fight misinformation and conspiracy theories. After all, it's what our thought leaders would want.
Nice try at the satire, but...ummm...no.
Fellow global citizen,

There is nothing "satirical" about flattening the curve. Please join me in following the guidelines provided to us by our experts and soon they might let us go back to normal. The only way to put this behind us is to do everything they say, which is why the conspiracy theorists are so frustrating 😡. They are running our chances to prove ourselves to our thought leaders.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

Truly the only way to frustrate them and get them to go away is to absolutely 100% ignore them completely. They exist to ruffle feathers and revel in doing so.

It's next to impossible, though, on a forum, to get everyone to collectively ignore a troll. Someone always bites and then the game is afoot.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

I'll say this for the trolls - I admire their perseverance in the face of disappointment. They go hungry, but they never starve.

Secondary thought - without their constant disagreement, this forum would be an echo chamber. And what's the fun in that?

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

I disagree a lot but no one has ever called me a troll on this forum, as far as I'm aware of.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

iWriteStuff wrote: August 19th, 2021, 8:35 pm Secondary thought - without their constant disagreement, this forum would be an echo chamber. And what's the fun in that?
No, it wouldn't. Plenty, if not all, of us have many different beliefs/opinions on a very wide variety of topics.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

EmmaLee wrote: August 20th, 2021, 10:14 am
iWriteStuff wrote: August 19th, 2021, 8:35 pm Secondary thought - without their constant disagreement, this forum would be an echo chamber. And what's the fun in that?
No, it wouldn't. Plenty, if not all, of us have many different beliefs/opinions on a very wide variety of topics.
Not wide enough to handle dissent though?

hyloglyph
captain of 1,000

Post by hyloglyph »

iWriteStuff wrote: August 20th, 2021, 10:59 am
Dissent is fine.

You can tell when someone is being purposely disingenuous. They understand what you are writing but refuse to acknowledge it. Or actually will purposely restate what you are writing in a twisted way. Their goal is disagreement and confusion. Their goal is to be a distraction.

I can show you how to do it it’s not hard lol.

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Post by braingrunt »

Prana wrote: August 19th, 2021, 7:39 pm
It’s the way the internet works. Online communities based upon certain principles can only handle so much dissent, and relentless politically charged dissent is a sure fire way to get labeled as a troll.

Commies and the woke crowd have plenty of places like Reddit, and I accept the label of troll over there.
I think this is insightful.
You are all trolls from someone's perspective. Or, you would be, if you talked to them.

There are certain barriers between people which stop any meaningful communication. Even being aware of the barriers doesn't help. You have three choices, which distill down to two: 1) keep calm and waste your breath 2)get nasty 3) stop talking. I think option 1 goes away because I'm very surprised if anyone can waste their breath forever. I guess trolls are the ones who are tired of wasting their breath but just can't stand to stop talking.

Yet even those who stick faithfully to option 1 in the wrong setting, are likely to get labelled trolls because everyone is sick of some narrative and has had some person get nasty to them. It's hard to view everyone as a pure individual outside of your previous experience with others, nor do I think that it's necessarily wise to do so.

hyloglyph
captain of 1,000

Post by hyloglyph »

People do use the word troll for someone who disagrees with or annoys them. For example— Ron Paul was seen as a troll by many people in congress for constantly talking about their faulty foundational assumptions.

Ron Paul is not a troll though. People that disagree with you are not trolls.

Trolls are people who purposely play dumb in order to derail conversations. There are several of these types on here.

Disagreeing is no problem.

I can show you the difference. It’s easy.

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Post by braingrunt »

Mormon was stuck in the trolls paradox:

Moroni 9:
4 Behold, I am laboring with them continually; and when I speak the word of God with sharpness they tremble and anger against me; and when I use no sharpness they harden their hearts against it; wherefore, I fear lest the Spirit of the Lord hath ceased striving with them.

communication = over

hyloglyph
captain of 1,000

Post by hyloglyph »

braingrunt wrote: August 20th, 2021, 12:00 pm Mormon was stuck in the trolls paradox:

Moroni 9:
4 Behold, I am laboring with them continually; and when I speak the word of God with sharpness they tremble and anger against me; and when I use no sharpness they harden their hearts against it; wherefore, I fear lest the Spirit of the Lord hath ceased striving with them.

communication = over
That is exactly it

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Sure it is. We handle dissent all the time, daily, on pretty much every thread. Having a differing opinion/belief and expressing that (hopefully, respectfully), is far different than someone who is an actual troll in every single thread they post in. It's been explained well on this thread, IMO.

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

you're just bragging -benotdeceived- you enjoy reading their whimper posts on their way out.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Care and Feeding of Trolls

Post by BeNotDeceived »

EvanLM wrote: August 20th, 2021, 1:54 pm you're just bragging -benotdeceived- you enjoy reading their whimper posts on their way out.
dbnp :mrgreen: When z DS deals out a Handful of Aces, it would be wrong not to call their bluff.

