LDS hair standards

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
TrueFaith
captain of 1,000

Re: LDS hair standards

Post by TrueFaith »

Mindfields wrote: July 16th, 2021, 9:48 am
mcclurf wrote: June 26th, 2013, 7:26 pm Please help me with this hair issue:

A little history of my experience:
1) My temple marriage - my bishop required me to cut my hair and shave my beard to marry in the temple. So I did. But I later found out that others were not required to do so. Why???
2) As a Ward Clerk my hair started to grow out. Then the Stake Leaders ask me to cut my hair again. I did not feel the spirit in doing so. Of course they released me.
3) With my hair long I was called as a Ward YM President. 1 years later at a multi Stake Leadership meeting a church Presidency Leader from Salt Lake commanded my Bishop to release me. My Bishop was sorry and confused.
4) Had multi callings in Ward leadership with long hair e.g. Primary instructor, YM leadership, Elders Q leadership, HP Group Leader.
5) Called into the Bishopric but was informed prior to sustaining to cut my hair but could have a short groomed beard. I complied. The Stake President mention after serving the calling I could grow my hair back. I did.
6) Called to a Stake Assistance Clerk but was not ask to cut my hair.
7) Called to another Bishopric but was not informed by the Stake Presidency to cut my hair. Weeks later my Bishop said I had to cut my hair and shave my beard.

Why are the church hair standards sometimes required and sometime not required in the church. I am so confused with this issue and so are some the leaders of the church.

Should this be a standard in the church that all male members be required to fulfill the hair standards???
Should the Missionaries teach this standard to investigators???
Is this a church doctrine or is it a administration policy???

In the 2010 manuals Handbook 1 "Stake Presidents and Bishops" and 2 "Administering the Church" - I could not find any reference concerning my hair issue.
But in "For the Strength of Youth Fulfilling Our Duty to God" in the "Dress and Appearance: section it states "All should avoid extremes in clothing, appearance, and hairstyle....... Ask yourself, "Would I feel comfortable with my appearance if I were in the Lord's presence?"".

An article in Salt Lake Tribune:

BY PEGGY FLETCHER STACK THE SALT LAKE TRIBUNE

PUBLISHED APRIL 5, 2013 11:09 AM

Marostica was the only LDS bishop with a beard at a recent leadership training meeting of 11 LDS stakes in the Bay Area. Mormon apostle Quentin L. Cook led the discussion and said nothing about it.

"I proudly introduce myself to apostles as Bishop Marostica," he writes. "None of them have even blinked at the beard. I certainly haven't been asked to shave it in the five years I've been bishop."

I know this is not a point of unworthiness but a point of being an example.

Can anyone help me out on this subject????
Typically Mormon. Judging by appearance ignoring the true character of the person.

"…the worst sinners, according to Jesus, are not the harlots and publicans, but the religious leaders with their insistence on proper dress and grooming, their careful observance of all the rules, their precious concern for status-symbols, their strict legality, their pious patriotism. Longhairs, beards, and necklaces, LSD and rock, Big Sur and Woodstock, come and go, but Babylon is always there: rich, respectable, immovable… We want to be vindicated in our position and to know that the world is on our side as we all join in a chorus of righteous denunciation; the haircut becomes the test of virtue in a world where Satan deceives and rules by appearances." Hugh Nibley
Hugh Nibley cared deeply about outward appearances.
On 16 February 1989, Nibley delivered a speech titled “Stewardship of the Air” at a Clean Air Symposium held at Brigham Young University.11 He opened the speech by commenting on the “miasmic exhalations” of Geneva Steel that he had been obliged to breathe over the past forty years of his life. He then observed that we learn even from the Word of Wisdom, body and mind—the temporal and the spiritual—are inseparable, and to corrupt the one is to corrupt the other. Inevitably our surroundings become a faithful reflection of our mentality and vice versa. The right people, according to Brigham Young, could convert hell to heaven, and the wrong ones heaven to hell. “Every faculty bestowed upon man is subject to contamination—subject to be diverted from the purpose the Creator designed it to fill.”
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 6451233543

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Long hair, a beard, and a non-white shirt is certain to get tongues wagging.
Even worse on a man 😉

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

TrueFaith wrote: July 16th, 2021, 9:38 am I see nothing wrong with a well trimmed beard. However long hair in men is spoken against in the New Testament.

"Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?" 1 Corin 11:14

There is no evidence Jesus had long hair, in fact I'd wager he did not since he is perfect and he spoke his perfect word against it to his New Testament prophets.

Godliness is beauty and cleanliness. We should strive for this. I wouldn't allow men with long hair to pass the sacrament.
Do you tell your wife to cover her head when she prays, and keep her silent in church, too?

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

Luckily my hair is thinning so much I don't have to worry about small minded individuals bugging me about my appearance anymore... ;-)

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

i agree that there are standards. I also realize that our leaders are constantly confused because the prophets and regional reps constantly change the standards. That used to be explained by the fact that we have a "living prophet" that can change it anytime he wants.

Your hair situation is pretty trivial considering the many changes through the years- these constant changes blind us to the real apostasy in our church today.

This is a strong situation: years ago,the men and women met in a special SS class to have the bishop tell us that they were going to excommunicate gays that were having sex. Five years later, Nelson changes that and says that gays are not going to be exed but then are highlighted on lds.org website. Now, I'm not saying right and wrong just using this as a example where we could be more concerned about this change than a personal grooming habit.

another strong situation: The endowment and the initiatory ceremonies have been changed a lot. The chance to fully understand the meaning that was presented in the old ceremonies is lost.

So.. sorry to be so long but you are dealing with two things

leaders and procedures- domination
the fact that God does require exactness even in the Temple dress and other dress that shows reverence for his dedicated sites and priesthood callings

Its always your choice- to your reward for righteousness or your reward for condemnation

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Post by Mindfields »

TrueFaith wrote: July 16th, 2021, 9:53 am
Mindfields wrote: July 16th, 2021, 9:52 am
TrueFaith wrote: July 16th, 2021, 9:38 am I see nothing wrong with a well trimmed beard. However long hair in men is spoken against in the New Testament.

"Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?" 1 Corin 11:14

There is no evidence Jesus had long hair, in fact I'd wager he did not since he is perfect and he spoke his perfect word against it to his New Testament prophets.

Godliness is beauty and cleanliness. We should strive for this. I wouldn't allow men with long hair to pass the sacrament.
I imagine he had a weekly appointment at the local barber. Godliness is a broken heart and contrite spirit and giving your heart to him more nothing less. God could care less about outward appearance.
Wrong. God absolutely cares about our thoughts, words, and outward actions. You deny God's own word in the Scriptures by saying such nonsense. You think the man who created the earth and raised the dead and walked on water couldn't find a way to keep his own hair trimmed?

(And it's "couldn't" care less.)
Whatever works for you. I'm pretty sure that whether or not Jesus trimmed his hair is meaningless. Man requires exactness and adherence to a long list of rules. God only requires your heart. Jesus saves and changes you.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

But what we don't really know about this passage is what Paul meant by "long hair". He may have been talking about the type of long hair that is seldom, if ever, cut. Hair going well below the shoulder.

At BYU, it was a standard cynical observation back in the '60s and '70s, that the statue of Brigham showed him with a beard and fairly long hair.

I think the proscription of long hair and beards was amped up by the hippy movement, which sported long hair and in many cases beards. I.e., representing 'rebellion' and seemingly unkempt, unconforming behavior and appearance. It was probably also exacerbated by so many men after the time of Pres. George Albert Smith (beard) and Pres. Heber J. Grant (beard) who served in the military of WW II and the Korean War who were required to be clean shaven and have relatively short hair; also in the Vietnam War, but in the latter case opposed by the rebellious hippy/anti-war movement.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

TrueFaith wrote: July 16th, 2021, 10:01 am . . . . Hugh Nibley cared deeply about outward appearances.
On 16 February 1989, Nibley delivered a speech titled “Stewardship of the Air” at a Clean Air Symposium held at Brigham Young University.11 He opened the speech by commenting on the “miasmic exhalations” of Geneva Steel that he had been obliged to breathe over the past forty years of his life. He then observed that we learn even from the Word of Wisdom, body and mind—the temporal and the spiritual—are inseparable, and to corrupt the one is to corrupt the other. Inevitably our surroundings become a faithful reflection of our mentality and vice versa. The right people, according to Brigham Young, could convert hell to heaven, and the wrong ones heaven to hell. “Every faculty bestowed upon man is subject to contamination—subject to be diverted from the purpose the Creator designed it to fill.”
. . . .
I don't see that Hugh is equating long hair or beards in males as corrupt. Could you be conflating the two issues a bit??

