Let's Be Kind To Each Other

How can we improve the forum? Need help with something on the forum?
4Zion
captain of 10

Let's Be Kind To Each Other

Post by 4Zion »

Many posts I read here seem to be written in anger and hostility toward people who don’t meet our standards of conduct or have differing points of view.

When one of our own children falls away from the Gospel, do we want our other children to slander and shun them? Or do we want them to continually reach out with love and affection and the hope that our lost child will return to us? Does Heavenly want anything less for his children?

All of us have different trials to face in life and we need each other for strength. When we build each other up, we all become stronger. Lost souls can find their way home if our arms remain open. But, when we tear each other down, we are all weakened and the lost are turned away and forgotten.

The next time we are ready to post a message, I hope we will all stop to think…
Am I being kind? Am I speaking from a place of love? Will my words bring joy to others?

The Spirit of the Lord cannot dwell where there is bickering, judging, contention, or any kind of bashing. — Elder Marvin J. Ashton, Ensign, May 1992, p. 20

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Let's Be Kind To Each Other

Post by Col. Flagg »

I think some of the hostility comes from having long-held beliefs challenged with information seen as a threat to a paradigm or belief system. A lot of attacking the messenger happens here in the forum because of not wanting to read or accept info that conflicts with what someone was taught or thought was true as it pertains to church doctrine or history. I've been attacked mercilessly by several board members for simply stating that the true law of tithing requires 10% of our surplus and not gross or net income as currently expected by the church. Truth is truth and facts are facts, no matter how painful they may be to accept.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Col. Flagg wrote: October 3rd, 2018, 6:11 pm I think some of the hostility comes from having long-held beliefs challenged with information seen as a threat to a paradigm or belief system. A lot of attacking the messenger happens here in the forum because of not wanting to read or accept info that conflicts with what someone was taught or thought was true as it pertains to church doctrine or history. I've been attacked mercilessly by several board members for simply stating that the true law of tithing requires 10% of our surplus and not gross or net income as currently expected by the church. Truth is truth and facts are facts, no matter how painful they may be to accept.
Part of the problem is when we see ourselves as ones being bashed instead of the ones doing the bashing. Hi Col. cough, cough.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

4Zion wrote: October 3rd, 2018, 5:50 pm Many posts I read here seem to be written in anger and hostility toward people who don’t meet our standards of conduct or have differing points of view.

When one of our own children falls away from the Gospel, do we want our other children to slander and shun them? Or do we want them to continually reach out with love and affection and the hope that our lost child will return to us? Does Heavenly want anything less for his children?

All of us have different trials to face in life and we need each other for strength. When we build each other up, we all become stronger. Lost souls can find their way home if our arms remain open. But, when we tear each other down, we are all weakened and the lost are turned away and forgotten.

The next time we are ready to post a message, I hope we will all stop to think…
Am I being kind? Am I speaking from a place of love? Will my words bring joy to others?

The Spirit of the Lord cannot dwell where there is bickering, judging, contention, or any kind of bashing. — Elder Marvin J. Ashton, Ensign, May 1992, p. 20
I don't think we are angry or upset as it can appear.
That is the problem with the written word.

However, I will admit to my shame that I have ocassionally fallen into the keyboard warrior trap and said things that I wouldn't say face to face.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

The word, “kind” reminds me of superficially being nice while hiding something else underneath. And yet, maybe having a “sheathed sword” is better than waving it around.

And definitely, there are various ways something can be communicated. Most of us appreciate & respond better to respectful, compassion than bluntness - even if it may seem to be “beating around the bush.” Something I’m working on.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

I get mad when I see the church doing the bidding of the Ether 8 secret combination. COVID has put it right in our face.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

So where does righteous judgment come into play here? If a church leader does something that is contrary to God's will, do you speak up? That is blasphemy according to the church handbook. Even postulating on the idea that a common member could receive revelation contrary to a church leader is heresy. In many instances, you have church members like myself who were told a lie (or partial lies), and lived this lie, for most of their lives. The church has many false interpretations of scritpure. They promote many false ideas.

So I agree with Chip, you begin to get a little upset about current and past events. Can I still love them, yes, I can pray that all people come unto Christ, but that doesn't mean you have to drink the kool-aid.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Moneychangers may tell a different tale. :P

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=52189&p=1124195&hi ... n#p1124195
There’s a timely link to a similar demonstration in sub-forum #57.

abijah`
~dog days~

Post by abijah` »

So I get that "add foe" hides that user's posts, but does "add friend" do anything? I've never had any friends :)

Prana
captain of 100

Post by Prana »

abijah` wrote: May 12th, 2021, 7:27 pm So I get that "add foe" hides that user's posts, but does "add friend" do anything? I've never had any friends :)
We’ll consider I’d done amigo lol.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

abijah` wrote: May 12th, 2021, 7:27 pm So I get that "add foe" hides that user's posts, but does "add friend" do anything? I've never had any friends :)
When you add a friend, it really does nothing but make a list on your control panel. They don't know you've added them. When I was here as A Random Phrase, I had a long list of friends, but I have no idea if any of them had me listed as a friend. Now, I've got a very short list because it doesn't really add anything to my experience here. I know who I like; why list them?