If you have the Spirit, you have the Priesthood after the Order of the Son of God...

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Re: If you have the Spirit, you have the Priesthood after the Order of the Son of God...

Post by Craig Johnson »

Alexander wrote: April 7th, 2021, 12:14 pm
Craig Johnson wrote: April 7th, 2021, 12:11 pm
Luke wrote: April 7th, 2021, 12:10 pm
Craig Johnson wrote: April 7th, 2021, 12:10 pm

That is not priesthood.
Authority isn’t Priesthood? You just said it was
No I did not.
You did in fact say priesthood is authority.
Craig Johnson wrote: April 7th, 2021, 9:02 am Priesthood is the authority to act in behalf of God.
Do you retract your previous statement?
"You did in fact say priesthood is authority." No I did not. You are not quoting me, there is nothing to retract. My quote is right there above, quote the whole thing the way I wrote it, don't change a word.

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Re: If you have the Spirit, you have the Priesthood after the Order of the Son of God...

Post by Craig Johnson »

Alexander wrote: April 7th, 2021, 12:16 pm
Craig Johnson wrote: April 7th, 2021, 12:07 pm
Alexander wrote: April 7th, 2021, 9:21 am
Craig Johnson wrote: April 7th, 2021, 9:02 am

Disagree. Spirit is matter which cannot be discerned scientifically but can be felt personally . Priesthood is the authority to act in behalf of God. The two are not the same and merely feeling the Spirit does not grant a person any type of authority.

There is no scriptural passage that says, "Spirit is priesthood." It does not exist. This is an extrapolation which is not correct.
Priesthood is the relationship one has with God; the stewardship of a servant of the Lord, and the gifts and responsibilities tied with that stewardship. This relationship varies in strength and magnitude for all people. Some have a closer affinity with God, but this is all according to one's faith in Him. Many are called unto the Lord, but few are chosen. Essentially your priesthood is the level of light bestowed upon you from God according to your love and faith.

Spirit is the conduit or channel of this joint bond between you and the Lord. It is the word given by the spirit which gives you authority.

Spirit is truth. Glory is intelligence or light and truth. The telestial kingdom is of a smaller glory as the natural influence of God's glory in the telestial realm is as the light of Christ. However, as one exercises faith in coming to the Lord one can receive a fullness of the Holy Ghost and have Eternal Life. It functions like a conduit, or channel of light. A system of water pipes is often used as an analogy to help people understand how units of electricity work together, and in a similar manner does this explain the spiritual manifestations of God. In the analogy, voltage is equivalent to water pressure, current is equivalent to flow rate and resistance is equivalent to pipe size. If we increase the pressure in the tank, more water will come out of the hose. Thus, if we increase the voltage in an electrical system, we will also increase the current. If we make the diameter of the hose smaller, resistance will increase, causing less water to come out of the hose. Thus, if we increase the resistance in an electrical system, we will decrease the current.

The natural man is our cloud. It is the veil put over our eyes. Knowledge is a reference to our relationship with the Lord, which relationship will determine the level of intelligence that we receive. This is all according to our repentance and God's grace. God's spirit increases if we have less resistance. If we make the diameter of the hose larger, the current will increase and flow. To be “awakened” by the Lord is the quickening of the spirit according to the resurrection of light, the gift of the Holy Ghost which brings us into the presence of the Lord. These are literally pillars of light. The Lord increases his pressure when we are baptized by fire, and more glory is sent down the channel into our hearts and minds. The gift of the Holy Ghost is to change our spirits to a higher more open state; literally decreasing our resistance and opening up the channel.

Think of God's glory like the rays of sun, or the crown/halo/nimbus/aureole of intelligence extending from the head. It's like an amoeba with pseudopods, or temporary arm-like projections, almost like tendrils or vines or filaments. I know this sounds weird, but I can see it in my minds eye. The vines are like strings, and connect themselves to the children of Light; these are the channels of God. The strings must be continually tuned to create harmony. God's vibrations and glory will increase as we open these furrows. The larger they become, the more explosive these currents are, and the deeper resonance they have. It's like a symphony.
You have written a lot of words that do not in anyway prove your statement or confirm it to be accurate.
See the scriptures provided above by Luke and I. They should sufficiently substantiate my words. Or do you need me to expand more on the topic?
I see zero substantiation.