TrueFaith
captain of 1,000

Post by TrueFaith »

h_p wrote: July 16th, 2021, 10:20 am

Do you tell your wife to cover her head when she prays, and keep her silent in church, too?
Yeah I tell everyone that. Haven't been on the forum long? These are commandments from our Scriptures, we should be obeying them.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

TrueFaith wrote: July 16th, 2021, 11:34 am
h_p wrote: July 16th, 2021, 10:20 am Do you tell your wife to cover her head when she prays, and keep her silent in church, too?
Yeah I tell everyone that. Haven't been on the forum long? These are commandments from our Scriptures, we should be obeying them.
I have, but I guess I haven't been reading too many of your posts. Kudos for at least being consistent. And I'm sure your wife is grateful for the get-out-of-all-talks-and-teaching card. :lol:

Lynn
captain of 100

Post by Lynn »

I would say, pull this one up--- Tell them you have taken the "vows of Nazor" not to cut your hair until Jesus' return. Tell them you follow in the line of the Master himself (Jesus), who took this same vow, as he too was a Nazorite. And he who is without sin, let them cast the first stone at you and Jesus as well.

abijah`
~dog days~

Post by abijah` »

Lynn wrote: July 16th, 2021, 8:59 pm I would say, pull this one up--- Tell them you have taken the "vows of Nazor" not to cut your hair until Jesus' return. Tell them you follow in the line of the Master himself (Jesus), who took this same vow, as he too was a Nazorite. And he who is without sin, let them cast the first stone at you and Jesus as well.
He wasn't a nazarite, he drank wine.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

I don't wear a white shirt or tie. Haven't for 30 years. I guess it was my earliest for of LDS civil disobedience. BTW I did the same thing a work. I do keep my hair short. I don't think it is the church's business at all. But, I see unkept men's hair (boy do I hate the man-buns) and find it unattractive and offensive, but that is just my weakness that I'm working on getting over. I was in military for a long time. I was pretty pissed off when the church said you couldn't be a temple worker with a beard or long hair. So, I'd always tell them no early prophet or Jesus himself could work there.

I'd call it UD (unrighteous dominion) JS talked about it.

Now having said that, I do feel it is their right to make the rules, as stupidly as they are. If that is how they want their bishops to look, or temple workers, go for it. But, I will point it out and disagree and make it public and not feel bad at all.

Lynn
captain of 100

Post by Lynn »

When those who take the vows of Nazor, they deem what they will do or not do. In John's case, it was not to touch strong drink or meat. He may also have done the no cutting the hair bit, as well. Jesus did the no cut hair bit, but did not vow not to partake of strong drink. In so, that you had two representatives of the Lights- Sun & Moon, one not taking. By their vows, John did not eat (meat) or drink (any kind of liquor), while Jesus came eating & drinking. Sometimes the vow was to be observed until some specified event or time.

mcusick
captain of 100

Post by mcusick »

When I was a teenager I realized they didn't have the spirit whispering to them who is and isn't righteous, so standards of outward appearance developed. It's just a hoop you are encouraged to jump through. I've seen a handful of people sporting a beard in the bishopric and stake high counsel level, but very few.

Some leaders care less about it. Some leaders are literal pharisees that must not reflect on their beliefs and practices when reading the New Testament.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

mcclurf wrote: June 26th, 2013, 7:26 pm Please help me with this hair issue:

A little history of my experience:
1) My temple marriage - my bishop required me to cut my hair and shave my beard to marry in the temple. So I did. But I later found out that others were not required to do so. Why???
2) As a Ward Clerk my hair started to grow out. Then the Stake Leaders ask me to cut my hair again. I did not feel the spirit in doing so. Of course they released me.
3) With my hair long I was called as a Ward YM President. 1 years later at a multi Stake Leadership meeting a church Presidency Leader from Salt Lake commanded my Bishop to release me. My Bishop was sorry and confused.
4) Had multi callings in Ward leadership with long hair e.g. Primary instructor, YM leadership, Elders Q leadership, HP Group Leader.
5) Called into the Bishopric but was informed prior to sustaining to cut my hair but could have a short groomed beard. I complied. The Stake President mention after serving the calling I could grow my hair back. I did.
6) Called to a Stake Assistance Clerk but was not ask to cut my hair.
7) Called to another Bishopric but was not informed by the Stake Presidency to cut my hair. Weeks later my Bishop said I had to cut my hair and shave my beard.