Or it: Felt Wrong Not To Swing
viewtopic.php?p=1099670#p1099670
Cruiserdude wrote: January 14th, 2021, 5:16 pm That was such an awesome part😎, now I gotta re-watch it again 😁
'Swing away Merril, swing away'
How about when merril and him are chasing the 'Radfield Brothers' (something like that) around the house at night and Gibson is trying to talk mean and curse them out 😂😂😂 oh he made me laugh good in that one.
Maybe that's why I like Signs so much, it hits on all the key emotions for me and plays on the things I find important in life. Yeah, okay, now don't make fun of me😁 I'm a simple kinda guy🤠
But I am lost on the other stuff 🙃
507 feet over the left-field wall, makes for an easy home run. :mrgreen:

Prana
captain of 100

Post by Prana »

hyloglyph wrote: August 20th, 2021, 11:42 am

People do use the word troll for someone who disagrees with or annoys them. For example— Ron Paul was seen as a troll by many people in congress for constantly talking about their faulty foundational assumptions.

Ron Paul is not a troll though. People that disagree with you are not trolls.

Trolls are people who purposely play dumb in order to derail conversations. There are several of these types on here.

Disagreeing is no problem.

I can show you the difference. It’s easy.
I wholeheartedly agree with your point.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

And now it looks like he has created at least one other sock-puppet account, so it will appear as if someone agrees with his posts, lol. :lol:

Prana
captain of 100

Post by Prana »

EmmaLee wrote: August 20th, 2021, 1:34 pm
Sure it is. We handle dissent all the time, daily, on pretty much every thread. Having a differing opinion/belief and expressing that (hopefully, respectfully), is far different than someone who is an actual troll in every single thread they post in. It's been explained well on this thread, IMO.
I’m pretty vocal in my disdain for the church and have been treated surprisingly well. That just speaks for the integrity of the active posters here and their ability to detect the difference between genuine people who feel betrayed vs. genuine people who have differing opinions vs. trolls.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Trolls

Post by BeNotDeceived »

EmmaLee wrote: August 20th, 2021, 5:50 pm And now it looks like he has created at least one other sock-puppet account, so it will appear as if someone agrees with his posts, lol. :lol:
Image He is legion?

There’s one of me favorite albums, just sayin. :lol:

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Trolls

Post by EmmaLee »

BeNotDeceived wrote: August 20th, 2021, 6:22 pm
EmmaLee wrote: August 20th, 2021, 5:50 pm And now it looks like he has created at least one other sock-puppet account, so it will appear as if someone agrees with his posts, lol. :lol:
Image He is legion?

There’s one of me favorite albums, just sayin. :lol:
Jason was also Legion (as he had many sock-puppets). Maybe FB/AGF can be Legion2.

anonymous91
captain of 100

Post by anonymous91 »

braingrunt wrote: August 20th, 2021, 11:35 am

You are all trolls from someone's perspective. Or, you would be, if you talked to them.

There are certain barriers between people which stop any meaningful communication. Even being aware of the barriers doesn't help. You have three choices, which distill down to two: 1) keep calm and waste your breath 2)get nasty 3) stop talking. I think option 1 goes away because I'm very surprised if anyone can waste their breath forever. I guess trolls are the ones who are tired of wasting their breath but just can't stand to stop talking.

Yet even those who stick faithfully to option 1 in the wrong setting, are likely to get labelled trolls because everyone is sick of some narrative and has had some person get nasty to them. It's hard to view everyone as a pure individual outside of your previous experience with others, nor do I think that it's necessarily wise to do so.
I just found another way, we can waste their time, see this short Ted talk (plus it is hilarious).
Just wish I was as good at it as James seems to be.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

anonymous91 wrote: August 20th, 2021, 8:26 pm
braingrunt wrote: August 20th, 2021, 11:35 am

I just found another way, we can waste their time, see this short Ted talk (plus it is hilarious).
Just wish I was as good at it as James seems to be.
That was hilarious!

Perfect strategy. I think one of us may already be doing it :)

Sir H

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Care and Feeding of Trolls

Post by BeNotDeceived »

EvanLM wrote: August 20th, 2021, 1:54 pm you're just bragging -benotdeceived- you enjoy reading their whimper posts on their way out.
dbnp :mrgreen: Boasting, but not bragging.
nightlight wrote: August 20th, 2021, 7:32 am
BeNotDeceived wrote: August 20th, 2021, 7:04 am
nightlight wrote: March 30th, 2021, 7:58 pm i i i i don't get it
WARRIOR, but not ULTIMATE. :mrgreen:
3.33 YOU see

Check, but not mate 👻 ghastly, but not gross
👻 and what follows edit is mine.

GBNG is my game that is similar to DBNP whose secret is only to be had in OD aka sub-forum #57. search.php?keywords=focusOnChrist shows mountains did move at a time consistent with Someone playing my game, based on a special class of characters.

Re: Now that the traitor is fully exposed, prepare accordingly
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45255&p=777947&hilit=Splode#p777947

There’s me link that includes the words of Orson Scott Card’s amazing article Seek to be Worthy of Praise as per AOF #13.

Really, I’m just an observer as per Abraham 4:18. :mrgreen:

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

Global Citizen #614 wrote: August 19th, 2021, 7:03 pm So next time that a conspiracy theorist tries to tell you nonsense...
I’m no conspiracy-theorist, everyone else is just a coincidence-theorist.

😉

Global Citizen #614
captain of 10

Post by Global Citizen #614 »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: August 21st, 2021, 7:09 am
Global Citizen #614 wrote: August 19th, 2021, 7:03 pm So next time that a conspiracy theorist tries to tell you nonsense...
I’m no conspiracy-theorist, everyone else is just a coincidence-theorist.

😉
Everything is a coincidence. And there is no such thing as conspiracy theories. If there were, then that would mean that the government is lying 😂 (could you imagine). Fortunately, the government cannot lie to us so they're are no conspiracy theories.