Alexander
the Great
Location: amongst the brotherhood of the Black Robed Regiment; cocked hat and cocked rifle

Post by Alexander »

Craig Johnson wrote: April 7th, 2021, 12:18 pm
Luke wrote: April 7th, 2021, 12:10 pm

Authority isn’t Priesthood? You just said it was
No I did not.
Craig Johnson wrote: April 7th, 2021, 9:02 am Priesthood is the authority to act in behalf of God.
"You did in fact say priesthood is authority." No I did not. You are not quoting me, there is nothing to retract. My quote is right there above, quote the whole thing the way I wrote it, don't change a word.
I thought that the segment [to act in behalf of God] was implied based on the context of the conversation. We are, after all, talking about authority of God. Hence my observation that you believe authority to be priesthood. I even included the quote so I wouldn't portray what you say incorrectly, though for some reason you claim I did so anyway? Luke gave a scripture that the authority of God is given by the spirit to show that priesthood is in fact connected to sprit.

Do you not agree with this? Perhaps you could clarify your position rather than giving small answers and clips telling us what what we are getting wrong about what you are saying, since you clearly haven't given a sufficient answer in the beginning anyways. I expect scriptural proof for your argument since you deny my explanation, even though reasonable understanding can be made from the text of scriptures I included above from the Book of Mormon.

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

The spirit and the priesthood are NOT the same thing, but they are connected to each other.

Alexander
the Great
Location: amongst the brotherhood of the Black Robed Regiment; cocked hat and cocked rifle

Post by Alexander »

Spirit is the power/truth/light/glory/authority that comes through priesthood/relationship with God. The gifts of the spirit are the priesthood in action.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

The Spirit grants Priesthood power and authority. The Spirit is what gives you access to the Priesthood

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

There is a "priesthood" among those who seek unrighteousness. They seek "authority" and "jurisdiction" over other "realms."

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

“The Holy Ghost is God’s messenger to administer in all those priesthoods.” (Joseph Smith, TPJS 323, 27 August 1843)

Without the Holy Ghost, your Priesthood is dead, in fact it isn’t even a thing

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Matthias wrote: April 7th, 2021, 12:46 pm The spirit and the priesthood are NOT the same thing, but they are connected to each other.
Can you have the priesthood without having the Spirit?

But you can have the spirit without having the priesthood.

Can a person have this but not have the Priesthood?
16And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

18I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. 19Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. 20At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you. 21He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. 22Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world? 23Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. 24He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

25These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. 26But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
________

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

Alexander wrote: April 7th, 2021, 12:34 pm

No I did not.
I thought that the segment [to act in behalf of God] was implied based on the context of the conversation. We are, after all, talking about authority of God. Hence my observation that you believe authority to be priesthood. I even included the quote so I wouldn't portray what you say incorrectly, though for some reason you claim I did so anyway? Luke gave a scripture that the authority of God is given by the spirit to show that priesthood is in fact connected to sprit.

Do you not agree with this? Perhaps you could clarify your position rather than giving small answers and clips telling us what what we are getting wrong about what you are saying, since you clearly haven't given a sufficient answer in the beginning anyways. I expect scriptural proof for your argument since you deny my explanation, even though reasonable understanding can be made from the text of scriptures I included above from the Book of Mormon.
Priesthood is the authority to act in behalf of God, to do things He authorizes the holder to do and they are things that God would do if He were present - since His spirit is present priesthood is therefore not His spirit. There is nothing more to it than that. That is all I am saying. Priesthood is not the spirit, it is possible that a spirit being has priesthood authority, it is possible that the Holy Spirit will give a priesthood holder a certain commission or task, but, priesthood and spirit are too very different things. Priesthood is not just authority, it is a certain kind of authority, the authority to act in God's stead having been given His permission permanently as long as worthiness is maintained. Also, if the Holy Spirit gives a non-priesthood holding person a task, this does not mean the person is now a holder of the priesthood, it just means they are to do something as commanded by the Holy Spirit and despite the fact that this can be said to be doing something in the stead of God, it is different, it is a one time thing and not an ordinance bestowing permanent priesthood. To look at it as you are stipulating is incorrect, I can understand how a person could become confused on this point and if my explanation does not clear it up for you I recommend that you read some of the church publications that are available. Your quotations are being used skillfully, but incorrectly, therefore I must assume you are pushing this point for no good reason.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Craig Johnson wrote: April 7th, 2021, 5:11 pm