Why are the church hair standards sometimes required and sometime not required in the church. I am so confused with this issue and so are some the leaders of the church.

Should this be a standard in the church that all male members be required to fulfill the hair standards???
Should the Missionaries teach this standard to investigators???
Is this a church doctrine or is it a administration policy???

In the 2010 manuals Handbook 1 "Stake Presidents and Bishops" and 2 "Administering the Church" - I could not find any reference concerning my hair issue.
But in "For the Strength of Youth Fulfilling Our Duty to God" in the "Dress and Appearance: section it states "All should avoid extremes in clothing, appearance, and hairstyle....... Ask yourself, "Would I feel comfortable with my appearance if I were in the Lord's presence?"".

An article in Salt Lake Tribune:

BY PEGGY FLETCHER STACK THE SALT LAKE TRIBUNE

PUBLISHED APRIL 5, 2013 11:09 AM

Marostica was the only LDS bishop with a beard at a recent leadership training meeting of 11 LDS stakes in the Bay Area. Mormon apostle Quentin L. Cook led the discussion and said nothing about it.

"I proudly introduce myself to apostles as Bishop Marostica," he writes. "None of them have even blinked at the beard. I certainly haven't been asked to shave it in the five years I've been bishop."

I know this is not a point of unworthiness but a point of being an example.

Can anyone help me out on this subject????
Well, you know, they got a little power and decided to use it.

Satan wants everyone to be the same. Slaves, drones, etc., the democrats call it equality. Ear rings, long hair, make you different. Cull.

Jesus had long hair.

I had a 4.0 grade point average in 1972 and the school pulled me from class one day and told me my hair touched my ears and I must go home and not come back without a haircut. I never went back.

The people have no revelation. Their lives have no value. They are nobodies. Useless drones placed in charge because they excel at nothing, other than doing what they are told. Worthless pieces of tripe. Along comes someone with a life, going somewhere. Better put a stop to it.

Their boss tells them to require masks because mosquitoes fly through a chain link fence. Makes sense to the brainless drone. He does what he is told. Satan pats him on the back. Good dog. wuf wuf

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Fred wrote: July 17th, 2021, 3:00 am . wuf wuf
Wuff or Woof, but Wuf or Wof is a great dbnp type tuple. :lol:

Suffice, was spell checks suggestion, but now says woof is ok too.

Once upon a time me sister named her dog Woof, and earlier this week the subject of alligators came up. I lost track of a good friend that adopted a particular color of alligator as his email address. Perhaps it were a prelude to someone here passing with “flying colors”.

Me don’t know nothing about no flying alligator. :|

Anyways my email to me alligator friend bounced, but then I noticed me bad spelling having used a single “l”. No wonder it bounced, so me tried again, and on LinkedIn too, where his email still seemed to work?
The dbnp mystery is dispelled in forum #57 aka Outer Darkness.
Ha 8-)
There’s a Wuff radio, and Alexa obliged my request that I am listening to it now.

AnotherLDSPatriot
captain of 100

Post by AnotherLDSPatriot »

You're missing the point. It isn't so much the length of hair but (1) being and appearing clean and well groomed and (2) once one knows a higher law, not going back to lesser laws. Decades ago, I knew of an effective ward mission leader who wore long hair. And BYU has standards that permit neatly groomed beards for those with facial skin problems (not that I'll hold BYU up as a standard). There was a Navajo elder in my ward growing up, yet he wore his hair short.

President Hinckley once said in conference to the women (LISTEN to his address in the women's portion, I believe from October 2000, entitled "Your Greatest Challenge, Mother"... the word PERHAPS has been edited out of text) about wearing "perhaps one small pair of earrings" while addressing those who wear multiple pairs of earrings, and yet, many continue to wear large and gaudy decorations, some of which double as stirrups. The word "perhaps" suggests that President Hinckley probably argued with the Lord and this is the concession: one small pair. I once knew a young married father who wore an earring; years ago, while in SLC with his wife, they encountered Elder L. Tom Perry on a street corner. They greeted one another, chatted pleasantly for a moment, and then Elder Perry asked him directly about why he wore an earring. He told me later that, when Elder Perry asked him the question, he had that distinct feeling that Elder Perry wasn't asking about his rationale. After he and his wife got home to Provo, he removed the earring.

Tattoos ... they make one look dirty and unclean. One is putting the mark on themselves.

