Is it a sin to cut family out of your life?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
djinwa
captain of 100

Re: Is it a sin to cut family out of your life?

Post by djinwa »

The whole family thing is overrated.

I spent many years trying to stay connected with family, but they were always busy with church, or work, or some social group, and didn't have time to visit.

I eventually realized the church isn't for the family - the church is the family. And if not the church, whatever other group or friends people most relate to, and often that is not family.

I no longer feel guilty about not contacting them. If I've done the contacting, I let them take a turn and it can be years for some of my siblings.

I have little in common with my siblings. I once assumed they understood things as I do, but realized they haven't studied many things like I have. My mom once told me to vote for Romney. I asked her what he stood for, and she said she didn't know, but I could find out. Huh?

Genetics are random - your personality might be from a great great grandma, while your sister got hers from one of the other hundreds of ancestors. So you can have much more in common with unrelated people than with family.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Rwp wrote: November 10th, 2020, 9:35 pm I’ve tried really hard through the years to learn to keep my cool When it comes to my family but some of my family members are extremely manipulative, emotionally abusive, and toxic. One of my sisters in particular. She collects different family members allegiances and then turns everyone against each other. She trash talks everyone, gets the dirt on everyone’s life and then spins it behind your back.
. . .

My true question: Am I the only one with this complicated family stuff?? I feel extremely alone in my beliefs and my choice to have a family. I worry my children will have broken relationships with siblings as they get older, too. An I sinning by cutting them off? I’m about to have my fourth baby and it breaks my heart that they won’t ever know my kids.
I don't have this, but I know that if your family is as you describe, it's no sin to cut all ties with them. You can do so while still wishing the best for them. To wish the best for someone, even to forgive them, does not mean you are required to let them continue to harm you - unless God has given you some special (and plain) message that you, personally, need to suffer that.

AnotherLDSPatriot
captain of 100

Post by AnotherLDSPatriot »

There are two sides to this: those who are cut out, and those who cut others out.

Yogi Berra, the late master of the English language and Hall of Fame catcher once said, "If people don't want to come to the ballpark, how are you going to stop them?" That is, you can't stop them from cutting you out, so it's their loss.

Trucker
captain of 1,000

Post by Trucker »

If they are a danger to you physically, emotionally, or spiritually, it's not a sin to cut them out. You have to protect yourself and your children. But if they are just annoying, disappointing, or repulsive to you, and you aren't in danger, then I think you should not cut them out. Work with them the best you can.

Jamescm
captain of 100

Post by Jamescm »

My parents sprinted to the left when Donald Trump became president, accused me of going to the right, and can't have a conversation with me anymore without trying to convince me that "they know better" because they're older and that "I'll see it one day.". It is a tragic irony that they uphold the lies that I slowly abandoned and repented of.

One younger sister is very quiet about it all and busy in her life. She does not communicate much anymore, but my wife and I keep in touch with her. Another sister is a poster Democrat victim who deserves other people's money to subsidize her continuing poor life choices.

My parents are tired of supporting her in her idolatry and pursuit of carnal pleasure, a desire to get other people's money to pay for it may be a motivating factor to their left sprint. It has led to the three rejecting the Church and seeking the over the of others' liberty.