Priesthood is the authority to act in behalf of God, to do things He authorizes the holder to do and they are things that God would do if He were present - since His spirit is present priesthood is therefore not His spirit. There is nothing more to it than that. That is all I am saying. Priesthood is not the spirit, it is possible that a spirit being has priesthood authority, it is possible that the Holy Spirit will give a priesthood holder a certain commission or task, but, priesthood and spirit are too very different things. Priesthood is not just authority, it is a certain kind of authority, the authority to act in God's stead having been given His permission permanently as long as worthiness is maintained. Also, if the Holy Spirit gives a non-priesthood holding person a task, this does not mean the person is now a holder of the priesthood, it just means they are to do something as commanded by the Holy Spirit and despite the fact that this can be said to be doing something in the stead of God, it is different, it is a one time thing and not an ordinance bestowing permanent priesthood. To look at it as you are stipulating is incorrect, I can understand how a person could become confused on this point and if my explanation does not clear it up for you I recommend that you read some of the church publications that are available. Your quotations are being used skillfully, but incorrectly, therefore I must assume you are pushing this point for no good reason.

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

nightlight wrote: April 7th, 2021, 5:07 pm
It depends on what you mean by "having the spirit."

A person must first have received the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands before they can have the priesthood.

A person who has had the priesthood bestowed upon them must also live worthy to have the companionship of the Holy Ghost in order to exercise priesthood power.

If the spirit is grieved then the power withdraws until the man repents and the spirit returns.
nightlight wrote: April 7th, 2021, 5:07 pm But you can have the spirit without having the priesthood.
Sure.

Women and children can have the spirit and even the gift of the Holy Ghost and yet they don't have the priesthood.

A man who has been baptized and confirmed by the laying on of hands, but not yet ordained can have the spirit, too.

A person who has not yet accepted the fulness of the gospel and been baptized and received the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands can also feel the influence of the spirit and have a portion of the spirit with them according to their level of righteousness.
nightlight wrote: April 7th, 2021, 5:07 pm Can a person have this but not have the Priesthood?
16And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

18I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. 19Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. 20At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you. 21He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. 22Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world? 23Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. 24He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

25These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. 26But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
________
I'm not sure what you mean by "have this."

Jesus is speaking of both the First and Second Comforters here.

A person can receive the baptism of fire/gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands and not have the priesthood. This is a precursor to receiving the priesthood by the laying on of hands (or at least it should be).

As for the Second Comforter, a man cannot receive this without first being ordained to the priesthood.

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

Alexander wrote: April 7th, 2021, 1:34 pm Spirit is the power/truth/light/glory/authority that comes through priesthood/relationship with God. The gifts of the spirit are the priesthood in action.
The Spirit refers to the Holy Ghost, who is a personage and member of the Godhead, as well as his influence.

The priesthood is NOT a relationship with God. The priesthood is a portion of the power and authority of God given to certain men to carry out God's work here upon the earth.

A relationship with God is however necessary for a man who bears the priesthood of God to exercise it in righteousness.

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

nightlight wrote: April 7th, 2021, 5:52 pm

No, in the same way you cannot have a living body that does not have blood in it. Spirit, though it is not priesthood, as previously stated, is indispensable to the operation of the priesthood. In the same way a motor, which is not fuel, cannot operate without fuel. In the same way an electrical appliance, which is not electricity, cannot operate without electricity. In the same way a body of water, which is not wind or the pull of gravity, cannot ebb, flow and have waves without wind and the pull of gravity. In the same way a guitar, which is not air, cannot make sound without air for the vibration of its strings to sound through. In the same way an eye, which is not light, can see nothing without light to make things visible. Etcetera.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Craig Johnson wrote: April 7th, 2021, 7:23 pm