If one couldn't afford a white dress shirt, the Lord understands. However, once one understands and the time comes that one needs another shirt, does one buy a blue dress shirt, or a white dress shirt?

The point is this: if one is going to represent the Lord in the Lord's church, one must look the part. If one looks dirty and unkempt, one doesn't look the part. Consider also: is one wearing a beard and long hair as a means of rebelling, of trying to be and look different? Satan and a third of the hosts of heaven were cast out for rebellion.
Last edited by AnotherLDSPatriot on July 17th, 2021, 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

AnotherLDSPatriot wrote: July 17th, 2021, 8:12 am You're missing the point. It isn't so much the length of hair but (1) being and appearing clean and well groomed and (2) once one knows a higher law, not going back to lesser laws. Decades ago, I knew of an effective ward mission leader who wore long hair. And BYU has standards that permit neatly groomed beards for those with facial skin problems (not that I'll hold BYU up as a standard). There was a Navajo elder in my ward growing up, yet he wore his hair short.

President Hinckley once said in conference to the women (LISTEN to his address in the women's portion, I believe from October 2000, entitled "Your Greatest Challenge, Mother"... the word PERHAPS has been edited out of text) about wearing "perhaps one small pair of earrings" while addressing those who wear multiple pairs of earrings, and yet, many continue to wear large and gaudy decorations, some of which double as stirrups. The word "perhaps" suggests that President Hinckley probably argued with the Lord and this is the concession: one small pair. I once knew a young married father who wore an earring; years ago, while in SLC with his wife, they encountered Elder L. Tom Perry on a street corner. They greeted one another, chatted pleasantly for a moment, and then Elder Perry asked him directly about why he wore an earring. He told me later that, when Elder Perry asked him the question, he had that distinct feeling that Elder Perry wasn't asking about his the rationale, After he and his wife got home to Provo, he removed the earring.

Tattoos ... they make one look dirty and unclean. One is putting the mark on themselves.

If one couldn't afford a white dress shirt, the Lord understands. However, once one understands and the time comes that one needs another shirt, does one buy a blue dress shirt, or a white dress shirt?

The point is this: if one is going to represent the Lord in the Lord's church, one must look the part. If one looks dirty and unkempt, one doesn't look the part. Consider also: is one wearing a beard and long hair as a means of rebelling, of trying to be and look different? Satan and a third of the hosts of heaven were cast out for rebellion.
Having a beard is going back to the lesser law?

PaulH
captain of 50

Post by PaulH »

AnotherLDSPatriot wrote: July 17th, 2021, 8:12 am You're missing the point. It isn't so much the length of hair but (1) being and appearing clean and well groomed and (2) once one knows a higher law, not going back to lesser laws. Decades ago, I knew of an effective ward mission leader who wore long hair. And BYU has standards that permit neatly groomed beards for those with facial skin problems (not that I'll hold BYU up as a standard). There was a Navajo elder in my ward growing up, yet he wore his hair short.

President Hinckley once said in conference to the women (LISTEN to his address in the women's portion, I believe from October 2000, entitled "Your Greatest Challenge, Mother"... the word PERHAPS has been edited out of text) about wearing "perhaps one small pair of earrings" while addressing those who wear multiple pairs of earrings, and yet, many continue to wear large and gaudy decorations, some of which double as stirrups. The word "perhaps" suggests that President Hinckley probably argued with the Lord and this is the concession: one small pair. I once knew a young married father who wore an earring; years ago, while in SLC with his wife, they encountered Elder L. Tom Perry on a street corner. They greeted one another, chatted pleasantly for a moment, and then Elder Perry asked him directly about why he wore an earring. He told me later that, when Elder Perry asked him the question, he had that distinct feeling that Elder Perry wasn't asking about his rationale. After he and his wife got home to Provo, he removed the earring.

You may want to rethink your position. All paintings and depictions of HF and JC show them with long hair and a beard. Including the endowment movie in the temple. Incidentally, Satan is the one who is depicted as clean shaven in the the endowment movie. I don't believe HF and JC cast out the 1/3 because of long hair and a beard. It had to be a little more than that. Your supposition would have HF, JC, and most of the prophets and apostles of the last 6000 years be considered "in rebellion". The "no beard or long hair thing" has only been a thing for the last 65-70 years.

