Spinal Headache Relief?

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
Lemarque
captain of 100

Spinal Headache Relief?

Post by Lemarque »

Long story short, my wife had an emergency c-section Thursday night. We think it was some type of placental abruption that happened. Very surprising for us, baby wasn't due until April 23. Anyway, all day Friday she couldn't even sit up because of how bad the headache was. Saturday morning they gave her a blood patch and that helped.

Because she gave birth at a small hospital, the regional hospital in Ogden sent a helicopter to fly the baby to the NICU they have there and I went to be with him. Saturday I drove home and picked her up to bring her down so she could be with the new baby.

Sunday afternoon (today), her headache came back. She can barely sit up to pump, let alone walk from our hotel room to the car to go to the hospital. Anyone have any experience with ways to reduce pain from spinal headaches? She's currently on tylenol and ibuprofen. The doctor gave a prescription for an opioid as well, but we'd like to avoid that.

KerriM
captain of 50

Re: Spinal Headache Relief?

Post by KerriM »

Aspirin free Exedrin can help. Ice on the back of the neck too. But those two weeks after having a c-section, I just took the opiod.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Soaking my head in hot water, really does the trick sometimes. Me mother would sometimes tell me to go hide my head, not sure where she came up with that one, but it does wonders for the worst of headaches. :lol:

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Lemarque, I don't know that I have many suggestions to help with this - but I wanted to say Congratulations on your new baby boy - and God bless you and your wife - praying for her, and all of you, sincerely.

As for the pain, I've never had a spinal headache that I'm aware of, but I do suffer from migraines fairly often. What helps the most is being in a cool, darkened, quiet room - and focusing on relaxing my head, neck, and back muscles - almost a meditation. Hard to do with a newborn for sure. But if she can manage a few times a day, maybe just resting in a cool, dark, quiet room - that might help. I would also check into some homeopathic remedies. Being in Utah, there are probably some naturopaths nearby - maybe give one of them a call, if you're wanting to avoid her taking the opioids.

All the best to you and your wife, and your new precious baby boy.

Lemarque
captain of 100

Post by Lemarque »

IMG_20210308_122647831~2.jpg
IMG_20210308_122647831~2.jpg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 249 times
Here he is, he's doing pretty good so far.

My wife's headache is doing sightly better, we tried some caffeine and she has been lying down almost all day. It's really amazing he came when he did, the doctor after the c section was removing the placenta and it was disintegrating. Normally it comes out in one piece, but as he was trying to remove it he would grab some to pull out and it would fall apart. He said he had never seen that before. So had baby not come when he did he most likely would be stillborn.

Lemarque
captain of 100

Post by Lemarque »

BeNotDeceived wrote: March 7th, 2021, 6:15 pm Soaking my head in hot water, really does the trick sometimes. Me mother would sometimes tell me to go hide my head, not sure where she came up with that one, but it does wonders for the worst of headaches. :lol:
My wife can't watch Finding Nemo without feeling like she can't breathe, so unfortunately this option isn't a good one for us. :)

Maybe I'll try soaking a towel in hot water and seeing if that helps.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Lemarque wrote: March 8th, 2021, 6:54 pm IMG_20210308_122647831~2.jpg

Here he is, he's doing pretty good so far.

My wife's headache is doing sightly better, we tried some caffeine and she has been lying down almost all day. It's really amazing he came when he did, the doctor after the c section was removing the placenta and it was disintegrating. Normally it comes out in one piece, but as he was trying to remove it he would grab some to pull out and it would fall apart. He said he had never seen that before. So had baby not come when he did he most likely would be stillborn.
Seeing miracles, much like beauty, is in the eyes of the beholder 😎 I know a miracle when I hear one/see one. Happy for you man. And your other rugrats were adorable too. Great family hermano 😇
We have so many awesome folks here on this board