How big is the tent?

For non-mainstream, heterodoxical discussions. Request access to the Heretic Group here.
Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

How big is the tent?

Post by Pazooka »

You get the feeling, these days, that the Church is under the impression that the tent of Zion encompasses the whole earth, since there are stakes throughout. Not quite what God describes, below. The earth is the field, and the tent is only at located on a site within the field. If it were not so, how could Zion enlarge her borders? Making two contradictory statements hold hands in ones’ belief garden = something described in George Orwell’s 1984.
7 Yea, verily I say unto you again, the time has come when the voice of the Lord is unto you: Go ye out of Babylon; gather ye out from among the nations, from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
8 Send forth the elders of my church unto the nations which are afar off; unto the islands of the sea; send forth unto foreign lands; call upon all nations, first upon the Gentiles, and then upon the Jews.
9 And behold, and lo, this shall be their cry, and the voice of the Lord unto all people: Go ye forth unto the land of Zion, that the borders of my people may be enlarged, and that her stakes may be strengthened, and that Zion may go forth unto the regions round about. ~ D&C 133

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: How big is the tent?

Post by Pazooka »

In 1901, under Lorenzo Snow, there was a short list of criteria for those being recommended for their “second anointing.” This was #5:
(5) Candidates had to have "gathered with the body of the Church." Faithful "non-gatherers" would be "dealt with by the authority on the other side of the veil."

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

I believe that Zion has to be centered on the city itself, but the Zion is the continental USA or North America, but it is a physical location.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

The church takes it's identity from the past and future. They look at what we know of the future (Zion will cover the earth eventually) and apply it to themselves. There was only one throughout Mormondom who publicly displayed the meaty part of being an American Prophet.

Lol this isn't a good average. But it sheds light of our traditions and on the power of cognitive dissonance.

" The law will go out from Zion, the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. He will judge between the nations and will settle disputes for many peoples. ... Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

mes5464 wrote: August 5th, 2021, 8:28 am I believe that Zion has to be centered on the city itself, but the Zion is the continental USA or North America, but it is a physical location.
It seems like the gist of the comparing Zion with a tent having a center stake and supporting stakes is that, like a tent, it is located in one place and grows as there is need (at least all the scriptures I’ve come across support that concept). So, it would only encompass North America if its borders enlarge to that extent by the process of people gathering to it. Have you found any scriptural support to the contrary?

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

nightlight wrote: August 5th, 2021, 9:36 am The church takes it's identity from the past and future. They look at what we know of the future (Zion will cover the earth eventually) and apply it to themselves. There was only one throughout Mormondom who publicly displayed the meaty part of being an American Prophet.

Lol this isn't a good average. But it sheds light of our traditions and on the power of cognitive dissonance.

" The law will go out from Zion, the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. He will judge between the nations and will settle disputes for many peoples. ... Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore.
The Kingdom of God will cover the earth but Zion will not, is my understanding...unless you’re talking about the celestialized earth.