BKColt
captain of 100

Post by BKColt »

(dupe)
Last edited by BKColt on July 18th, 2021, 4:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

BKColt
captain of 100

Post by BKColt »

Balderdash. I lived where we had a Stake Presidency counselor with a nice, semi-full beard. In a small-attendance (28) regional lunch with President Hinckley, then-Elder Oaks and Elder Marlin K. Jenson in the Relief Society room of the Oakton Virginia Stake in 1997, at the first break, Elder Oaks made a smiling beeline to the bearded fellow. He energetically shook his hand and had a smiling, heart-felt conversation with tbis leader.

It was hard to tell if Elder Oaks just wanted the counselor know that it was OK, or if he wanted to put the man's worries at ease. It was a genuine exchange and any tension would have evaporated if even present.

Flipping around what President David O. McKay proclaimed while seated in a Salt Lake theater when sheepishly given a Coca-Cola labeled cup by the staff at intermission: "I don't care what it says on the outside, as long as it is Coke on the inside!" Flipped it is "I'm less concerned about what you look like on the outside, but care more about what you heart is like on the inside."

The days of overly fretting about women in pants in the chapel, earrings and counts of earrings on people, tatooed converts, hair color and styles, tobacvo smells, and socio-economic conditions of those attending or investigating God's gospel... should be in the rear-view mirror.

Teach correct principles, and they govern themselves. Judge not. If we teach our children correct principles and to not judge others but to be loving and welcoming.... life will be more full and rich.

As a fairly new convert called to be a ward clerk when they sat on the stsnd and recorded everything and ran the sound system, I was counseled after my first week on the stand by a bishopric counselor. It seems by light plaid 3-piece suit, coupled with a dark brown shirt and a white tie made me look like a gangster. I was taken aback but obliged. The key was to not draw attention to ourselves when up front and on display.

In the same regional meeting in 1997, Elder Oaks said the same thing about sacrament preparation. In some areas of the world, wearing pants or shoes and socks while administering the sacrament would be a distraction. One size does not fit all, and we need to be gentle and not Pharisitical.

Personally, thinking about dressing like the characters on The Chosen.... not really.

bbrown
captain of 100

Post by bbrown »

I once sat in a ward counsel meeting where hair length and temple recommends were discussed. They had planned the annual temple trip (required air travel and overnight stays) for the youth. The bishop asked what the group thought about a certain young man who had long hair going. Several people chimed myself included on how it really didn’t matter. Then the young men’s president kind of took over the discussion. He had been a bishop in the ward at least a couple times, was very very wealthy and had just been called as a mission president. He was also actively working to get people he considered to poor out of leadership. My family was high on his hit list at the time but that’s another discussion. In this meeting he raved about how spiritual this kid was, “someone” had taught him to pray and understand scriptures well beyond his peers. The kid came from a hellish situation his step dad was a low life criminal, drugs, theft, who knows what else, the mom was mostly not present. He had long hair because his real dad did. After a few minutes of praise he boldly declared that if he were bishop he would not give this kid a recommend. That is what the bishop ended up deciding also. Over a few weeks the kid faded away from the church. The temple trip was an utter disaster. They didn’t even try again for several years. That is the point I stopped cutting my hair and wearing a white shirt and tie. So much evil came of that, over something that makes no difference whatsoever anywhere else but the church.

abijah`
~dog days~

Post by abijah` »

Lynn wrote: July 17th, 2021, 12:25 am When those who take the vows of Nazor, they deem what they will do or not do. In John's case, it was not to touch strong drink or meat. He may also have done the no cutting the hair bit, as well. Jesus did the no cut hair bit, but did not vow not to partake of strong drink. In so, that you had two representatives of the Lights- Sun & Moon, one not taking. By their vows, John did not eat (meat) or drink (any kind of liquor), while Jesus came eating & drinking. Sometimes the vow was to be observed until some specified event or time.
Interesting correlations :)

When the Davidic Herald comes as a forerunner for Jesus's Second Coming, will he come eating and drinking? or will he be an ascetic in hairy animal skins? or perchance some kind of hybrid? 🤔

BKColt
captain of 100

Post by BKColt »

Went to the Ft Collins temple a couple years ago to meet-up our grand-daughter from afar. As we sat behind the glass enclosed font, I thought for sure there was a young teen girl baptizing another teen girl. Took awhile for it to sink in. Priests were new to being able to baptize in the temple, and there was a priest with very long blonde hair performing the ordinance,with his back to our view. Was actually a very enlightening moment.
Last edited by BKColt on July 18th, 2021, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.