No, in the same way you cannot have a living body that does not have blood in it. Spirit, though it is not priesthood, as previously stated, is indispensable to the operation of the priesthood. In the same way a motor, which is not fuel, cannot operate without fuel. In the same way an electrical appliance, which is not electricity, cannot operate without electricity. In the same way a body of water, which is not wind or the pull of gravity, cannot ebb, flow and have waves without wind and the pull of gravity. In the same way a guitar, which is not air, cannot make sound without air for the vibration of its strings to sound through. In the same way an eye, which is not light, can see nothing without light to make things visible. Etcetera.
So you claim the priesthood is a tool to do things.

Can God give someone this tool without going through a middle man?

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Matthias wrote: April 7th, 2021, 6:15 pm
Alexander wrote: April 7th, 2021, 1:34 pm Spirit is the power/truth/light/glory/authority that comes through priesthood/relationship with God. The gifts of the spirit are the priesthood in action.
The Spirit refers to the Holy Ghost, who is a personage and member of the Godhead, as well as his influence.

The priesthood is NOT a relationship with God. The priesthood is a portion of the power and authority of God given to certain men to carry out God's work here upon the earth.

A relationship with God is however necessary for a man who bears the priesthood of God to exercise it in righteousness.
What if a man who is not righteous lays his hand on the head of a someone a gives to ordain him....does this person still get the priesthood?

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

nightlight wrote: April 7th, 2021, 7:58 pm

Priesthood is more like power or magic than a tool, i.e. I am not actually holding anything in my hand that you can see when I exercise the priesthood, still it is not wrong to call it a tool.
Only Adam and the original Apostles were ordained by God, see Moses chapter 6 and Mark chapter 3, after Adam God had plenty of others that He could send to perform ordinations when re-kickstarting the gospel work in a new dispensation, while He was on the earth in the flesh He did not need to send anyone to ordain those He could ordain by Himself. There may have been another instance of God ordaining person(s), but none come to mind right now. I do not accept claimed ordinations that are not recorded as legitimate by church authorities.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Craig Johnson wrote: April 7th, 2021, 8:28 pm

Priesthood is more like power or magic than a tool, i.e. I am not actually holding anything in my hand that you can see when I exercise the priesthood, still it is not wrong to call it a tool.
Only Adam and the original Apostles were ordained by God, see Moses chapter 6 and Mark chapter 3, after Adam God had plenty of others that He could send to perform ordinations when re-kickstarting the gospel work in a new dispensation, while He was on the earth in the flesh He did not need to send anyone to ordain those He could ordain by Himself. There may have been another instance of God ordaining person(s), but none come to mind right now. I do not accept claimed ordinations that are not recorded as legitimate by church authorities.
So you think an angel ordained Lehi?

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

nightlight wrote: April 7th, 2021, 8:27 pm

What if a man who is not righteous lays his hand on the head of a someone a gives to ordain him....does this person still get the priesthood?
No. But, we cannot be the ones who judge these circumstances. How would we know? We should be very careful about that.

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

nightlight wrote: April 7th, 2021, 8:30 pm
Craig Johnson wrote: April 7th, 2021, 8:28 pm

So you think an angel ordained Lehi?
I do not claim to know.

Here is a good answer about that: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... s?lang=eng

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Craig Johnson wrote: April 7th, 2021, 8:31 pm

No. But, we cannot be the ones who judge these circumstances. How would we know? We should be very careful about that.
This is where your doctrine falls apart

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

nightlight wrote: April 7th, 2021, 8:38 pm

I seriously doubt that.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Craig Johnson wrote: April 7th, 2021, 8:40 pm
nightlight wrote: April 7th, 2021, 8:38 pm

I seriously doubt that.
"All the Prophets had the Melchizedeck Priesthood and was ordained by God himself."
Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 180–81).

But now it's different? And you if you happen to have an unrighteous man do the ordination.... you're just out of luck, no matter your own standing before God????

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

Define "not righteous"

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Matthias wrote: April 7th, 2021, 8:58 pm

Define "not righteous"
For instance let’s say he was sleeping with prostitutes a week before he gave someone else the Priesthood