Circular Tabernacle

For non-mainstream, heterodoxical discussions. Request access to the Heretic Group here.
Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Circular Tabernacle

Post by Pazooka »

I’ve been waiting for Andy Hoy to make a video like this. He deconstructs the image we’ve had passed down of a rectangular tabernacle in the wilderness, explains how attempts to make that work don’t fit with the specs given to Moses.

He’s an engineered who studied Hebrew in Israel. He noticed Pi in the specs. What the tabernacle reveals about God and creation is worth looking into.

Can watch comfortably at 1.5 speed

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Circular Tabernacle

Post by Pazooka »

Screenshot
Attachments
4B6142E5-D323-413D-9AC0-0CD0F72E821E.png
4B6142E5-D323-413D-9AC0-0CD0F72E821E.png (221.11 KiB) Viewed 583 times

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Great Sunday research
Attachments
6AD534C2-EE6B-472E-9F9D-E3BDCC606BBD.jpeg
6AD534C2-EE6B-472E-9F9D-E3BDCC606BBD.jpeg (210.13 KiB) Viewed 576 times

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

The English word "dome" ultimately derives from the ancient Greek and Latin domus ("house"), which, up through the Renaissance, labeled a revered house, such as a Domus Dei, or "House of God", regardless of the shape of its roof. This is reflected in the uses of the Italian word duomo, the German/Icelandic/Danish word dom ("cathedral") ~ Wikipedie under “Dome; etymology”
This leads me to wonder why David and/or Solomon broke with form and the design of what we call the Temple of Solomon.

There are a couple of sources that I’ve shared in other threads from apostles of the Restoration describing the temple at New Jerusalem being a large dome with 24 temples making up the periphery for the 24 offices of the priesthood.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Pazooka wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 10:04 am Great Sunday research
Gee whiz, looks very much like our SL Tabernacle, except for the oval vs. completely round shape. I wonder if inspiration or a close reading of the Hebrew OT description of Moses tabernacle played into the design of the SL tabernacle?

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

larsenb wrote: May 24th, 2021, 2:44 pm
Gee whiz, looks very much like our SL Tabernacle, except for the oval vs. completely round shape. I wonder if inspiration or a close reading of the Hebrew OT description of Moses tabernacle played into the design of the SL tabernacle?
“The Salt Lake Tabernacle was inspired by an attempt to build a Canvas Tabernacle in Nauvoo, Illinois, in the 1840s. This tabernacle was to be situated just to the West of the Nauvoo Temple and was to be oval shaped, much the same as the Salt Lake Tabernacle. However, the Nauvoo edifice (never built) was to have amphitheater-style or terraced seating, and was to have canvas roofing...

Henry Grow, an LDS civil engineer oversaw the initial construction of the Tabernacle, the domed roof being the most innovative portion of the building. Brigham Young, president of the LDS Church at the time, wanted the Tabernacle roof constructed in an elongated dome shape.”

https://theclio.com/entry/17003

Yeah, now you’ve got me wondering if there might really be a connection.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Pazooka wrote: May 24th, 2021, 3:53 pm
larsenb wrote: May 24th, 2021, 2:44 pm
“The Salt Lake Tabernacle was inspired by an attempt to build a Canvas Tabernacle in Nauvoo, Illinois, in the 1840s. This tabernacle was to be situated just to the West of the Nauvoo Temple and was to be oval shaped, much the same as the Salt Lake Tabernacle. However, the Nauvoo edifice (never built) was to have amphitheater-style or terraced seating, and was to have canvas roofing...

Henry Grow, an LDS civil engineer oversaw the initial construction of the Tabernacle, the domed roof being the most innovative portion of the building. Brigham Young, president of the LDS Church at the time, wanted the Tabernacle roof constructed in an elongated dome shape.”

https://theclio.com/entry/17003

Yeah, now you’ve got me wondering if there might really be a connection.
It seems that they specifically called the Nauvoo tabernacle “the Tabernacle of the congregation in Zion” - part of which is a reference to the Biblical time of Aaron.
https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/vie ... text=byusq

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

I LOL’ed at this ending to the last link provided above. Maybe Joseph Smith, who first introduced the plan to build the Nauvoo Tabernacle, knew something he didn’t. Would have been awesome. They ended up using the 4,000 yards of canvas purchased for the tabernacle to cover their wagons for the trek West.
The words “Tabernacle of the congregation” have led many to connect the nauvoo tabernacle with the tabernacle constructed by Moses in the wilderness. In a cursory comparison I have been unable to find any notable similarities between the two in shape size or purpose. The Nauvoo Tabernacle may however have provided the impetus in the unique design of the tabernacle on temple square in Salt
Lake City constructed under the direction of Brigham Young.” ~ Elden J. Watson